EA Forums - Banner

"Just the same" guys?

Prev134
No offence here, strictly out of curiosity, what exactly is it, that you guys that keep sayin its the same game, want to see as a change in the game?

it occurred to me that many of thoose I have come up against in this beta, play the exact way as many did in 20, and if you never going to change up your play, how is it suppose to be any diffrent then?

As I said, not trying to pick on you guys, just a serious question, what would you like to see as a change for it to be a diffrent game?

Replies

• The only way the game won't be "just the same" is if EA remakes the game from the ground up. And I'm not sure that's needed.
  • D19Box
    96 posts Member
    edited September 1
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    No offence here, strictly out of curiosity, what exactly is it, that you guys that keep sayin its the same game, want to see as a change in the game?

it occurred to me that many of thoose I have come up against in this beta, play the exact way as many did in 20, and if you never going to change up your play, how is it suppose to be any diffrent then?

As I said, not trying to pick on you guys, just a serious question, what would you like to see as a change for it to be a diffrent game?

While so far I've enjoyed the 21 Tech Test I'll say I fall more in the "it's the same" as 20 category a lot of people are in. I'm not sure I can articulate it well enough but I'll say that the foundation of the game does not feel like it's developed and grown to real organic, physics based hockey. It's essentially the same gameplay representation of previous editions of the sport.

The gameplay doesn't feel like it's progressed where one can say "okay this is different AND better". It's still all the same goals every game (backhand forehand deke, righties shooting stickside, one-t's.) While I appreciate the one-t because it encourages teamwork and passing most goals in the NHL are deflections off of screens and traffic in front, or net battles where you get a whack or two at it. That doesn't exist in ANY recent edition of NHL. Faceoffs are exactly the same, board play is the same, teams always score in the last 30 seconds of every period, inept AI, AI not moving the puck when you call for it the same, delayed shot followthrough on missed passes the same, visually it's so damn similar, wrong equipment on top players and missing likenesses the same etc. It all feels largely the same.

I do think the feature updates (chel ranking, club finals, be a pro overhaul) are nice. But at the end of the day has the core gameplay IMPROVED to be a "new" edition? Does it resemble hockey even more? No it does not. That aspect feels exactly the same to me. We all know how everyone is going to score and defend so to me the gaming experience between 19, 20, or 21 is just the same. The experience of playing either is so minimal it's basically no different.

For the record, I don't hate this game and I don't think it's trash. I enjoy boozing and playing online with my buddies but we don't take this product seriously in the least. It's not a great representation of real hockey. I'm just here for the beers and laughs.

Overall, the series in recent years is an animation heavy representation of a sport that really needs to be represented by a physics based approach and more organic scoring and gameplay to allow the gamer to feel they're in more control against an opponent rather than playing within a framework of heavy animations while everyone tries to get to the same spot and score the same goals every year.

I think as long as there is no other hockey game competition, or as long as people continue to financially support HUT and the NHL steamers and GC's push HUT, the core gameplay will never develop because financially they'll be no need for EA to do so. The first release on next gen will make or break the series.

So, while it may be a nice tuner 21 Tech Test is more a tuner/patch, not a new edition gaming experience.
    Visit my NHL/Bruins blog: BostonPucks.com
  • D19Box wrote: »

While so far I've enjoyed the 21 Tech Test I'll say I fall more in the "it's the same" as 20 category a lot of people are in. I'm not sure I can articulate it well enough but I'll say that the foundation of the game does not feel like it's developed and grown to real organic, physics based hockey. It's essentially the same gameplay representation of previous editions of the sport.

The gameplay doesn't feel like it's progressed where one can say "okay this is different AND better". It's still all the same goals every game (backhand forehand deke, righties shooting stickside, one-t's.) While I appreciate the one-t because it encourages teamwork and passing most goals in the NHL are deflections off of screens and traffic in front, or net battles where you get a whack or two at it. That doesn't exist in ANY recent edition of NHL. Faceoffs are exactly the same, board play is the same, teams always score in the last 30 seconds of every period, inept AI, AI not moving the puck when you call for it the same, delayed shot followthrough on missed passes the same, visually it's so damn similar, wrong equipment on top players and missing likenesses the same etc. It all feels largely the same.

I do think the feature updates (chel ranking, club finals, be a pro overhaul) are nice. But at the end of the day has the core gameplay IMPROVED to be a "new" edition? Does it resemble hockey even more? No it does not. That aspect feels exactly the same to me. We all know how everyone is going to score and defend so to me the gaming experience between 19, 20, or 21 is just the same. The experience of playing either is so minimal it's basically no different.

For the record, I don't hate this game and I don't think it's trash. I enjoy boozing and playing online with my buddies but we don't take this product seriously in the least. It's not a great representation of real hockey. I'm just here for the beers and laughs.

Overall, the series in recent years is an animation heavy representation of a sport that really needs to be represented by a physics based approach and more organic scoring and gameplay to allow the gamer to feel they're in more control against an opponent rather than playing within a framework of heavy animations while everyone tries to get to the same spot and score the same goals every year.

I think as long as there is no other hockey game competition, or as long as people continue to financially support HUT and the NHL steamers and GC's push HUT, the core gameplay will never develop because financially they'll be no need for EA to do so. The first release on next gen will make or break the series.

So, while it may be a nice tuner 21 Tech Test is more a tuner/patch, not a new edition gaming experience.

While i unfortunately never got my code, this is my exact issue with this game for years now. Slap a new coat of paint on and make a few miniscule tweaks but its felt exactly the same for years. Until a new engine is used this game will be stale.

It was a long and honest answer, I can see why you feel that way. And to some point I can even agree.

But just to say "its the same game" its unfair, cause as long as its hockey and not football we're playing, alot of things will remind us of the previous game. Beacuse its a annual release, I see it as a puzzle, thats never really going to be complete, but slowly piece by piece improve the conditions for this 'same game' to be 'same game but a little better'.

I really enjoy the improvement I noted so far in this Technical beta I play, and importen not to forget, its not 100% yet, they will still have time to give love and work to the game before realese.

But as you said, this is what we have, its not going to change to a game we all going to feel, "wooow, what is thiiiis?".. But maybe next gen will do, untill then I know im going to have alot fun with 21.

Did we just become friends?
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    D19Box wrote: »

Do you wanna go do karate in the garage?
    If you could be one dinosaur what would it be?
  • Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »

Velociraptor.
    Visit my NHL/Bruins blog: BostonPucks.com
  • Kmahrle83
    367 posts Member
    edited September 1
    Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »

Velociraptor.

If you had to be with one man who would it be? Lmao

Hint: john stamos
  • By me...... nhl21 is very good.

Animations are better and that can't be fixed with a tuner.
    I don't know the goalkeeper, but it seems the same to me.
    But I had no problem with the goalkeeper in nhl20 and I hope that the physics of the puck's rebound from the goalkeeper did not change in nhl21.
    But in the test I did not see a single goal when the puck bounces from the goalkeeper to the goal ....
    The players visibly skate better and there has probably been some correction to the animation and it is also possible to see how they finally have a problem in speed to make a quick turn.

Unfortunately, the faceoff is exactly the same, not even a sign of change ... at the same time, it would be enough if the puck did not bounce off the center hockey stick exactly every time on the defense hockey stick .... yes, it should be enough to make it look different.
    a huge tragedy

But in the end, I'm quite pleasantly surprised. I like the graphics as EA has improved it. Font of letters too (except for the scoreboard, which is down again and does not look interactive again. At the same time, it would be enough to add more data to one format and not switch between two screens)

If EA can make a nice "AM Pro" screen partitions, then why do we have to look at the absolutely ugly EA logo in nhl matches, how ugly it rotates with each replay ???????

Of course we're only talking about offline mods, so in the end I'm looking forward to nhl21! Online modes don't interest me .... sorry.

Is it possible that I saw the players grab the puck by hand again ?? And even at the mantinel! I missed that in nhl20. Can EA confirm it ???
  • I did not get into the beta test in time so I'm completely basing this off of previous iterations and the feedback of users here and reddit. I also play the game primarily offline, I just find the cheese goals and toxic environment of some of the online community off-putting, so my hopes are for improvements in the modes I play the most. Those two modes have also been the most disappointing for me in the past... Be a Pro and Franchise. That said...

The skating and impact physics have been improved somewhat over the last several years, nothing game changing, but improved none-the-less. Physics for the puck, passing, players, impact, etc leave a lot of room for continued growth to be sure. I haven't tested this yet obviously only taking feedback from others who have.

Be a Pro:
    It's boring, incredibly slow to progress and improve, flat "story line", and just feels like you are playing in a pee wee Franchise. I love to play the game, but playing every other game of the season to progress is like level grinding in other games. In the first few seasons the player makes such small strides and improvements that it is tedious to play. However by the time a player has improved enough to enjoy playing, the next game is out and you end up starting all over again. What should be my favorite mode based on how I want to play, becomes tedious and not fun at all. For me and my personal preferences, I am really hoping that the new BAP utilizes some of the some of the tools used for FIFA, Madden, etc and gives it a more vibrant experience.

Franchise:
    The scouting was a nice improvement for maybe two seasons? Then it just became busy work that I eventually turned off. Even with the trades difficulty turned to the hardest setting, it is still ridiculously easy to take a team from rebuilder to Stanley Cup champs in the same season and continue through the next 5-10 seasons through trading for young superstars. Line chemistry helped a little bit, but overall it is easy to ignore and still have the team perform well via simming the season.

BAP & Franchise both:
    Please, for the love of the hockey gods, give every player a face instead of the blank grey outline. I completely understand the NHLPA rules about using actual player likenesses, however new cpu generated players coming up in the draft can easily have the same generated images from the face models from the on-ice players.

The same goes for year by year and career stats, awards won, etc. These are tracked in the game to trigger announcer and player celebrations on the ice, career numbers when retired, etc. When I look at a player details, there should be a yearly list of stats and career stats. This was in the game for many years then removed the past several. Same with player awards!

All that said... I buy the game every year (I know, not voting with wallet and all) and these are the disappointments I have every year. I hope the game is better this year, I hope the new BAP is all they are hyping it to be.

• I don't think this dev team is actually trying anymore (and hasn't for years). As others have said, the money comes in, they make some tweaks, and call it a "new game". Yes, I totally agree, it can't feel completely different because a game of hockey is a game of hockey.

But by that same token, they shouldn't have nearly as much to fix year to year either. They are not reinventing the wheel each year. But when they keep going back and forth on how overpowered poke checks should be...or how hitting should work, it sets the series back with the progress it COULD be making.

Ultimately, they need to make a fun game again. Somewhere along the line, they got hung up on "realism" in a game where you can just skate straight past a mindless AI defender who doesn't do anything to impede you (doesn't play the body, doesn't poke, doesn't sticklift)...and then flip a backhand past a mindless goalie who doesn't react until it's too late.

They're not even fixing glitches anymore. Example? On a penalty shot, you can skate straight into the boards (left boards if you're a right handed skater), rub down the boards to the faceoff circle, then just cut straight across, and watch the goalie charge out at you as you go around him and tap the puck into the net. This worked all last year...and it works again in the NHL 21 tech test.

How can you call any of that "realistic"? And there are countless other examples. So, if you're not making a realistic hockey game, at least make a fun one. Bring back big hits, falling into the bench, injuring yourself on missed hits, ducking to avoid a hit and sending people flying, breaking the glass, first person fighting, and the Winter Classic. Give us the skills competition, zamboni races, Be A Ref, etc. THAT'S what they could be doing if they felt any passion or creativity at all for this sport.
  • Also, radical opinion...remove AI (except goalie of course) from all online teamplay modes. Let people play 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, and 5v5. Stop making games luck of the draw with who gets the AI that plays defense and who doesn't.
  • In terms of movement and stuff, very rarely have I ever said "oh, this is nice"; almost always (like with 21) I play 5 minutes and say to myself "ew, this doesn't feel right", but eventually adapt.

I play with 1, sometimes 2 other players in EASHL - I absolutely can't stand how window lickery the AI is, it physically hurts my body and soul. 6v6 players should have pretty much 0 reason to complain about anything in the game but for those that play with cpu teammates, EA's lack of passion is abhorrently apparent
  • Things that make it feel like the same game;
    The preset classes have not changed at all, except in the beta, they took some traits out and color coded 2 different types of traits now. They had new preset classed for one year (Jumbo playmaker) then took it out. Other then that all of the preset classes are the exact same. (Which got boring after the second year). Finding a game is basically the exact same, oh you can now have different options for your search, but end result is the same. I've had 2 attempts and I get the "failed to find opponent" messages. Still hard to fill a room up in a decent amount of time.
    Onto gameplay, yes some things feel different and better, (hitting and puck pickups) but it also still feels like 20, where you just have to run into someone to loose the puck, even harassing them off the puck doesn't seem to work as well yet..
    Im sick of playing outdoors ALL THE TIME, as well as sicknof only seeing the hammerheads and lions. (Boring) oh cool you can unlock different things to wear in drop ins still... spoiler alert you only see you guys wear what you put on him in 3s... doesn't matter for 6s, you wear the same top in every game.. (white hoodie or black hoodie).

For the last 6 years this franchise has made very few improvements each year, and these forums fill up with what people like and don't like. Yet over the last 6 years the newest things you've added was, ones eliminator and 3s... (which I don't remember people going crazy for any of those modes ever..) what the point of playing those new modes, when the goalies are dummed down so much that it takes little to no effort to score a goal (which is why those modes are dumb). You want to keep those modes, put them into the BAP story or something (randomly play a 1v1 against a real NHL star or something, or play 3s against any ahl or nhl stars to in your career or something) drop ins have been cluttered with so much extra crap, it just feels like a headache just to navigate where you gotta go in the menus) I'm really hoping that in 22 you guys go all out and actually try to "wow" us, bring the game back to NHL 14 type of game, where we can't wait to get online and someone grind out online games for attributes or something.
  • Also, radical opinion...remove AI (except goalie of course) from all online teamplay modes. Let people play 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, and 5v5. Stop making games luck of the draw with who gets the AI that plays defense and who doesn't.

Im gonna go ahead and say hard no on this idea.. if they want to do something like that, make an actual nhl style arcade game (nhl threes on the 360). They just actually need to work on their AI throughout the year, instead of a like 5 tuners a year that mainly focus on HUT. They need to just make a separate nhl title and put 3s, 1s eliminator in that game. IMO like I've said before, there's too much clutter in drop-ins just to get to the locker room to select your position.
  • Sega82mega
    1946 posts Member
    edited September 2
    I had a breakthrough this evning with this beta, were it -really- felt diffrent, it did cause me alot of losses, but im still learning this playstyle, and the times when it clicked, it was pure fun.

I bealive what I do and many other's do when a new realese comes out is that we just jump in from where we left and we do the exact things we did in the previous game, in our wish to win games, we're often to scared to just put the score aside and try to really get to know the game from scratch.

What I did... I started to play with vision control, and to go really easy on the gas.. Pass the puck around, no rush.. I went on some 1-7 losses here and there but eventually things started to go my way. Its a lovely feeling with learning curves when you feel you are getting somewhere and I think this game with how they put together L2 can be something really new and fresh for this game.

I would - really - really, recommend people to try new ways on the ice, and slow down, try for 5 games to never touch the "speed-Button", find new ways to get up on ice without speed... Just an example... , this will give you alot more variation in your own game style and maybe it can make you feel different for the game.

Just wanted to share some thoughts, have a good night.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 3

Basically, everything that was said here with the only change being that I think this game relies heavily in a VERY limited (and very basic) amount of animations to be able to convey what hockey really feels like. The same tired animations play out for the same tired mechanics that get abused every year because there's no other way to play this game to any semblance of enjoyment.

Be it because the dev team lacks any kind of direction from the higher ups at EA or because of a general apathy to innovate in a genre that is, by its very nature, a very niche sport that caters to a specific audience or because like all other sports games it needs to be on a yearly cycle unlike other AAA games, the end result is that this is and will be largely the same "videogame" playing the same way and having many of the same issues its had for years and years and years.

I would like nothing but to sing the praise of a videogame representation of my favorite sport. Not this year. Not last year. Or the year before that. Or the year before THAT. Or even the year BEFORE that.... But you know where this is going, don't you?

Because it's all been said before. And it will be said again in the Future. Like Agent Smith told Neo: "It is inevitable..."
  • Oslik1000
    465 posts Member
    edited September 3
    "I would like nothing but to sing the praise of a videogame representation of my favorite sport. Not this year. Not last year. Or the year before that. Or the year before THAT. Or even the year BEFORE that.... But you know where this is going, don't you?"

right.

after playing the same scheme, I wonder: what are we all waiting for?

what do we really want from EA?

top hockey has only 3 basic rules: perfect bulls (faceoff) = it's not just tapped into the puck, it's been learned every 10 years of every hockey school! it's strategy, training, thinking, determination plus luck, but also the talent and art of the top player to win even an undefeated bull (faceoff)! every other hockey game starts there, but EA hasn't even started there yet!

the first battles and promises came from EA ...

and yes, it's still waiting and this will start.

then here we have passes and position games ... unfortunately still the same scheme when EA is not able to teach the pieces on the ice to stand in the way of passes or shots ...
    why?
    This is the second basic point of learning it for 10 years at hockey school!
    Not all players can defend!
    He always takes only the designated attacker and it is not possible for him to leave the guarded player!
    And the defenders dismantle the opponent's best attackers! Is it really that hard to program this ????????

I guess so .... unfortunately And then we have the third pillar of the whole hockey game and that is a goal move or a defensive game.
    In both cases, however, the goal of the data is goal! Yes, even though I'm taking it, I'm trying to get a goal from the break, but it's definitely not possible to just throw pucks all the time, as AI from EA keeps doing.
    The players would get nowhere ....

Yes, TOP hockey has 3 basic rules and none of them is able to program EA as a base. Like a perfect foundation. And on this basis he can pack everything else. But no house stands without a foundation. So even this game will never move anywhere. Not even a year, unfortunately.

EA has added a few strategies or even chemistry to the team, but it's completely unnecessary. because the game is enough with one single strategy and everything more is really just an extra sauce that creates even more problems. That's why even the basic principles don't work and the game doesn't have the basic rules of hockey for a great mark.
  • I think to most people "just the same" means they still didn't address all the things you have wanted fixed over the years, such as glitch goals.
  • IceLion68
    832 posts Member
    edited September 3
    Also, radical opinion...remove AI (except goalie of course) from all online teamplay modes. Let people play 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, and 5v5. Stop making games luck of the draw with who gets the AI that plays defense and who doesn't.

Im gonna go ahead and say hard no on this idea.. if they want to do something like that, make an actual nhl style arcade game (nhl threes on the 360). They just actually need to work on their AI throughout the year, instead of a like 5 tuners a year that mainly focus on HUT. They need to just make a separate nhl title and put 3s, 1s eliminator in that game. IMO like I've said before, there's too much clutter in drop-ins just to get to the locker room to select your position.

Agreed. The solution is to make the AI usable.

Someone on Answers HQ was talking about introducing more programmed "randomness" to the game (shudder) and cited breakaways as something that heavily favors the shooter in the game whereas its more 50/50 IRL (his assertion, not mine and I don't care to argue that point). He was suggesting making the outcome random. My take was "or... just fix goaltending?"

Similar situation I think
    Post edited by IceLion68 on
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.