EA Forums - Banner

Let's Talk: NHL 21 Gameplay Trailer

Replies

• VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 18
    Oslik1000 wrote: »
    nhl dev from redit
    "It may be more that you felt there should be a bigger penalty to their speed. They definitely don't gain speed. While in defensive skill stick, there isn't an impact to your backskating ability which is already minimized due to skating backwards but when skating forwards, there is a penalty to your top speed potential. With the changes to acceleration to different directions this year, it makes pivot timing more important and you may see that have an impact in the scenarios you were seeing players catch up as well."

i can not translate this. it is positive or negative for defense play? thx

Definitely a negative for defense. Now not only to do you have to be playing WAY back so that Forwards don't simply zip by you (due to the nerfs to backskating), you will also be punished for turning around (from skating backwards to forwards).

This is the "fix" they found to please the ballerina dancers upset with the nerf to LT and allow more offense in the game. As if that's what the game needed... More offense!

In short terms: Defense needs to be even more surgical in how the play than ever before, Offense gets to do what they want, when they want, BECAUSE they want...
  • Imma put it here.. But I hope EA go easy on high rated cards in 21..lately started to play online vs instead of HUT. But today I jumped in to HUT champ, and oboy, the speed balance is zero, it gets so clear, after 4 days in online vs.

I think its especially the speed every card has that makes every opponent to a living tornado. No control or what so ever, just pass the puck forward and hope for some luck.

I think Fifa is more down to earth when it comes to rating the cards.

HUT is like driving a Ford on a Ferrari engine with no brakes.
  • Follisimo
    1029 posts Member
    edited September 18
    nhl dev from redit
    "It may be more that you felt there should be a bigger penalty to their speed. They definitely don't gain speed. While in defensive skill stick, there isn't an impact to your backskating ability which is already minimized due to skating backwards but when skating forwards, there is a penalty to your top speed potential. With the changes to acceleration to different directions this year, it makes pivot timing more important and you may see that have an impact in the scenarios you were seeing players catch up as well."

You can swing your stick around without losing speed. (good)

If you need to pivot because of bad positioning or they are blowing by you then it will take you out of the play (bad if you don't position gap and/or read the play properly)

Overall it will not end well for many people who were want to play a tight in your face. It's done so teams can't trap the blue line as well without getting burned. So defense have to back up and give some space and determine when the right time to make their move is or simply play them wide and wait for a mistake from them while they are waiting for a mistake from you.

It's their way of making the skill gap a huge amount for defense. Great teams will not be as effected but teams that run around and push at the wrong times will be feeling the pain.

Me as a goalie.... Well my life is just going to be hell all year.

• Sega82mega wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Interesting info from Ben on reddit:

I'm too lazy to search. Can you post the link to his reddit please and thanks?

I actually like what I am reading here. I am curious to see how it plays out in practice. I have been so whipped playing D that I try not to poke check much any more so I cant validate any of this from the tech test...

It would have been nice if they had released info, even informally here. BEFORE the test so we could have known what to be on the lookout for.

Ofc my friend... Thats the whole Q&A, Over 200 posts, so I tryed to cherry pick what I liked most.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLHUT/comments/iuopyf/nhl_21_qa_with_lead_gameplay_producer_ben_ross/
    Thank you!
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    Just a general side comment:

Anyone lamenting the lack of the jump to new console technology must have a very short memory

#NHL15

It was different when it went from the PS360 to PS4XB1 eras as they used different chipsets. Now they use the x86 which is pretty much the PC setup and even the new consoles will be using the same so going from 1 to the other won't cause the same porting problems.
    Follisimo wrote: »
    Honestly from reading the Dev comments I think stacking defensive awareness even as a forward is gonna be the best thing all-around.

Sorry wdym by this. Specifically "stacking"?

Oh I was rambling on about EASHL stuff. I'm a 6s player and it's the only mode that matters to me in the series. So I was thinking from what Ben had said on the reddit. It makes defense awareness seem like a top thing

Right - but what is "stacking" in this context?

( I am EASHL only also)
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    Just a general side comment:

Anyone lamenting the lack of the jump to new console technology must have a very short memory

#NHL15

It was different when it went from the PS360 to PS4XB1 eras as they used different chipsets. Now they use the x86 which is pretty much the PC setup and even the new consoles will be using the same so going from 1 to the other won't cause the same porting problems.
    Honestly from reading the Dev comments I think stacking defensive awareness even as a forward is gonna be the best thing all-around.

Sorry wdym by this. Specifically "stacking"?

Oh I was rambling on about EASHL stuff. I'm a 6s player and it's the only mode that matters to me in the series. So I was thinking from what Ben had said on the reddit. It makes defense awareness seem like a top thing

Right - but what is "stacking" in this context?

( I am EASHL only also)

Well for me as a forward I would use a TWF and use traits that raise defensive awareness as much as possible.

As for a defender then most likely TWD and same things. Raise that defensive awareness from traits as much as possible.

I want to be able to pick off as many passes as possible. Cause in that Tech Beta I used an Offensive Dman and passes were getting by me way more often than I would have thought. So my thinking from what Ben said is to get as much of the defensive awareness as possible.

nhl dev from redit

If you need to pivot because of bad positioning or they are blowing by you then it will take you out of the play (bad if you don't position gap and/or read the play properly)

Overall it will not end well for many people who were want to play a tight in your face. It's done so teams can't trap the blue line as well without getting burned. So defense have to back up and give some space and determine when the right time to make their move is or simply play them wide and wait for a mistake from them while they are waiting for a mistake from you.

It's their way of making the skill gap a huge amount for defense. Great teams will not be as effected but teams that run around and push at the wrong times will be feeling the pain.

Sounds much more like hockey. Im so tired of this straight forward offense straight forward defense. Its like Usain Bolt would run a marathon on full speed all the way to the finish line, and still win.
    nhl dev from redit

Sounds much more like hockey. Im so tired of this straight forward offense straight forward defense. Its like Usain Bolt would run a marathon on full speed all the way to the finish line, and still win.

Oh trust me offense is gonna be able to zoom by defense if they aren't paying much attention and that is a given. Teams will learn to cherry pick at the right times leaving those dmen not watching to be left flat-footed. Overall the change was done IMO to allow easier entry into the offensive zone.

• Sega82mega
    1883 posts Member
    edited September 18
    nhl dev from redit

Oh trust me offense is gonna be able to zoom by defense if they aren't paying much attention and that is a given. Teams will learn to cherry pick at the right times leaving those dmen not watching to be left flat-footed. Overall the change was done IMO to allow easier entry into the offensive zone.

Yeah but thats fine for me.. If they able to pick the right time.. Hockey is slow and fast.. In this game never slow..

Today you can get away with pretty much everything without paying any attention, and if you do pay attention, dosent really mather for the outcome.

Time to put in some proper skill-gap.
    Well for me as a forward I would use a TWF and use traits that raise defensive awareness as much as possible.

As for a defender then most likely TWD and same things. Raise that defensive awareness from traits as much as possible.

I want to be able to pick off as many passes as possible. Cause in that Tech Beta I used an Offensive Dman and passes were getting by me way more often than I would have thought. So my thinking from what Ben said is to get as much of the defensive awareness as possible.

Ah OK yes, I do this also. I thought you were saying there was a way somehow to literally stack the two Defensive awareness traits LOL
  • Trust me when I say that the LT pivot on offense is still being used. More than 20. LT was abused, and there are now about 20 more deke attempts and successes made in games. They made small forwards much faster than in 20, so it seems they aren't losing too much speed doing it. Now couple this with being able to deke without losing speed, with the same puck magnet design we all know and love. What a freaking disaster. So your answer for buffing the offense is to nerf the defensive pivot? For what? I'm an amateur hockey player and I can pivot 180 degrees from back to front, front to back, without losing speed. I don't know how many times the Islander's tried to blow by Tampa's D last night and just got destroyed because it's easier to match a streaking winger's speed when he's got two hands on his stick, than it is to pivot with one hand on the stick. Then they would poke the puck away.

This is all done to give offense more space because people were whining about the trap? WELL, DUMP IT. I'm not giving this company my money to be disappointed another year.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    nhl dev from redit

Definitely a negative for defense. Now not only to do you have to be playing WAY back so that Forwards don't simply zip by you (due to the nerfs to backskating), you will also be punished for turning around (from skating backwards to forwards).

This is the "fix" they found to please the ballerina dancers upset with the nerf to LT and allow more offense in the game. As if that's what the game needed... More offense!

In short terms: Defense needs to be even more surgical in how the play than ever before, Offense gets to do what they want, when they want, BECAUSE they want...

As a dman and a fan of hockey, I love the changes. It’s more of a dynamic game and forces you to think more.

There is a learning curve for sure.

However dumping is vastly improved, and saucing. It’s more intuitive. The puck doesn’t get shot over the end boards on a neutral zone dump 😂. Putting the puck where you want it is possible . Good teams which understand puck moving will dominate.

Incidental contact is nerfed- but poke, tie ups, stick lift all work very well. So it seems like the meta of “standing there doing nothing” is gone. You get rewarded for being active on your defensive target
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 20
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    nhl dev from redit

As a dman and a fan of hockey, I love the changes. It’s more of a dynamic game and forces you to think more.

However dumping is vastly improved, and saucing. It’s more intuitive. The puck doesn’t get shot over the end boards on a neutral zone dump 😂. Putting the puck where you want it is possible . Good teams which understand puck moving will dominate.

Incidental contact is nerfed- but poke, tie ups, stick lift all work very well. So it seems like the meta of “standing there doing nothing” is gone. You get rewarded for being active on your defensive target

How does forcing d-men to play BACK and stand still even more than before "benefit defense"? It's like saying driving a Formula One car with punctured tires and reducing the steering wheel's maximum angle to 90° instead of 270° makes me drive faster around a track. Did you read what you typed?

LOL.

Dump and chase is one of my most favorite plays to go for. And when I tried it in the beta, the same thing happened that happens in NHL 20: unless you dump it cross-corner from the red line, it WILL go over the glass. How is it better? Nothing's changed.

"Good teams that understand puck moving will dominate" because the defense got nerfed (AGAIN) when it didn't need to. Offense will be even more OP than ever. The last thing this game needed in the past 15 years is MORE offense.

But what do I know... I'm just a fan of Hockey.
    nhl dev from redit

How does forcing d-men to play BACK and stand still even more than before "benefit defense"? It's like saying driving a Formula One car with punctured tires and reducing the steering wheel's maximum angle to 90° instead of 270° makes me drive faster around a track. Did you read what you typed?

LOL.

Dump and chase is one of my most favorite plays to go for. And when I tried it in the beta, the same thing happened that happens in NHL 20: unless you dump it cross-corner from the red line, it WILL go over the glass. How is it better? Nothing's changed.

"Good teams that understand puck moving will dominate" because the defense got nerfed (AGAIN) when it didn't need to. Offense will be even more OP than ever. The last thing this game needed in the past 15 years is MORE offense.

It’ll be harder for people to escape In the corners. It’s easier to keep small guys to the outside
    nhl dev from redit

You must've been playing a different beta than I was. Hm.
  • Sega82mega
    1883 posts Member
    edited September 20
    What people seem to forget is that we all have our own way of playing this game. Some has more skill then other's, so whats work for him might not work for you.

And even if it look like everyone plays the exact same way as everyone else do thats not true either.

To make a successful dump it takes abit more underlying 'puck-job' then just skate up to the neutral zone and press for a dump.

Of course the game will play out diffrent dependent on who's holding the controller.

*without sayin anyone suck just beacuse it dosent work for you, thats not what im looking for here. Just some understanding.
    What people seem to forget is that we all have our own way of playing this game. Some has more skill then other's, so whats work for him might not work for you.

And even if it look like everyone plays the exact same way as everyone else do thats not true either.

To make a successful dump it takes abit more underlying 'puck-job' then just skate up to the neutral zone and press for a dump.

Of course the game will play out diffrent dependent on who's holding the controller.

*without sayin anyone suck just beacuse it dosent work for you, thats not what im looking for here. Just some understanding.

Once again, I think you and others are getting confused between hut/versus and EASHL. Most of us (if not all) who are giving are constructive criticism about all the new offensive tools and the defence being nerfed
    are d men or goalies on a club.
  • beer354 wrote: »

Once again, I think you and others are getting confused between hut/versus and EASHL. Most of us (if not all) who are giving are constructive criticism about all the new offensive tools and the defence being nerfed
    are d men or goalies on a club.

I get that to a certain point. Of course if there's going to be 12 human brains(full team) on the ice, there's going to be a whole nother gameplay. With alot of errors. But even there, every player is on he's own and every decision on a individual level will have an impact on everyone else performance on ice.

a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

But yeah, all my experience with the game comes only from 1vs1. Should have that in my name.
  • Always cool to see the "Behind-the-scenes" stuff. Tossing this in here since it's related:

Why not have some defensive players come do this so we can get real defensive tools that work?

im guessing because 99% of the playerbase by now plays offense and they dont want to lose whatever they have left of the playerbase who still enjoys this game.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 20
    nhl dev from redit

LOL.

It’ll be harder for people to escape In the corners. It’s easier to keep small guys to the outside

But I thought you said "good teams that understand puck movement will dominate". What's the purpose of allowing the puck carrier to get to the corner where he can set up a good cycle? As a GOOD defenseman you'd want to avoid that... At least I would.

What's the point of keeping small guys to the outside if with the current build that's going to be in NHL 21, you won't be able to contain them? They're just gonna overpower you with the speed D-men obviously don't have, never mind just "puck cycle" which 99.5% of the player base DOESN'T do in this game.

Like @TheMajjam said, were we all just playing a different game than you were? We must've been because the defense was obviously nerfed in favor of giving the attackers more tools to score with.

As for what they showed in the "gameplay" trailer and what Ben has said on Reddit, well we'll see in just a few short weeks now, won't we. Talk is cheap. All EA ever does is talk. Every year they say the same things.

But the proof, as they say, is in the pudding. Let's see how much of this "good stuff" is in the actual game and how much of it was just smoke blown up our collective rear ends...