EA Forums - Banner

Let's Talk: NHL 21 Gameplay Trailer

Replies

• @VeNOM2099 I kinda sense you’re fired up 😂 I don t blame you the game is frustrating and I can tell you care cuz you’re here. Same with me. Anyway I thought they can’t do the one man show as well. Its not as easy. Puck seemed more natural and less “puck on a magnet” flow. I found that as a dman it was easier to get the puck from an opponent. Less of the “skate right through them and let Jesus...er.... incidental contact take the wheel. Less of the forward grabbing it from behind him.

Less of them changing angles on a dime and BLASTING like Little Rockets towards the net.

I don’t know if this was just me, but I felt like the RS for check acted differently. Instead of blowing by the guy missing a hit , when I held it down i felt like I was mirroring my opponent, boxing him out keeping him contained.

Poke works MUCH better though. They don’t mention the defensive things ... net battles, pokes, dumps, sauces, chips, shot blocking, tie ups, and board pins all work better and seemed more responsive than nhl 20

DSS didn’t seem like a tripping liability

And yes. Because acceleration is nerfed it just makes the puck seem like it moves faster. It’s easier to get pucks through guys that really have no business getting them. More pucks through legs close range. But it seemed that dss + shot block is really good at covering lanes. You have to put your stick where the shots coming from.

More deflections and weird puck bounces off of players and sticks. I love that kind of stuff too.

It made the game flow and breath more naturally.

More dynamic speeds and allows for more creativity.

I can see players that works together as a team being able to dominate teams of what we’d call cheesy L2ers in nhl 20.

That’s just my opinion though.

• VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 20
    @VeNOM2099 I kinda sense you’re fired up 😂 I don t blame you the game is frustrating and I can tell you care cuz you’re here. Same with me. Anyway I thought they can’t do the one man show as well. Its not as easy. Puck seemed more natural and less “puck on a magnet” flow. I found that as a dman it was easier to get the puck from an opponent. Less of the “skate right through them and let Jesus...er.... incidental contact take the wheel. Less of the forward grabbing it from behind him.

Less of them changing angles on a dime and BLASTING like Little Rockets towards the net.

I don’t know if this was just me, but I felt like the RS for check acted differently. Instead of blowing by the guy missing a hit , when I held it down i felt like I was mirroring my opponent, boxing him out keeping him contained.

Poke works MUCH better though. They don’t mention the defensive things ... net battles, pokes, dumps, sauces, chips, shot blocking, tie ups, and board pins all work better and seemed more responsive than nhl 20

DSS didn’t seem like a tripping liability

And yes. Because acceleration is nerfed it just makes the puck seem like it moves faster. It’s easier to get pucks through guys that really have no business getting them. More pucks through legs close range. But it seemed that dss + shot block is really good at covering lanes. You have to put your stick where the shots coming from.

More deflections and weird puck bounces off of players and sticks. I love that kind of stuff too.

It made the game flow and breath more naturally.

More dynamic speeds and allows for more creativity.

I can see players that works together as a team being able to dominate teams of what we’d call cheesy L2ers in nhl 20.

That’s just my opinion though.

I wish I could post the vids I captured of my play within the Technical Test. Because they show the 1000% opposite of everything you say this game is.

Poke checks were the same. DSS not a tripping liability? Outright lie. In fact I just opened up a random video I had, and I found an instance of me having the DSS out in front of me to contain the opponent who was trying to dance around in the corner, he blatantly skates into my stick (I'm not sweeping it through his legs) and I get called for tripping.

Acceleration nerfed? Only for d-men skating back. Again, in that same clip I have dozens of instance where I'm keeping good gap control, but the forward with the puck just outskates my defense and I'm forced to play catchup in a play where I had good position and space control. And it's not like he did something fancy, he just skated in a straight line...

Deflections are exactly the same as they were in NHL 20. Because goalies are not programed to kick or deflect pucks, especially slow moving ones, to the corners or behind the net. Pucks still deflect off d-men and go right to the attacking players. I know because it happened to me as it happened to the opponent. The game is programmed to keep the offense rolling, not to promote defensive skill.

AI players just absolutely ignoring their position to take runs at the puck carrier, even more so than NHL 20. Even with me checking the puck carrier, 3 other AI teammates would take a run at him, leaving 2, sometimes 3 opponent players completely open on the other side of the ice.

Dynamic speed? All I saw was ONE speed, always 100% full tilt, skate forward.

L2 still works the same as it did in NHL 20; it's a tool to fish for tripping penalties and to shrug off hits, even ones that are hit full on, because of the ridiculous and 10 000% unrealistic player rotation or "lateral acceleration" player with the puck still have and have had since NHL 09.

And that's not an opinion, it's a fact I can see with the footage I have of the game.
    Post edited by VeNOM2099 on
  • Socair
    2485 posts Game Changer
    edited September 21
    Let’s agree to disagree. No need to dump on others opinions.
    Post edited by Socair on
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Not being able to share clips of the tech test was a travesty.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    Not being able to share clips of the tech test was a travesty.

In the game clip they show of game play you can still see the defensive AI still is very flawed

• TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited September 21
    So I was watching some of the 2KHSdev videos and one caught my attention. Don't worry about the blue ice thing, but watch the puck movement and the puck physics. This is one guy spending his time trying to update a decade's old NHL game. I have never seen puck physics like this in any EA NHL game. For as old as the graphics look, this feels like REAL hockey. Player even missed a puck that wasn't in his wheel house instead of the magnet putting him in position to make the shot. The real fans are trying to come as close to hockey as possible, but keep giving us more dekes and hockey bags EA.

• TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited September 21
    DP Accident.

• Yeah that puck physics look amazing, nothing that holds the puck back.

I wonder if it's the combination of what skate engine EA use and how the puck must move for it to work. Or why it dosent flow like it do in that video.

Im sure they have the knowledge to get it like that, but there must be something about what they uses in this game engine that makes it really hard to get the puck physics really perfect.
    So I was watching some of the 2KHSdev videos and one caught my attention. Don't worry about the blue ice thing, but watch the puck movement and the puck physics. This is one guy spending his time trying to update a decade's old NHL game. I have never seen puck physics like this in any EA NHL game. For as old as the graphics look, this feels like REAL hockey. Player even missed a puck that wasn't in his wheel house instead of the magnet putting him in position to make the shot. The real fans are trying to come as close to hockey as possible, but keep giving us more dekes and hockey bags EA.

Just an FYI - the puck physics you see in this video were designed and developed by actual software engineers.

The guy doing this 'mod' simply adjust values within files to change the physics to his liking, combined with a simple texture modification to improve the resolution and get rid of graphical issues like the blue ice.

So... this guy isn't 'spending his time updating an NHL game' - he's simply adjusting values in a file - just like what you would do with adjusting sliders - just without the nice U.I. and then posting videos to YouTube making claims he's "developing" this game which is a flat-out lie.

Just an FYI - the puck physics you see in this video were designed and developed by actual software engineers.

The guy doing this 'mod' simply adjust values within files to change the physics to his liking, combined with a simple texture modification to improve the resolution and get rid of graphical issues like the blue ice.

So... this guy isn't 'spending his time updating an NHL game' - he's simply adjusting values in a file - just like what you would do with adjusting sliders - just without the nice U.I. and then posting videos to YouTube making claims he's "developing" this game which is a flat-out lie.

I mean, a lot of “mods” and “updates” are texture packs and configuring backend slider values. There’s a ton of these on OperationSports that would be considered “good” work or “mods” or “updates” you know? Define “update” you know? Updates slider values that you would have access too without extra digging, updated texture packs, ice surface, overlays. Seems like the definition of a “mod” or “update” to me. He does use the term “dev” so I get why you’re pointing this out, but it shouldn’t take away from his work. It’s a massive undertaking to do a bunch of texture work and play with the animation lengths the way he has to make 2k11 a more realistic and smooth experience.

Anyway, I really wanted to post about how bouncy/live the puck is in his videos. I think this game could use sliders dedicated to the puck for us offline guys who go crazy with sliders. Would also like to see a distinction between saucer passes and “bounces” as saucer passes in this game are treated like bouncing pucks. You can one-time a saucer pass/catch a saucer pass that’s just landed with relative ease even if the puck like “mini hops” upon landing. I’d like to see those passes rewarded with clean to almost clean catches while also having a sliders to make the puck more active/bouncy in general. Puck takes way too many perfectly flat redirects off the boards and equipment imo.

Would also like to see players with good hands be able to have sort of “give” to their receptions, meaning if they see a rolling/bouncing puck, they’d maybe have some give to “control” the puck without 100% possessing the puck, if that makes sense? Best example I can think of is the first-touch system fifa uses. On bouncing pucks, good players can “first touch” a puck to control the deflection because they know they won’t catch it cleanly, but it also won’t fly by or hop their stick as much compared to worse skilled players. Hopefully that makes sense.
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited September 22
    TheMajjam wrote: »

So what? A lot of great Skyrim mods are simply adjustments to make the game play better. This guy has been working on it on his own time for about 9 years I think.

Good job taking the time to belittle his effort. I wish I had his resolve to try to make a better game, but I'm stuck looking at code for my own real job and don't have that kind of long term patience.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 22

Even if he was just "tweaking" the in-game settings, which a lot of people do in many sports games like MLB the Show or NBA 2K21 to get it to play even MORE sim-like than what the developers of those games give you out of the box, it's still a great undertaking and many people who play those games are really appreciative.

Back in the NHL 2K days I use to "create" Rosters and Sliders to make the game better. It would take me months. Never did anyone just dismiss what I did. What all of us roster and slider makers did .

And yet what DJ Neo is doing is a lot more complicated than that. He's taking a console game and creating a mod that makes it play on PC, he's upping the resolution. He's adding newer high res textures. He's re-writing the AI files to change the behavior (not just tweaking sliders). He may not be "creating" the original game, but he IS creating the MOD for it.

I wish someone could take NHL 19 or NHL 20 and mod it so that we can play it on PC with better gameplay and better graphics. Better rosters.

I don't get why you show such little respect for him... Well actually I know PERFECTLY well why you belittle him.

So what? A lot of great Skyrim mods are simply adjustments to make the game play better. This guy has been working on it on his own time for about 9 years I think.

Good job taking the time to belittle his effort. I wish I had his resolve to try to make a better game, but I'm stuck looking at code for my own real job and don't have that kind of long term patience.

I take issue with someone claiming to have developed a videogame that they didn't write a single line of code for.
  • Back to discussing NHL 21.

I'm surprised no one's posted this but, here are Tougie24's thoughts from a few days ago:

Very interesting...
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one's posted this

Thoughts from a random YouTuber? Yea, not surprised at all.
  • Sega82mega
    1883 posts Member
    edited September 22
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Back to discussing NHL 21.

I'm surprised no one's posted this but, here are Tougie24's thoughts from a few days ago:

Very interesting...

To freeze clip like that and really look for some errors its kinda hard to do if you don't got the whole picture. Need to know(at least) how the last minute played out to get a grip on who's in control. Where's the momentum is headed.

I only saw that lacrosse goal, and I have to say that seem to be the only option he can do in that situation, if he want to score on the spot.

And regarding that michigan, im startin to be pretty sure that it want be that (easy) common to see.

Very interesting...

The funny thing is, in these plays where the forward chips the puck around, no defenseman worth his stock doesn't body the man up and ride him out of the play. I see it all the time in roller hockey. A guy comes down, may have the best hands in the world, tries to go through my triangle, I body him, ride him out, play is over. This is adult league roller hockey, btw, not anywhere close to a pro level...but hey, what do I know? Only been playing for 32 years and was an All American 15 years ago. I know nothing about hockey.

But no, not in Ea hockey. In EA hockey you are required to have a perfect angle, eat a balanced breakfast, set your feet, glide, press the R stick at the perfect time, look both ways before you cross the street, and HOPE you can hit the guy.

I mean, why does every hit need to be skull crushing? Can we not figure out how to jockey or "play the body"? You know, like actual hockey?

Even if he was just "tweaking" the in-game settings, which a lot of people do in many sports games like MLB the Show or NBA 2K21 to get it to play even MORE sim-like than what the developers of those games give you out of the box, it's still a great undertaking and many people who play those games are really appreciative.

Back in the NHL 2K days I use to "create" Rosters and Sliders to make the game better. It would take me months. Never did anyone just dismiss what I did. What all of us roster and slider makers did .

And yet what DJ Neo is doing is a lot more complicated than that. He's taking a console game and creating a mod that makes it play on PC, he's upping the resolution. He's adding newer high res textures. He's re-writing the AI files to change the behavior (not just tweaking sliders). He may not be "creating" the original game, but he IS creating the MOD for it.

I wish someone could take NHL 19 or NHL 20 and mod it so that we can play it on PC with better gameplay and better graphics. Better rosters.

I don't get why you show such little respect for him... Well actually I know PERFECTLY well why you belittle him.

@VeNOM2099

I remember, vividly, how you used to have VeNOM's slider sets for 2k. Must have been a huge undertaking because it played so good!

Anyway, I am here to defend you and Neo. People can say what they want and minimize all they please...the fact of the matter is they would be incorrect. The end.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 22
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Very interesting...

To freeze clip like that and really look for some errors its kinda hard to do if you don't got the whole picture. Need to know(at least) how the last minute played out to get a grip on who's in control. Where's the momentum is headed.

I only saw that lacrosse goal, and I have to say that seem to be the only option he can do in that situation, if he want to score on the spot.

And regarding that michigan, im startin to be pretty sure that it want be that (easy) common to see.

I mean... I agree with Tougie24, the whole "Michigan goal" thing isn't even the problem. The real issue is what the devs put in place to balance it, whether it be AI reactions, animations, etc. And it looks like it was just dropped in there without any thoughts about balance other than it's going to be hard to pull off.

Maybe those types of super moves could be performed by a limited number of players, like the Ovi on his back goal that could ONLY be done by Ovi and ONLY on a very specific set of circumstances, then yeah. I think it would be neat. But you can probably bet good money this these moves, whether the Crosby bank behind the net, or the McJesus hop-squeeze through the boards or the Michigan, they will all be available to ANY player in the game.

That's the main problem I see. And you can also be sure that as hard is it may be to pull off, someone will figure out how to do it consistantly and that will break the game. At that point do you think EA will fix it? Just like the "fixed" the LT abuse? Yeah... Don't hold your breath.

Oh and BTW, Tougie24 isn't just some "rando" Youtuber. He's a Gamechanger. A real one. Keep that in mind before you try to discredit him. As if that should be a reason to in the first place...

Very interesting...

The funny thing is, in these plays where the forward chips the puck around, no defenseman worth his stock doesn't body the man up and ride him out of the play. I see it all the time in roller hockey. A guy comes down, may have the best hands in the world, tries to go through my triangle, I body him, ride him out, play is over. This is adult league roller hockey, btw, not anywhere close to a pro level...but hey, what do I know? Only been playing for 32 years and was an All American 15 years ago. I know nothing about hockey.

But no, not in Ea hockey. In EA hockey you are required to have a perfect angle, eat a balanced breakfast, set your feet, glide, press the R stick at the perfect time, look both ways before you cross the street, and HOPE you can hit the guy.

I mean, why does every hit need to be skull crushing? Can we not figure out how to jockey or "play the body"? You know, like actual hockey?

As I said above, the issue isn't really these moves but the fact that you'll be able to do them with ANYONE on the ice instead of it being possible with a very limited set of players with the actual skill to do them.

On the other side of the coin, where are the defensive tools to combat these new offensive moves? Goalies don't even react to a Michigan attempt. Defensemen don't react or try to prevent it either. So if you can figure out how to pull it off it's an instant goal with little to no resistance from the other team.

So much for balance, I guess.

@VeNOM2099

I remember, vividly, how you used to have VeNOM's slider sets for 2k. Must have been a huge undertaking because it played so good!

Anyway, I am here to defend you and Neo. People can say what they want and minimize all they please...the fact of the matter is they would be incorrect. The end.

Hey, I'm just a nobody that did nothing to a game I didn't make. Even though it took me time and effort to do, and the only reason I did it was so that others like me could find as much enjoyment in the game we were playing as I had.

But apparently that makes us worthless. So... Yeah.

But thanks anyways! ;)

Sega82mega wrote: »

Very interesting...

I mean... I agree with Tougie24, the whole "Michigan goal" thing isn't even the problem. The real issue is what the devs put in place to balance it, whether it be AI reactions, animations, etc. And it looks like it was just dropped in there without any thoughts about balance other than it's going to be hard to pull off.

Maybe those types of super moves could be performed by a limited number of players, like the Ovi on his back goal that could ONLY be done by Ovi and ONLY on a very specific set of circumstances, then yeah. I think it would be neat. But you can probably bet good money this these moves, whether the Crosby bank behind the net, or the McJesus hop-squeeze through the boards or the Michigan, they will all be available to ANY player in the game.

That's the main problem I see. And you can also be sure that as hard is it may be to pull off, someone will figure out how to do it consistantly and that will break the game. At that point do you think EA will fix it? Just like the "fixed" the LT abuse? Yeah... Don't hold your breath.

Oh and BTW, Tougie24 isn't just some "rando" Youtuber. He's a Gamechanger. A real one. Keep that in mind before you try to discredit him. As if that should be a reason to in the first place...

Very interesting...

As I said above, the issue isn't really these moves but the fact that you'll be able to do them with ANYONE on the ice instead of it being possible with a very limited set of players with the actual skill to do them.

On the other side of the coin, where are the defensive tools to combat these new offensive moves? Goalies don't even react to a Michigan attempt. Defensemen don't react or try to prevent it either. So if you can figure out how to pull it off it's an instant goal with little to no resistance from the other team.

So much for balance, I guess.

@VeNOM2099

Hey, I'm just a nobody that did nothing to a game I didn't make. Even though it took me time and effort to do, and the only reason I did it was so that others like me could find as much enjoyment in the game we were playing as I had.

But apparently that makes us worthless. So... Yeah.

But thanks anyways! ;)

I agree that not anyone should be able to pull that off.. A little like Seth Jones and Mark Vlasic is better on pokes then many other's. But I guess attributes will play a difference for that move to be successful or dont.

And as always, you don't say bad things, I know for a fact that you passionate hockey freak, just like me. But you really seem to hate everything whats left of this game. But I dont really feel the same, at least in 1vs1.

And I do like you, I really wish you get to enjoy a hockey game, you deserve that.