EA Forums - Banner

Best strategy?

Sega82mega
3310 posts Member
edited September 2020
Its not that often we discuss what strategy that works best against certain type of players.

I would like to hear how you guys try to play against people that play a tearing forecheck hockey right from the very first start?

For me I noticed it works pretty good to start with a backskate, if you win the first draw back to the D, continue to skate backward abit to one side of your corner, importen to hold your skill stick to the left or right at the same time you fall back, this will automatically get your forwards to fall back and be open for a pass, whoever you decides to pass to it's importen he pass the puck right back to the D. Click-click, that fast.

Usally works like, you win the puck to your D, you fall back at the same time hes coming right at you in full speed and DDS out, when he's really close, you pass to one of your forwards, and at the same time he turn around (your opponent) your forward pass the puck right back to your D. This way you create yourself some gap between you and your opponent, and should tear apart he's neutral zone pretty good so that you can find some good options to play with.

The key is to get this motion in action, D up to FW (importen he dosent have hes back turned against you), FW right back to D, voila - he's forecheck is hurt. And it's a good idea to keep looking for this play all the time, take good time before you decide to attack. (when opponent go up against your direaction the puck goes the other way and when your opponent turn and is on he's way back you play the puck back to your D. Keep the puck going to the opposite side of how your opponent go, and try to play wide, side-to-side, to stretch out he's team as much as you can)

Of course the better they are the harder it gets. But this strategy work pretty well for me and give me some really nice opportunity to play a pretty satisfying hockey.

Hard to explain in a good way just by words, but I hope you get it anyway.

And if anyone else have a good strategy to share, feel free.
Post edited by Sega82mega on

Replies

• TTZ_Dipsy
    482 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    It all depends, really.

VS - Clog the slot and you're fine defensively; I enjoy going full aggro with boomers from the point once I break out.

HUT - Collapse and just protect the shortside snipes; we shouldn't have to worry about one hand tucks this year so I guess just get a goalie with low aggression and you'll be golden (of course, stay far far away from the mode itself to be a true winner.

EASHL 3's - If you have a cpu winger, go max aggression but cover the man in your defensive zone, if you have a defensive cpu you need full defense and keep an eye when you are in the neutral zone.

EASHL 6's - My team has found success with collapsing D, the 1-2-2 blue, and aggressive offense but if you have more humans playing it makes the most sense to set any cpu to be as passive as possible.

Dump and chase was absolutely useless and pointless in previous games so I hope we can finally start to utilize it effectively this year.

Clapping it up the sides to a streaking winger still works well in all modes, as does diagonal shots up from behind the net if you wanna play the meta.

Crossing to the shortside instead of a full cross goes in a good 90% of the time on cpu goalies and of course the old hold backhand and shoot backhand is an absolute middle finger goal I love pulling on human goalies

• I never understand people that literally stand still in the slot, without facing the puck carrier.

I always liked/respect team that can shutdown a game, requires so much patience and right decisions from start to finish, make something that hard look so easy, and to see the frustration on the other team that soon will lead to a mistake out of impatient and eager.

I liked that thing Ben said about - We have worked on the differences between our most passive/conservative strategies to our most aggressive ones.

This gives players more control to get their defenders to play back and more conservative if you set those strategies."

I always fought hard to get my defenders to stay back more but without any real success. Hopefully in 21 im gonna be able to tighten things up. And perhaps what strategy you choose to play can get more impact of the game.
  • IceLion68
    1254 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    I never understand people that literally stand still in the slot, without facing the puck carrier.

I am not sure I understand what you mean here exactly? What is the scenario/context?
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    I mean if you have establish a pressure on your opponent in the o-zone, moving the puck to the left and right, I see guys that just stand completely still, without moving - anything - on the controller, with there backs against me, especially if you keep the puck down the corners, they give up space infront of the goalie so you can walk right in.

The whole idea of defense is to be active but no rush and no big movement, body infront of the puck carrier.

I try to move like a circle infront of my goalie, if you decides to go behind net and chase, you better be sure it's safe to do, the times I do, it's only to put pressure so they cant walk in on far post, try to push them to continue out to the corner.

But heey, hehe it's kinda hard for me to explain, I understand if you '????' on me! 🙄😏

And as always im talking 1vs1.
  • I enjoy the fact you try to play a real game, @Sega82mega. I like the commitment to attempting to play D like hockey players do.

The only problem with this idea is...you do not have to do so in this game to be successful. Since "everyone should be able to be good", you need not have any hockey IQ to play this game. Therefore, strategy, as of late, has been to clump, play a trap, prevent short side shots and do not allow one handed tucks. That is, literally, all you have to do on D in 20. Will this change in 21? I have no idea. They say they made some changes and we can only hope they are meaningful rather than the lip-service we have received for the past 7 years.

Imagine playing a combat shooter like COD and trying to employ legitimate tactics. You can, sure, but you will get destroyed by the run and gunners. That is what Ea NHL is like. It is CoD on ice. Want to run a box +1? Well, for starters, you can't and even if you wanted to (ideally with 6 humans on 6 humans), you would find more frustration trying to play online legit.

I wish I could share your optimism with this game. Truly, I admire that you seem to try to have hope. Unfortunately, EA NHL (hockey is a game I have played since I was 3 and love dearly) is one of my least favorite games.

I will say this though, with time and tuning, offline can be a pretty decent experience. The whole "Ea refuses to add in hockey plays/strategies/deliberate movements" irks me to no end. At the very least BRING BACK CREATE A PLAY so I can program the game myself.
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    It was a nice post to read from you stevetop, and yes, I probebly overdo my hockey in this game, I want it to be hockey, I rather loose in a kinda nice hockey way, then to win the EA hockey way.

And im thinking, one day when everything work like it suppose to, then im prepared, if, im still alive... Hehe.

*And it's not like it completely broken, usally take a few league titles and play pretty high up there in champ. And I get more angry about how people try to play me then how the game work, but sure, I wish there was no other way then to play real hockey if you gonna win.
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    It was a nice post to read from you stevetop, and yes, I probebly overdo my hockey in this game, I want it to be hockey, I rather loose in a kinda nice hockey way, then to win the EA hockey way.

And im thinking, one day when everything work like it suppose to, then im prepared, if, im still alive... Hehe.

*And it's not like it completely broken, usally take a few league titles and play pretty high up there in champ. And I get more angry about how people try to play me then how the game work, but sure, I wish there was no other way then to play real hockey if you gonna win.

Yeah, the community itself does more harm than the game. The foundation isn't bad, in my opinion. It is the execution that drives me nuts. Online there is a specific, boring, monotonous meta that is the death of fun. Offline, I can get it to be kinda fun. Still...no plays drives me nuts too.
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited September 2020

Yeah, the community itself does more harm than the game. The foundation isn't bad, in my opinion. It is the execution that drives me nuts. Online there is a specific, boring, monotonous meta that is the death of fun. Offline, I can get it to be kinda fun. Still...no plays drives me nuts too.

I can relate to that. So I probebly have more forgiveness then you.

But no HUT for the moment, a couple of online VS each day and my hockey fix stays intact.

But no HUT for the moment, a couple of online VS each day and my hockey fix stays intact.

I have to give you props for playing/stomaching HUT. I tried it when it first came out and did well until I got rolled by pay to play players. That destroyed my will.

Do you play on PS or Xbox?

I have to give you props for playing/stomaching HUT. I tried it when it first came out and did well until I got rolled by pay to play players. That destroyed my will.

Hehe I see it as good practice for anger management.. I have become mentally strong over the years, and I owe it all to this game! 😁

PS is my ground.
  • Stovetop9620
    455 posts Member
    edited September 2020

Hehe I see it as good practice for anger management.. I have become mentally strong over the years, and I owe it all to this game! 😁

PS is my ground.

Lol. I don't get mad until some scrub gets lucky for abusing the games deficiencies. Couldn't care less if I win. It comes down to "A guy skating full tilt straight at me should never ever get the puck back after he skates right into me without performing any semblance of a hockey play but he does because attributes, gliding, OP offense, and stuff...". I think that is a fair argument.

I assume they have the strategies the way they are in an effort to always have a "counter". I cannot force myself to believe they are so out of touch they refuse to employ real strategy.

I keep equating it to Madden. Imagine playing football without a 4-3, 3-4, dime, or nickel defense. "Alright guys, just line up and cover a guy...". That is backyard football. Since EA does not put in hockey systems, this is basically pond hockey played on a multitude of surfaces and game modes. "Aright guys, skate around as fast as you can, try to force a pass until you can cross-crease, or loop, ad nauseum, until you can take an EA sure-fire shot goal." It is the worst kind of hockey ever created.

Just so we are clear, in real hockey if you try the above, you will lose every game you play. Hockey is a game of varying speeds. If you force passes, you will not have the puck often. If you continue to loop around the exterior, you won't get shots. If you try the same play over and over, you will get shut-down. In EA hockey you can be successful playing the antithesis of hockey. Totally mind-blowing.

I see no reason why they can't break it up and have strategy be different per mode as well as incorporating the idea of SYSTEMS. Just so you know, EA, this is for you...

A hockey system is a set of tactics that define how a team plays. It can be set plays or a style that determines what a player’s duties are at any given point in the game.
    Reference: www.purehockey.com/c/hockey-systems-explained

It doesn't matter what I say. The dream of systems will never come true. Just give me Create-A-Play EA and I will shut up.

PM me your PS name and we can play sometime. I play actual hockey, you do as well, it might be fun
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited September 2020

PS is my ground.

Lol. I don't get mad until some scrub gets lucky for abusing the games deficiencies. Couldn't care less if I win. It comes down to "A guy skating full tilt straight at me should never ever get the puck back after he skates right into me without performing any semblance of a hockey play but he does because attributes, gliding, OP offense, and stuff...". I think that is a fair argument.

I assume they have the strategies the way they are in an effort to always have a "counter". I cannot force myself to believe they are so out of touch they refuse to employ real strategy.

I keep equating it to Madden. Imagine playing football without a 4-3, 3-4, dime, or nickel defense. "Alright guys, just line up and cover a guy...". That is backyard football. Since EA does not put in hockey systems, this is basically pond hockey played on a multitude of surfaces and game modes. "Aright guys, skate around as fast as you can, try to force a pass until you can cross-crease, or loop, ad nauseum, until you can take an EA sure-fire shot goal." It is the worst kind of hockey ever created.

Just so we are clear, in real hockey if you try the above, you will lose every game you play. Hockey is a game of varying speeds. If you force passes, you will not have the puck often. If you continue to loop around the exterior, you won't get shots. If you try the same play over and over, you will get shut-down. In EA hockey you can be successful playing the antithesis of hockey. Totally mind-blowing.

I see no reason why they can't break it up and have strategy be different per mode as well as incorporating the idea of SYSTEMS. Just so you know, EA, this is for you...

A hockey system is a set of tactics that define how a team plays. It can be set plays or a style that determines what a player’s duties are at any given point in the game.
    Reference: www.purehockey.com/c/hockey-systems-explained

It doesn't matter what I say. The dream of systems will never come true. Just give me Create-A-Play EA and I will shut up.

PM me your PS name and we can play sometime. I play actual hockey, you do as well, it might be fun

Yeah I defenetly get mad sometimes, but thats somehow, how 'everyone' seem to want it. Play as toxic we can, in hope of getting the other person in rage. I dont like that mentality. I wish we could do it in a more classy way. But I been that way too .. Remember some old nhl game where slap-pass was a glitch, I used it every time, and I was good too(real toxic), but lately I prefer to play a good game. What goes around, comes around.. I guess.

But you say alot of true stuff, you are a sharp man.

Please PM to me, I dont really get that part... 🤕