EA Forums - Banner

Let's Talk: Reddit AMA with Ben Ross

2Next

Replies

• Socair
    2811 posts Game Changer
    32Doak wrote: »
    This right here caught my interest:

"We don't currently have plans for anything related to momentum in the game. It is definitely a big topic around sports psychology in terms to the impacts of home ice advantage, a coach taking a well timed time out, etc. and could theoretically be attempted in a model but so far, we have let the Players personal psyche and how they play in response to certain situations do that work for us and have built mechanics where being collected/patient and in control vs rushing things have an impact in the error models and feel that watching competitive games online that this does weigh into outcomes where Players buckle under pressure, etc.."

The part where Ben mentions that models were built that try to simulate a lack of composure which affect the game... Is this a real thing already in the game? In NHL 20??

I play a pretty aggressive, almost frantic style and I feel like I have the worst luck. But I'd rather be unlucky here than to know that all along there's been some kind of subliminal scale, a tainted tuner, a malevolent modifier(!) mistaking my well-placed poke checks and Johnny-on-the-spot reactions for a lack of composure just because I take amphetamines daily.

He’s just referring to how being in a glide or settled for shots and passing allows for greater accuracy. Same for how it improves puck control and balance to slow down and not be skating fast.
  • I always play the other's AI more then the actually player in control, when im in O-zone.

I cant explain it any other way, that go forward and score is something everyone can do, but when they have to go the other way and defend their own zone in the same speed they put up, AI;n is the only one thats still in contact. Meanwhile the control human player gets placed somewhere infront of the goalie with the stick out swinging.

Not so fun gameplay.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Slow down is something we all should do.. Been trying to say that for a long time now, but it dosent seem to help.. eventually maybe, I think 21 will punish a way to speedy(with no control) hockey more then ever, so hopefully that could be a good lesson.

*Just what snoop is trying to say, nice and slow, you don't always have to be all aggressive.. 😏

Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • I missed this AMA on Reddit. There's so much I want to ask about online play. Questions that have already been asked in many different ways by many different people over the years that someone has to know the answer to.

Can we get an AMA from someone on the tech side of NHL 21?
  • EA_Aljo
    3217 posts EA Community Manager
    32Doak wrote: »
    I missed this AMA on Reddit. There's so much I want to ask about online play. Questions that have already been asked in many different ways by many different people over the years that someone has to know the answer to.

Can we get an AMA from someone on the tech side of NHL 21?

You're welcome to post your questions and we'll try to get them answered.
  • WealthyFriends
    893 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    Part 9

As far as subjective opinion from where we are right now, we hear more people asking for adjustments that would be seen as more arcade in your eyes (turning off incidental contact, increasing deking abiliy, increasing speed, less impact for shoving players off the puck, etc.) than we do asking for it to be more sim.

This is because people who want a sim game have already given up on this series.
  • [quote="EA_Aljo;c-2159005"][quote="32Doak;c-2158580"]I missed this AMA on Reddit. There's so much I want to ask about online play. Questions that have already been asked in many different ways by many different people over the years that someone has to know the answer to.

Can we get an AMA from someone on the tech side of NHL 21? [/quote]

You're welcome to post your questions and we'll try to get them answered.[/quote]

Why haven't attributes been Brought back?
    All you have to do to make it fair is give us the attributes from Day one. Let us Unlock the boost packs instead of these garbage traits

Has the poke check through players bodies been fixed?

Has hitting been fixed?

Players in the protect the puck animation have unlimited balance the hitter just seems to skim him or completely miss him.

Have the little bumps that cause turnovers been addressed?

Has the goalies ability to pass through multiple players bodies been addressed?

Has the Ai endurance been toned down?

Have injuries been fixed? I'll use a grinder or power forward and absolutely crush guy who are using the small sniper build yet they jump right back up.
    Yet I've been hit buy a sniper build while using a PF or grinder and get hurt or my guy takes Forever to get back up.

Can we now save our Ai strategy so we don't have to set them every game?

Can we have custom music yet ?

Have you added more retro logos yet?
    How about jersey styles?

Is the goalie still a brick wall if you accidentally hit him? Meaning will you get devastated by a goalie tripping you?
  • Will drop in ever go back to having NHL style play? Drop in is NOT NHL...and your game is called NHL 20. No one asked for the clown gear and outdoor rinks. Most folks want the NHL style games with teams and jerseys.

Will we ever see a new shot block animation that doesn't cause a trip?

Will AI ever make sauce passes?

Will CR/RP ever not be tied directly to win/loss, and instead be based on how well someone actually plays?
  • Would be fun to hear something from Ben soon, what he think of the game so far, whats been good and if he feel something can be better.
  • After reading through some of that AMA and Bens answers, I'm very confident Ben Ross would make a fantastic politician.