EA Forums - Banner

EA WAKE UP!!! Customers aren't happy!

Prev13
It's time for @NHLDev and the rest of @EA Sports NHL to wake up and realize many of their customers are unhappy with the games that have been released in the last few years since moving to Xbox One and PS4. This has turned into a complete arcade game that has ruined the experience for many of us old time EA hockey game users. Take major components out and then bring them back years later to make it look like they did something.

All they have done literally is work on adding more arcade like features and put more focus on skating, forgetting about defense control and other aspects in the game. Bad enough they take the indoor drop-in out and give us no option to choose team jerseys. We now are forced to join clubs or play outdoor drop-in when club isn't available. What a damn shame! People troll this game more than ever now because it's so terrible. HUT is pretty much their only marketing strategy and if it wasn't for it EA would probably seize to make hockey games.

Now lets talk customer service! Every so often someone will have a complaint from numerous issues such as CR glitching, Lag Switch, Bad server connection, broken game physics, frequent errors or terrible A.I. . Then they show videos and then get negative feed back from EA Mods saying it's either our fault or it's just how the game is. I worked as a software engineer for years in gaming design and I am currently a tech worker who installs internet services, you simply cannot fool me.

I for one am sick of this trash and EA in general. Give us a damn real hockey game to at least of an extent of what it was on last gen with PS3/Xbox 360. I will no longer pay ridiculous prices for this joke of a game. I have many friends who are doing the same. Goodbye morons!!!

Replies

  • Oslik1000
    456 posts Member
    edited September 24
    unfortunately only your ilusion...

    *FIFA 20 has more than 25 million unique players to date.
    *Madden NFL 20 reached the highest engagement levels in franchise history.

    *from google

    it is only hard fact EA is growing. it is low cost airlines with rich management.
    how many peoples like air with low cost airlines? nobody....
    but if you must do travel you will do
  • I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.
  • Stovetop9620
    418 posts Member
    edited September 25
    I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.

    NHL 20 - ? Let's be generous and say 700,000 - Avg. user rating 5.9
    NHL 19 - 730,000 - Avg. user rating 6
    NHL 18 - 960,000 Avg. user rating 6.5
    NHL 17 - 1,120,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 16 - 1,170,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 15 - 1,040,000 Avg. user rating 4
    NHL 14 - 1,100,000 Avg. user rating 7.3
    NHL 13 - 1,340,000 Avg. user rating 7.4

    I could go on and continue. What we see here is called a "trend". A "trend" is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

    This trend demonstrates a few things:

    1. Sales numbers have steadily been declining.
    2. Customer satisfaction has been steadily declining.
    3. You are wrong.

    Every post you make attacking people, more importantly CUSTOMERS, who pay money for a product, the more you foster a hostile environment. Which is unacceptable and unnecessary.

    Personally, I am stoked you love this game. Perhaps even jealous. For 32 years I have played the game of hockey, grown as a person, traveled North America, skated with professionals, played on the national level, even won a few awards. Hockey is my favorite thing. I WANT to enjoy the game. It is awfully telling the 20-some people I used to play with has dwindled to 4 and we can hardly stomach more than 2 games because this game has a TON of toxic players and some major deficiencies. Eventually, it will be only be the toxic's left. Perhaps you want that? Not a real good position to have if that is the case.

    What you fail to realize is there aren't 7 miserable people on a forum who have slowly started to despise this game but, according to numbers, about 2-300,000 people who are feeling the same way...and those numbers continue to grow.

    I fail to believe you are not an intelligent person who can't recognize this stuff. What I find hard to understand is your willingness and apparent love for attacking people who say what we say and do what we do in an effort to HELP the game grow again. Because it is not growing. It is failing. It isn't my fault, or @VeNOM2099 's fault, or @Sega82mega 's fault, or @untouchable_BF1 's fault, or @Oslik1000 's fault, etc. etc. It is the fault of the people who develop, market, and publish this game.

    Take it up with them. Tell em "it bothers me that people do not like this game and I hate these people's opinions so you need to do something about it."

    So relax, bud, and enjoy another year of underachievement. Praising lackluster efforts is the American way anymore.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1182 posts Member
    edited September 25
    I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.

    NHL 20 - ? Let's be generous and say 700,000 - Avg. user rating 5.9
    NHL 19 - 730,000 - Avg. user rating 6
    NHL 18 - 960,000 Avg. user rating 6.5
    NHL 17 - 1,120,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 16 - 1,170,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 15 - 1,040,000 Avg. user rating 4
    NHL 14 - 1,100,000 Avg. user rating 7.3
    NHL 13 - 1,340,000 Avg. user rating 7.4

    I could go on and continue. What we see here is called a "trend". A "trend" is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

    This trend demonstrates a few things:

    1. Sales numbers have steadily been declining.
    2. Customer satisfaction has been steadily declining.
    3. You are wrong.

    Every post you make attacking people, more importantly CUSTOMERS, who pay money for a product, the more you foster a hostile environment. Which is unacceptable and unnecessary.

    Personally, I am stoked you love this game. Perhaps even jealous. For 32 years I have played the game of hockey, grown as a person, traveled North America, skated with professionals, played on the national level, even won a few awards. Hockey is my favorite thing. I WANT to enjoy the game. It is awfully telling the 20-some people I used to play with has dwindled to 4 and we can hardly stomach more than 2 games because this game has a TON of toxic players and some major deficiencies. Eventually, it will be only be the toxic's left. Perhaps you want that? Not a real good position to have if that is the case.

    What you fail to realize is there aren't 7 miserable people on a forum who have slowly started to despise this game but, according to numbers, about 2-300,000 people who are feeling the same way...and those numbers continue to grow.

    I fail to believe you are not an intelligent person who can't recognize this stuff. What I find hard to understand is your willingness and apparent love for attacking people who say what we say and do what we do in an effort to HELP the game grow again. Because it is not growing. It is failing. It isn't my fault, or @VeNOM2099 's fault, or @Sega82mega 's fault, or @untouchable_BF1 's fault, or @Oslik1000 's fault, etc. etc. It is the fault of the people who develop, market, and publish this game.

    Take it up with them. Tell em "it bothers me that people do not like this game and I hate these people's opinions so you need to do something about it."

    So relax, bud, and enjoy another year of underachievement. Praising lackluster efforts is the American way anymore.

    Good lord - I was just providing an opinion and attacking literally nobody and you go on a rant about me attacking people and then tell me to “relax”.

    Taking this much offense to someone liking a game that doesn’t live up to your hockey IQ is sad.

  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 25
    I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.

    NHL 20 - ? Let's be generous and say 700,000 - Avg. user rating 5.9
    NHL 19 - 730,000 - Avg. user rating 6
    NHL 18 - 960,000 Avg. user rating 6.5
    NHL 17 - 1,120,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 16 - 1,170,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 15 - 1,040,000 Avg. user rating 4
    NHL 14 - 1,100,000 Avg. user rating 7.3
    NHL 13 - 1,340,000 Avg. user rating 7.4

    I could go on and continue. What we see here is called a "trend". A "trend" is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

    This trend demonstrates a few things:

    1. Sales numbers have steadily been declining.
    2. Customer satisfaction has been steadily declining.
    3. You are wrong.

    Every post you make attacking people, more importantly CUSTOMERS, who pay money for a product, the more you foster a hostile environment. Which is unacceptable and unnecessary.

    Personally, I am stoked you love this game. Perhaps even jealous. For 32 years I have played the game of hockey, grown as a person, traveled North America, skated with professionals, played on the national level, even won a few awards. Hockey is my favorite thing. I WANT to enjoy the game. It is awfully telling the 20-some people I used to play with has dwindled to 4 and we can hardly stomach more than 2 games because this game has a TON of toxic players and some major deficiencies. Eventually, it will be only be the toxic's left. Perhaps you want that? Not a real good position to have if that is the case.

    What you fail to realize is there aren't 7 miserable people on a forum who have slowly started to despise this game but, according to numbers, about 2-300,000 people who are feeling the same way...and those numbers continue to grow.

    I fail to believe you are not an intelligent person who can't recognize this stuff. What I find hard to understand is your willingness and apparent love for attacking people who say what we say and do what we do in an effort to HELP the game grow again. Because it is not growing. It is failing. It isn't my fault, or @VeNOM2099 's fault, or @Sega82mega 's fault, or @untouchable_BF1 's fault, or @Oslik1000 's fault, etc. etc. It is the fault of the people who develop, market, and publish this game.

    Take it up with them. Tell em "it bothers me that people do not like this game and I hate these people's opinions so you need to do something about it."

    So relax, bud, and enjoy another year of underachievement. Praising lackluster efforts is the American way anymore.

    The most ludicrous justification for this game's poor showing is that is that "as an interpretation of the sport, it doesn't have to fit with YOUR interpretation of said sport".

    Funny, I just thought hockey was hockey. No interpretation needed. I turn on the TV and BOOM! There it is! Hockey! I don't have to interpret what it is or does, it just IS. By that same token, I pick up NBA 2K, because I want to play basketball, it plays basketball. I pick up F1 2020 because I want to race an F1 car around an F1 circuit, and that's what I get. I have to learn about the sports, practice and actually do things that I would normally do in the sport to succeed. If I do things that are not part of the sport, I get punished. Simple. No "interpretations" here, just good immersion.

    Are they 100% accurate recreations of the sport? No. Are they challenging? Yes. Are they FUN because they are Challenging? Heck yeah!

    Is EA's NHL 100%.. Heck, is it even 10% recreation of the sport? No. Is EA's NHL "fun" or "challenging"? Nope...
  • Socair
    2449 posts Game Changer
    And here we are with personal attacks again. Please refrain or thread will be closed.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • i was back nhl franchise late july this year from over 10 years hiatus. this game(gameplay) is arcade style for sure now. Playing online is not fun at all when you see your opponent moving left and right all the time without passing the puck. Simulation hockey is what i'm expecting and deke like hell should only on breakaway and rest of the time it should be passes and onetimers like real hockey.i did buy ultimate game for nhl21 but i'm not expecting to buy again next years if it doesn't change
  • i was back nhl franchise late july this year from over 10 years hiatus. this game(gameplay) is arcade style for sure now. Playing online is not fun at all when you see your opponent moving left and right all the time without passing the puck. Simulation hockey is what i'm expecting and deke like hell should only on breakaway and rest of the time it should be passes and onetimers like real hockey.i did buy ultimate game for nhl21 but i'm not expecting to buy again next years if it doesn't change

    The AI are as easily exploitable and actually even dumber at supporting the puck than they were in NHL 06 which might be the most arcadey NHL ever. At least in 06, the AI knew to support their d partner in a breakout behind the net rather than standing out front doing literally nothing.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.

    NHL 20 - ? Let's be generous and say 700,000 - Avg. user rating 5.9
    NHL 19 - 730,000 - Avg. user rating 6
    NHL 18 - 960,000 Avg. user rating 6.5
    NHL 17 - 1,120,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 16 - 1,170,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 15 - 1,040,000 Avg. user rating 4
    NHL 14 - 1,100,000 Avg. user rating 7.3
    NHL 13 - 1,340,000 Avg. user rating 7.4

    I could go on and continue. What we see here is called a "trend". A "trend" is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

    This trend demonstrates a few things:

    1. Sales numbers have steadily been declining.
    2. Customer satisfaction has been steadily declining.
    3. You are wrong.

    No offense, but you don't have their sales numbers so you have no idea if they were declining or growing. I can say when I was in the offices a few years ago, they presented their actual sales numbers each year. They certainly weren't declining; if anything they were stagnant. The same people buy the game every year. If you look back the last few years, you can see they made a decision to try and reach another audience that hasn't been buying the game every year. The introduction of 3's, 1's, arcade modes etc. You don't need to search that many years back to find that people were complaining the game was too realistic and not fun. People made comments such as "It's a video game, you guys need to make it more fun again. It's not supposed to resemble real life 1:1. I want to have fun playing videogame hockey."

    What's this all mean? The customers aren't always right. The customers don't know what they want until you give it to them. And they will never please everyone because everyone has a different definition of what videogame hockey is and should be. I've been around long enough on the forums to see the pendulum swing to the extreme on both sides. They need, and I think have a solid middleground. Can there be improvements? Yes, always.

    But if you don't like the game or the direction it's going; don't support it. Or buy it used.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • B_Bunny wrote: »
    I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.

    NHL 20 - ? Let's be generous and say 700,000 - Avg. user rating 5.9
    NHL 19 - 730,000 - Avg. user rating 6
    NHL 18 - 960,000 Avg. user rating 6.5
    NHL 17 - 1,120,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 16 - 1,170,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 15 - 1,040,000 Avg. user rating 4
    NHL 14 - 1,100,000 Avg. user rating 7.3
    NHL 13 - 1,340,000 Avg. user rating 7.4

    I could go on and continue. What we see here is called a "trend". A "trend" is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

    This trend demonstrates a few things:

    1. Sales numbers have steadily been declining.
    2. Customer satisfaction has been steadily declining.
    3. You are wrong.

    No offense, but you don't have their sales numbers so you have no idea if they were declining or growing. I can say when I was in the offices a few years ago, they presented their actual sales numbers each year. They certainly weren't declining; if anything they were stagnant. The same people buy the game every year. If you look back the last few years, you can see they made a decision to try and reach another audience that hasn't been buying the game every year. The introduction of 3's, 1's, arcade modes etc. You don't need to search that many years back to find that people were complaining the game was too realistic and not fun. People made comments such as "It's a video game, you guys need to make it more fun again. It's not supposed to resemble real life 1:1. I want to have fun playing videogame hockey."

    What's this all mean? The customers aren't always right. The customers don't know what they want until you give it to them. And they will never please everyone because everyone has a different definition of what videogame hockey is and should be. I've been around long enough on the forums to see the pendulum swing to the extreme on both sides. They need, and I think have a solid middleground. Can there be improvements? Yes, always.

    But if you don't like the game or the direction it's going; don't support it. Or buy it used.

    Lol dont know what forums youve been reading but ive lurked here for years, and there was a time here when people were mostly happy with the game. It wasnt until hut came that people REALLY started turning on ea with this game, and every year it gets worse and more apparent the main focus is hut. I used to have 40 guys on my list playing every night....EVERY..NIGHT. all of them are still on my list...ive seen THREE play an nhl in the last 2 years and even then its rare to see. Also, no the customer isnt wrong....and that pretty much sums up eas attitude since we know you used to be part of the team somehow. Is that the mentality overall there? Cus it sure seems like it.

    People buy because they want to play hockey and have one option. To say ea doesnt exploit that fact would be a bald faced lie.
  • Well I know one thing for sure, if I didnt have a hockey game to play, the winter would be so much longer.

    And if it wasen't for EA, im not sure who would do it..

    I rather take some EA cheese then nothing at all, but thats just me.
  • B_Bunny wrote: »
    I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.

    NHL 20 - ? Let's be generous and say 700,000 - Avg. user rating 5.9
    NHL 19 - 730,000 - Avg. user rating 6
    NHL 18 - 960,000 Avg. user rating 6.5
    NHL 17 - 1,120,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 16 - 1,170,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 15 - 1,040,000 Avg. user rating 4
    NHL 14 - 1,100,000 Avg. user rating 7.3
    NHL 13 - 1,340,000 Avg. user rating 7.4

    I could go on and continue. What we see here is called a "trend". A "trend" is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

    This trend demonstrates a few things:

    1. Sales numbers have steadily been declining.
    2. Customer satisfaction has been steadily declining.
    3. You are wrong.

    No offense, but you don't have their sales numbers so you have no idea if they were declining or growing. I can say when I was in the offices a few years ago, they presented their actual sales numbers each year. They certainly weren't declining; if anything they were stagnant. The same people buy the game every year. If you look back the last few years, you can see they made a decision to try and reach another audience that hasn't been buying the game every year. The introduction of 3's, 1's, arcade modes etc. You don't need to search that many years back to find that people were complaining the game was too realistic and not fun. People made comments such as "It's a video game, you guys need to make it more fun again. It's not supposed to resemble real life 1:1. I want to have fun playing videogame hockey."

    What's this all mean? The customers aren't always right. The customers don't know what they want until you give it to them. And they will never please everyone because everyone has a different definition of what videogame hockey is and should be. I've been around long enough on the forums to see the pendulum swing to the extreme on both sides. They need, and I think have a solid middleground. Can there be improvements? Yes, always.

    But if you don't like the game or the direction it's going; don't support it. Or buy it used.

    Lol dont know what forums youve been reading but ive lurked here for years, and there was a time here when people were mostly happy with the game. It wasnt until hut came that people REALLY started turning on ea with this game, and every year it gets worse and more apparent the main focus is hut. I used to have 40 guys on my list playing every night....EVERY..NIGHT. all of them are still on my list...ive seen THREE play an nhl in the last 2 years and even then its rare to see. Also, no the customer isnt wrong....and that pretty much sums up eas attitude since we know you used to be part of the team somehow. Is that the mentality overall there? Cus it sure seems like it.

    People buy because they want to play hockey and have one option. To say ea doesnt exploit that fact would be a bald faced lie.

    Exactly! I too used to have over 40 friends playing this game. Since looking at the stats in EASHL I have only seen a few people who were regular active in that community. Many clubs no longer even bother to play anymore, unless it's 3's. It took my club from 4pm to 12am months ago just to find 3 games because literally nobody is Div 1 was playing. So we tried drop-in and it was full of trolls, with people ruining the game or quitting. The A.I. has been terrible also for not being smart on our end, yet sometimes they will be OP and snipe every blocker side shot. I did a video explaining all the exploits in the game and testing them out. Yet I more likely will get banned for talking about exploits that shouldn't even be in the game to begin with.

    If they want an arcade style game, why not make it a different mode away from EASHL? Give us the indoor drop-in, along jersey selection and the option to go into community lounges so we can find games available rather than getting stuck in a troll fest of outdoor drop-in hockey. Simple solutions could make this game much better.
  • Follisimo
    1011 posts Member
    edited September 28
    B_Bunny wrote: »
    I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.

    NHL 20 - ? Let's be generous and say 700,000 - Avg. user rating 5.9
    NHL 19 - 730,000 - Avg. user rating 6
    NHL 18 - 960,000 Avg. user rating 6.5
    NHL 17 - 1,120,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 16 - 1,170,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 15 - 1,040,000 Avg. user rating 4
    NHL 14 - 1,100,000 Avg. user rating 7.3
    NHL 13 - 1,340,000 Avg. user rating 7.4

    I could go on and continue. What we see here is called a "trend". A "trend" is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

    This trend demonstrates a few things:

    1. Sales numbers have steadily been declining.
    2. Customer satisfaction has been steadily declining.
    3. You are wrong.

    No offense, but you don't have their sales numbers so you have no idea if they were declining or growing. I can say when I was in the offices a few years ago, they presented their actual sales numbers each year. They certainly weren't declining; if anything they were stagnant. The same people buy the game every year. If you look back the last few years, you can see they made a decision to try and reach another audience that hasn't been buying the game every year. The introduction of 3's, 1's, arcade modes etc. You don't need to search that many years back to find that people were complaining the game was too realistic and not fun. People made comments such as "It's a video game, you guys need to make it more fun again. It's not supposed to resemble real life 1:1. I want to have fun playing videogame hockey."

    What's this all mean? The customers aren't always right. The customers don't know what they want until you give it to them. And they will never please everyone because everyone has a different definition of what videogame hockey is and should be. I've been around long enough on the forums to see the pendulum swing to the extreme on both sides. They need, and I think have a solid middleground. Can there be improvements? Yes, always.

    But if you don't like the game or the direction it's going; don't support it. Or buy it used.

    Lol dont know what forums youve been reading but ive lurked here for years, and there was a time here when people were mostly happy with the game. It wasnt until hut came that people REALLY started turning on ea with this game, and every year it gets worse and more apparent the main focus is hut. I used to have 40 guys on my list playing every night....EVERY..NIGHT. all of them are still on my list...ive seen THREE play an nhl in the last 2 years and even then its rare to see. Also, no the customer isnt wrong....and that pretty much sums up eas attitude since we know you used to be part of the team somehow. Is that the mentality overall there? Cus it sure seems like it.

    People buy because they want to play hockey and have one option. To say ea doesnt exploit that fact would be a bald faced lie.

    These very forums, reddit, and other places. I've been on these forums so long and when I bring up the past because I remember the complaints people just deny it al now because it doesn't fit their narrativel. Before we moved to the new forums I have been a member since 08.

    Ultimate Team hasn't ruined anything. There is still gameplay changes each year from feedback Maybe not your feedback because you're not the right people to listen to. Still getting modes tweaked here and there. I mean the people who feel Ultimate Team has ruined their game are probably the versus and offline people.

    Sports games in general have reached a level where gameplay isn't going to be vastly different year from year. There isn't really anything revolutionary left to bring to the table. The skill stick was the biggest thing and nothing will come close to evolving the game anymore. When NHL officially goes next-gen we will see some improvements to the game like faster loading, graphics slightly better if at all, and hopefully better fps.

    And yes the customer can be wrong you just don't tell them it and just ignore them instead. No one forces you to buy the new iterations and if you don't like the direction the game is going simply leave it behind IF you can. Don't say since EA is the only one that makes a hockey game it leaves no choice because the choice is not buying it also.

    @Flames_Boy93 Amazing I've had no problem finding 6s games all year on Xbox. I usually play anywhere from 8pm est to 3am est. In the top divisions. Also there are so many organized leagues out there to make so many friends and play games.

  • Follisimo wrote: »
    B_Bunny wrote: »
    I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.

    NHL 20 - ? Let's be generous and say 700,000 - Avg. user rating 5.9
    NHL 19 - 730,000 - Avg. user rating 6
    NHL 18 - 960,000 Avg. user rating 6.5
    NHL 17 - 1,120,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 16 - 1,170,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 15 - 1,040,000 Avg. user rating 4
    NHL 14 - 1,100,000 Avg. user rating 7.3
    NHL 13 - 1,340,000 Avg. user rating 7.4

    I could go on and continue. What we see here is called a "trend". A "trend" is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

    This trend demonstrates a few things:

    1. Sales numbers have steadily been declining.
    2. Customer satisfaction has been steadily declining.
    3. You are wrong.

    No offense, but you don't have their sales numbers so you have no idea if they were declining or growing. I can say when I was in the offices a few years ago, they presented their actual sales numbers each year. They certainly weren't declining; if anything they were stagnant. The same people buy the game every year. If you look back the last few years, you can see they made a decision to try and reach another audience that hasn't been buying the game every year. The introduction of 3's, 1's, arcade modes etc. You don't need to search that many years back to find that people were complaining the game was too realistic and not fun. People made comments such as "It's a video game, you guys need to make it more fun again. It's not supposed to resemble real life 1:1. I want to have fun playing videogame hockey."

    What's this all mean? The customers aren't always right. The customers don't know what they want until you give it to them. And they will never please everyone because everyone has a different definition of what videogame hockey is and should be. I've been around long enough on the forums to see the pendulum swing to the extreme on both sides. They need, and I think have a solid middleground. Can there be improvements? Yes, always.

    But if you don't like the game or the direction it's going; don't support it. Or buy it used.

    Lol dont know what forums youve been reading but ive lurked here for years, and there was a time here when people were mostly happy with the game. It wasnt until hut came that people REALLY started turning on ea with this game, and every year it gets worse and more apparent the main focus is hut. I used to have 40 guys on my list playing every night....EVERY..NIGHT. all of them are still on my list...ive seen THREE play an nhl in the last 2 years and even then its rare to see. Also, no the customer isnt wrong....and that pretty much sums up eas attitude since we know you used to be part of the team somehow. Is that the mentality overall there? Cus it sure seems like it.

    People buy because they want to play hockey and have one option. To say ea doesnt exploit that fact would be a bald faced lie.

    These very forums, reddit, and other places. I've been on these forums so long and when I bring up the past because I remember the complaints people just deny it al now because it doesn't fit their narrativel. Before we moved to the new forums I have been a member since 08.

    Ultimate Team hasn't ruined anything. There is still gameplay changes each year from feedback Maybe not your feedback because you're not the right people to listen to. Still getting modes tweaked here and there. I mean the people who feel Ultimate Team has ruined their game are probably the versus and offline people.

    Sports games in general have reached a level where gameplay isn't going to be vastly different year from year. There isn't really anything revolutionary left to bring to the table. The skill stick was the biggest thing and nothing will come close to evolving the game anymore. When NHL officially goes next-gen we will see some improvements to the game like faster loading, graphics slightly better if at all, and hopefully better fps.

    And yes the customer can be wrong you just don't tell them it and just ignore them instead. No one forces you to buy the new iterations and if you don't like the direction the game is going simply leave it behind IF you can. Don't say since EA is the only one that makes a hockey game it leaves no choice because the choice is not buying it also.

    @Flames_Boy93 Amazing I've had no problem finding 6s games all year on Xbox. I usually play anywhere from 8pm est to 3am est. In the top divisions. Also there are so many organized leagues out there to make so many friends and play games.

    The moment you need to bring up 3rd party leagues as workaround to finding games is the moment you should realize club 6’s are dead. 3’s totally killed it and then add-in drop-in, drop-in 3’s, 3’ eliminator, and ones, there’s just not enough people who actually enjoy this product enough to sustain 7 game modes of single character-controlled modes alone.

    There’s absolutely no denying how small the online community feels, if not is, than old-gen games. No lobbies has killed the online experience, not to mention those dreaded ODR’s with blinding gear and lighting that makes it hard to track the puck for drop-ins. Oh and let’s make pressing the poke button = a penalty for 85% of the online community who doesn’t bother to learn it. That’ll make games super fast and fun to play! While we’re at it, let’s make CPU’s the best player on the ice in any given drop-in game due to the fact that they don’t fatigue, skate at 100% the whole time, win every puck battles, and can throw 160 foot backhanded passes with pace to some cherrypicker calling for it while the CPU is face-first in the glass! Skill gap! Let’s not fix the one-hand tuck. Let’s make sure goalies get beat from 50 feet out with no screen! Skill gap! Let’s make sure screens don’t work and tic-tag-toe plays with a one-timer are less successful than one-hand tucks and slowly gliding and shooting an unscreened shot. That’ll encourage team play!

    If the checking was abysmally broken in Legacy, they’d have 20 beat by a mile.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    B_Bunny wrote: »
    I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.

    NHL 20 - ? Let's be generous and say 700,000 - Avg. user rating 5.9
    NHL 19 - 730,000 - Avg. user rating 6
    NHL 18 - 960,000 Avg. user rating 6.5
    NHL 17 - 1,120,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 16 - 1,170,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 15 - 1,040,000 Avg. user rating 4
    NHL 14 - 1,100,000 Avg. user rating 7.3
    NHL 13 - 1,340,000 Avg. user rating 7.4

    I could go on and continue. What we see here is called a "trend". A "trend" is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

    This trend demonstrates a few things:

    1. Sales numbers have steadily been declining.
    2. Customer satisfaction has been steadily declining.
    3. You are wrong.

    No offense, but you don't have their sales numbers so you have no idea if they were declining or growing. I can say when I was in the offices a few years ago, they presented their actual sales numbers each year. They certainly weren't declining; if anything they were stagnant. The same people buy the game every year. If you look back the last few years, you can see they made a decision to try and reach another audience that hasn't been buying the game every year. The introduction of 3's, 1's, arcade modes etc. You don't need to search that many years back to find that people were complaining the game was too realistic and not fun. People made comments such as "It's a video game, you guys need to make it more fun again. It's not supposed to resemble real life 1:1. I want to have fun playing videogame hockey."

    What's this all mean? The customers aren't always right. The customers don't know what they want until you give it to them. And they will never please everyone because everyone has a different definition of what videogame hockey is and should be. I've been around long enough on the forums to see the pendulum swing to the extreme on both sides. They need, and I think have a solid middleground. Can there be improvements? Yes, always.

    But if you don't like the game or the direction it's going; don't support it. Or buy it used.

    Lol dont know what forums youve been reading but ive lurked here for years, and there was a time here when people were mostly happy with the game. It wasnt until hut came that people REALLY started turning on ea with this game, and every year it gets worse and more apparent the main focus is hut. I used to have 40 guys on my list playing every night....EVERY..NIGHT. all of them are still on my list...ive seen THREE play an nhl in the last 2 years and even then its rare to see. Also, no the customer isnt wrong....and that pretty much sums up eas attitude since we know you used to be part of the team somehow. Is that the mentality overall there? Cus it sure seems like it.

    People buy because they want to play hockey and have one option. To say ea doesnt exploit that fact would be a bald faced lie.

    These very forums, reddit, and other places. I've been on these forums so long and when I bring up the past because I remember the complaints people just deny it al now because it doesn't fit their narrativel. Before we moved to the new forums I have been a member since 08.

    Ultimate Team hasn't ruined anything. There is still gameplay changes each year from feedback Maybe not your feedback because you're not the right people to listen to. Still getting modes tweaked here and there. I mean the people who feel Ultimate Team has ruined their game are probably the versus and offline people.

    Sports games in general have reached a level where gameplay isn't going to be vastly different year from year. There isn't really anything revolutionary left to bring to the table. The skill stick was the biggest thing and nothing will come close to evolving the game anymore. When NHL officially goes next-gen we will see some improvements to the game like faster loading, graphics slightly better if at all, and hopefully better fps.

    And yes the customer can be wrong you just don't tell them it and just ignore them instead. No one forces you to buy the new iterations and if you don't like the direction the game is going simply leave it behind IF you can. Don't say since EA is the only one that makes a hockey game it leaves no choice because the choice is not buying it also.

    @Flames_Boy93 Amazing I've had no problem finding 6s games all year on Xbox. I usually play anywhere from 8pm est to 3am est. In the top divisions. Also there are so many organized leagues out there to make so many friends and play games.

    No offense but didnt you work for them at some point too? I have been here since before 08 reading. And no i play online and its just not fun anymore win or lose. You know what games arw most fun for me? When i lose to a guy who actually outplayed me, not relying on broken ai and cheese like 95 percent of the community. Funny you mentioned all the social media cus i read that too and see nothing BUT complaints about this series. The very same complaints we see here actually.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    B_Bunny wrote: »
    I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.

    NHL 20 - ? Let's be generous and say 700,000 - Avg. user rating 5.9
    NHL 19 - 730,000 - Avg. user rating 6
    NHL 18 - 960,000 Avg. user rating 6.5
    NHL 17 - 1,120,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 16 - 1,170,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 15 - 1,040,000 Avg. user rating 4
    NHL 14 - 1,100,000 Avg. user rating 7.3
    NHL 13 - 1,340,000 Avg. user rating 7.4

    I could go on and continue. What we see here is called a "trend". A "trend" is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

    This trend demonstrates a few things:

    1. Sales numbers have steadily been declining.
    2. Customer satisfaction has been steadily declining.
    3. You are wrong.

    No offense, but you don't have their sales numbers so you have no idea if they were declining or growing. I can say when I was in the offices a few years ago, they presented their actual sales numbers each year. They certainly weren't declining; if anything they were stagnant. The same people buy the game every year. If you look back the last few years, you can see they made a decision to try and reach another audience that hasn't been buying the game every year. The introduction of 3's, 1's, arcade modes etc. You don't need to search that many years back to find that people were complaining the game was too realistic and not fun. People made comments such as "It's a video game, you guys need to make it more fun again. It's not supposed to resemble real life 1:1. I want to have fun playing videogame hockey."

    What's this all mean? The customers aren't always right. The customers don't know what they want until you give it to them. And they will never please everyone because everyone has a different definition of what videogame hockey is and should be. I've been around long enough on the forums to see the pendulum swing to the extreme on both sides. They need, and I think have a solid middleground. Can there be improvements? Yes, always.

    But if you don't like the game or the direction it's going; don't support it. Or buy it used.

    Lol dont know what forums youve been reading but ive lurked here for years, and there was a time here when people were mostly happy with the game. It wasnt until hut came that people REALLY started turning on ea with this game, and every year it gets worse and more apparent the main focus is hut. I used to have 40 guys on my list playing every night....EVERY..NIGHT. all of them are still on my list...ive seen THREE play an nhl in the last 2 years and even then its rare to see. Also, no the customer isnt wrong....and that pretty much sums up eas attitude since we know you used to be part of the team somehow. Is that the mentality overall there? Cus it sure seems like it.

    People buy because they want to play hockey and have one option. To say ea doesnt exploit that fact would be a bald faced lie.

    These very forums, reddit, and other places. I've been on these forums so long and when I bring up the past because I remember the complaints people just deny it al now because it doesn't fit their narrativel. Before we moved to the new forums I have been a member since 08.

    Ultimate Team hasn't ruined anything. There is still gameplay changes each year from feedback Maybe not your feedback because you're not the right people to listen to. Still getting modes tweaked here and there. I mean the people who feel Ultimate Team has ruined their game are probably the versus and offline people.

    Sports games in general have reached a level where gameplay isn't going to be vastly different year from year. There isn't really anything revolutionary left to bring to the table. The skill stick was the biggest thing and nothing will come close to evolving the game anymore. When NHL officially goes next-gen we will see some improvements to the game like faster loading, graphics slightly better if at all, and hopefully better fps.

    And yes the customer can be wrong you just don't tell them it and just ignore them instead. No one forces you to buy the new iterations and if you don't like the direction the game is going simply leave it behind IF you can. Don't say since EA is the only one that makes a hockey game it leaves no choice because the choice is not buying it also.

    @Flames_Boy93 Amazing I've had no problem finding 6s games all year on Xbox. I usually play anywhere from 8pm est to 3am est. In the top divisions. Also there are so many organized leagues out there to make so many friends and play games.

    The moment you need to bring up 3rd party leagues as workaround to finding games is the moment you should realize club 6’s are dead. 3’s totally killed it and then add-in drop-in, drop-in 3’s, 3’ eliminator, and ones, there’s just not enough people who actually enjoy this product enough to sustain 7 game modes of single character-controlled modes alone.

    There’s absolutely no denying how small the online community feels, if not is, than old-gen games. No lobbies has killed the online experience, not to mention those dreaded ODR’s with blinding gear and lighting that makes it hard to track the puck for drop-ins. Oh and let’s make pressing the poke button = a penalty for 85% of the online community who doesn’t bother to learn it. That’ll make games super fast and fun to play! While we’re at it, let’s make CPU’s the best player on the ice in any given drop-in game due to the fact that they don’t fatigue, skate at 100% the whole time, win every puck battles, and can throw 160 foot backhanded passes with pace to some cherrypicker calling for it while the CPU is face-first in the glass! Skill gap! Let’s not fix the one-hand tuck. Let’s make sure goalies get beat from 50 feet out with no screen! Skill gap! Let’s make sure screens don’t work and tic-tag-toe plays with a one-timer are less successful than one-hand tucks and slowly gliding and shooting an unscreened shot. That’ll encourage team play!

    If the checking was abysmally broken in Legacy, they’d have 20 beat by a mile.

    No 6's has simply evolved much more is what it is. Lots of the top teams play majority of their games in private scrimmages so they can avoid the lesser talent teams. I mean they did an esports thing on the popular site with over 100 teams competing. I don't do the drop-in thing like ever. Even if it was on ice rinks I still see it as nothing more than a place to goof around. Thankfully now there is practice mode and I can work on things there.

    When it comes to World of Chel I simply don't play if CPU are involved. It's not hockey to me if it's not all humans deciding the games.



  • Yeah, it would be really revolutionary if EA could make sticks that are physically solid ALL THE TIME...
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited September 28
    B_Bunny wrote: »
    I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.

    NHL 20 - ? Let's be generous and say 700,000 - Avg. user rating 5.9
    NHL 19 - 730,000 - Avg. user rating 6
    NHL 18 - 960,000 Avg. user rating 6.5
    NHL 17 - 1,120,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 16 - 1,170,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 15 - 1,040,000 Avg. user rating 4
    NHL 14 - 1,100,000 Avg. user rating 7.3
    NHL 13 - 1,340,000 Avg. user rating 7.4

    I could go on and continue. What we see here is called a "trend". A "trend" is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

    This trend demonstrates a few things:

    1. Sales numbers have steadily been declining.
    2. Customer satisfaction has been steadily declining.
    3. You are wrong.

    No offense, but you don't have their sales numbers so you have no idea if they were declining or growing. I can say when I was in the offices a few years ago, they presented their actual sales numbers each year. They certainly weren't declining; if anything they were stagnant. The same people buy the game every year. If you look back the last few years, you can see they made a decision to try and reach another audience that hasn't been buying the game every year. The introduction of 3's, 1's, arcade modes etc. You don't need to search that many years back to find that people were complaining the game was too realistic and not fun. People made comments such as "It's a video game, you guys need to make it more fun again. It's not supposed to resemble real life 1:1. I want to have fun playing videogame hockey."

    What's this all mean? The customers aren't always right. The customers don't know what they want until you give it to them. And they will never please everyone because everyone has a different definition of what videogame hockey is and should be. I've been around long enough on the forums to see the pendulum swing to the extreme on both sides. They need, and I think have a solid middleground. Can there be improvements? Yes, always.

    But if you don't like the game or the direction it's going; don't support it. Or buy it used.

    Lol dont know what forums youve been reading but ive lurked here for years, and there was a time here when people were mostly happy with the game. It wasnt until hut came that people REALLY started turning on ea with this game, and every year it gets worse and more apparent the main focus is hut. I used to have 40 guys on my list playing every night....EVERY..NIGHT. all of them are still on my list...ive seen THREE play an nhl in the last 2 years and even then its rare to see. Also, no the customer isnt wrong....and that pretty much sums up eas attitude since we know you used to be part of the team somehow. Is that the mentality overall there? Cus it sure seems like it.

    People buy because they want to play hockey and have one option. To say ea doesnt exploit that fact would be a bald faced lie.

    Nah I would say they're much more open over at the studio. I've just learned customers (maybe gamers is a better term, unless you've ever worked in customer service) think they know what they want, until they get it.

    Yeah, it's the only hockey option available. Hence why it's the same people buying the game every year. The past half decade or so they've tried reaching an audience that hadn't been buying it, a younger crowd. You don't start saying CHEL in your marketing if you aren't aiming for that. But there definitely was a shift from like NHL 09 to 13ish where the game became or tried to be much more realistic; and people complained.

    For instance, people complained back then that the puck ALWAYS went through opposing players sticks and skates. Sitting in the slot to defend a pass? sorry let me force that through you for the onetimer. Goal. When pickups improved and we started getting better hitboxes for skates and sticks, those kind of things went way down, and there was a loud minority (per usual with stuff like this) that disliked it.

    So as I said earlier, we've been at both extremes. This is definitely more of a middleground. But if their sales were trending downwards year after year, there would be a major shakeup.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • B_Bunny wrote: »
    B_Bunny wrote: »
    I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.

    NHL 20 - ? Let's be generous and say 700,000 - Avg. user rating 5.9
    NHL 19 - 730,000 - Avg. user rating 6
    NHL 18 - 960,000 Avg. user rating 6.5
    NHL 17 - 1,120,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 16 - 1,170,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 15 - 1,040,000 Avg. user rating 4
    NHL 14 - 1,100,000 Avg. user rating 7.3
    NHL 13 - 1,340,000 Avg. user rating 7.4

    I could go on and continue. What we see here is called a "trend". A "trend" is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

    This trend demonstrates a few things:

    1. Sales numbers have steadily been declining.
    2. Customer satisfaction has been steadily declining.
    3. You are wrong.

    No offense, but you don't have their sales numbers so you have no idea if they were declining or growing. I can say when I was in the offices a few years ago, they presented their actual sales numbers each year. They certainly weren't declining; if anything they were stagnant. The same people buy the game every year. If you look back the last few years, you can see they made a decision to try and reach another audience that hasn't been buying the game every year. The introduction of 3's, 1's, arcade modes etc. You don't need to search that many years back to find that people were complaining the game was too realistic and not fun. People made comments such as "It's a video game, you guys need to make it more fun again. It's not supposed to resemble real life 1:1. I want to have fun playing videogame hockey."

    What's this all mean? The customers aren't always right. The customers don't know what they want until you give it to them. And they will never please everyone because everyone has a different definition of what videogame hockey is and should be. I've been around long enough on the forums to see the pendulum swing to the extreme on both sides. They need, and I think have a solid middleground. Can there be improvements? Yes, always.

    But if you don't like the game or the direction it's going; don't support it. Or buy it used.

    Lol dont know what forums youve been reading but ive lurked here for years, and there was a time here when people were mostly happy with the game. It wasnt until hut came that people REALLY started turning on ea with this game, and every year it gets worse and more apparent the main focus is hut. I used to have 40 guys on my list playing every night....EVERY..NIGHT. all of them are still on my list...ive seen THREE play an nhl in the last 2 years and even then its rare to see. Also, no the customer isnt wrong....and that pretty much sums up eas attitude since we know you used to be part of the team somehow. Is that the mentality overall there? Cus it sure seems like it.

    People buy because they want to play hockey and have one option. To say ea doesnt exploit that fact would be a bald faced lie.

    Nah I would say they're much more open over at the studio. I've just learned customers (maybe gamers is a better term, unless you've ever worked in customer service) think they know what they want, until they get it.

    Yeah, it's the only hockey option available. Hence why it's the same people buying the game every year. The past half decade or so they've tried reaching an audience that hadn't been buying it, a younger crowd. You don't start saying CHEL in your marketing if you aren't aiming for that. But there definitely was a shift from like NHL 09 to 13ish where the game became or tried to be much more realistic; and people complained.

    For instance, people complained back then that the puck ALWAYS went through opposing players sticks and skates. Sitting in the slot to defend a pass? sorry let me force that through you for the onetimer. Goal. When pickups improved and we started getting better hitboxes for skates and sticks, those kind of things went way down, and there was a loud minority (per usual with stuff like this) that disliked it.

    So as I said earlier, we've been at both extremes. This is definitely more of a middleground. But if their sales were trending downwards year after year, there would be a major shakeup.

    Don't forget that we could do dekes pretty much without fail because the puck was like literally on a string. The goal line goalies back then where you could do even less back then and be stellar. Oh we can't forget the curve shot either.

  • Follisimo wrote: »
    B_Bunny wrote: »
    B_Bunny wrote: »
    I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.

    NHL 20 - ? Let's be generous and say 700,000 - Avg. user rating 5.9
    NHL 19 - 730,000 - Avg. user rating 6
    NHL 18 - 960,000 Avg. user rating 6.5
    NHL 17 - 1,120,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 16 - 1,170,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 15 - 1,040,000 Avg. user rating 4
    NHL 14 - 1,100,000 Avg. user rating 7.3
    NHL 13 - 1,340,000 Avg. user rating 7.4

    I could go on and continue. What we see here is called a "trend". A "trend" is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

    This trend demonstrates a few things:

    1. Sales numbers have steadily been declining.
    2. Customer satisfaction has been steadily declining.
    3. You are wrong.

    No offense, but you don't have their sales numbers so you have no idea if they were declining or growing. I can say when I was in the offices a few years ago, they presented their actual sales numbers each year. They certainly weren't declining; if anything they were stagnant. The same people buy the game every year. If you look back the last few years, you can see they made a decision to try and reach another audience that hasn't been buying the game every year. The introduction of 3's, 1's, arcade modes etc. You don't need to search that many years back to find that people were complaining the game was too realistic and not fun. People made comments such as "It's a video game, you guys need to make it more fun again. It's not supposed to resemble real life 1:1. I want to have fun playing videogame hockey."

    What's this all mean? The customers aren't always right. The customers don't know what they want until you give it to them. And they will never please everyone because everyone has a different definition of what videogame hockey is and should be. I've been around long enough on the forums to see the pendulum swing to the extreme on both sides. They need, and I think have a solid middleground. Can there be improvements? Yes, always.

    But if you don't like the game or the direction it's going; don't support it. Or buy it used.

    Lol dont know what forums youve been reading but ive lurked here for years, and there was a time here when people were mostly happy with the game. It wasnt until hut came that people REALLY started turning on ea with this game, and every year it gets worse and more apparent the main focus is hut. I used to have 40 guys on my list playing every night....EVERY..NIGHT. all of them are still on my list...ive seen THREE play an nhl in the last 2 years and even then its rare to see. Also, no the customer isnt wrong....and that pretty much sums up eas attitude since we know you used to be part of the team somehow. Is that the mentality overall there? Cus it sure seems like it.

    People buy because they want to play hockey and have one option. To say ea doesnt exploit that fact would be a bald faced lie.

    Nah I would say they're much more open over at the studio. I've just learned customers (maybe gamers is a better term, unless you've ever worked in customer service) think they know what they want, until they get it.

    Yeah, it's the only hockey option available. Hence why it's the same people buying the game every year. The past half decade or so they've tried reaching an audience that hadn't been buying it, a younger crowd. You don't start saying CHEL in your marketing if you aren't aiming for that. But there definitely was a shift from like NHL 09 to 13ish where the game became or tried to be much more realistic; and people complained.

    For instance, people complained back then that the puck ALWAYS went through opposing players sticks and skates. Sitting in the slot to defend a pass? sorry let me force that through you for the onetimer. Goal. When pickups improved and we started getting better hitboxes for skates and sticks, those kind of things went way down, and there was a loud minority (per usual with stuff like this) that disliked it.

    So as I said earlier, we've been at both extremes. This is definitely more of a middleground. But if their sales were trending downwards year after year, there would be a major shakeup.

    Don't forget that we could do dekes pretty much without fail because the puck was like literally on a string. The goal line goalies back then where you could do even less back then and be stellar. Oh we can't forget the curve shot either.

    Wait, hes talking about how it was more realism based back then, and you bring up this which contradicts his point. I do remember those though, and oof that curve shot lol.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!