EA Forums - Banner

EA WAKE UP!!! Customers aren't happy!

Replies

  • kezz123
    572 posts Member
    edited September 29
    I’m a happy customer.

    You’re never going to get “real hockey” in a video game. Just lie you’re never going to get “real football” in Madden or “real football” in FIFA.

    You’re always going to get an artists’ rendition of the sport which means it’s locked in to an interpretation.... an interpretation you either like or don’t like.

    Where gamers drive me nuts these days is their insistence that the games fit their specific needs and wants - and if the artists’ rendition of the sport doesn’t match those needs and wants - they call the developers “trash” and pander to the crowd about how “the game sucks”

    Meanwhile - hundreds of thousands of other customers are perfectly content with the effort EA puts out - not every year - but for the most part they’ve done a good job.

    NHL 20 - ? Let's be generous and say 700,000 - Avg. user rating 5.9
    NHL 19 - 730,000 - Avg. user rating 6
    NHL 18 - 960,000 Avg. user rating 6.5
    NHL 17 - 1,120,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 16 - 1,170,000 Avg. user rating 6.7
    NHL 15 - 1,040,000 Avg. user rating 4
    NHL 14 - 1,100,000 Avg. user rating 7.3
    NHL 13 - 1,340,000 Avg. user rating 7.4

    I could go on and continue. What we see here is called a "trend". A "trend" is defined as "a general direction in which something is developing or changing."

    This trend demonstrates a few things:

    1. Sales numbers have steadily been declining.
    2. Customer satisfaction has been steadily declining.
    3. You are wrong.

    Every post you make attacking people, more importantly CUSTOMERS, who pay money for a product, the more you foster a hostile environment. Which is unacceptable and unnecessary.

    Personally, I am stoked you love this game. Perhaps even jealous. For 32 years I have played the game of hockey, grown as a person, traveled North America, skated with professionals, played on the national level, even won a few awards. Hockey is my favorite thing. I WANT to enjoy the game. It is awfully telling the 20-some people I used to play with has dwindled to 4 and we can hardly stomach more than 2 games because this game has a TON of toxic players and some major deficiencies. Eventually, it will be only be the toxic's left. Perhaps you want that? Not a real good position to have if that is the case.

    What you fail to realize is there aren't 7 miserable people on a forum who have slowly started to despise this game but, according to numbers, about 2-300,000 people who are feeling the same way...and those numbers continue to grow.

    I fail to believe you are not an intelligent person who can't recognize this stuff. What I find hard to understand is your willingness and apparent love for attacking people who say what we say and do what we do in an effort to HELP the game grow again. Because it is not growing. It is failing. It isn't my fault, or @VeNOM2099 's fault, or @Sega82mega 's fault, or @untouchable_BF1 's fault, or @Oslik1000 's fault, etc. etc. It is the fault of the people who develop, market, and publish this game.

    Take it up with them. Tell em "it bothers me that people do not like this game and I hate these people's opinions so you need to do something about it."

    So relax, bud, and enjoy another year of underachievement. Praising lackluster efforts is the American way anymore.

    Great post full of good real concepts that unfortunately will be wasted on the target audience as it does not have the capacity to understand said complex thought process. My friend list of over 20-30 people who used to play this game almost every single night for hours has dwindled down to 1 person who still plays from time to time. My club of 5 players all came to the point you described (playing 2-3 games and feeling disgusted regardless of whether we won or lost of all things) a few years ago. We all stopped buying and playing the game for a few years now yet we all keep talking about how much we miss playing a hockey game so bad and how fun it used to be.

    Ironically one of my clubmate's young brother now plays a tons and keeps telling us how good the game is and how much more talented the "new era" is at the game. We watched him play...0 vision just the same plays over and over trying to exploit the same glitch shots all game long its awful to watch.

    We tried to explain to him how the smaller the player pool, the least competitive and representative of true skill you have. IE: Team China's best hockey players being a fraction of the skill level of Team Canada. Anyways...its all pointless...They like it...great for them. Meanwhile, those of us who are awaiting for EA to hit low enough a plateau to start putting forth meaningful changes the their business model for this game will have to keep waiting a few years for the "new era" to get tired of the game.

    PS: the reason why the sales keep going down but EA is still not reacting is because of HUT players making up with the 100's of dollars they spend each year to buy packs. They got a nice little gambling addiction attraction going there and its likely representing a huge chunk of their profits. If you remove HUT, 1-the sales would plunge even more and 2-the revenues would drop massively. Of course I say all this without any evidence, but logically, anyone really think this isnt true? f2p cell phone games with similar models are having superbowl ads.
  • LOL I see this forum hasn't changed since 2012. Honestly, the online community ruined this game for me. Back in 2012/2013 when I had a club to play with, the game was fun as hell. I never had to rely on drop-ins being fun/not full of trolls because I only played with my friends.
    Nowadays, due to life happening or losing interest in the game, those guys don't play anymore.

    For the last 3 years I've bought NHL at the end of the hockey season for a huge discount. I would hop on, create my character, jump into drop in 3s or 6s, play a game or two and immediately be met with the same old 🎃🎃🎃🎃: players that never pass, players that intentionally ruin the game for others, players that literally LEAVE LOBBIES because they see a low level player on their team (when in reality that low level player is most likely much better than their drop-in 🎃🎃🎃🎃) and can't see past their own nose.

    Could I find a new club? Sure. Join a league? Sure. Unfortunately that stuff takes a lot of time and for a 31 year old guy it's time I don't have. I think it's safe to say that the "pick up and play" experience of this game has gone to utter crap. This is what made me strictly an OVP player back when I was still playing a lot but my boys had stopped (like NHL14-NHL17). Unfortunately, with OVP, you make it to the top 500 or higher and the game becomes a matter of who can out exploit the other. I remember in NHL16 I was top 100 (somehow) and those games were not the slightest bit fun.
  • Santini3 wrote: »
    LOL I see this forum hasn't changed since 2012. Honestly, the online community ruined this game for me. Back in 2012/2013 when I had a club to play with, the game was fun as hell. I never had to rely on drop-ins being fun/not full of trolls because I only played with my friends.
    Nowadays, due to life happening or losing interest in the game, those guys don't play anymore.

    For the last 3 years I've bought NHL at the end of the hockey season for a huge discount. I would hop on, create my character, jump into drop in 3s or 6s, play a game or two and immediately be met with the same old ****: players that never pass, players that intentionally ruin the game for others, players that literally LEAVE LOBBIES because they see a low level player on their team (when in reality that low level player is most likely much better than their drop-in ****) and can't see past their own nose.

    Could I find a new club? Sure. Join a league? Sure. Unfortunately that stuff takes a lot of time and for a 31 year old guy it's time I don't have. I think it's safe to say that the "pick up and play" experience of this game has gone to utter crap. This is what made me strictly an OVP player back when I was still playing a lot but my boys had stopped (like NHL14-NHL17). Unfortunately, with OVP, you make it to the top 500 or higher and the game becomes a matter of who can out exploit the other. I remember in NHL16 I was top 100 (somehow) and those games were not the slightest bit fun.

    I couldn't agree more. I've been trying to drive the fix the dropin bus here for a while. You change your entire focus to try and get new customers to try the game then they see the mess that dropins are with trolls, quitters and then dumb but superhero strong ai filling in for the quitters and you wonder why they don't hang around?

    Meanwhile your longer term hard-core crowd are reaching the phase in life that they can't keep doing league/club life and they quit because of the mess that dropins have become.

    Will dropins ever be near the same level of skill, teamwork or coordination as clubs/leagues? No of course not but, regardless of how you look at them it is the lifeblood to growing and maintaining your team mode player base. I don't understand the compete cold shoulder this team gives to dropins.
  • EA_Aljo
    1747 posts EA Community Manager
    jrago73 wrote: »
    Santini3 wrote: »
    LOL I see this forum hasn't changed since 2012. Honestly, the online community ruined this game for me. Back in 2012/2013 when I had a club to play with, the game was fun as hell. I never had to rely on drop-ins being fun/not full of trolls because I only played with my friends.
    Nowadays, due to life happening or losing interest in the game, those guys don't play anymore.

    For the last 3 years I've bought NHL at the end of the hockey season for a huge discount. I would hop on, create my character, jump into drop in 3s or 6s, play a game or two and immediately be met with the same old ****: players that never pass, players that intentionally ruin the game for others, players that literally LEAVE LOBBIES because they see a low level player on their team (when in reality that low level player is most likely much better than their drop-in ****) and can't see past their own nose.

    Could I find a new club? Sure. Join a league? Sure. Unfortunately that stuff takes a lot of time and for a 31 year old guy it's time I don't have. I think it's safe to say that the "pick up and play" experience of this game has gone to utter crap. This is what made me strictly an OVP player back when I was still playing a lot but my boys had stopped (like NHL14-NHL17). Unfortunately, with OVP, you make it to the top 500 or higher and the game becomes a matter of who can out exploit the other. I remember in NHL16 I was top 100 (somehow) and those games were not the slightest bit fun.

    I couldn't agree more. I've been trying to drive the fix the dropin bus here for a while. You change your entire focus to try and get new customers to try the game then they see the mess that dropins are with trolls, quitters and then dumb but superhero strong ai filling in for the quitters and you wonder why they don't hang around?

    Meanwhile your longer term hard-core crowd are reaching the phase in life that they can't keep doing league/club life and they quit because of the mess that dropins have become.

    Will dropins ever be near the same level of skill, teamwork or coordination as clubs/leagues? No of course not but, regardless of how you look at them it is the lifeblood to growing and maintaining your team mode player base. I don't understand the compete cold shoulder this team gives to dropins.

    There was no intent to give the cold shoulder to drop-ins. Obviously, it didn't go over well with everyone, but sometimes we need to take those risks. If the game never changed, it would add to the assumption that each year's release is just a roster update. This also means taking some chances and seeing how the community responds. The dev team is definitely aware of the feedback, but even if we wanted to just remove the current system for drop-ins, it's not something that could be easily done as it's quite ingrained into the game. Hopefully, it will change to appeal better to a wider audience down the road.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    jrago73 wrote: »
    Santini3 wrote: »
    LOL I see this forum hasn't changed since 2012. Honestly, the online community ruined this game for me. Back in 2012/2013 when I had a club to play with, the game was fun as hell. I never had to rely on drop-ins being fun/not full of trolls because I only played with my friends.
    Nowadays, due to life happening or losing interest in the game, those guys don't play anymore.

    For the last 3 years I've bought NHL at the end of the hockey season for a huge discount. I would hop on, create my character, jump into drop in 3s or 6s, play a game or two and immediately be met with the same old ****: players that never pass, players that intentionally ruin the game for others, players that literally LEAVE LOBBIES because they see a low level player on their team (when in reality that low level player is most likely much better than their drop-in ****) and can't see past their own nose.

    Could I find a new club? Sure. Join a league? Sure. Unfortunately that stuff takes a lot of time and for a 31 year old guy it's time I don't have. I think it's safe to say that the "pick up and play" experience of this game has gone to utter crap. This is what made me strictly an OVP player back when I was still playing a lot but my boys had stopped (like NHL14-NHL17). Unfortunately, with OVP, you make it to the top 500 or higher and the game becomes a matter of who can out exploit the other. I remember in NHL16 I was top 100 (somehow) and those games were not the slightest bit fun.

    I couldn't agree more. I've been trying to drive the fix the dropin bus here for a while. You change your entire focus to try and get new customers to try the game then they see the mess that dropins are with trolls, quitters and then dumb but superhero strong ai filling in for the quitters and you wonder why they don't hang around?

    Meanwhile your longer term hard-core crowd are reaching the phase in life that they can't keep doing league/club life and they quit because of the mess that dropins have become.

    Will dropins ever be near the same level of skill, teamwork or coordination as clubs/leagues? No of course not but, regardless of how you look at them it is the lifeblood to growing and maintaining your team mode player base. I don't understand the compete cold shoulder this team gives to dropins.

    There was no intent to give the cold shoulder to drop-ins. Obviously, it didn't go over well with everyone, but sometimes we need to take those risks. If the game never changed, it would add to the assumption that each year's release is just a roster update. This also means taking some chances and seeing how the community responds. The dev team is definitely aware of the feedback, but even if we wanted to just remove the current system for drop-ins, it's not something that could be easily done as it's quite ingrained into the game. Hopefully, it will change to appeal better to a wider audience down the road.

    Why not then have different options. Like if players want an arcade type drop-in, then have that as a another mode away from indoor drop-in. I know a lot of us who want indoor drop-in and jersey selection back. As for the roster update thing! Exactly what has been done to make this game better since 2017? Adding outdoor hockey and 3's was something different. But other than that it took over 4 years to fix Be A Pro. Then we get the option to play indoor drop-in taken away when many of us cannot fathom to play outdoor drop-in when our club isn't around. Took me a my buddies 7 hours back in February to get 1 full drop-in and 3 hours for club. We eventually moved to a different game.
  • EA_Aljo
    1747 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    jrago73 wrote: »
    Santini3 wrote: »
    LOL I see this forum hasn't changed since 2012. Honestly, the online community ruined this game for me. Back in 2012/2013 when I had a club to play with, the game was fun as hell. I never had to rely on drop-ins being fun/not full of trolls because I only played with my friends.
    Nowadays, due to life happening or losing interest in the game, those guys don't play anymore.

    For the last 3 years I've bought NHL at the end of the hockey season for a huge discount. I would hop on, create my character, jump into drop in 3s or 6s, play a game or two and immediately be met with the same old ****: players that never pass, players that intentionally ruin the game for others, players that literally LEAVE LOBBIES because they see a low level player on their team (when in reality that low level player is most likely much better than their drop-in ****) and can't see past their own nose.

    Could I find a new club? Sure. Join a league? Sure. Unfortunately that stuff takes a lot of time and for a 31 year old guy it's time I don't have. I think it's safe to say that the "pick up and play" experience of this game has gone to utter crap. This is what made me strictly an OVP player back when I was still playing a lot but my boys had stopped (like NHL14-NHL17). Unfortunately, with OVP, you make it to the top 500 or higher and the game becomes a matter of who can out exploit the other. I remember in NHL16 I was top 100 (somehow) and those games were not the slightest bit fun.

    I couldn't agree more. I've been trying to drive the fix the dropin bus here for a while. You change your entire focus to try and get new customers to try the game then they see the mess that dropins are with trolls, quitters and then dumb but superhero strong ai filling in for the quitters and you wonder why they don't hang around?

    Meanwhile your longer term hard-core crowd are reaching the phase in life that they can't keep doing league/club life and they quit because of the mess that dropins have become.

    Will dropins ever be near the same level of skill, teamwork or coordination as clubs/leagues? No of course not but, regardless of how you look at them it is the lifeblood to growing and maintaining your team mode player base. I don't understand the compete cold shoulder this team gives to dropins.

    There was no intent to give the cold shoulder to drop-ins. Obviously, it didn't go over well with everyone, but sometimes we need to take those risks. If the game never changed, it would add to the assumption that each year's release is just a roster update. This also means taking some chances and seeing how the community responds. The dev team is definitely aware of the feedback, but even if we wanted to just remove the current system for drop-ins, it's not something that could be easily done as it's quite ingrained into the game. Hopefully, it will change to appeal better to a wider audience down the road.

    Why not then have different options. Like if players want an arcade type drop-in, then have that as a another mode away from indoor drop-in. I know a lot of us who want indoor drop-in and jersey selection back. As for the roster update thing! Exactly what has been done to make this game better since 2017? Adding outdoor hockey and 3's was something different. But other than that it took over 4 years to fix Be A Pro. Then we get the option to play indoor drop-in taken away when many of us cannot fathom to play outdoor drop-in when our club isn't around. Took me a my buddies 7 hours back in February to get 1 full drop-in and 3 hours for club. We eventually moved to a different game.

    Gameplay has been a huge focus. New skating and shooting were big editions that a lot of work went into. It's not just about adding new modes, but making gameplay more fun and realistic.

    Drop-ins were meant to be more casual while club games were intended to be more competitive. Which is why they both have different environments. It's always been my experience though, going back to when EASHL was first introduced, that regardless of outdoor or indoor for drop-ins, the same behavior existed. Many have fun trolling, but it's on us to put measures in to curb that. You also have people trying out different builds or styles of play in drop-ins. They can be more experimental in that way. They just typically aren't taken as serious and competitive as club games. The environment and wearing authentic jerseys don't really change that. I think the biggest difference was the grind to L3 which forced you to play well until that rank was achieved.
  • Should have some kinda voting system, where you could rate your teammates for good or bad behavior. And a matchmaker that put together team with 'good behavior' and in descending order. So that good meets good and bad meets bad and everything in between.
  • EA_Aljo
    1747 posts EA Community Manager
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Should have some kinda voting system, where you could rate your teammates for good or bad behavior. And a matchmaker that put together team with 'good behavior' and in descending order. So that good meets good and bad meets bad and everything in between.

    In theory, this sounds great, but people would unfairly get rated poorly. There would have to be a way to rate someone under certain conditions. Like, when the game detects poor teamplay or going AFK. Otherwise, you'd have people rating others poorly just because they lost to them.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Should have some kinda voting system, where you could rate your teammates for good or bad behavior. And a matchmaker that put together team with 'good behavior' and in descending order. So that good meets good and bad meets bad and everything in between.

    In theory, this sounds great, but people would unfairly get rated poorly. There would have to be a way to rate someone under certain conditions. Like, when the game detects poor teamplay or going AFK. Otherwise, you'd have people rating others poorly just because they lost to them.

    Yeah I thought so too.. (of course they do).. But I was thinking, maybe in the long run, the grade will show it's true colors.

    But yeah, something along this way.. Should be a decent fix..
  • EA_Aljo
    1747 posts EA Community Manager
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Should have some kinda voting system, where you could rate your teammates for good or bad behavior. And a matchmaker that put together team with 'good behavior' and in descending order. So that good meets good and bad meets bad and everything in between.

    In theory, this sounds great, but people would unfairly get rated poorly. There would have to be a way to rate someone under certain conditions. Like, when the game detects poor teamplay or going AFK. Otherwise, you'd have people rating others poorly just because they lost to them.

    Yeah I thought so too.. (of course they do).. But I was thinking, maybe in the long run, the grade will show it's true colors.

    But yeah, something along this way.. Should be a decent fix..

    I definitely like the idea of a rating system. So long as it couldn't be manipulated or abused. Regardless, I know toxic behavior is something the dev team is trying to minimize as much as possible.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Should have some kinda voting system, where you could rate your teammates for good or bad behavior. And a matchmaker that put together team with 'good behavior' and in descending order. So that good meets good and bad meets bad and everything in between.

    In theory, this sounds great, but people would unfairly get rated poorly. There would have to be a way to rate someone under certain conditions. Like, when the game detects poor teamplay or going AFK. Otherwise, you'd have people rating others poorly just because they lost to them.

    Not if you limited only being able to give players positive ratings, and then giving players badges for getting certain numbers of positive ratings.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Should have some kinda voting system, where you could rate your teammates for good or bad behavior. And a matchmaker that put together team with 'good behavior' and in descending order. So that good meets good and bad meets bad and everything in between.

    In theory, this sounds great, but people would unfairly get rated poorly. There would have to be a way to rate someone under certain conditions. Like, when the game detects poor teamplay or going AFK. Otherwise, you'd have people rating others poorly just because they lost to them.

    Yeah I thought so too.. (of course they do).. But I was thinking, maybe in the long run, the grade will show it's true colors.

    But yeah, something along this way.. Should be a decent fix..

    I definitely like the idea of a rating system. So long as it couldn't be manipulated or abused. Regardless, I know toxic behavior is something the dev team is trying to minimize as much as possible.

    Im not spending so much time in that mode as it it, but I read alot of complain about bad behavior, maybe worth trying some new solution and then evaluate with the community and see what happen. But im sure you doing your best!
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Should have some kinda voting system, where you could rate your teammates for good or bad behavior. And a matchmaker that put together team with 'good behavior' and in descending order. So that good meets good and bad meets bad and everything in between.

    In theory, this sounds great, but people would unfairly get rated poorly. There would have to be a way to rate someone under certain conditions. Like, when the game detects poor teamplay or going AFK. Otherwise, you'd have people rating others poorly just because they lost to them.

    Not if you limited only being able to give players positive ratings, and then giving players badges for getting certain numbers of positive ratings.

    Nice!
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Should have some kinda voting system, where you could rate your teammates for good or bad behavior. And a matchmaker that put together team with 'good behavior' and in descending order. So that good meets good and bad meets bad and everything in between.

    In theory, this sounds great, but people would unfairly get rated poorly. There would have to be a way to rate someone under certain conditions. Like, when the game detects poor teamplay or going AFK. Otherwise, you'd have people rating others poorly just because they lost to them.

    Yeah I thought so too.. (of course they do).. But I was thinking, maybe in the long run, the grade will show it's true colors.

    But yeah, something along this way.. Should be a decent fix..

    I definitely like the idea of a rating system. So long as it couldn't be manipulated or abused. Regardless, I know toxic behavior is something the dev team is trying to minimize as much as possible.

    Im not spending so much time in that mode as it it, but I read alot of complain about bad behavior, maybe worth trying some new solution and then evaluate with the community and see what happen. But im sure you doing your best!

    Should add a feature like Siege. If players are deliberately trolling, they get kicked out for a certain time limit after being kicked for poor team play.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    jrago73 wrote: »
    Santini3 wrote: »
    LOL I see this forum hasn't changed since 2012. Honestly, the online community ruined this game for me. Back in 2012/2013 when I had a club to play with, the game was fun as hell. I never had to rely on drop-ins being fun/not full of trolls because I only played with my friends.
    Nowadays, due to life happening or losing interest in the game, those guys don't play anymore.

    For the last 3 years I've bought NHL at the end of the hockey season for a huge discount. I would hop on, create my character, jump into drop in 3s or 6s, play a game or two and immediately be met with the same old ****: players that never pass, players that intentionally ruin the game for others, players that literally LEAVE LOBBIES because they see a low level player on their team (when in reality that low level player is most likely much better than their drop-in ****) and can't see past their own nose.

    Could I find a new club? Sure. Join a league? Sure. Unfortunately that stuff takes a lot of time and for a 31 year old guy it's time I don't have. I think it's safe to say that the "pick up and play" experience of this game has gone to utter crap. This is what made me strictly an OVP player back when I was still playing a lot but my boys had stopped (like NHL14-NHL17). Unfortunately, with OVP, you make it to the top 500 or higher and the game becomes a matter of who can out exploit the other. I remember in NHL16 I was top 100 (somehow) and those games were not the slightest bit fun.

    I couldn't agree more. I've been trying to drive the fix the dropin bus here for a while. You change your entire focus to try and get new customers to try the game then they see the mess that dropins are with trolls, quitters and then dumb but superhero strong ai filling in for the quitters and you wonder why they don't hang around?

    Meanwhile your longer term hard-core crowd are reaching the phase in life that they can't keep doing league/club life and they quit because of the mess that dropins have become.

    Will dropins ever be near the same level of skill, teamwork or coordination as clubs/leagues? No of course not but, regardless of how you look at them it is the lifeblood to growing and maintaining your team mode player base. I don't understand the compete cold shoulder this team gives to dropins.

    There was no intent to give the cold shoulder to drop-ins. Obviously, it didn't go over well with everyone, but sometimes we need to take those risks. If the game never changed, it would add to the assumption that each year's release is just a roster update. This also means taking some chances and seeing how the community responds. The dev team is definitely aware of the feedback, but even if we wanted to just remove the current system for drop-ins, it's not something that could be easily done as it's quite ingrained into the game. Hopefully, it will change to appeal better to a wider audience down the road.

    Why not then have different options. Like if players want an arcade type drop-in, then have that as a another mode away from indoor drop-in. I know a lot of us who want indoor drop-in and jersey selection back. As for the roster update thing! Exactly what has been done to make this game better since 2017? Adding outdoor hockey and 3's was something different. But other than that it took over 4 years to fix Be A Pro. Then we get the option to play indoor drop-in taken away when many of us cannot fathom to play outdoor drop-in when our club isn't around. Took me a my buddies 7 hours back in February to get 1 full drop-in and 3 hours for club. We eventually moved to a different game.

    Gameplay has been a huge focus. New skating and shooting were big editions that a lot of work went into. It's not just about adding new modes, but making gameplay more fun and realistic.

    Drop-ins were meant to be more casual while club games were intended to be more competitive. Which is why they both have different environments. It's always been my experience though, going back to when EASHL was first introduced, that regardless of outdoor or indoor for drop-ins, the same behavior existed. Many have fun trolling, but it's on us to put measures in to curb that. You also have people trying out different builds or styles of play in drop-ins. They can be more experimental in that way. They just typically aren't taken as serious and competitive as club games. The environment and wearing authentic jerseys don't really change that. I think the biggest difference was the grind to L3 which forced you to play well until that rank was achieved.

    Its hard to give you guys a break when you deploy a glorified patch each year for the full price of a AAA title. We all know its exactly whats happening and possibly we all hate it. I know its above your paygrade but thats currently the biggest problem for everyone, you and us. You will never have enough time to code in enough changes and improvements in yearly cycles to satisfy both the thirst for new content and the satisfaction of meaningful changes.

    Anyways...it just sucks and I feel like it vastly impairs your ability to properly evolve the game because your time is probably broken up into introducing quick fixed alongside quick new features instead of properly developping and testing more robust content.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Should have some kinda voting system, where you could rate your teammates for good or bad behavior. And a matchmaker that put together team with 'good behavior' and in descending order. So that good meets good and bad meets bad and everything in between.

    In theory, this sounds great, but people would unfairly get rated poorly. There would have to be a way to rate someone under certain conditions. Like, when the game detects poor teamplay or going AFK. Otherwise, you'd have people rating others poorly just because they lost to them.

    Not if you limited only being able to give players positive ratings, and then giving players badges for getting certain numbers of positive ratings.

    To be devil's advocate....you think about this as an adult playing other adults....but what about mom who bought nhl for her 10 year old kid and the kid doesnt play super well nor have a good team play understanding? We all know a lot of greedy kids who wont pass...its a learned behavior. So wouldnt all these kids end up getting terrible ratings?
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Should have some kinda voting system, where you could rate your teammates for good or bad behavior. And a matchmaker that put together team with 'good behavior' and in descending order. So that good meets good and bad meets bad and everything in between.

    In theory, this sounds great, but people would unfairly get rated poorly. There would have to be a way to rate someone under certain conditions. Like, when the game detects poor teamplay or going AFK. Otherwise, you'd have people rating others poorly just because they lost to them.

    Not if you limited only being able to give players positive ratings, and then giving players badges for getting certain numbers of positive ratings.

    To be devil's advocate....you think about this as an adult playing other adults....but what about mom who bought nhl for her 10 year old kid and the kid doesnt play super well nor have a good team play understanding? We all know a lot of greedy kids who wont pass...its a learned behavior. So wouldnt all these kids end up getting terrible ratings?

    Its a good point, but if he's constant skating offside and is nowhere near to help the team, maybe he 'deserve' that grade, EA need to draw a line and cant see to everyone's best intrest. Maybe this 10 year old could start of in a diffrent game mode to learn the hockey ground rules and then come back, as long as he dosent act like a fool and trying the best he can without getting in the way to much, I think hes rate would gradually be better and better.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    jrago73 wrote: »
    Santini3 wrote: »
    LOL I see this forum hasn't changed since 2012. Honestly, the online community ruined this game for me. Back in 2012/2013 when I had a club to play with, the game was fun as hell. I never had to rely on drop-ins being fun/not full of trolls because I only played with my friends.
    Nowadays, due to life happening or losing interest in the game, those guys don't play anymore.

    For the last 3 years I've bought NHL at the end of the hockey season for a huge discount. I would hop on, create my character, jump into drop in 3s or 6s, play a game or two and immediately be met with the same old ****: players that never pass, players that intentionally ruin the game for others, players that literally LEAVE LOBBIES because they see a low level player on their team (when in reality that low level player is most likely much better than their drop-in ****) and can't see past their own nose.

    Could I find a new club? Sure. Join a league? Sure. Unfortunately that stuff takes a lot of time and for a 31 year old guy it's time I don't have. I think it's safe to say that the "pick up and play" experience of this game has gone to utter crap. This is what made me strictly an OVP player back when I was still playing a lot but my boys had stopped (like NHL14-NHL17). Unfortunately, with OVP, you make it to the top 500 or higher and the game becomes a matter of who can out exploit the other. I remember in NHL16 I was top 100 (somehow) and those games were not the slightest bit fun.

    I couldn't agree more. I've been trying to drive the fix the dropin bus here for a while. You change your entire focus to try and get new customers to try the game then they see the mess that dropins are with trolls, quitters and then dumb but superhero strong ai filling in for the quitters and you wonder why they don't hang around?

    Meanwhile your longer term hard-core crowd are reaching the phase in life that they can't keep doing league/club life and they quit because of the mess that dropins have become.

    Will dropins ever be near the same level of skill, teamwork or coordination as clubs/leagues? No of course not but, regardless of how you look at them it is the lifeblood to growing and maintaining your team mode player base. I don't understand the compete cold shoulder this team gives to dropins.

    There was no intent to give the cold shoulder to drop-ins. Obviously, it didn't go over well with everyone, but sometimes we need to take those risks. If the game never changed, it would add to the assumption that each year's release is just a roster update. This also means taking some chances and seeing how the community responds. The dev team is definitely aware of the feedback, but even if we wanted to just remove the current system for drop-ins, it's not something that could be easily done as it's quite ingrained into the game. Hopefully, it will change to appeal better to a wider audience down the road.

    I feel like you think I'm referring to out door rinks and the goofy clothes. While I've made it clear I didn't like those changes thats not what I'm referring to this time. At least those changes were EA trying something new.

    What I'm referring to are the things that effect the enjoyment of the gameplay regardless of environment.

    What I want to see is EA trying things to curb the griefers, deter the quitters and limit how often we have to play with or against the AI.

    The only thing that has been done ever is a very ineffective grading system that SOMETIMES kicks afk (afc?) players, and that was like what, 5 years ago?

    I want to see vote kicking implemented then if its being abused fine, turn it back off and tell us that's why we can't have nice things. I want players in dropin to be grouped by their dropin dnf rates or if you quit too often you get a timeout before you can join the next game. I want to see the game end once the ai is half of a team or more.

    Those are the things driving players away from dropins and thus driving them away from the game. If I had to choose between fixes similar to those mentioned above or revoking the outdoor stuff I hate so much, pass me that clown jersey every time. Make dropins OK again!
  • EA_Aljo
    1747 posts EA Community Manager
    jrago73 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    jrago73 wrote: »
    Santini3 wrote: »
    LOL I see this forum hasn't changed since 2012. Honestly, the online community ruined this game for me. Back in 2012/2013 when I had a club to play with, the game was fun as hell. I never had to rely on drop-ins being fun/not full of trolls because I only played with my friends.
    Nowadays, due to life happening or losing interest in the game, those guys don't play anymore.

    For the last 3 years I've bought NHL at the end of the hockey season for a huge discount. I would hop on, create my character, jump into drop in 3s or 6s, play a game or two and immediately be met with the same old ****: players that never pass, players that intentionally ruin the game for others, players that literally LEAVE LOBBIES because they see a low level player on their team (when in reality that low level player is most likely much better than their drop-in ****) and can't see past their own nose.

    Could I find a new club? Sure. Join a league? Sure. Unfortunately that stuff takes a lot of time and for a 31 year old guy it's time I don't have. I think it's safe to say that the "pick up and play" experience of this game has gone to utter crap. This is what made me strictly an OVP player back when I was still playing a lot but my boys had stopped (like NHL14-NHL17). Unfortunately, with OVP, you make it to the top 500 or higher and the game becomes a matter of who can out exploit the other. I remember in NHL16 I was top 100 (somehow) and those games were not the slightest bit fun.

    I couldn't agree more. I've been trying to drive the fix the dropin bus here for a while. You change your entire focus to try and get new customers to try the game then they see the mess that dropins are with trolls, quitters and then dumb but superhero strong ai filling in for the quitters and you wonder why they don't hang around?

    Meanwhile your longer term hard-core crowd are reaching the phase in life that they can't keep doing league/club life and they quit because of the mess that dropins have become.

    Will dropins ever be near the same level of skill, teamwork or coordination as clubs/leagues? No of course not but, regardless of how you look at them it is the lifeblood to growing and maintaining your team mode player base. I don't understand the compete cold shoulder this team gives to dropins.

    There was no intent to give the cold shoulder to drop-ins. Obviously, it didn't go over well with everyone, but sometimes we need to take those risks. If the game never changed, it would add to the assumption that each year's release is just a roster update. This also means taking some chances and seeing how the community responds. The dev team is definitely aware of the feedback, but even if we wanted to just remove the current system for drop-ins, it's not something that could be easily done as it's quite ingrained into the game. Hopefully, it will change to appeal better to a wider audience down the road.

    I feel like you think I'm referring to out door rinks and the goofy clothes. While I've made it clear I didn't like those changes thats not what I'm referring to this time. At least those changes were EA trying something new.

    What I'm referring to are the things that effect the enjoyment of the gameplay regardless of environment.

    What I want to see is EA trying things to curb the griefers, deter the quitters and limit how often we have to play with or against the AI.

    The only thing that has been done ever is a very ineffective grading system that SOMETIMES kicks afk (afc?) players, and that was like what, 5 years ago?

    I want to see vote kicking implemented then if its being abused fine, turn it back off and tell us that's why we can't have nice things. I want players in dropin to be grouped by their dropin dnf rates or if you quit too often you get a timeout before you can join the next game. I want to see the game end once the ai is half of a team or more.

    Those are the things driving players away from dropins and thus driving them away from the game. If I had to choose between fixes similar to those mentioned above or revoking the outdoor stuff I hate so much, pass me that clown jersey every time. Make dropins OK again!

    I agree that one of the things that keeps people away from drop-ins is the behavior of other players. I don't play a lot of them myself and that's one of the reasons why. I really hope there's a better system put in place for handling toxic players. Whether it's vote kicking, rating, or something more automated, it needs to be done just right to avoid the well-behaved players from getting unfairly penalized.
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Should have some kinda voting system, where you could rate your teammates for good or bad behavior. And a matchmaker that put together team with 'good behavior' and in descending order. So that good meets good and bad meets bad and everything in between.

    In theory, this sounds great, but people would unfairly get rated poorly. There would have to be a way to rate someone under certain conditions. Like, when the game detects poor teamplay or going AFK. Otherwise, you'd have people rating others poorly just because they lost to them.

    Not if you limited only being able to give players positive ratings, and then giving players badges for getting certain numbers of positive ratings.

    To be devil's advocate....you think about this as an adult playing other adults....but what about mom who bought nhl for her 10 year old kid and the kid doesnt play super well nor have a good team play understanding? We all know a lot of greedy kids who wont pass...its a learned behavior. So wouldnt all these kids end up getting terrible ratings?

    No because you don't allow people to give negative ratings.

    Only positive ratings.

    Your goal as a player is to rack up positive ratings in order to get a badge that says you're a positive team-player.

    If you're a poor player - you simply don't get those badges. No negative icons or ratings... just a lack of badges representing numerous positive ratings.

    You simply leave the negativity out of it and only put a spotlight on the positives.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!