EA Forums - Banner

NHL 21 Franchise Mode Deep Dive

Prev13
EA_Blueberry
3547 posts EA Community Manager
edited October 19
Welcome Franchise fans

We’re excited to tell you about the new additions this year to Franchise Mode. Last year we revamped scouting, added coaching as well as line chemistry. For NHL 21, we wanted to address some community requests that you’ve been sharing with us.

TRADE DEADLINE
We’ve added an all-new trade deadline experience replicating the frenzy broadcasted across the league every year. Before the trade deadline even begins, you’ll need to reevaluate your team and decide what route your franchise will take heading into the deadline. You’ll have four options to choose from:
  • Seller
  • Conservative Seller
  • Conservative Buyer
  • Buyer

Your experience within the trade deadline will be shaped by this decision and will influence what kind of trade offers you’ll receive.
yl4wmit2wdaf.png

Once you enter the Trade Deadline you are officially on the clock! Starting at 6AM(PST) you’ll have until 12PM(PST) to shore up any deals heading into the final stretch of the season. You’ll immediately notice that you’ll be presented with the top players on the trade block. You’ll also be able to see important information about each player like their contract status, trade value, and what the team is looking for in return.

Whenever a trade is made, you’ll be notified via the ticker at the bottom of the screen that will deliver details on every move on trade deadline day.

Just like the real trade deadline, the market value of players will fluctuate as the day goes on and you may see players go on or off the block based on prior trades a team has made.
vbs96powtmuq.png

You can sort by all available players and view each team's moveable assets, the top 10 players still available, players who are “off the market” who teams have decided to keep, and players who have been traded.
kbpmgrog05ss.png
6plj1771m5u0.png
9f3y2s2julvq.png

Once the clock strikes noon you’ll be presented with every move made and on your way to the back half of the season.
krpmd3pk1yvw.png

RECORD BOOK
A long requested feature has been the ability to view league and franchise records throughout your seasons as a GM. We’re happy to say we’re introducing an all new Record Book where that will be possible.
The Record Book will allow you to sort through numerous categories including career, season and rookie records in league history.

This includes:

All-time NHL Career Stats
2nblk444urfw.png
  • Most Games Played
  • Most Goalie Games Played
  • Most Goals
  • Most Points
  • Most Assists
  • Most Wins
  • Most Shutouts
  • Most 50 Goals Seasons
  • 100 Points Seasons

All-time NHL Season Stats
h7taeuog4ldm.png
  • Most Games Played
  • Most Goals
  • Most Assists
  • Most Points
  • Most Shutouts
  • Most Wins

All-time NHL Rookies Stats
p3hmmtmlu9ky.png
  • Most Goals
  • Most Assists
  • Most Points
  • Most Wins
  • Most Shutouts

Franchise Leaders
You can also view each team's current and all-time leaders in Career, Season, Rookie and Game statistics. As your seasons progress you’ll be able to keep track of any players breaking team or league records.
6spqphb1x55a.png
77p280wmjitj.png
3u1axgk5oex7.png
lkvz2siea3b7.png

ADDITIONAL UPDATES

Multiple Positions
We’ve added multiple positions for some players, this will help with lineup generation.
9buogll0xvug.png

Draft Class quality & Generated Prospect Quality
Two new settings that you can adjust before starting a Franchise Mode have been added.

Firstly, the ability to control draft class quality. This setting controls the frequency of a “Strong” draft class occurring, with highly touted prospects. When set to High, stronger draft classes are generated more often every year.
uo4op99fehb3.png

The second setting we’ve added is Generated Prospect Quality. This setting controls the quality of prospect generated in the NHL Entry Draft every year. When set to High more top end prospects are generated.
tvf62xfqd9ae.png

Draft Pick Trade Logic
We’ve updated the logic so CPU controlled teams will refrain from putting their draft picks on the trade block early in the season, waiting until their team is more established later in the campaign.

Revamp Trade Value of Players
You’ll notice a greater separation in trade value from player to player. Players like McDavid will have high value and be much harder to acquire. We’ve also adjusted the value of certain positions, centers and defenders will see an increase in overall value while goalies and wingers will have slightly less overall value than previous years.
vr9fon7zqecu.png

IN CLOSING...
We are excited about the new additions we’ve added this year. Let us know what you think and what you’d like to see down the line. We’ll continue to listen and act on your feedback.

(Source)
Post edited by EA_Blueberry on

Replies

• jjbyrd04
    23 posts Member
    edited October 6
    @EA_Blueberry Did you guys fix the bug where CHL players aren't eligible for AHL until 21 and change it back to age 20 or after so many years in CHL? And is there a preseason and post trade deadline roster limit of 50 instead of 23 players?
  • Is there any chance at having the ability to go further than the 25 year cap in franchise mode?
  • Also, have you guys improved the chemistry and player/coach preferences distribution? It was abysmal to start out. Also it would be nice if chemistry between lines weren't dependent on player type. There's no way a line will suffer because one of the players is a two way forward, and no way a line is guaranteed to succeed because one is a PLY, one is a PWF, and the other is a SNP. I'm more concerned that none of last year's issues have been addressed and the introduction of new stuff will suffer the same consequences of being "new" and poorly tested.
  • Also...Is "Hold Line" an actual preference of defensemen this iteration? Coaches want to employ that strategy but no players or prospects actually had it. I could care less about new features if old features haven't been addressed. EA is notorious for introducing new bugs without resolving old ones.
  • I'm not one to really complain but they should've added a free agent frenzy as well. Combined between the trade deadline mini game and a free agent frenzy it would have made things very interesting.

Most of these features are fine though I'm not thrilled with goalie trade value being decreased again since I feel like they were already pretty low.
  • I posted this on another topic earlier but I’ll throw it up here too.
    I’m sure I’ll have a lot to say on Thursday when I hit the game though, plus I always have a list of suggestions in my back pocket.

I wasn’t expecting much due to the major work done to BAP but it looks good.
    The trade deadline looks like a big win along with record books.
    In my opinion the huge win is being able to select the quality of the draft class/prospects as that is something I was really pushing for to be adjustable.
  • Aside from the coaches asking price being totally way off, when it comes to scouting there needs to be a select all function. Its pain steaking to pick the top 25 players whose potential, skills, etc etc in every region to scout. Its serious burnout and almost makes me not even care to do anything other than just let the computer auto it.
  • Lots of good things I’ve wanted for a while—thank you. A couple questions:

1) Is the schedule fixed for franchises with 32 teams?
    2) Can we change team uniforms in the offseason for non-created teams?
    3) Do the goalie’s pads still switch to random colour zones in year 2 of each franchise?
    4) Have more vintage logos been added to the create team section? (Not necessarily franchise related, I guess, but I’m really want the Mighty Ducks back)
    5) Are there mid season all-star roster reveals?
  • kyl_35 wrote: »
    Lots of good things I’ve wanted for a while—thank you. A couple questions:

1) Is the schedule fixed for franchises with 32 teams?
    2) Can we change team uniforms in the offseason for non-created teams?
    3) Do the goalie’s pads still switch to random colour zones in year 2 of each franchise?
    4) Have more vintage logos been added to the create team section? (Not necessarily franchise related, I guess, but I’m really want the Mighty Ducks back)
    5) Are there mid season all-star roster reveals?

this is what i’m freakin talking about!
  • Doubt that the be a pro cut scenes for the draft and season awards will show up in franchise, but they should. There needs to be better presentation in franchise, especially for those two postseason events.
  • Players in the draft still have wildly accurate draft positions. 12th ranked will go 11-13, 45th ranked will go 43-47, 192nd will go 188-196.

No scouting improvements?

No line chemistry improvements?

No quality of life improvements when it comes to healthy rosters?

No talk about how trade blocks are still being controlled by computer, no improvement on cap management, no better trade system, etc.

Free agents still ridiculously easy to acquire, drafting is still way too consistent, no immersion ideas like the odd winter classic, being able to play all star game and competitions, etc.

Lots of stuff missing that should be adds.

Fancy new one day feature (which doesn't add much value) and I'll tip my hat to finally adding more stats and records.

Overall super underwhelming. Nothing that will really make you feel that they put in a lot of work into this mode or make you feel like you're playing a different game.

I would have purchased day one had there been a refined effort to continue on from last year but this will be the very first game since 07 that I will not purchase quickly. All of this stuff should have been in 20 (and more).
  • Underwhelming is a good way to put it. Although I don't play the mode, Be A Pro got some much needed attention this year and with limited resources it is what it is.

I really do like the addition of the trade deadline this year. Having all the stats in one place, a timer, trades as they happen and being able to easily see who is and isn't on the block is great. It looks great as well with everyones profile picture there and you can quickly find a player you are looking for.
    - Although I think when we get deep into the years and everyone has a grey silhouette it won't look as good.

If you are a buyer, it's nice that you can quickly go down the list of available players and find someone who matches your needs and what you are willing to give up, if one player is too expensive you can keep scrolling down.
    If you are a seller it seems you have to pick the right time to trade your players.

I would have thought choosing what your team is before the deadline would have factored in how many offers you get during the day and not just auto generate my trade block for me and put players on or take players off that I don't want to be there, so it that instance I don't really see the point of that.
    They should have also included a way to sort players by position, type and/or role to easily find a player of a certain want or need.
    I would have also liked for them to include what state each team is at and what their priorities are. Example:
    Buyer - looking for a top 2 OFD
    Conservative Buyer - looking for a 3rd line scorer with term
    Seller - looking for 1st rd picks or top fwd prospect
    Conservative Seller - looking for additional cap space
    And don't just have them there during deadline day, always have them displayed on the trade block and keep up to date.

Much like scouting and coaches, this is a step in the right direction, I just think with some fine tuning of all these additions and some other changes/additions the mode can be really good.
  • BUG in franchise mode.

Defensemen prefered strategies are wrong when you look at "Edit Lines", it's looks like Forwards.
    But if you look in menus " view contracts" or " team moves" , no problems , the defensemen prefered strategies are ok .
    Check out those pictures

g57thr2lseng.jpg
    8dog7xp79ogo.jpg

• I don't know if this is the right place for a suggestion like this but one thing that I think would open up a lot of options for Franchise mode and tackle the roster sharing idea being thrown around a lot would be a web app for roster editing through the EA NHL website. It might not even be compatible with consoles, but if you could edit rosters/players online and then share download links for others or even just to download to your console that might be a very strong way of doing it.

I spend hours and hours updating rosters and moving players, it can be clunky using the console UI with sliders and what not, there must be a way to share a more developer-like UI for editing rosters/players that can integrate to download on the backend.
  • Franchise has some issues but I didn't notice anything mode breaking. Yet. Though I'm disappointed that the trade deadline bottom line is only there at the trade deadline. It would have been nice to have that be a permanent fixture on the bottom of the screen. That way any trades that break during the season can be seen on the bottom ticker and not a pop up.
  • Franchise has some issues but I didn't notice anything mode breaking. Yet. Though I'm disappointed that the trade deadline bottom line is only there at the trade deadline. It would have been nice to have that be a permanent fixture on the bottom of the screen. That way any trades that break during the season can be seen on the bottom ticker and not a pop up.

@BruinsHockey08 is scouting/chemistry any better? I never really had a problem with scouting but chemistry and coach chemistry was kind of odd

@BruinsHockey08 is scouting/chemistry any better? I never really had a problem with scouting but chemistry and coach chemistry was kind of odd

Chemistry seems the same, I'm still not sure what the perfect formula is even though it seems that my teams should have at least +5 lines with as good as my teams get.

Chemistry seems the same, I'm still not sure what the perfect formula is even though it seems that my teams should have at least +5 lines with as good as my teams get.

I doubt there was much time put into this consider the other changes. Just curious. I never really viewed them as game breaking or anything. Coach chemistry and scheme fit is definitely odd. It would be nice if you could edit coaches and stuff for a more refined experience.

Thanks for the input though

I doubt there was much time put into this consider the other changes. Just curious. I never really viewed them as game breaking or anything. Coach chemistry and scheme fit is definitely odd. It would be nice if you could edit coaches and stuff for a more refined experience.

It's weird how they implemented this, it could be so much better. Not that it's bad but it's not great either. And I appreciate anything new that Franchise gets but it's not always implemented like you'd expect.
  • Stovetop9620
    455 posts Member
    edited October 16
    Franchise has some issues but I didn't notice anything mode breaking. Yet. Though I'm disappointed that the trade deadline bottom line is only there at the trade deadline. It would have been nice to have that be a permanent fixture on the bottom of the screen. That way any trades that break during the season can be seen on the bottom ticker and not a pop up.

It's weird how they implemented this, it could be so much better. Not that it's bad but it's not great either. And I appreciate anything new that Franchise gets but it's not always implemented like you'd expect.

I think I have figured it out. They are slowly building foundations for things via Ben and, eventually, will start refining them piece by piece (i.e. BAP this year, shooting last year, skating in 18-19, etc.). This may disturb some because of the timeframe but, hopefully, franchise gets a review for 22.

I mean, if you think about it, 15 was really bad. Not coincidently Ben was not on gameplay that year. He probably had his hands full fixing the errors of that game. Couple in the size of the team, it's their 4th market, I would imagine he has to take smaller steps. Seems like its trending the right way though.