EA Forums - Banner

I love it.

Replies

• Oslik1000 wrote: »
    I still haven't found what I should like on nhl21? the game is well controlled, ok. players have more skating animations, probably. the game does not know fouls and is played without exclusions. AI can't stop passing to my defender. The AI ​​cannot prevent the meme from moving from left to right in front of the goalkeeper. AI can't prevent the right from the goal line in front of the goalkeeper. AI can't capture a one-timer pass. AI can't pass to the defenders in the offensive zone and shoot. So what should I love about this game?

"Arcade goodies are mashed together with NHL 21's legacy issues that span an entire console generation..."
    IGNreview

I'm not going to try to convince anyone to like a game that's up to the individual. I like it because on full sim, superstar mode the game is insanely challenging. If you're playing online or on a lower difficulty you may not be experiencing the same type of fun.

I am more so enjoying having my CPU teammates having a brain and knowing where to be for the most part. There's still things that need to be ironed out (hopefully with sliders) but this is some of the most fun I'm having with any NHL game in a long time.

Plus I would also say that I'm enjoying actually being able to play defense, which is something that was a challenge in years past (and seemingly online this year). But being able to use the tools that I have at my disposal this year is a nice feeling and hitting is semi effective this year.

Like I said, I cannot force anyone to see things my way nor will I try. I can only comment on what I'm seeing.
  • Just my opinion, but I think the angst towards the current state of pass interceptions is based on players still being forced to break the old habit of being a passive defender.

NHL 20 and previous, you could get away with just being in the passing lane. And although it's not wrong to assume being in the passing lane and facing the puck should be enough - NHL 21 is putting a lot of focus on active defending.

It opens the play up more knowing that you can't just passively 'be in the lane' without doing something else; using dss to put discourage and/or force the pass to be made at a worse angle than anticipated; using body positioning to take away a one-timer, etc.

My one issue with the current state of passing is the ability for players of lower skill levels able to force a pass across the slot and scoring. It seems like players can just keep working to force that pass and sometimes they get it. It can be so infuriating to dominate someone just to have them take advantage of one defensive lapse, pull the same-old-same-old forced pass across a bunch of passing lanes to an open, streaking forward who gets behind the A.I. D and puts it home.

I'd like to see the A.I. do more in front of the net to disrupt the shot in those situations.

So rather than tune up the ability to passively intercept passes more often, tune the A.I. to be more aggressive to those open players on either side of the slot.

Yes, people are going to need to get used to playing aggressive defense. You can't just be in the lane, you have to attack the passer or really cover the guy waiting... But when you do it right, it works surprisingly well. I find I'm actually cutting off the majority of the passes that I should if I'm closer to the receiver and facing the play.

Maybe low expectations have helped, but I was very negative about this game after the test, and now I'm enjoying it finally as much as old gen.

The one timers are garbage though
  • Oslik1000
    465 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Okey, let's get it over with, I know it's never a popular opinion (god forbid) to say anything good about the game, so im gonna try to keep it short.

If you going to play this game like 20 you gonna be in alot of trouble. You do have to be alot more easy on the gas, (mark my word: just a tip) and push when you get the chance. If you forececk all the time, people gonna have alot of fun with you.

I played 4 games, not one singel cross crease was put behind my goalie, I did a couple thou, when my opponent's was way of in the defensive play.

Thats my next point, why people think defense have been nerfed can only mean you didn't play your own defense, if you let your AI play defense, that too, gonna mean trouble for you.

I could actually play hockey, move around the puck, and if no one bealive me when I say I played real hockey and it work, im happy to show you in a game.

When people startin to adapt to this years game, it's gonna be 70% more close to hockey then 20 was.

Easy with patch the game now, let this sink in for a while, then make a move.

Good work Dev team, it felt better then the test too! 👍

There you have it!

Yea, the game is great, tbh.

People complaining about being burned by their opponents' speed are simply not playing proper defense. I'll get yelled at by the hockey IQ people but playing defense in this game is far more realistic than it was in '20.

Yes, it can be frustrating to get overtaken by a forward that seemingly has ungodly speed - but the reality is that skilled players know how to generate enough unimpeded movements from the breakout, through the neutral zone to gather speed and momentum.

NOT recognizing this build-up of speed from the other team's breakout will result in you being burned.

So, thankfully, defense has not only become more about 'gap control' and 'spacing' and all the things the hockey IQ gods preach about - it's also about something the hockey IQ gods always fail to mention while writing their thesis on their personal views of how to play; you now have to READ the play developing in front of you while simultaneously keeping gap control plus being precise with your Defensive Skill Stick
    - which EA has nailed this year.... please don't cave to the kids who cry about it being "OP"
    I’ve noticed that the more “zone” defense you play, the easier to force the pass which is good to see because it makes the weakside defender truly have to make a decision if his strong-side partner gets beat..

Exactly. In 20 I had to put much more pressure on the puck carrier, more or less from he's zone to my zone, but now I always back home in peace and let my AI interfere with him, and they do it pretty good too, they gonna spare me alot of sweat this year.

Sometimes I forget and fall back in old 20 habits, but if im really concentrated and focus to just shut he's passing lanes off, and keep calm, it's really fun, especially if the opponent do the same and not just run, it gets more a war of opposing positions, were we trade chances.

online versus is probably better if I read it here .... but how much is it probably from EA to fix offline so that it can be played ??? cpu logic doesn't make any sense now (tuner 1.01 tuner 1.00) and why did the defender's defense in the offensive zone disappear? yes in online versus it is possible to watch it but if it was at the cost of offline mods they are useless so I do not agree with it.

"Arcade goodies are mashed together with NHL 21's legacy issues that span an entire console generation..."
    IGNreview
  • Just my opinion, but I think the angst towards the current state of pass interceptions is based on players still being forced to break the old habit of being a passive defender.

NHL 20 and previous, you could get away with just being in the passing lane. And although it's not wrong to assume being in the passing lane and facing the puck should be enough - NHL 21 is putting a lot of focus on active defending.

It opens the play up more knowing that you can't just passively 'be in the lane' without doing something else; using dss to put discourage and/or force the pass to be made at a worse angle than anticipated; using body positioning to take away a one-timer, etc.

My one issue with the current state of passing is the ability for players of lower skill levels able to force a pass across the slot and scoring. It seems like players can just keep working to force that pass and sometimes they get it. It can be so infuriating to dominate someone just to have them take advantage of one defensive lapse, pull the same-old-same-old forced pass across a bunch of passing lanes to an open, streaking forward who gets behind the A.I. D and puts it home.

I'd like to see the A.I. do more in front of the net to disrupt the shot in those situations.

So rather than tune up the ability to passively intercept passes more often, tune the A.I. to be more aggressive to those open players on either side of the slot.

Yes, people are going to need to get used to playing aggressive defense. You can't just be in the lane, you have to attack the passer or really cover the guy waiting... But when you do it right, it works surprisingly well. I find I'm actually cutting off the majority of the passes that I should if I'm closer to the receiver and facing the play.

Maybe low expectations have helped, but I was very negative about this game after the test, and now I'm enjoying it finally as much as old gen.

The one timers are garbage though

Exactly, defense often starts right after you loose the puck.

I started to play really simpel, if I enter the zone with abit of pressure, I put the puck to net, dependent how the goalie react, I either go for the rebound or turn back home.

If the opponent get the puck and start to hustle he's way against your 2 AI defenders, let them take care about him, focus on getting your forward back home, and don't skate against the puck carrier, he will probebly only move down to one of the corner, get back(preferable with your C), but aim for the 'Cross crease area' and start to slow down when your back in your own zone, try to sync the speed, and then start to defend.

This works really good against people that still play alot like how they did in 20.

I like the 1timers, in 20 it often had to do with the speed, you could burst down to the corner with a winger then put the puck back to one of the defenders and a D to D 1timer were your goalie didn't even had the time to react. The shoting feels much more realistic to the speed/timing, feels heavier in some way, more power behind.
  • TIL that this is a thread full of people that all agree that defensive players should be aggressive. Why should they just play smart hockey? If they're hanging back and taking lanes away, I should be able to pass through them all day. No longer are forwards hindered by the crutch of good positional defensive hockey. Oops, excuse me, "passive" defense. Why should those low skill-gapped D-men be rewarded for anticipating a pass between the carrier of a puck and the receiver, when he's most likely standing there waiting for an over-powered one-timer that that goalie with broken hips can't move fast enough laterally to stop (20 had better goalies; both AI and human). Seriously, why should highly-skilled forwards just be content with the D-men stifling the offensive zone there when they should be attacked aggressively so they can hope to use all 23 Dekes in-game offensive in one rush down the ice:

Lacrosse Deke
    Board Bank/Behind the Net/Flip Self Pass
    Slip Deke
    Fake Deke
    Backhand Drap Flip Deke
    Backhand Forehand Sweep Deke
    Backhand Push Deke
    Forehand Chip Deke
    Behind the Back Tap Back Deke
    Front Tap Back Deke
    Between the Legs Deke
    Between the Legs Shot
    Between the Legs Skate Kick Deke
    Front Skate Kick Deke
    Side Skate Kick Deke
    Jump Deke
    One Hand Deke
    Backhand/Forehand One Hand Tuck Deke
    One Touch Deke
    Forehand/Backhand Spin Move Deke
    Stride Deke
    Forehand/Backhand Toe Drag
    Forehand/Backhand Windmill Deke

I mean, those D-men scrubs have at least... 3 tools for defense. That's all they need. Every year they figure out how to stop offensive players, so I'm glad EA is always thinking about nerfing something in the game to allow more offense and create a bigger skill gap for those pesky D-men-guys. It was so easy in 20. Not this year.

This year is our year...... Lol. Hilarity.
  • Oslik1000 wrote: »
    I still haven't found what I should like on nhl21? the game is well controlled, ok. players have more skating animations, probably. the game does not know fouls and is played without exclusions. AI can't stop passing to my defender. The AI ​​cannot prevent the meme from moving from left to right in front of the goalkeeper. AI can't prevent the right from the goal line in front of the goalkeeper. AI can't capture a one-timer pass. AI can't pass to the defenders in the offensive zone and shoot. So what should I love about this game?

IGNreview

I'm not going to try to convince anyone to like a game that's up to the individual. I like it because on full sim, superstar mode the game is insanely challenging. If you're playing online or on a lower difficulty you may not be experiencing the same type of fun.

I am more so enjoying having my CPU teammates having a brain and knowing where to be for the most part. There's still things that need to be ironed out (hopefully with sliders) but this is some of the most fun I'm having with any NHL game in a long time.

Plus I would also say that I'm enjoying actually being able to play defense, which is something that was a challenge in years past (and seemingly online this year). But being able to use the tools that I have at my disposal this year is a nice feeling and hitting is semi effective this year.

Like I said, I cannot force anyone to see things my way nor will I try. I can only comment on what I'm seeing.

I’ve actually been focusing my efforts on making a challenging slider set on Pro difficulty. As a goalie, the goalies on Pro are so much more dynamic. You can beat them in first shots, first shots on breakaways, screens, tips, rebounds due to a screen, five-hole if you catch them moving, catching and shooting against the brain after a huge lateral push, it’s actually really fun to watch!

While I like the pressure Superstar provides on the ice, the goalies just aren’t beat by good hockey plays enough, nor are they beat by first shots from high danger areas enough. The game gets a little boring for me having to score the same few ways at that level, so I’m really trying to make getting good shots off a rarity at Pro because there’s a lot of “weird” goals that go in on Pro that looks and feel realistic/aren’t just the same vanilla stuff we’re used to.

To each their own, glad you’re liking offline! I personally am having so much fun nailing down my sliders that I’ve been neglecting creating my teams! The offensive zone can be a tad boring at times, but man is the neutral zone fun! Also have liked how much easier it is to hold the zone and have a really good shift full of shots and pressure to the point where the AI team can barely skate cause they’re so tired!
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    TIL that this is a thread full of people that all agree that defensive players should be aggressive. Why should they just play smart hockey? If they're hanging back and taking lanes away, I should be able to pass through them all day. No longer are forwards hindered by the crutch of good positional defensive hockey. Oops, excuse me, "passive" defense. Why should those low skill-gapped D-men be rewarded for anticipating a pass between the carrier of a puck and the receiver, when he's most likely standing there waiting for an over-powered one-timer that that goalie with broken hips can't move fast enough laterally to stop (20 had better goalies; both AI and human). Seriously, why should highly-skilled forwards just be content with the D-men stifling the offensive zone there when they should be attacked aggressively so they can hope to use all 23 Dekes in-game offensive in one rush down the ice:

Lacrosse Deke
    Slip Deke
    Fake Deke
    Backhand Drap Flip Deke
    Backhand Push Deke
    Forehand Chip Deke
    Front Tap Back Deke
    Between the Legs Deke
    Between the Legs Shot
    Front Skate Kick Deke
    Side Skate Kick Deke
    Jump Deke
    One Hand Deke
    One Touch Deke
    Stride Deke

I mean, those D-men scrubs have at least... 3 tools for defense. That's all they need. Every year they figure out how to stop offensive players, so I'm glad EA is always thinking about nerfing something in the game to allow more offense and create a bigger skill gap for those pesky D-men-guys. It was so easy in 20. Not this year.

I do get where you’re coming from. I’m a full-time defenseman myself. I’m not saying there can’t be improvements to interceptions, but as I stated in another thread, I don’t mind that they’re forcing us to play tighter gaps to the would-be shooter. When we can see the entire play, we should have to be forced to make some decisions as it’s been too easy to play both in the past.

I also think there should be offensive nerds as well like puck carrier agility, pass speed, game speed in general, backhanded pass speeds, behind the back pass speeds/accuracy to name a few, but I don’t think it changes my belief that defenseman should be required to make decisions that you would IRL.

I get that it’s frustrating, I’ve had a few tough ones go through me so far myself, but I’d like to see more consistent pass interceptions when holding LT (that’s a huge reason why I miss an interception - trying to make a small adjustment at the exact time the past comes) while still forcing the defensemen to play very close to the attacker to actually intercept the puck.

6s was clogged and boring. It was awful to watch. Changes like these (and I’m not saying there can’t be improvements) will open the game more and create a better skill gap for defenders. Especially when DSS is actually usable again like in 21. Thank goodness. That change alone has made defense actually fun again. That and the LT nerf. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • I hadn't started to look what thoose 'bank of the board/backside of the net' moves could do, but man oh man, best "dekes" in the game.

Fantastic way to change direaction of the play, by doing it on your own net, and to keep the speed momentum up in your favor.

Best tool against thoose that rush on you.
  • I do get where you’re coming from. I’m a full-time defenseman myself. I’m not saying there can’t be improvements to interceptions, but as I stated in another thread, I don’t mind that they’re forcing us to play tighter gaps to the would-be shooter. When we can see the entire play, we should have to be forced to make some decisions as it’s been too easy to play both in the past.

I also think there should be offensive nerds as well like puck carrier agility, pass speed, game speed in general, backhanded pass speeds, behind the back pass speeds/accuracy to name a few, but I don’t think it changes my belief that defenseman should be required to make decisions that you would IRL.

I get that it’s frustrating, I’ve had a few tough ones go through me so far myself, but I’d like to see more consistent pass interceptions when holding LT (that’s a huge reason why I miss an interception - trying to make a small adjustment at the exact time the past comes) while still forcing the defensemen to play very close to the attacker to actually intercept the puck.

6s was clogged and boring. It was awful to watch. Changes like these (and I’m not saying there can’t be improvements) will open the game more and create a better skill gap for defenders. Especially when DSS is actually usable again like in 21. Thank goodness. That change alone has made defense actually fun again. That and the LT nerf. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

It would be literally impossible for me to agree with you more. Well said.
  • I do get where you’re coming from. I’m a full-time defenseman myself. I’m not saying there can’t be improvements to interceptions, but as I stated in another thread, I don’t mind that they’re forcing us to play tighter gaps to the would-be shooter. When we can see the entire play, we should have to be forced to make some decisions as it’s been too easy to play both in the past.

It’s actually fun seeing you and me agree on the meta for once. Cheers buddy lol!

It’s actually fun seeing you and me agree on the meta for once. Cheers buddy lol!

EA has done the impossible!
  • *hehe*..

Bf1 can put things down, good boyh! ✌️
  • KidShowtime1867
    1672 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    I hadn't started to look what thoose 'bank of the board/backside of the net' moves could do, but man oh man, best "dekes" in the game.

Fantastic way to change direaction of the play, by doing it on your own net, and to keep the speed momentum up in your favor.

Feels soooo good to burn people with them

I also really enjoy the player models turning their heads in realistic ways - having a look before obtaining the puck. It's the subtle things that can add up.

7R4DzX3.gif

dhWjzPK.png

XXU8IBO.gif

ZtR7fsx.png

• Sega82mega wrote: »
    I hadn't started to look what thoose 'bank of the board/backside of the net' moves could do, but man oh man, best "dekes" in the game.

Feels soooo good to burn people with them

I also really enjoy the player models turning their heads in realistic ways - having a look before obtaining the puck. It's the subtle things that can add up.

7R4DzX3.gif

dhWjzPK.png

XXU8IBO.gif

ZtR7fsx.png

Oh yes, I have been waiting for something like this to use against 110% offens.

Its a nice move to remind everyone that defense might be good to know.

agreed

passive defense was a little over powered. Entire team clogging up the center was a mess but even worse it allowed a couple of defenders to effectively defend the entire slot. 2 on 1? pretty effective defense. Now with the new improved DSS/Poke check it would be really bad. I could just sit in the middle as a long defense center and intercept/deflect any puck going anywhere near my goalie. So I think as BF1 said this will help open up the defensive play a bit while still giving tools to defend.

Some people talk about skill gap, I like to talk more about team work. I care if the mechanics encourage team work more than skill gap. Its more reliant on all 5 skaters playing good defense than it was before. If they know what they are doing I think its just as effective if not more. I've had some games against bad opponents where they basically never leave their end of the ice and eventually all quit.

I mostly play solo dropins these days and I really see it. With all the changes there is much less a solo player can do alone, especially defensively. No matter how smart I try and play defensively if I have two idiots back at defense we are losing, plain and simple. Usually would have just played more defensively from center and have a 50/50 shot depending on how good the opposing team was.

Now if I'm back on a 2 on 1 there is very little I can do except hope I have a good human goalie that can stop the shooter. AI goalie there is basically nothing I can do except recognize not everyone can score easily 1 on 1 with AI goalie. Take away easy 1 timer and hope for the best.

They may have not given defense any more tools but they made the active tools stronger and passive tools weaker, rewarding more active defensive play. I think there's still plenty of work to do, especially on rocket passes that seem to get through most the time, but i'm ok with where its going. If nothing else, after 1000s of EASHL games that all played the same way, things have changed a bit.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    TIL that this is a thread full of people that all agree that defensive players should be aggressive. Why should they just play smart hockey? If they're hanging back and taking lanes away, I should be able to pass through them all day. No longer are forwards hindered by the crutch of good positional defensive hockey. Oops, excuse me, "passive" defense. Why should those low skill-gapped D-men be rewarded for anticipating a pass between the carrier of a puck and the receiver, when he's most likely standing there waiting for an over-powered one-timer that that goalie with broken hips can't move fast enough laterally to stop (20 had better goalies; both AI and human). Seriously, why should highly-skilled forwards just be content with the D-men stifling the offensive zone there when they should be attacked aggressively so they can hope to use all 23 Dekes in-game offensive in one rush down the ice:

Lacrosse Deke
    Slip Deke
    Fake Deke
    Backhand Drap Flip Deke
    Backhand Push Deke
    Forehand Chip Deke
    Front Tap Back Deke
    Between the Legs Deke
    Between the Legs Shot
    Front Skate Kick Deke
    Side Skate Kick Deke
    Jump Deke
    One Hand Deke
    One Touch Deke
    Stride Deke

I felt the same way before I played the full release, because the skating didn't feel better so it felt like we were losing tools. But the skating is much more responsive now so you don't -have- to play the passive D style that we did last year. I find I'm able to actually keep a tight gap and it's actually much more rewarding to play this way. Add in having an actual poke check and it feels much better even with the nerf to interceptions. And the interception nerf isn't even that bad honestly when you're in good position (on your guy, not half way between the attackers). It sucks when you're the only guy back, but it should.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1672 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    And the interception nerf isn't even that bad honestly when you're in good position (on your guy, not half way between the attackers). It sucks when you're the only guy back, but it should.

Exactly!!
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    I changed my strategy to the most defensive I could today and tryed only to play on the opponent's mistake, it was kinda fun.

Tryed to take advantage of every player he pulled out of position and search for a pass at that area.

I think you can develope a pretty tight defense and be really successful this year.

One thing thats pretty hard is to get your opponent to totaly stop, say if he skate 's along the board and I close that gap just with my body, it often takes stop, but he just continue to push forward, and most times he manage to get through with body and puck.

Its not that often both teams are on the exact same wavelength, were you have to be closest to the puck carrier all the time. It's easier to happen in OT, when there's only 3 vs 3. I love thoose moment.

All tough it's so much better now its still kinda amazing how many people can survive by the look of how incautious many people are with staying in right position with the right player. I bealive If it wasen't for the A.I, alot of team would get destroyed by doing that.
  • untouchable_BF1
    1218 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    I changed my strategy to the most defensive I could today and tryed only to play on the opponent's mistake, it was kinda fun.

Tryed to take advantage of every player he pulled out of position and search for a pass at that area.

I think you can develope a pretty tight defense and be really successful this year.

One thing thats pretty hard is to get your opponent to totaly stop, say if he skate 's along the board and I close that gap just with my body, it often takes stop, but he just continue to push forward, and most times he manage to get through with body and puck.

Its not that often both teams are on the exact same wavelength, were you have to be closest to the puck carrier all the time. It's easier to happen in OT, when there's only 3 vs 3. I love thoose moment.

All tough it's so much better now its still kinda amazing how many people can survive by the look of how incautious many people are with staying in right position with the right player. I bealive If it wasen't for the A.I, alot of team would get destroyed by doing that.

The rubout hits along the walls are a lot worse this year. That’s one of the biggest downgrades I’ve seen from 20 to 21. Fortunately, all of the upgrades have made that fact a lot less noticeable as my stick isn’t a lightsaber and the AI offline are actually fun to play against.

This series had grown really stale for me. Was losing hope. 21 was a great step in the right direction and actually has me excited for 22 on the next-gen.

The rubout hits along the walls are a lot worse this year. That’s one of the biggest downgrades I’ve seen from 20 to 21. Fortunately, all of the upgrades have made that fact a lot less noticeable as my stick isn’t a lightsaber and the AI offline are actually fun to play against.

This series had grown really stale for me. Was losing hope. 21 was a great step in the right direction and actually has me excited for 22 on the next-gen.

Yeah I wish that could be more clean, but I guess it has to do with speed/weight/angels and so on..

Yeah I told you this one could be a winner hehe.. I hope they working on a patch that really would blow my mind.. It's not 100 but not that far away.

And yes, this mixed with next gen.. Ciao bella 😄

Yeah I wish that could be more clean, but I guess it has to do with speed/weight/angels and so on..

Yeah I told you this one could be a winner hehe.. I hope they working on a patch that really would blow my mind.. It's not 100 but not that far away.

And yes, this mixed with next gen.. Ciao bella 😄

You were right my friend! Your optimism is looking great in hindsight!