EA Forums - Banner

3 games into the trial thoughts

Prev1
1. I played an offline vs game against the cpu on superstar, 5 minute periods, NHL rules.

It wasn't bad. Enjoyed it, actually. Seemed some of my early fears were not realized. Defensive gap was decent, there was a tad more space, poke checking and stickwork was manageable. Offline this game, at least for now, seems like it will be an improvement.

2. Played a drop in 6's game.

This was harder to stomach. Tap, tap, tap, do not pass, cut across the middle, shoot, quit if the other team scores first. Can't blame EA though...that is people. The only way for them to curb this toxicity would be to have 2 separate leagues. Arcade and Sim. They basically have that though so I think online will, again, be tough for some of us to enjoy.

3. Played a club game with my brother, 6's.

I maintain the opinion that the game is too fast online making it harder to defend with precision. There were also times were forwards would get the puck back too quickly after being properly dispossessed.

Cumulative thoughts so far:

I did not see the nerf to back-skate/pivoting be a horrible thing. It was better than the closed Beta.

The loose puck stuff still favors forwards. Sticks going through skates make it so hard for a defender to get the puck back. You can do your job and still lose.

Human goaltending was not at all terrible.

Game is too fast.

Please program in basic cycling. If that isn't an option, give me create a play.

Other than that, so far, my opinion is not bad of 21. I will finish out the trial and add to this in the next few days.

Cheers and happy playing.

Replies

• Good review! Game is way too fast by default. The main reason I continue to advocate for a slower game, is because DSS, the new dekes, the new goalie animations, all of these would SHINE at a slower speed when they can effectively be used! What has the super fast era given us? LT spins, holding out RS for literally everything, and the addition of, then quick extreme nerf to, the DSS mechanic. The game is way to fast for DSS to shine. It’s way too fast to build a human goalie system that’s centered around challenging when necessary and reading the play correctly. Slow the game down and all of these things will be used more and in the case of human goalies being realistic and having a huge skill gap, will be much more feasible.

I challenge anyone to go play a default game of last-gen NHL and feel the speed difference. It was still a highly skilled game back then despite being at about a game speed 1/6 by current gen standards.
  • Good review! Game is way too fast by default. The main reason I continue to advocate for a slower game, is because DSS, the new dekes, the new goalie animations, all of these would SHINE at a slower speed when they can effectively be used! What has the super fast era given us? LT spins, holding out RS for literally everything, and the addition of, then quick extreme nerf to, the DSS mechanic. The game is way to fast for DSS to shine. It’s way too fast to build a human goalie system that’s centered around challenging when necessary and reading the play correctly. Slow the game down and all of these things will be used more and in the case of human goalies being realistic and having a huge skill gap, will be much more feasible.

I challenge anyone to go play a default game of last-gen NHL and feel the speed difference. It was still a highly skilled game back then despite being at about a game speed 1/6 by current gen standards.

This is a good point. If the game was slower, you would be able to experience the intricacies a bit more.

Plus, it needs to be eradicated holding the stick out on the back hand throwing a 85 mph pass WITHOUT TURNING YOUR BODY OR MAKING SOME KIND OF ANIMATION. Keep skill stick, of course, but limit it's extents on what you can do easily. Should be pretty hard doing things with your stick extremely extended around your body.
  • To add:

Currently, given a limited experience with 21 so far, this game is close to being really good. Some tweaks here and there.
  • Another addition:

Having your player turn to the middle, by default, is not easy to deal with. That is not always the best play and should be based on position rather than assuming I want to face the middle.

I have a few videos to upload in the next few days.
  • Another addition:

Having your player turn to the middle, by default, is not easy to deal with. That is not always the best play and should be based on position rather than assuming I want to face the middle.

expand on this point so everyone knows what you are talking about
  • Yeah good review bud!

I would not mind if the tempo was turnd down a notch too. It gets a little freaky occasionally.

But I love you don't have to front the puck carrier right away, take position from a good angel is so diffrent from 20 and bring a whole new taste to the game!
  • Sega82mega
    3251 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    To add:

Currently, given a limited experience with 21 so far, this game is close to being really good. Some tweaks here and there.

Yeah im excited for the future of this game. I dont really know yet what the biggest problem is but if they somehow manage to get everything thats working just fine with the game to be even more accurate, then it's a real winner.

* let's say it's a really good start, I dont remember any realese being this good right from the start.
  • Another addition:

expand on this point so everyone knows what you are talking about

@jmwalsh8888

So, to expand on this:

Let's say you are receiving the puck on the right wing. You get the puck, take it to the corner and want to use your body to shield while pulling up but facing the wall. The game, via Ben, defaults to forcing you to face the center of the ice. The only way to circumvent this is to forcefully and deliberately try to get your player to face the wall. Sometimes this is easy. Other times it creates an extra step and movement taking away any time or separation you had. I think the concept is to always be in a "scoring position", which I am sure most players prefer. With that said, it would be nice if that was an option you can toggle much like auto back-skate.

In my feeble opinion, having more options to toggle automatic game defaulted movements would be nice for those of us who want more control over movement.

On the bright side, me, one of 20's least fans, has enjoyed the trial so far. The problem being online is ruined by human beings and there is nothing EA can do to curb that.

I guess I can manage this game so long as the game doesn't change with an abrupt patch to appease a few vocal cheerleaders. Again though, it would be nice to be able to make the game more in tune with how I play offline. Create-A-Play, toggle options for auto movements, perhaps a different means of creating a team system.

If the idea is for everyone to be able to play this game and enjoy it, then I consistently ask why us nerdy, sim-style players continue to be neglected? Arcade players get what they want and more, BAP was upgraded, casual fans get stuff to make them happy, why not us outside of a few sliders? I mean, with a shareable community as far as sliders, rosters, players, and plays, EA would not have to do anything and leave that stuff to us. I am sure we would not have difficulty creating a robust file sharing community.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1646 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Let's say you are receiving the puck on the right wing. You get the puck, take it to the corner and want to use your body to shield while pulling up but facing the wall. The game, via Ben, defaults to forcing you to face the center of the ice. The only way to circumvent this is to forcefully and deliberately try to get your player to face the wall. Sometimes this is easy. Other times it creates an extra step and movement taking away any time or separation you had. I think the concept is to always be in a "scoring position", which I am sure most players prefer. With that said, it would be nice if that was an option you can toggle much like auto back-skate.

I think you can easily face the wall with possession of the puck.
    The game, via Ben, defaults to forcing you to face the center of the ice

Can you post a video of what you're talking about? I don't get the feeling that your player is forced to face the center of the ice while in possession of the puck.

• Stovetop9620
    455 posts Member
    edited October 2020

Can you post a video of what you're talking about? I don't get the feeling that your player is forced to face the center of the ice while in possession of the puck.

I have a few videos already regarding this exact concept showing my controller movements, an attempt at turning to the outside, failing as the game defaults to the center, and then an extra movement is created. Ben has admitted this to me personally that the game does, in fact, default to a center facing position. It is what it is just kind of wish I could toggle that option.

I will gladly post these. Perhaps Thursday or Friday depending on my schedule.
  • Let's say you are receiving the puck on the right wing. You get the puck, take it to the corner and want to use your body to shield while pulling up but facing the wall. The game, via Ben, defaults to forcing you to face the center of the ice. The only way to circumvent this is to forcefully and deliberately try to get your player to face the wall. Sometimes this is easy. Other times it creates an extra step and movement taking away any time or separation you had. I think the concept is to always be in a "scoring position", which I am sure most players prefer. With that said, it would be nice if that was an option you can toggle much like auto back-skate.

I have a few videos already regarding this exact concept showing my controller movements, an attempt at turning to the outside, failing as the game defaults to the center, and then an extra movement is created. Ben has admitted this to me personally that the game does, in fact, default to a center facing position. It is what it is just kind of wish I could toggle that option.

That would be awesome. I'm just having a hard time envisioning what it is you mean by 'defaulting to the center'. Not sayin it doesn't happen, just want to have a look at it to see if maybe there's a way to pull off what you want.
  • Let's say you are receiving the puck on the right wing. You get the puck, take it to the corner and want to use your body to shield while pulling up but facing the wall. The game, via Ben, defaults to forcing you to face the center of the ice. The only way to circumvent this is to forcefully and deliberately try to get your player to face the wall. Sometimes this is easy. Other times it creates an extra step and movement taking away any time or separation you had. I think the concept is to always be in a "scoring position", which I am sure most players prefer. With that said, it would be nice if that was an option you can toggle much like auto back-skate.

That would be awesome. I'm just having a hard time envisioning what it is you mean by 'defaulting to the center'. Not sayin it doesn't happen, just want to have a look at it to see if maybe there's a way to pull off what you want.

From what he explained to me the concept is when you go to do a pull up like Gretzky, the game defaults to facing the center of the ice. Think of it like an automatic offensive vision control. Sometimes it really isn't a big deal because I have backed off the defender or something. Other times, when a d-man has a good gap and you do this, your stick collides with him and this mess of possession comes into play. He mentioned to me that the way to get passed this is to hold puck protect for a split-second then make sure your feet are pivoting to the outside and you will accomplish my desire. Which, again, sometimes isn't a big deal. On the other hand, sometimes it is an extra step I wish I didn't have to make because it can ruin a nice set-up.

My explanation may be wonky and hard to understand so I will post these when I get the chance and we can discuss it. It would just be nice if you could toggle more automatic movements to make them manual. Kind of like auto-sauce. I love the saucer pass in NHL and use the dedicated button. Would be nice if you could turn that off.
  • Feels at least better with the body physics (control over the body mass), you can stand up against hits around the boards if you see which direaction the hit(force) is coming from.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Feels at least better with the body physics (control over the body mass), you can stand up against hits around the boards if you see which direaction the hit(force) is coming from.

There is no doubt that has improved. It seems like if you anticipate correctly you can use your body a bit more to protect the puck, which is great.

We will be playing soon brotha. I think this Thursday/Friday my brother and I will be playing some club if you want to get into it with us.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Feels at least better with the body physics (control over the body mass), you can stand up against hits around the boards if you see which direaction the hit(force) is coming from.

There is no doubt that has improved. It seems like if you anticipate correctly you can use your body a bit more to protect the puck, which is great.

We will be playing soon brotha. I think this Thursday/Friday my brother and I will be playing some club if you want to get into it with us.

Might work for me! Keep me updated 😊👍

From what he explained to me the concept is when you go to do a pull up like Gretzky, the game defaults to facing the center of the ice. Think of it like an automatic offensive vision control. Sometimes it really isn't a big deal because I have backed off the defender or something. Other times, when a d-man has a good gap and you do this, your stick collides with him and this mess of possession comes into play. He mentioned to me that the way to get passed this is to hold puck protect for a split-second then make sure your feet are pivoting to the outside and you will accomplish my desire. Which, again, sometimes isn't a big deal. On the other hand, sometimes it is an extra step I wish I didn't have to make because it can ruin a nice set-up.

My explanation may be wonky and hard to understand so I will post these when I get the chance and we can discuss it. It would just be nice if you could toggle more automatic movements to make them manual. Kind of like auto-sauce. I love the saucer pass in NHL and use the dedicated button. Would be nice if you could turn that off.

I think you explained it well and now I think I understand what you're talking about. My trial is up now but once the retail drops, I'm going to have to give this a shot and see what the deal is.

video would be nice. I was hoping you could explain as in exactly what were you trying to do AND exactly what you did with your controller. In limited time in the trial I felt there was many situations where I was "forced" into the defense when everything I was doing with my controller should have faced away from the defense using my body to protect the puck.

L2 has been one of the best additions to the game because it allowed you to skate in a realistic, albeit advanced fashion. The ability to pivot and improved lateral movements are essential to playing realistic top level hockey. Most people don't get this because even if they are hockey fanatics or players its not something they know or can do themselves. But if you are a high level hockey player this is one of the things you spend the most time on these days by about 14 yrs old. They all spend a lot of time learning to mohawk/pivot using body to protect the puck like sidney crosby. Its why all these young players getting drafted have such amazing skating abilities.

Its also been one of the worst features because it can be exploited/abused. So here we sit with yet another well intentioned feature from EA that could be exploited and rather than fix what was exploitable about it they basically broke it.

For anyone that doesn't understand what I'm trying to say... you should not be forced to face the direction you are skating. That is not realistic...thats nhl 94 stuff. L2 made it pretty easy to emulate this style. Unfortunately allowed you to do unrealistic things with insanely fast pivots and puck control. Not to mention the horrible poke system in this game meant you can't really stick check someone doing this. EA needed to fix the actual problem but that didn't happen.

L2 needed a nerf but not only is it over nerfed there's something going on in the offensive zone and I think it may be whatever stovetop is talking about. I've not previously seen a message regarding players being "pushed/forced" to open up towards the goalie/center ice line. But whether it was L2 or just simple things like i steal the puck and try to turn away from the player i stole it from and yet the exact opposite happens and i turn into the players and they knock the puck right back away. I've watched replays and seen the sticks should have safely turned me away from where I actually went.

I only play 6s and felt it was online wonkiness. Since it was a trial no time to play around. As always I'll just adapt but I'm trying to get an understanding of whats changed. Interestingly enough this seemed worse in the trial than the technical test.
  • Stovetop9620
    455 posts Member
    edited October 2020

video would be nice. I was hoping you could explain as in exactly what were you trying to do AND exactly what you did with your controller. In limited time in the trial I felt there was many situations where I was "forced" into the defense when everything I was doing with my controller should have faced away from the defense using my body to protect the puck.

L2 has been one of the best additions to the game because it allowed you to skate in a realistic, albeit advanced fashion. The ability to pivot and improved lateral movements are essential to playing realistic top level hockey. Most people don't get this because even if they are hockey fanatics or players its not something they know or can do themselves. But if you are a high level hockey player this is one of the things you spend the most time on these days by about 14 yrs old. They all spend a lot of time learning to mohawk/pivot using body to protect the puck like sidney crosby. Its why all these young players getting drafted have such amazing skating abilities.

Its also been one of the worst features because it can be exploited/abused. So here we sit with yet another well intentioned feature from EA that could be exploited and rather than fix what was exploitable about it they basically broke it.

For anyone that doesn't understand what I'm trying to say... you should not be forced to face the direction you are skating. That is not realistic...thats nhl 94 stuff. L2 made it pretty easy to emulate this style. Unfortunately allowed you to do unrealistic things with insanely fast pivots and puck control. Not to mention the horrible poke system in this game meant you can't really stick check someone doing this. EA needed to fix the actual problem but that didn't happen.

L2 needed a nerf but not only is it over nerfed there's something going on in the offensive zone and I think it may be whatever stovetop is talking about. I've not previously seen a message regarding players being "pushed/forced" to open up towards the goalie/center ice line. But whether it was L2 or just simple things like i steal the puck and try to turn away from the player i stole it from and yet the exact opposite happens and i turn into the players and they knock the puck right back away. I've watched replays and seen the sticks should have safely turned me away from where I actually went.

I only play 6s and felt it was online wonkiness. Since it was a trial no time to play around. As always I'll just adapt but I'm trying to get an understanding of whats changed. Interestingly enough this seemed worse in the trial than the technical test.

It was said to me, via Ben, that the game defaults you, when stopping/pulling up, to open up to the middle and you have to deliberately make an effort to prevent this.

As far as explanation. I was trying to hit the left wing corner with a left handed shooter and stop facing the wall so I could pull up and start working a cycle while using my body as a shield to protect the puck preventing an sort of possession loss. As you will see, my controller was being told to turn left. Instead, even with the proper input, my player starts to turn right while stopping (opening up to the middle) and I had to re-move to counter this causing an unnecessary movement, therefore, hurting my flow and intention.

I sent Ben a video in which my teammate Brad at the time screamed about this concept in 20. He said "Why am I automatically turning to the middle rather than the boards!?!? NHL thinks I want to score! I don't want to score! I want to protect the puck!" This, in turn, caused him to put the puck into a defenders legs and lose possession. Not at all the intention. Little frustrations like these add up. We can talk about things like negativity and positive, constructive feedback but after a while, these frustrations make you want to hate this game. No person here buys NHL hoping to hate it. We want to play it peacefully.

That is when I received the information about the game defaulting to the "scoring" position. I think stuff like that is dumb. Just because I am a Center does not mean every single time I have the puck I am looking to score by myself. I am a puck moving center who likes to assist my teammates. I don't skate into the defenders, I do not force passes, I can play the perimeter, and I am patient.

This is one of the miscommunications between players and the dev team. Nobody is "wrong" but we can't find consensus. @EA_Aljo had mentioned in another thread about this concept mentioning Ben and others come in and offer technical explanations. The players talk about outcomes.

Dev team talks tech
    Players talk outcomes
    There is no way to find a middle there.

It would be like an astronaut telling us the complexities of launch when, as a layman, all we see/care about is the rocket being propelled into orbit safely.

It has been said by many here, on both sides, that there is contradiction in what people/devs say. This is not true. Speaking in contradiction is usually a denial/deliberate attempt to manipulate. This contradiction is the interpretation of information.

This is where the community suffers. I sincerely hope guys like Aljo now absorb and explain things to us while considering our input more than Ben and the dev team. Aljo is a player as well so he can, perhaps, find the balance to help us convey these things.

Tomorrow or Friday night (depending on my schedule with the fam) I will be posting videos detailing these things. I have 15 or so already so it will not be an issue coming up with material. What I want is a simple conversation about it to help players understand and/or come to some sort of agreement on possible future changes. What I do not want is a technical explanation that does nothing to help facilitate a conversation.

It was said to me, via Ben, that the game defaults you, when stopping/pulling up, to open up to the middle and you have to deliberately make an effort to prevent this.

As far as explanation. I was trying to hit the left wing corner with a left handed shooter and stop facing the wall so I could pull up and start working a cycle while using my body as a shield to protect the puck preventing an sort of possession loss. As you will see, my controller was being told to turn left. Instead, even with the proper input, my player starts to turn right while stopping (opening up to the middle) and I had to re-move to counter this causing an unnecessary movement, therefore, hurting my flow and intention.

I sent Ben a video in which my teammate Brad at the time screamed about this concept in 20. He said "Why am I automatically turning to the middle rather than the boards!?!? NHL thinks I want to score! I don't want to score! I want to protect the puck!" This, in turn, caused him to put the puck into a defenders legs and lose possession. Not at all the intention. Little frustrations like these add up. We can talk about things like negativity and positive, constructive feedback but after a while, these frustrations make you want to hate this game. No person here buys NHL hoping to hate it. We want to play it peacefully.

That is when I received the information about the game defaulting to the "scoring" position. I think stuff like that is dumb. Just because I am a Center does not mean every single time I have the puck I am looking to score by myself. I am a puck moving center who likes to assist my teammates. I don't skate into the defenders, I do not force passes, I can play the perimeter, and I am patient.

This is one of the miscommunications between players and the dev team. Nobody is "wrong" but we can't find consensus. @EA_Aljo had mentioned in another thread about this concept mentioning Ben and others come in and offer technical explanations. The players talk about outcomes.

Dev team talks tech
    Players talk outcomes
    There is no way to find a middle there.

It would be like an astronaut telling us the complexities of launch when, as a layman, all we see/care about is the rocket being propelled into orbit safely.

It has been said by many here, on both sides, that there is contradiction in what people/devs say. This is not true. Speaking in contradiction is usually a denial/deliberate attempt to manipulate. This contradiction is the interpretation of information.

This is where the community suffers. I sincerely hope guys like Aljo now absorb and explain things to us while considering our input more than Ben and the dev team. Aljo is a player as well so he can, perhaps, find the balance to help us convey these things.

Tomorrow or Friday night (depending on my schedule with the fam) I will be posting videos detailing these things. I have 15 or so already so it will not be an issue coming up with material. What I want is a simple conversation about it to help players understand and/or come to some sort of agreement on possible future changes. What I do not want is a technical explanation that does nothing to help facilitate a conversation.

interesting. to be clear i'm seeing problems I've never seen. Trial is over so I can't even confirm it. But I can say there was quite a few situations where I did what i've always done with the controller (something that felt very accurate when considering physics of the situation) to try and put myself into a situation to use my body to protect the puck and instead the opposite happened and my guy just turned right into the defender who knocked the puck away. Some of these were using L2 others just the sticks. But in each situation I was trying to turn away from the center of the ice and seemed to be forced to do the opposite. it had me questioning that my controller was functioning properly. Watched a couple of replays and confirmed i was fine.

returned to nhl 20 last couple of nights and its was like a sigh of relief. "ahh this is what its like when your skater does what he's told"

looking forward to what you put together.

Its much easier said then done, the players always in some motion, like they wanna turn left or right or spin like a half circle. To avoid that you really must 'balance up' your player with the help of your hand-controller.
    So to get in the right position/angel to start cycle really takes some skill to do. Much easier to just turn up and down in half circles like many do..

All tough it's more control in 21 to start up a cycle, best feeling in hockey, when you find that rhythm.