EA Forums - Banner

Don’t change anything. Leave it the way it is now!

I have been hating on EA and the nhl games for the last 5 years but the tuner and gameplay for the online portion right now is close to perfect and i really hope that nothing is changed because i can actually play defense like it’s supposed to and bodies actually stop pucks from going forward when in passing lanes and pokes work like they’re supposed to and i actually knock people over when i hit them. The game feels the smoothest it has in years and i have really hated how it has been in years. Props i hope you guys don’t try to appease everyone and change everything to a point where it doesn’t feel like hockey again. Great job this year so far!

Replies

• People can still puck protect by skating backwards and rag the puck to entice you to disconnect and fire 80 foot tape to tape backhand passes though. Are you good with that?
  • Sega82mega
    3834 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Hehe yeah I feel you rblaze.. It's a thin line between good and not so good.. But what if they could do it even better then this..? Im greedy.. All though I honestly don't know yet what the biggest problem is. I think they should focus on giving the player on the ice the most control we can get, the respons in the mobility. Retain most of the things as it is but strengthen it up abit more!

But just to be sure, they should be ready to undo all the changes and save this current game set to reintroduce any rainy day.
  • People can still puck protect by skating backwards and rag the puck to entice you to disconnect and fire 80 foot tape to tape backhand passes though. Are you good with that?

Agree with you 100% right now d2 is a nightmare with the protect the puck bubble I can only imagine what D1 must be like ...and yes the backhand pass needs to be toned down ,also they need to fix the AI positioning in the defensive zone it's terrible and it's funny they wanted to reduce the skill zoning but now to defend the op cross crease one timer is to skill zone
  • EA_Blueberry
    4657 posts EA Community Manager
    rblaze1988 wrote: »
    I have been hating on EA and the nhl games for the last 5 years but the tuner and gameplay for the online portion right now is close to perfect and i really hope that nothing is changed because i can actually play defense like it’s supposed to and bodies actually stop pucks from going forward when in passing lanes and pokes work like they’re supposed to and i actually knock people over when i hit them. The game feels the smoothest it has in years and i have really hated how it has been in years. Props i hope you guys don’t try to appease everyone and change everything to a point where it doesn’t feel like hockey again. Great job this year so far!

Thank you for the shoutout!

There were minor improvements to stick lifting and poke checks based off feedback from players in NHL 20.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1734 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    People can still puck protect by skating backwards and rag the puck to entice you to disconnect and fire 80 foot tape to tape backhand passes though. Are you good with that?

I am.

I mean.. being able to maintain possession is a skill that takes practice. People see the LTing and puck protecting as some kind of 'glitch' but it really isn't - it takes a player with knowledge of how to utilize body positioning and momentum to be able to 'entice you to disconnect'.

Yes it drives me absolutely insane when someone can play keep away with me and make plays that leave me in knots. It just boils my soul.

But I know that I can defend it with patience. It's when I lose my patience that those players expose me.

Again - infuriating that they can do it but I have the same tools in my toolbelt - I'm just not as good as them at using them... yet...

Also - if they're able to complete 80 foot tape to tape passes..... there's a defending issue there.
  • I’d like to see a huge speed nerf in backhanded passes, also with those “hold it out to your backhand all the way then make a forehand pass behind your back somehow” passes too. I get that it might be hard or severely reduce the enjoyment/ease of playing to remove the later pass from the game, but those gotta be severely nerfed in speed and accuracy. Hitting at slow speed still isn’t great, especially when the boards are involved, but those are really the only three noticeable changes I see needing to be made atm. 21 is actually in a surprisingly good state right now.
  • I’d like to see a huge speed nerf in backhanded passes, also with those “hold it out to your backhand all the way then make a forehand pass behind your back somehow” passes too. I get that it might be hard or severely reduce the enjoyment/ease of playing to remove the later pass from the game, but those gotta be severely nerfed in speed and accuracy. Hitting at slow speed still isn’t great, especially when the boards are involved, but those are really the only three noticeable changes I see needing to be made atm. 21 is actually in a surprisingly good state right now.

Wonderful said. Would be the best way to 'nerf' cross creases, for everyone.

I totally agree with you on the backhand pass and behind the back pass it's so unrealistic and it's very op

I totally agree with you on the backhand pass and behind the back pass it's so unrealistic and it's very op

If you have good passing attributes (I'd say above 88 passing) then I'm okay with those ones being as OP as they are.

If you have good passing attributes (I'd say above 88 passing) then I'm okay with those ones being as OP as they are.

Yeah, I’d be game with that as well as long as the arbitrary passing threshold is truly the difference between a good and elite passer. Only the elite passers should be able to do those which means either you’re using a trait and making a non-playmaker class worse at something for the passes, or you’re using a playmaker.

We need a lot more differentiation in the classes to truly make the classes feel like hard decisions. The PMD and the OFD should have absolutely zero room for error when it comes to successful auto interceptions, but they do get passing/shooting buffs compared to their defensive counterparts.

Once we start incorporating more of those “under the hood” nerfs and buffs to the classes, I think we’ll really start seeing a meta more aligned with siege/LoL/Overwatch/etc which I can only assume was the initial vision of the class-based system.
  • rblaze1988 wrote: »

Thank you for the shoutout!

There were minor improvements to stick lifting and poke checks based off feedback from players in NHL 20.

I feel like since the last update this game
    Is slowly reverting to the ugly habits and gameplay of nhl 20 and I’m beginning to get disgusted. What was wrong with the way the game launched? Why do you feel the need to listen to the whiners? If not that then it must be the network coding/programming that’s the problem because the server issues are the difference between having a good experience and having an unbelievably ridiculous one where you dominate in passing percentage, shots, high quality chances, faceoffs and still lose horrifically. I just don’t understand it anymore i really am losing the desire to play this game. I was so pleasantly surprised when it launched but it has reverted back to the old ugliness just like the last few years. The game launches every year and a few weeks later you guys over tweak and ruin the game and then losers online just get to use the same exploits to ruin the game more.
  • Dont forget that people always adapt. Some more, some less.

But lets have it like this for a time, so it's easier to point out the biggest problems. Then boom, a patch, and everything will be just fine.

I hope and imagine.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Dont forget that people always adapt. Some more, some less.

But lets have it like this for a time, so it's easier to point out the biggest problems. Then boom, a patch, and everything will be just fine.

I hope and imagine.

The game is honestly rough to play now though. The ridiculously bad defensive interceptions are absolutely killing this game. They don't need a huge buff, a minor one but if somebody is in good position it shouldn't go through them to be easily snapped off by the guy standing right next to you. It's wayyyyyy too imbalanced.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Dont forget that people always adapt. Some more, some less.

I hope and imagine.

The game is honestly rough to play now though. The ridiculously bad defensive interceptions are absolutely killing this game. They don't need a huge buff, a minor one but if somebody is in good position it shouldn't go through them to be easily snapped off by the guy standing right next to you. It's wayyyyyy too imbalanced.

I’d rather see the receiver struggle to make plays due to being screened by the defender/on their backhand/lowering one-timer accuracy before buffing pass interceptions across the board. Additionally, the AI deficiencies in covering open players around the net exaggerates this issue in 1v1 modes. I actually believe the interceptions are fine in player lock modes, and the AI being present (and bad) in 1v1 modes is the biggest difference.