EA Forums - Banner

Allow us to choose not to fight!

Prev1
I hate having to fight for throwing a hit. I shouldn't have to be a female to avoid fighting every game. Please change this. Give us the option.

Replies

• I hate having to fight for throwing a hit. I shouldn't have to be a female to avoid fighting every game. Please change this. Give us the option.

this is just 1 of 100+ examples of EA's incompetence. All of these things have been brought up 100s of times, even directly to the people in charge, for many years. Nothing ever changes. There's no one anywhere other than Trolls that like these things.

Kind of like crashing the exist (quit glitch/bug) of 20% of the games, allowing enforcers to run around racking up 25 mins a game in penalties while trolling in drop ins yet never kicking them, list goes on.

The only one I can think of was stick breaking and that took many loud voices for many years to get removed.

As the expression goes, EA has neither the time nor the inclination to deal with these small simple "quality of life" aspects of their game.
  • Also, the opponent should get an extra 2 min penalty for instigating should you choose to accept the fight.
  • 88BigTim88 wrote: »
    Also, the opponent should get an extra 2 min penalty for instigating should you choose to accept the fight.

This for sure. I shouldn't be punished for making a good hit.
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    88BigTim88 wrote: »
    Also, the opponent should get an extra 2 min penalty for instigating should you choose to accept the fight.

You should only be forced to fight if the player is injured on a hit. I get that it's frustrating, but it's also pretty realistic. A player is most often going to defend their teammate's honor in these situations.
  • > @EA_Aljo said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > You should only be forced to fight if the player is injured on a hit. I get that it's frustrating, but it's also pretty realistic. A player is most often going to defend their teammate's honor in these situations.

Fighting at a pond game is unrealistic (and illegal) so you should either get drop in games back in arenas or abolish fighting in pond games if realism is your objective.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

You should only be forced to fight if the player is injured on a hit. I get that it's frustrating, but it's also pretty realistic. A player is most often going to defend their teammate's honor in these situations.

This is fine for the guy initiating the fight and wants to go, but you should not, as the guy defending himself, be forced to fight. Plenty of guys make clean hits, other team goes looking for a fight, but the guy is disciplined not to take the bait.

I use a female character because I don't feel like wasting my time in EASHL being forced into a fight when a forward skates top speed into my hit.
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

This is fine for the guy initiating the fight and wants to go, but you should not, as the guy defending himself, be forced to fight. Plenty of guys make clean hits, other team goes looking for a fight, but the guy is disciplined not to take the bait.

I use a female character because I don't feel like wasting my time in EASHL being forced into a fight when a forward skates top speed into my hit.

Thanks for the feedback on this. As I said, I know it's frustrating. At least you can get around this by using a female player, but I know that's not ideal for everyone. We'll have to wait and see if this changes in the future.
  • > @EA_Aljo said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Thanks for the feedback on this. As I said, I know it's frustrating. At least you can get around this by using a female player, but I know that's not ideal for everyone. We'll have to wait and see if this changes in the future.

I did not know about the female player workaround thanks.

I think at the very least if the instigating player should get an extra 2 min penalty. It would be more realistic for one, but also maybe act as a deterrent so less people will actually want to accept the fight.

Seems like something simple they could even patch this year if they wanted to.

First, it shouldn't matter if they get injured. There's NO logic in that. Second its not realistic. Just because in old school hockey people fight all the time, doesn't mean it still happens. There are almost no fights now and when they do happen its a mutal thing. No one fights unless they want to. Last this isn't real hockey. Its a video game. There is no GOOD reason to keep forcing people to fight just because randomly your game decides "hey this was a pretty good hit lets make them fight this time".

The worst thing is often the instigator didn't want to fight, just mistakenly hit the button that pops up.

This is yet another in a long line of stupid decisions that just goes on and on every year.
  • MachoManRandySav
    7 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    EA should 100% add in a fighting instigator penalty or just allow someone to decline a fight. Yes, it's sometimes realistic for a player to attempt to start a fight after a big hit but players also decline fights all the time in today's game. If someone forces a fight and game stoppage, they should be either penalized or just give the other player the option to accept or decline. I think you'd see a lot less of the nonsense. Unrealistic and annoying when a big hit leads to a breakaway and the player on the breakaway is forced to stop, turn around, and fight. 'Hey, I have a breakaway and chance to win or tie the game but, hey, let's stop and fight instead.' Add the fighting instigator penalty EA!

Here's my suggestion:

A huge hit injury will prompt two fight options for the instigator:
    1) ATTEMPT FIGHT > opposing player will then receive a pop-up prompt with two options
    . . . a) accept fight = fight & both 5mins
    . . . b) decline = no fight & no penalties

2) FORCE FIGHT > opposing player is forced to fight = both receive 5mins and the fight's instigator receives an extra 2min penalty (fighting instigator)
    Post edited by MachoManRandySav on
  • > @EA_Aljo said:
    > You should only be forced to fight if the player is injured on a hit. I get that it's frustrating, but it's also pretty realistic. A player is most often going to defend their teammate's honor in these situations.

How can you give this reply with a straight face? It's honestly insulting to me as a customer to see that kind of low grade cop-out response to a legitimate game issue.

This is not realistic WHATSOEVER.... NHL Players in real life cannot be FORCED to fight, if someone drops their gloves and tries to hit a player who isn't engaging, they're gunna be in the Penalty box for a while, or even suspended multiple games (Zack Kassian vs. Tkachuk perfect example).
  • Game is extremely inconsistent when handing out penalties and injuries in my opinion. Bypassing penalties by being a women is totally unfair btw...

A player should never have to defend a good and clean hit.
  • Socair
    2815 posts Game Changer
    edited January 2021
    What would be a good solution, one that still punishes goons, yet removes forced fights? I kinda like the instigator idea, but eventually it could deter fighting, which just favours the head hunters.

Maybe just hand out a 5 minute major to anyone causing an injury and allow for the fight prompt to be declined or accepted. Sometimes injuries occur from clean hits too, so that’s not ideal. I think the game does a good job to limit those to the fight prompts only and gives majors to boarding or charging injuries.

It’s a tough call and that’s a big reason why we still have fighting, just to deter the goon style.

Wrong...you shouldn't have to fight at all if you dont want to. Going on about realistic...I've seen players refuse to drop the gloves after a clean hit that injured someone. A player will go after the hitter yes, but often the hitter wont get suckered into it.
  • Gifto73
    126 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    You don't want to fight? Don't run around all willy nilly throwing hits. Probably from behind.

It doesn't happen all that often unless your running around banging a lot. I can't remember the last time I've been in a forced fight. It happens but not to a point where its any sort of issue.
  • You can choose not to fight. The well deserved asskicking is guranteed then.
    I like the fighting. It's not (too) often and more fun than annoying.
    Some 6on6 eashl games i would love to have a whole team brawl right after the first puck drop. Kind of 1990s Red Wings-Avalanche or Rangers-Devils like. Unfortunatly it's only 3 players (I believe) that can fight at the same time.
    Man, that would be 5 f... minutes where we would laugh and chat and enjoy our beer while watching 10 or maybe 12 bots...🤪
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager
    Fighting is fun when you win most of the fights. :)
  • It's fun to win fights as a 178cm, 78kg playmaker against 2m enforcers yes, but not so fun when you "get to fight" every period when you play a bit bigger build to dominate infront of the net and like to play physical. Instigator penalty is needed to keep the fighting down.
  • I agree with the OP. If the game was ultra realistic in most other regards the "realism argument" might hold some weight. But as pointed out, this is a video game.

My counterargument to "but realism..." is "yes but is it FUN?"

I maintain that no, it is not. Autofights should go the way of broken sticks.

As a D man, if I lay a clean hit out on someone, the last thing I want to do is take myself off the ice for 10 minutes because I had to fight someone. If I commit an infraction, sure, sit me in the box. But to penalize people like this is getting really old at this point.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    I agree with the OP. If the game was ultra realistic in most other regards the "realism argument" might hold some weight. But as pointed out, this is a video game.

My counterargument to "but realism..." is "yes but is it FUN?"

I maintain that no, it is not. Autofights should go the way of broken sticks.

As a D man, if I lay a clean hit out on someone, the last thing I want to do is take myself off the ice for 10 minutes because I had to fight someone. If I commit an infraction, sure, sit me in the box. But to penalize people like this is getting really old at this point.

Don't lay any hits. Problem solved.