EA Forums - Banner

Stop lying to yourselves, cross crease is trash

Replies

  • amxblade wrote: »
    when I play I don't grab the puck skate down the ice EVERY Time thinking, hmmm how can I force this pass across for a one timer.

    Is EA supposed to introduce some type of mechanism to force players to make different shooting decisions, despite the fact the majority of opponents may fail to defend a wide open pass that just happens to flow across the crease?

    I'm opposed to any artificial elements being introduced in order to force players to avoid blatantly wide open cross-crease passes - and so should everyone.

    The real issue with the cross crease is there is no easy tool for less-skilled defenders to shut it down when it's currently happening. EA has put more onus on the defensive side of the puck and the abundance of cross crease goals indicates a low threshold for making a mistake in the neutral zone.

    In previous years, you could largely ignore the flow through the neutral zone because players would typically slow up and pull back - looking for a lane to the slot in order to score top shelf-against the grain goals.

    This allowed your backchecking forwards to catch up and clog any cross-crease play.

    This year - if you can't contain the speed of your opponent through the neutral zone - and you frantically switch defenders hoping to catch up - you're going to get burned - as you should.

    But youre completely ignoring the ones who just spin in the corners until they can charge their pass and regardless of perfect d position or not, it finds a way between your legs, or your stick will move JUST enough to get out of the way. Why? I think attributes play a part in this which is fine but then defensive positioning means jack in those cases. So no matter how well you play it, its gonna get through eventually.

    You could tell me to pressure them which i do but once they fire that pass, player switching is so bad that by the time it switches, my ai has already wandered 2 feet BEHIND the attacking forward, leaving him too far out of place for you to make a defensive play. Or if you dont switch, the ai will just stand there. So are we supposed to play the carrier? Thats what ea says they wanted, but in reality it encourages skill zoning even more because im afraid to let my ai handle those plays when all a guy does is circle in the corner looking for that pass.

    So yeah, the best d for it is skill zoning....something EA said they wanted to eliminate.

    Yeah this makes me chuckle. They’ve tried to address “skill zoning” in so many different ways, but simply having your Weakside players not completely disregard their assignments because you’re not attacking the figure skater in the corner enough for their (AI) liking apparently isn’t one of them.

    Can’t promote “skill” if you don’t promote 1v1 battles. Can’t actually honestly promote “playing the man” in this game because you can’t trust your teammates. Can’t make defensive pivots more of a “read” while simultaneously letting the puck carrier do dang-near 180 degree turns on a dime, especially when it involves slamming their face into the boards to bounce.

    This game will never be good online without custom lobbies and custom sliders. The Twitch streamers don’t want it to be hard because they’re not creative nor do they understand the sport. They watch the NHL highlight videos on YT and skip through the other 59:45 of real hockey and hard work being played. And I’m not advocating for a super grindy game, but I certainly don’t think this game and it’s meta offer a “creative” or “skilled” representation of the game. It’s literally harder to miss the the net than it is to score. Every year, I have to try and make sliders that make scoring actually rewarding, otherwise hockey (and any sport for the matter except basketball, basketball sucks) is a very boring game. That’s what happens when you dull scoring, make big hits the norm, make flashy dekes the norm, they become mundane. There’s no work, there’s no though process, there’s no actual skill used to score in games with top players. Usually a team gets EA’ed by an animation and that’s the difference. It’s almost parody that people win $ playing any EA Sprots product lol. They’re all the same. Scoring is boring.
  • Sega82mega
    2640 posts Member
    edited January 20
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Movie time!



    And what do we got here...

    .. We got Wayne Gretzky, number 99, by many considering to be the best player in the world.. And here he is, in a 1vs1 moment against a unkown player from France.

    And it ends up like so many other 1vs1 moments do.. In last second he turns away from the situation but still manage to get the puck pass me, on my outside.

    I dont really have a solution and I dont even know if anyone else find this annoying. But I know I do... I loved this kinda 1 on 1 when I played hockey, adrenaline starts to flow... But that you can 'escape' like Gretzky does in the clip, is a real deal breaker for me.

    Why is it more fun to turn back then to try to challenge your opponent..?

    #99 made a good play. Turn your back use your body to protect the puck. The real issue is that the AI doesn’t recognize when to puck support. Look at #77 just ignore that he could take the puck away and float when he could be digging in with you.

    Gretz just dies into the board, freeze himself in a animation were he's untouchable for any form of physic play. I dont want that to be considered a good play.

    You feel so helpless every time they just turn away. I prefer, either 1vs1 were you deke yourself loose, or a clap clap play to get you by.. Not this constantly turning back.. Over and over again.

    But yes you are definitely right about that #77.. It feels sometimes like 'table hockey' were your players just move in predefined tracks.

    Sometimes when the puck is loose and glides to the side of them, they can't recognize the puck and refuse to skate towards it.

    The AI skate away from the puck at an alarming fashion in this game. Happens in FIFA too. Defenders seemingly purposefully move into exploitable spots for the offense to create the illusion of “vision” for the human who “reads” those openings. With both games suffering so bad from the same exact problems, I believe these “issues” are actually intended for the casual experience. These games are made for the lowest common denominator. They’re not supposed to have skill gaps, they’re supposed to provide a roller-coaster of emotions to trick the user’s into a cycle of “improving” then plateauing, then “improving” again despite the fact that they probably didn’t change their game up at all. Offline, this attempts to provide “edge of your seat excitement” and online it’s supposed to to encourage you to spend a bit on “surprise mechanics” that are “quite fun.”

    There’s a reason FIFA has all the bells and whistles, licenses, skill moves, and streamers yet they can’t even produce a half-competent challenge to PES when it comes to an offline experience that feels like soccer. These games aren’t meant to be realistic nor fun 100% of the time. They’re designed to be the right amount of frustrating and fun to get you addicted to the grind, not the actual experience of hockey/football/soccer.

    PS. Shoutout to PES for having a much more realistic “screen” effect in their game than NHL/FIFA. Go on YouTube and lookup PES realism mods. The game is absolutely stunning with the right mods and this is without a very deep slider feature in the game. I think it has like 3-4 max so this game OOTB is miles ahead of FIFA even with all of the sliders FIFA gives you. PES is simply incredible.

    It gives the illusion of a braindead AI, like they are on a completely diffrent game then I am. It also takes away alot of the impulsiveness, that is a big characteristic for hockey.

    I will take a look at my old friend PES, had a crush on that game when I was young.

    (it looks wonderful, it's so importen that not every shot is on target, some could land out at the corner flag.. It makes the 'real shots' feel much better, when they happen.
    Same goes for passes, it shouldnt be perfect all the time, often a missed out pass that leads to creative chances.)

    PES on full manual is the best “realistic” representation of a sport I have ever played. Their crowd noises are amazing, the sloppiness and the freedom of manual passing is just simply unrivaled. You can tell they have a ton of animations in the game that are meant to make manual passing easier and more rewarding. It’s simply incredible.

    Yeah I wish manual passing could be abit more freedom.

    I dont know the exact word for it.. But in soccer you often try to play the ball on a free surface, for the forward to go after...

    But that happen alot in hockey too.. But I find it hard to get that gap, that it takes, to manual sauce the puck into an area for my player to go after.
  • As for Online VS., I'm now switching to the goalie when the opponent has a clear opportunity for a cross-crease. Someone I played against was so skilled switching to the goalie it was difficult to score those type of goals against them. I can't speak for EASHL since you can't switch, but if a cross-crease is there it's going to be because of player positioning.

    There are times where I think the goalie's positioning is just a little off where they could cover a little more to the other side of the net in order to make a last second diving save. If there could be a slight increase in a diving save I think it could make a positive change. If a team has scored twice on a cross-crease I think the goalies should adapt to knowing to the cross-crease is likely coming, increasing the chances of a diving save.
    Please no, on the diving part. The goalie just needs to be slightly deeper in his net and then a simple butterfly slide to the opposite post should stop most cross-crease opportunities.

    If the passer fakes a shot before making the cross crease chance, then the goalie should plant his feet and the slide should be less controlled (or in a hybrid/stand-up style maybe become a dive), but no butterfly goalie should be diving on the first shot... ever.
  • amxblade
    137 posts Member
    edited January 21
    So EA boys, help me figure something out here. When I'm trying to break out of my zone, and the defending team is forchecking, all they need to do is hold the dss out in front if them and voila! interception, unless I use a saucer pass.

    Now let's move to offence, they are now in the zone and circle, circle, circle so I stand in front of my net holding my stick out ysing the dss. Now here I would assume that it should work the same way, I'm in position, I'm facing my opponent, I'm counting on my AI D partner to be doing his job, covering the guy I KNOW he's going to force it over to and yet, he fires it across, I never touch it and my AI D partner is standing there, reading a book, looking like a human controlled afk player. So how in the world does me playing any better d help me here cause guess what, I can't play it any better.

    Now on a other note should I try and go after said player who is circling, I leave the front wide open due to my afk defenceman (see above) now here comes the funny part. The guy circling is holding the puck out to the side and just circling so if I try to hit him with say Chara, I bounce off him, if I try and poke the puck, I take a tripping penalty because he's now in the bubble of invincibility.

    So basically I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. Also onthe point of taking over my goalie.... Why should I have to do that? If the goalies weren't set to Rookie, maybe they'd stop something or learn that hey, cross crease one timer again, might as well just put my chair on the side of the net.
  • Sega82mega
    2640 posts Member
    edited January 21
    amxblade wrote: »
    So EA boys, help me figure something out here. When I'm trying to break out of my zone, and the defending team is forchecking, all they need to do is hold the dss out in front if them and voila! interception, unless I use a saucer pass.

    Now let's move to offence, they are now in the zone and circle, circle, circle so I stand in front of my net holding my stick out ysing the dss. Now here I would assume that it should work the same way, I'm in position, I'm facing my opponent, I'm counting on my AI D partner to be doing his job, covering the guy I KNOW he's going to force it over to and yet, he fires it across, I never touch it and my AI D partner is standing there, reading a book, looking like a human controlled afk player. So how in the world does me playing any better d help me here cause guess what, I can't play it any better.

    Now on a other note should I try and go after said player who is circling, I leave the front wide open due to my afk defenceman (see above) now here comes the funny part. The guy circling is holding the puck out to the side and just circling so if I try to hit him with say Chara, I bounce off him, if I try and poke the puck, I take a tripping penalty because he's now in the bubble of invincibility.

    So basically I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. Also onthe point of taking over my goalie.... Why should I have to do that? If the goalies weren't set to Rookie, maybe they'd stop something or learn that hey, cross crease one timer again, might as well just put my chair on the side of the net.

    Well... You describe it pretty good. I can picture it in my head. I think we all have experience this gameplay you are telling us about.

    And it's pretty critical, to go too hard against the puck carrier. He will probebly turn you inside out if you attack him with full power.

    I hardly use my DSS, cause usally I know when the pass is coming, I try to glide as slow as I can(best way to intercept passes) and to be enough close the puck carrier so he can't short side snipe and enough close to he"s "cross crease" player infront of the net so I can pick up the pass.

    This often works pretty good. But out of 10-12 attempts, of this same play from the opponent, it usally works for him 1-3 times. So if I dont score 2-4 goals, im usally screwed.

    *But I would not mind at all if I didnt had to do everything by myself. A little bit of help from some AI input would be much appreciated.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    The argument is, "people can force a pass through 3 players with no way to stop it" yet not a single video that shows this specific scenario happening.

    Several videos have been posted showing passes going through razor thin passing lanes or even gloves, skates, etc. How can you even say such nonsense?

    There hasn't been a SINGLE video showing a pass going through three defensive players. Not a single one.

    And don't tell me I'm saying nonsense - there's no need for personal attacks.

    Like I have said before - accuracy on no-look and charged passes needs to be addressed. However, passing a puck through a 'razor thin passing lane' is NOT the same as 'a pass going through three players'.

    1. If we are being literal in saying "3 players" than sure I guess You are correct. But there is plenty of video of pucks going though player bodies/ (I know the argument is its going through the jersey cloth but I have a hard time believing that one) , skate blades , gloves. etc.
    2. Saying someone is saying nonsense is not a personal attack, it's still attacking your argument. A personal attack would be me saying something like "YOU are stupid", vs "Your argument is stupid".
    3. I agree the things you mentioned are issues but they are not the only ones. I am not sure why you feel you get to be the arbiter of what is and is not an issue with the game.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1430 posts Member
    edited January 21
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    The argument is, "people can force a pass through 3 players with no way to stop it" yet not a single video that shows this specific scenario happening.

    Several videos have been posted showing passes going through razor thin passing lanes or even gloves, skates, etc. How can you even say such nonsense?

    There hasn't been a SINGLE video showing a pass going through three defensive players. Not a single one.

    And don't tell me I'm saying nonsense - there's no need for personal attacks.

    Like I have said before - accuracy on no-look and charged passes needs to be addressed. However, passing a puck through a 'razor thin passing lane' is NOT the same as 'a pass going through three players'.

    1. If we are being literal in saying "3 players" than sure I guess You are correct. But there is plenty of video of pucks going though player bodies/ (I know the argument is its going through the jersey cloth but I have a hard time believing that one) , skate blades , gloves. etc.
    2. Saying someone is saying nonsense is not a personal attack, it's still attacking your argument. A personal attack would be me saying something like "YOU are stupid", vs "Your argument is stupid".
    3. I agree the things you mentioned are issues but they are not the only ones. I am not sure why you feel you get to be the arbiter of what is and is not an issue with the game.

    @IceLion68

    Didn't you hear? Players with +4 ratings in 200+ games on teams with 50% wpc can say and do anything they want because, obviously, they're awesome, and as long as its supports the game.

    Let’s keep the discussion on track.
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    The argument is, "people can force a pass through 3 players with no way to stop it" yet not a single video that shows this specific scenario happening.

    Several videos have been posted showing passes going through razor thin passing lanes or even gloves, skates, etc. How can you even say such nonsense?

    There hasn't been a SINGLE video showing a pass going through three defensive players. Not a single one.

    And don't tell me I'm saying nonsense - there's no need for personal attacks.

    Like I have said before - accuracy on no-look and charged passes needs to be addressed. However, passing a puck through a 'razor thin passing lane' is NOT the same as 'a pass going through three players'.

    1. If we are being literal in saying "3 players" than sure I guess You are correct. But there is plenty of video of pucks going though player bodies/ (I know the argument is its going through the jersey cloth but I have a hard time believing that one) , skate blades , gloves. etc.
    2. Saying someone is saying nonsense is not a personal attack, it's still attacking your argument. A personal attack would be me saying something like "YOU are stupid", vs "Your argument is stupid".
    3. I agree the things you mentioned are issues but they are not the only ones. I am not sure why you feel you get to be the arbiter of what is and is not an issue with the game.

    1. You have a “hard time believing” what a developer has explicitly stated here time and time again. It’s very clear you’re not up for discussion then. You disregard actual facts and there’s no path forward in the discussion when that happens.

    2. I haven’t said anything nonsensical. And I’ve literally proven all of my points with actual evidence yet others refuse to do the same and just tell me to “look it up”. And in doing so you just find the same old clips of people playing horrible defence and then pointing to a puck going through a jersey and saying THAT’S the ONLY reason they got scored on...

    3. I’ve never claimed to be the sole arbiter of what is and isn’t an issue. I’m simply giving my opinion which is what you’re doing as well. The main difference being that I actually provide clips and evidence for my grievances with the game to help provide important context rather than just parroting the line “cRoSS cREase bAD”


  • IceLion68
    1054 posts Member
    edited January 21

    1. You have a “hard time believing” what a developer has explicitly stated here time and time again. It’s very clear you’re not up for discussion then. You disregard actual facts and there’s no path forward in the discussion when that happens.

    2. I haven’t said anything nonsensical. And I’ve literally proven all of my points with actual evidence yet others refuse to do the same and just tell me to “look it up”. And in doing so you just find the same old clips of people playing horrible defence and then pointing to a puck going through a jersey and saying THAT’S the ONLY reason they got scored on...

    3. I’ve never claimed to be the sole arbiter of what is and isn’t an issue. I’m simply giving my opinion which is what you’re doing as well. The main difference being that I actually provide clips and evidence for my grievances with the game to help provide important context rather than just parroting the line “cRoSS cREase bAD”

    1. With the Jersey thing: look, I get the counter argument there. So let's say it is so. It's still pretty weak IMO that a puck goes under a guy's armpit when he is laying on the ice to block a shot. The law of averages would dictate that the shot should hit the player, not slide under his armpit. Same with the glove one - which by the way the puck seems to go right through. Are we supposed to believe that someone sliding across the ice would have his gloves held up in midair rather than being in contact with the ice? At the very least I feel that if nothing else the collision detection seems to favor the offense in every case. I could accuse you of also ignoring evidence but I think it might be nicer - and more accurate - to say we are interpreting the "evidence" differently.
    2. Your position that there is NO evidence to support that there is something wonky about the percentage of cross creases passes that are making it through in situations where it clearly should have hit a glove, for example, is baffling to me. I will once again state here, no one is arguing that is not bad defense. Not me - so please stop attributing this position to me. It's false. I am saying that bad defense or not, the rate at which passes seem to get through in situations that in "real life" should have no business doing so is high enough that it is a cause for frustration and/or concern. As I have previously stated, I am ok with punishing bad defense, but not by allowing things that range from statistically unlikely to physically impossible.
    3. You haven't explicitly claimed this but its basically inferred by myself and others in your attitude. The fact that you can ignore/discount everyone else's evidence while citing yours as being legit is indicative of this.

    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68
    1054 posts Member
    edited January 21
    Some additional evidence cross crease needs to be looked at:









    If you don't find the last video compelling I am not sure what to say anymore...
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • EA_Aljo
    2369 posts EA Community Manager
    IceLion68 wrote: »

    If you don't find the last video compelling I am not sure what to say anymore...

    This happened because his stick is passing through the goalie's stick. I know the dev team is trying to improve this. In that video, it would make sense to still have the puck deflect off the skates even though their stick had passed through an object. We'll have to wait and see what changes are made in the future, but the dev team is most definitely aware of these more unique cases where the puck should still react to a player when the stick is passing through an object.

  • That last goal was awful - I’ll give you that.

    But Nasher playing bad defence in HUT Rivals is not a good argument for the cross being OP.

    Everything is OP in HUT Rivals.
  • That last goal was awful - I’ll give you that.

    But Nasher playing bad defence in HUT Rivals is not a good argument for the cross being OP.

    Everything is OP in HUT Rivals.

    Yeah I think that the elite or whatever you wanna call them, is not that good when it comes to play defense.

    Alot of them has probebly always been able to rely on a powerful offens and then let the most of the defensive part been played by their own A.I.

    I often see scores of 9-7, 11-9, 8-8...

    Thats crazy.. I dont usally score more then 3-5 goals and maybe 2-4 goals against. But never once I've been up to this crazy amount of goals, back and forth.
  • IceLion68
    1054 posts Member
    edited January 21
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »

    If you don't find the last video compelling I am not sure what to say anymore...

    This happened because his stick is passing through the goalie's stick. I know the dev team is trying to improve this. In that video, it would make sense to still have the puck deflect off the skates even though their stick had passed through an object. We'll have to wait and see what changes are made in the future, but the dev team is most definitely aware of these more unique cases where the puck should still react to a player when the stick is passing through an object.

    The puck passes under his first skate before his stick makes contact with the goalies... but it's good to hear they are working on this.

    BTW thank you - I will forever quote you as this being evidence of official recognition of this being an issue <grin>
    Post edited by IceLion68 on
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.

  • But Nasher playing bad defence in HUT Rivals is not a good argument for the cross being OP.

    Everything is OP in HUT Rivals.

    And I will grant YOU that LOL. But from about 1:10 onwards in his twitter clip, the way the puck gets through in those couple passes/goals is , well, a bit egregious and is the kind of thing I am talking about.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68
    1054 posts Member
    edited January 21
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    That last goal was awful - I’ll give you that.

    But Nasher playing bad defence in HUT Rivals is not a good argument for the cross being OP.

    Everything is OP in HUT Rivals.

    Yeah I think that the elite or whatever you wanna call them, is not that good when it comes to play defense.

    Alot of them has probebly always been able to rely on a powerful offens and then let the most of the defensive part been played by their own A.I.

    I often see scores of 9-7, 11-9, 8-8...

    Thats crazy.. I dont usally score more then 3-5 goals and maybe 2-4 goals against. But never once I've been up to this crazy amount of goals, back and forth.

    Again. Good D bad D. I am not discriminating. For me it's about physics and collision detection, and whether a pass should realistically have made it through or not and subsequently in the back of the net.

    Take the first YouTube video for example. You *could* argue that the puck passes literally through all *3* (!) defenders because their backs were turned to the puck... I think it's crazy that it somehow gets through without incidental contact even, forgetting about defensive awareness... but OK their backs were turned they don't see it. Fine. But why is it the pass receiver then is somehow magically able to anticipate this pass and bang it home with perfect timing... when HIS BACK IS ALSO TURNED!?

    This is the stuff I am talking about. Bad D may lead to bad defensive situations, but I don't think it should be punished by allowing physically impossible/improbable things to happen.. Especially in this case where there appears to be an offensive bias: the attacker could somehow do what 3 defensive players could not.

    PS: Can we take that video as that elusive example of a puck in fact going through 3 defenders :D
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • kyl_35 wrote: »
    As for Online VS., I'm now switching to the goalie when the opponent has a clear opportunity for a cross-crease. Someone I played against was so skilled switching to the goalie it was difficult to score those type of goals against them. I can't speak for EASHL since you can't switch, but if a cross-crease is there it's going to be because of player positioning.

    There are times where I think the goalie's positioning is just a little off where they could cover a little more to the other side of the net in order to make a last second diving save. If there could be a slight increase in a diving save I think it could make a positive change. If a team has scored twice on a cross-crease I think the goalies should adapt to knowing to the cross-crease is likely coming, increasing the chances of a diving save.
    Please no, on the diving part. The goalie just needs to be slightly deeper in his net and then a simple butterfly slide to the opposite post should stop most cross-crease opportunities.

    If the passer fakes a shot before making the cross crease chance, then the goalie should plant his feet and the slide should be less controlled (or in a hybrid/stand-up style maybe become a dive), but no butterfly goalie should be diving on the first shot... ever.

    See, goalies IRL know that angle is more important than depth. This is why on cross crease opportunities, especially ones where the intended shooter is ahead of the puck, goalies known to take a diagonal path back to the far post rather than sliding over flat. If you look at many of the cross crease goals in this game, it involves a diagonal pass and clearly the AI goalie can’t handle it.
  • Sega82mega
    2640 posts Member
    edited January 21
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    That last goal was awful - I’ll give you that.

    But Nasher playing bad defence in HUT Rivals is not a good argument for the cross being OP.

    Everything is OP in HUT Rivals.

    Yeah I think that the elite or whatever you wanna call them, is not that good when it comes to play defense.

    Alot of them has probebly always been able to rely on a powerful offens and then let the most of the defensive part been played by their own A.I.

    I often see scores of 9-7, 11-9, 8-8...

    Thats crazy.. I dont usally score more then 3-5 goals and maybe 2-4 goals against. But never once I've been up to this crazy amount of goals, back and forth.

    Again. Good D bad D. I am not discriminating. For me it's about physics and collision detection, and whether a pass should realistically have made it through or not and subsequently in the back of the net.

    Take the first YouTube video for example. You *could* argue that the puck passes literally through all *3* (!) defenders because their backs were turned to the puck... I think it's crazy that it somehow gets through without incidental contact even, forgetting about defensive awareness... but OK their backs were turned they don't see it. Fine. But why is it the pass receiver then is somehow magically able to anticipate this pass and bang it home with perfect timing... when HIS BACK IS ALSO TURNED!?

    This is the stuff I am talking about. Bad D may lead to bad defensive situations, but I don't think it should be punished by allowing physically impossible/improbable things to happen.. Especially in this case where there appears to be an offensive bias: the attacker could somehow do what 3 defensive players could not.

    PS: Can we take that video as that elusive example of a puck in fact going through 3 defenders :D

    But I do think we are 'fighting' for the same thing here.

    Neither me you or kid, or whoever it might be.. Dosent want pucks to pass through objects.

    How could anyone want that to happen.

    I have seen it.. But it was a while ago now. I think alot of people are shouting "Wolf!" when there really isn't anything to see.

    .. And thats why videos are best. If you want people to bealive. (and to save the developers alot of trouble)..

    😊
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    That last goal was awful - I’ll give you that.

    But Nasher playing bad defence in HUT Rivals is not a good argument for the cross being OP.

    Everything is OP in HUT Rivals.

    Yeah I think that the elite or whatever you wanna call them, is not that good when it comes to play defense.

    Alot of them has probebly always been able to rely on a powerful offens and then let the most of the defensive part been played by their own A.I.

    I often see scores of 9-7, 11-9, 8-8...

    Thats crazy.. I dont usally score more then 3-5 goals and maybe 2-4 goals against. But never once I've been up to this crazy amount of goals, back and forth.

    Again. Good D bad D. I am not discriminating. For me it's about physics and collision detection, and whether a pass should realistically have made it through or not and subsequently in the back of the net.

    Take the first YouTube video for example. You *could* argue that the puck passes literally through all *3* (!) defenders because their backs were turned to the puck... I think it's crazy that it somehow gets through without incidental contact even, forgetting about defensive awareness... but OK their backs were turned they don't see it. Fine. But why is it the pass receiver then is somehow magically able to anticipate this pass and bang it home with perfect timing... when HIS BACK IS ALSO TURNED!?

    This is the stuff I am talking about. Bad D may lead to bad defensive situations, but I don't think it should be punished by allowing physically impossible/improbable things to happen.. Especially in this case where there appears to be an offensive bias: the attacker could somehow do what 3 defensive players could not.

    PS: Can we take that video as that elusive example of a puck in fact going through 3 defenders :D

    This 100%

    Why are defenders limited by “vision” but intended receivers aren’t? If that puck is going “through” 6 legs, 3 sticks, and 3 bodies + the receiver has their back turned, at what point was there ever “vision” for the now shooter? It’d make more sense if this were like a PowerPlay setup and the shooter would be anticipating a “forced” pass through a semi-filled lane, but the shooter is clearly not facing the pass and the best goalie in the world would’ve been screened by that traffic lol.

    Another case of “selective realism” in this game. Defenders and goalies are affected by vision for “balance” but forwards are not. Not asking for less defensive accountability/skill, just want more forward accountability/skill.

    Also, can we all agree that at least one of those CPU defenders should have had the anticipation to face the carrier there and intercept the puck? We can argue over why it didn’t get picked because of vision, but the root cause is two CPU defenders not recognizing the obvious forced pass and getting vision of the puck. This pass requires to skill or vision. They passed it by 3 defenders. From simply a video game point of view, that just shouldn’t ever be a rewarded play. I don’t get how a meta like this can honestly promote “skill” and “on-puck defense” in 1v1 modes because you simply can’t trust your CPU AI dmen in the slightest. They’re worse than comes because cones will at least stay in the spot I put them. These are toddlers who like to run away with reckless abandon lol.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4148 posts EA Community Manager
    Thoughts on the 1-2-2 Aggressive & 1-2-2 Red strategy in stopping the cross-crease?

    The video can be watched here.

    Sleeveless goes over what this strategy will do for your skaters on defense.
  • Thoughts on the 1-2-2 Aggressive & 1-2-2 Red strategy in stopping the cross-crease?

    The video can be watched here.

    Sleeveless goes over what this strategy will do for your skaters on defense.

    Cool will check. I run the same but blue instead of red.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!