EA Forums - Banner

Stop lying to yourselves, cross crease is trash

Replies

• Sega82mega
    3029 posts Member
    edited February 26
    You are so good with videos and promote them in a clear way.

Hehe and that little 'one hand stick-rush' MacKinnon does was the exact thing I meant.

Dosent look right.. I think it has something to do with the 'protect the puck' move he did just before he went into the board.

And he started to be 'outmaneuvered' if that pass, that close to my goalie wouldn’t connect, he would been totally out of options.

But thats the thing.. People seem to push and push for that cross crease over and over again.. And only from one side of the rink.

Until it feels like the whole gameplay been twisted up. The players gets almost impossible to control.

( looks like MacKinnon is close to knock himself out with he's own stick)

😄
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

This might be what we call, a forced cross crease.

The puck almost too fast for MacKinnon..

Yea it's these types of cross crease plays where you just shake your head.

I'm more interested in getting this fixed:

Like.. what is even happening there? It's a good video example of an issue a lot of people (myself included) have had with this game for years which is that the puck is intertwined with the actual player model rather than being a separate object.

I can only imagine this element of the game engine is contributing to a lot of the 'what the **' moments that drive people away from the series.
    OK I am genuinely confused. What happens *before* the cross crease pass is obviously... odd. But what is the issue with the actual cross crease pass/goal itself??

Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
    Why don't we have control over elbowing? It's just happen without having to do too much on the button layout?

It would be cool to have more control over such thing.

(never mind, I missed the explanation above with IceLion68. My bad.)

There is no elbowing penalty any more. Nor cross checking (for the same reason I expect)
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Like.. what is even happening there? It's a good video example of an issue a lot of people (myself included) have had with this game for years which is that the puck is intertwined with the actual player model rather than being a separate object.

I can only imagine this element of the game engine is contributing to a lot of the 'what the **' moments that drive people away from the series.
    OK I am genuinely confused. What happens *before* the cross crease pass is obviously... odd. But what is the issue with the actual cross crease pass/goal itself??

IMO - it's another example of the A.I. with their back to the play and not being properly positioned. We're missing the context of the whole play, but I'm uncertain what context would result in the A.I. giving up positioning to a player in a prime scoring area while having their back to the play:

jrxV6Yu.png

IMO - it's another example of the A.I. with their back to the play and not being properly positioned. We're missing the context of the whole play, but I'm uncertain what context would result in the A.I. giving up positioning to a player in a prime scoring area while having their back to the play:

jrxV6Yu.png

AI must’ve seen that their arbitrary spot on the ice was a little exposed so decided to forfeit his advantageous position on the high danger threat in-order to make sure that unguarded arbitrary spot wasn’t left exposed.

All EA games running “zone” defense have issues with zone defense, so maybe EA should actually collaborate on the AI across all teams to fix this issue, you know, do the thing they said a unified game engine would allow them to do. Not like these blunders are new. They’ve existed for this entire generation at minimum. They play their “spots” more than they play the actual guys we’re wanting them to cover via their spots lol.

On the same point of not facing the play, can we stop having forwards cycling to the boards backside first? Can we stop having attacking team defenders cut down backside first? Can forwards cutting high to low stop cutting backside first? It’s just completely backwards (pun intended) right now. Face the play at all costs to your detriment on offense, never face the play and show no care for the puck or play when on defense...

Nothing. Not directly, the actually cross crease was just a good reason to type in this thread.. 😜... But when you mention it, why not have a more aggressive goalie, I see sometimes there around their own net to protect with their sticks. But if they could give us a little more backup, with thoose close pucks that 'glides through' them, that would be great.

But that disorder MacKinnon shows up was my top concern.
  • Sega82mega
    3029 posts Member
    edited February 26
    IceLion68 wrote: »

jrxV6Yu.png

AI must’ve seen that their arbitrary spot on the ice was a little exposed so decided to forfeit his advantageous position on the high danger threat in-order to make sure that unguarded arbitrary spot wasn’t left exposed.

All EA games running “zone” defense have issues with zone defense, so maybe EA should actually collaborate on the AI across all teams to fix this issue, you know, do the thing they said a unified game engine would allow them to do. Not like these blunders are new. They’ve existed for this entire generation at minimum. They play their “spots” more than they play the actual guys we’re wanting them to cover via their spots lol.

On the same point of not facing the play, can we stop having forwards cycling to the boards backside first? Can we stop having attacking team defenders cut down backside first? Can forwards cutting high to low stop cutting backside first? It’s just completely backwards (pun intended) right now. Face the play at all costs to your detriment on offense, never face the play and show no care for the puck or play when on defense...

I felt pretty good in this sequence, I have forced him to my outside pretty long. Nothing could surprise me, it felt like... But I didn't see that 'super mac' move coming. I dont think my own AI recognized that play either, thats why, he's on the wrong side of the player.

That super creative move folled us all.. Both high tech artificial intelligence and a human brain.

We should all be ashamed!

😊

• IMO - it's another example of the A.I. with their back to the play and not being properly positioned. We're missing the context of the whole play, but I'm uncertain what context would result in the A.I. giving up positioning to a player in a prime scoring area while having their back to the play:

jrxV6Yu.png

Ah yes ok that makes sense.
  • Sega82mega
    3029 posts Member
    edited February 26

jrxV6Yu.png

And as I said - I dont think that play is 'suppose' to happen. Why would MacKinnon act like that other wise. (and my own A.I 's positioning).

But I think this things are good to point out. When you really feel an awkward feeling.

(your own AI' s positioning has alot to do with your 'own positioning', and beacuse of that move I lost abit of track, like my AI also did)... At the same time.
  • If you loose the puck with your forward high up in the o-zone, it's often a good idea to switch from that player and take control of a player that has alot more space between the puck carrier and you. I would say go L2 and move back to just cover areas 90% of the time.

You often have 1-2 pokes, one 'bump' and one stick lift to use with one player before it start being too much of a penalty risk.

Some tripping calls is so unnecessary. If you are behind the puck carrier and way to close, don't poke(!), switch to another player with much more gap between the puck carrier. To a defender for example.

But when you do.. Don't drive that player out of position (against the puck carrier) it's better to maintain that gap, to the rushing puck carrier by falling back. Keep your backskate going. If you have to.. You can backskate all the way down to your goalie. Just keep the puck carrier on distances, don't let him come to the 'Cross crease area' but other then that, stay calm.
  • Sega82mega
    3029 posts Member
    edited March 3
    I miss a "gameplay thread" were you just can throw out anything, big or small about the gameplay.

So sorry for using this.. 😬

But I just want to ask if anyone recognize this too.

But sometimes when you are near to find a good flow, and a good opportunitie to forecheck, but not quite yet, you will have to fall back at least one more time before you do.

This times you get yourself in a position were you have to press R2(switch player) at least, 6-8 times, just to keep your AI from pushing to hard in o-zone, you just switch to pull back, switch pull back, and the whole screen just blinks cause you switching player every second.

And when the opponent sees this, that I don't seem to just chase after him... It's usally gives them fire under the skates. It's like they know what's about to happen. And instead of just 'standing still/rag' they start to move up on ice. The fastest they can.

And just in time to my defensive zone im usally gets the right player to shut him down.

And after that, and I get the puck, it feels like everything is in 'balance'.

Whats going on here?

Cause it seems like that often is a problem, you ain't got the time to 'sync' to your own AI. Even if it is like this times.. Were I do my best to 'not' just go after the puck carrier.
  • IceLion68
    1161 posts Member
    I miss a "gameplay thread" were you just can throw out anything, big or small about the gameplay.

You could start one :D
  • Sega82mega
    3029 posts Member

(Hehe yaaa I knooow.. But I want it like a sticky thread though.. 😝)...
  • EA_Aljo
    2616 posts EA Community Manager

You're welcome to start a thread. We'll keep an eye on it, but we try to keep stickied threads for announcements. We'll certainly consider sticky-ing it though should it remain constructive and be a popular thread with good feedback.
  • Sega82mega
    3029 posts Member
    edited March 3
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

You're welcome to start a thread. We'll keep an eye on it, but we try to keep stickied threads for announcements. We'll certainly consider sticky-ing it though should it remain constructive and be a popular thread with good feedback.

Okey thanks. We' ll see what happen. Im usally find a way around to say what I like.. 😝

(im a forum rebel)
  • j0rtsu67
    604 posts Member

Okey thanks. We' ll see what happen. Im usally find a way around to say what I like.. 😝

(im a forum rebel)
    Perhaps the most positive-minded rebel through the ages! :mrgreen:

• Sega82mega
    3029 posts Member
    edited March 3
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »

(im a forum rebel)
    Perhaps the most positive-minded rebel through the ages! :mrgreen:

Ha ha, thats how I roll! 😎✌️

(life is enough hard as it is, so why not try to stay positive)
  • Sega82mega
    3029 posts Member

This is the face of a happy hooker...

Thoose that try to go for the cross crease this desperate dosent deserve to get there little sweet cross crease handed to them.

Thoose that try to go for the cross crease this desperate dosent deserve to get there little sweet cross crease handed to them.

Oh man this is crazy. What a PERFECT example of how these passing animations bail out players with no skill.
  • Sega82mega
    3029 posts Member

Oh man this is crazy. What a PERFECT example of how these passing animations bail out players with no skill.

Yup. First they start to glide, and 'wobble' abit to left and right, meanwhile they put the puck on the backhand and just wait for me to come at them, and then... 'say hello to my little hook-pass".

But like in this video were the pass end up being higher up on the ice then the actually player that hit the pass.. Is just too much.

But this seem to be something the Dev team is well aware of, so hopefully we get our redemption!

😉