EA Forums - Banner

Team building!

Prev1345678
Im a HUT nerd, I love the aspects of building your ultimate team, from scratch.

I always liked big builds, try to play strong and with alot physics, this year it’s more fun then ever, I feel the size and power can really make a difference.

But I try to mix power with speed, both if possible, guys like benn for example.

So far I have 5 synergy light up, to the cost of 3 silver players, but they have been doing pretty good. I feel it's a must have, to get skating synergy fild up, to match even with thoose that like to run n Gun.

Defense I usally mix between size/reach/DSS and small speedy players that can cover up.

I have big center line, kopi, Bjugstad, Thornton, Duchene, there all good with the stick, DSS. We'll Duchene is mostly good on skates.

Havent done so much big trading, kopi 50k the most, got about 150k in the pocket, gonna save up until something really good comes up.

I hope EA gonna be good to give alot of diffrent options, with players and synergyies this year, so we get the opportunitie to build with many diffrent players from all around the world.

Anyone else that wanna share how you try to build your team?

Replies

• Fellow HUT nerd here!!!

I let the luck of the draw decide until they launch the holiday event. Early in the season give the best Pack value and I'll splurge a few times looking for a player that I can build around. Mostly I'm just stashing players & collectables for later in the year when packs become irrelevant and Master sets are key but I usually get 1 or 2 decent player cards I can carry for a few months.

I'm really disapointed with the 3 tier Icons this year and the way the Event Masters need to be upgraded in the event...it is hard to get excited about either at the moment but I did roll for my 1st Icon after the Squad rewards yesterday.

I loved building a goon squad with the past October events but the Grit and Lit isn't offering the same as previous seasons.

I try to keep balanced FWD lines with a PLY or TWF at center and a SNP and PWF/TWF on the wings. I like to play FWDs on their correct wing but will cross my blueliners to their off point for the one timer off the faceoff.

I currently have 3 player synergies active; Howitzer, Wingman, & Gladiator. I'm not close to any team Syns yet but most players have theirs active. I don't plan for synergies until we get the >90 Masters and the Grit & Lit Loaners are dominating my current lineup.
  • Fellow HUT nerd here!!!

I let the luck of the draw decide until they launch the holiday event. Early in the season give the best Pack value and I'll splurge a few times looking for a player that I can build around. Mostly I'm just stashing players & collectables for later in the year when packs become irrelevant and Master sets are key but I usually get 1 or 2 decent player cards I can carry for a few months.

I'm really disapointed with the 3 tier Icons this year and the way the Event Masters need to be upgraded in the event...it is hard to get excited about either at the moment but I did roll for my 1st Icon after the Squad rewards yesterday.

I loved building a goon squad with the past October events but the Grit and Lit isn't offering the same as previous seasons.

I try to keep balanced FWD lines with a PLY or TWF at center and a SNP and PWF/TWF on the wings. I like to play FWDs on their correct wing but will cross my blueliners to their off point for the one timer off the faceoff.

I currently have 3 player synergies active; Howitzer, Wingman, & Gladiator. I'm not close to any team Syns yet but most players have theirs active. I don't plan for synergies until we get the >90 Masters and the Grit & Lit Loaners are dominating my current lineup.

I like your set up.. I have never been to much of a collecter.. With master set players and all that.

Always rely on monthly packs, rivals and champ. But it always take me a long time before I have a team that can compete against the once I play against. Last 2 months of the game im usally done building.

But maybe put coins into collectables would be something, any tips to get started on when it comes to that?
  • I find the better value buying low priced gold players and rolling them in sets for collectables. Completing Sets is a Milestone objective so I figure if I roll players into collectables I'm knocking out 2 birds with 1 stone.

You can find decent priced collectables but I think they are few and far between.

Hoard early, splurge late. I won't really make a move until the >94 OVRs drop. Everything is pretty level until then and once they're out the value of packs will bottom out. When packs become useless I'll start to buy players in the Auction House.
  • Noted, thanks for the advice. I probebly give it a go. Start saving all my gold players from packs might be a start.
  • Sega82mega
    3314 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    @Jeff_frm_Edmonds

How importen do you think it is with having right numbers of TWD, PWF, SnP and so on.. I saw what you said in that Barkov thread and become curious.

And how is your set up, regarding this?
  • Hi ya, Sega!

I really have no idea but I think having the right combo of player types to be critical to following strategies and my playing style. Just like a real team, you need a little of everything.

I like 2 or 3 of all player types for my FWD lines. Like I posted above, I try not to double up a player type on the same line unless it's for special teams.

I think TWFs are the better players for the AI to controll, those are the hardest teams to play in Squads. When I see a lineup full of SNP and/or PLYs I'll play it on Superstar regardless of the team OVR. They're pretty easy to break down but a team with a bunch of TWFs are a pain. My splits reflect this for online play too but I only go online a few times a week and being online creates other noise in the data like internet connection, et al.

I also try to avoid being too big or too small and the player I replaced Big E for was a smaller PLY. That was a mistake because I ended up selling him before testing the new lineup. I went through a few different lineups and played better when I benched the 84 Grit Mantha for a smaller 82 PLY.

I also use different lineups based on the mode I'm playing. My Squads/Online lineup pretty much stays the same but I'm always moving players around to play Challenges based on the objectives.
  • Hi ya, Sega!

I really have no idea but I think having the right combo of player types to be critical to following strategies and my playing style. Just like a real team, you need a little of everything.

I like 2 or 3 of all player types for my FWD lines. Like I posted above, I try not to double up a player type on the same line unless it's for special teams.

I think TWFs are the better players for the AI to controll, those are the hardest teams to play in Squads. When I see a lineup full of SNP and/or PLYs I'll play it on Superstar regardless of the team OVR. They're pretty easy to break down but a team with a bunch of TWFs are a pain. My splits reflect this for online play too but I only go online a few times a week and being online creates other noise in the data like internet connection, et al.

I also try to avoid being too big or too small and the player I replaced Big E for was a smaller PLY. That was a mistake because I ended up selling him before testing the new lineup. I went through a few different lineups and played better when I benched the 84 Grit Mantha for a smaller 82 PLY.

I also use different lineups based on the mode I'm playing. My Squads/Online lineup pretty much stays the same but I'm always moving players around to play Challenges based on the objectives.

Hehe hi yaa!

This was good.. Thank you.. Tonight im re-building my whole team. Im gonna do this right!

And im gonna keep in mind these things you said, thank you mate!
  • I now have 2 SnP, 4ply, 1 enf, 1 off-d, 1def-D, 1powF, 1grn, and the rest of my team is two way players.

I already got a better feeling for my team.

But the market went from pretty big to really small, especially cause I have synergy to take consideration too.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4447 posts EA Community Manager
    @yohjirun

Tagging you here for advice because of your post here.
  • Synergies always toss a wrench into things. When I cycle through new players I auto fill all positions by highest rating and see what synergies I have available and how much they help, if any.

I had Howitzer when I pulled Big E and thought he'd fit in but I seem to be doing better letting my higher rated players go without Synergies and turning on the synergies of my low 80s. I've gone from Howitzer, Wingman, & Gladiator to Thief, Passing & Gladiator but it's not intentional, just how things have fallen so far.

Howitzer gave me a speed boost but it was mostly my bigger players that had it on and their boost didn't make them faster than the smaller players I replaced them with.
  • @Jeff_frm_Edmonds

I got an awsome problem...

I manage to pull Daniel Sedin, master. Great card, 6 games and 11pts.

Fit my synergy too..

But I feel I cant left he's twin brother out.. If im gonna have one I gotta have both..

But if I buy Henrik, thats about how much coins I have.. Feels dumb to blow that much money on one player..

Might be better to sell uh?

But I do like the twins too... Aaargh... 🤔
  • Mighty nice problem :smiley:

The choice is yours and I'm tempted to roll the Twins' 91 Master set myself. I really liked them as players and already had both Icons and bought one of the 2 sweaters needed last week.

I'll see what my Squad rewards are before I make my call. I do think the 2 will be a good investment for my lineup going forward but the Florida set might be the better way to go. Getting solid 91OVR TWF C and 91OVR D fit more into my style of play.

My plan is to keep any Event Master items I'm lucky enough to pull but sell any Master Icons. I'm still disapointed with the 3-tiered Icon Masters because those are the players I really want to fill out my lineup with. I figure that is where my coins will go once the Gold tier drops and I'm not buying anything except when required for objectives.
  • Thank you, I most needed a voice that could hear me out..

No mather how much I like sedin's, Im having a hard time to justife a 600k purchase. And instead of going zero in my bank account I can now sell and go over 1mil coins, all time record.

But this 'problem' wasen't easy, im still not 100% sure.

Tomarow a new event comes out. Will be fun to see..

Do you already got a player in your squad that you know will be there for the rest of the HUT season?
  • I rolled for the 90OVR Halloween Kassian that I think can last not knowing I'd pull the 88 Big E the next week....Ive found a way to make 2 big PFWs fit my lineup but in hindsight should have gone Defense with that event.

In previous years the early Master Set items have been used in later Master Sets and I'm hoping the same this year. I think it starts when the 96 or 97 Masters drop and usually count for 8 to 10 Gold Collectables in those sets. So I also see it as an investment for later in the season.
  • I love Kassian base card.. He has good hands and quit flexible for he's size. I think Kassian 90 would rock!

Bjugstad is my PFW, he's impressive, I would love to see a higher card with that man.

I stack up GC for all that I got! 😊
  • I can't stop pulling PWFs in packs. I pulled the Frosted Flakes 86 Keith Tkachuk in the week 2 pack this weekend. I did land the 86 Kevin Lowe in week 1 Frosted Flakes pack but PWFs dominate my pulls in the weekly event packs.

Mantha in Lit&Grit, Big-E in Duos and now I land KT7...he comes with better skating stats and didn't cause the issues I noticed when I landed Lindros but now I'm stuck with 4 decent rated PWFs. I tried to remove Mantha to keep an all TWF line for D but my scoring fell off and had to put him back in.
  • Hehe power to the people, it's a fun style to play but I understand your frustration..

I re-build my team again. Im to curious about synergy. I wanted to have speed, acceleration and a whole lot agility. Im thinking agility is what makes players nice to move on the ice.

So I now have, howitzer, distrubutor, swarm and spark active. Unfortunately a bronze and silver goalie and to many snipers.

But I did som nice catch, now in this black friday effect on the market.

Gaborik and sid the kid, also build Drew Doughty on the defense. So I think my team started to get a shape. Gonna build around this 3 guys.
  • Anyone have advice on when to open your Rivals and Squad battles reward packs? Does it matter? If the rewards hit on Thursday at 5PM EDT is it better to wait until Friday at 5 EDT? When the new week starts or when a new event kicks off? Does it matter?
  • its recommended to wait friday 5pm ET with release of new cards and events
  • its recommended to wait friday 5pm ET with release of new cards and events

Yeah it's a wise decision.

My problem is to stand strong against the temptation to just let it rip.

But new event this friday so it's a good reason to wait.