EA Forums - Banner

Forces you to face the middle

Please allow us to toggle this. It takes away from the game.

Replies

• Yup, it's a constant fight to keep your players in 'balance'. I love to set up in the o-zone, I will never stop trying, but it sure aint easy...
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Yup, it's a constant fight to keep your players in 'balance'. I love to set up in the o-zone, I will never stop trying, but it sure aint easy...

You have to fight it sometimes. Makes the game have weird moments.
  • I brought this up a few years ago, maybe NHL 17? It's these "automatic" animations that frustrates me so much in this series. No one ever said at the time that this is default, so it's even more discouraging if what you are saying is true. Did Ben ever state a reason why it is intended this way?
  • Sega82mega
    3256 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Yup, it's a constant fight to keep your players in 'balance'. I love to set up in the o-zone, I will never stop trying, but it sure aint easy...

You have to fight it sometimes. Makes the game have weird moments.

If I got the time to adjust the player I usally can control him, but beacuse no one really seem to play defense how it suppose to be and instead burst all over the zone it's hard to find the peace to correct the player.

And if you receiving a hard pass from a player that was moving , that player that start from zero will have abit problem to stay in balance once he get the puck.

I think I kinda understand the procedure and the mechanics behind this, but I still wish it was abit more easy to take total control of it.
  • I brought this up a few years ago, maybe NHL 17? It's these "automatic" animations that frustrates me so much in this series. No one ever said at the time that this is default, so it's even more discouraging if what you are saying is true. Did Ben ever state a reason why it is intended this way?

@HockeyCityUSA

From Ben:

For the stops, it does favor facing the net for a base stop but it is supposed to favor your facing angle once it is beyond x degrees, so if you roll out ward and into the stop, it should work a great percentage of the time. It could be better. For pivots, we allow you to control the direction you turn now so that all pivots are towards the net but if you hold A first before pivoting you go to the protected puck direction (ie towards the boards instead of towards the net). We wanted to do this for stopping as well but the protect puck once you start pressing that way is a bit odd due to the protect puck mechanic itself and didn't work. Turning sharp towards the boards is your best bet and if you roll past 10 degrees before pulling down, it should stop facing the boards. I can get it 100 percent when I try it so it is a learned behavior to get what you want but I was able to reproduce your issue where if I tried to turn/roll a bit more subtle before asking for a stop, I turned inside. We could make it more sensitive but I believe a lot of players were saying they were accidentally getting it so that is why we made the change.
  • @EA_Aljo

Can you ask the team if this will ever be an option you can toggle and/or is modified? Ben's explanation makes sense it is just frustrating. Sometimes you do not have the luxury and time to make this small adjustment making your player face the middle and get dispossessed. Kinda creates unnecessary bunching.
  • EA_Aljo
    2706 posts EA Community Manager
    @EA_Aljo

Can you ask the team if this will ever be an option you can toggle and/or is modified? Ben's explanation makes sense it is just frustrating. Sometimes you do not have the luxury and time to make this small adjustment making your player face the middle and get dispossessed. Kinda creates unnecessary bunching.

We don't have any details on if this will change or not. It's not something we would be able to comment on until it's publicly announced. I have passed on the feedback though.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    @EA_Aljo

We don't have any details on if this will change or not. It's not something we would be able to comment on until it's publicly announced. I have passed on the feedback though.

Thanks again. It's not really the biggest deal just a minor thing.
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    @EA_Aljo

Thanks again. It's not really the biggest deal just a minor thing.

You're welcome. Thanks for the continued constructive feedback!

@HockeyCityUSA

From Ben:

For the stops, it does favor facing the net for a base stop but it is supposed to favor your facing angle once it is beyond x degrees, so if you roll out ward and into the stop, it should work a great percentage of the time. It could be better. For pivots, we allow you to control the direction you turn now so that all pivots are towards the net but if you hold A first before pivoting you go to the protected puck direction (ie towards the boards instead of towards the net). We wanted to do this for stopping as well but the protect puck once you start pressing that way is a bit odd due to the protect puck mechanic itself and didn't work. Turning sharp towards the boards is your best bet and if you roll past 10 degrees before pulling down, it should stop facing the boards. I can get it 100 percent when I try it so it is a learned behavior to get what you want but I was able to reproduce your issue where if I tried to turn/roll a bit more subtle before asking for a stop, I turned inside. We could make it more sensitive but I believe a lot of players were saying they were accidentally getting it so that is why we made the change.

Thanks for digging this up!

So basically, if I "protect the puck" in this situation, I should be able to turn to the boards if I am reading this correctly. I would have to agree with what @Stovetop9620 said, having the option to toggle would be great!

@HockeyCityUSA

From Ben:

So basically, if I "protect the puck" in this situation, I should be able to turn to the boards if I am reading this correctly. I would have to agree with what @Stovetop9620 said, having the option to toggle would be great!

@HockeyCityUSA

Yes. I did test this a bit via direction from Ben himself and it does work. Takes time to get used to. With the puck it is easier to do. It really requires practice though. I recommend going into free-skate and messing with it. Pre-possession this becomes a chore as you cannot totally control the receiver and you get the outcome I showed above. However, I still stand on the opinion that this extra step takes away from the flow a little and causes pucks to be put into skates that should never be. As I mentioned above though, this is very minor and isn't something that happens constantly. Once you understand the mechanic, you can mitigate it to some degree.

@EA_Aljo , since you cannot disclose information (I understand the reasonings for such), it would be greatly appreciated if you could pass on the idea of a toggleable option for this. I get, via his explanation, why this happens and why some players probably enjoy it. On the other side, if it is here to stay it would be nice if some of us could customize this "automatic" movement. The more ways we can make things manual, the better. For some of us at least. Personally, I would play this game entirely manual if given the option. Things like back skating is great to be able to toggle. Pass accuracy. Line changes. One timers.
    Etc.
  • EA_Aljo
    I brought this up a few years ago, maybe NHL 17? It's these "automatic" animations that frustrates me so much in this series. No one ever said at the time that this is default, so it's even more discouraging if what you are saying is true. Did Ben ever state a reason why it is intended this way?

@HockeyCityUSA

From Ben:

@HockeyCityUSA

Yes. I did test this a bit via direction from Ben himself and it does work. Takes time to get used to. With the puck it is easier to do. It really requires practice though. I recommend going into free-skate and messing with it. Pre-possession this becomes a chore as you cannot totally control the receiver and you get the outcome I showed above. However, I still stand on the opinion that this extra step takes away from the flow a little and causes pucks to be put into skates that should never be. As I mentioned above though, this is very minor and isn't something that happens constantly. Once you understand the mechanic, you can mitigate it to some degree.

@EA_Aljo , since you cannot disclose information (I understand the reasonings for such), it would be greatly appreciated if you could pass on the idea of a toggleable option for this. I get, via his explanation, why this happens and why some players probably enjoy it. On the other side, if it is here to stay it would be nice if some of us could customize this "automatic" movement. The more ways we can make things manual, the better. For some of us at least. Personally, I would play this game entirely manual if given the option. Things like back skating is great to be able to toggle. Pass accuracy. Line changes. One timers.
    Etc.

I have passed on the feedback for you. Thanks!
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    I brought this up a few years ago, maybe NHL 17? It's these "automatic" animations that frustrates me so much in this series. No one ever said at the time that this is default, so it's even more discouraging if what you are saying is true. Did Ben ever state a reason why it is intended this way?

@HockeyCityUSA

From Ben:

@HockeyCityUSA

Etc.

Thanks man, tell them to give you a raise for all of your diligence. lol
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

@HockeyCityUSA

From Ben:

@HockeyCityUSA

Etc.

Thanks man, tell them to give you a raise for all of your diligence. lol

You're welcome! Appreciate the kind words :)