EA Forums - Banner

Weird AI decision in the defensive zone with the puck

So, I will provide a video for this instance this evening. Curious if anyone else notices this. As usual, this is based off of gameplay from EASHL 6's. I would like to add that, in my opinion, I think the AI is pretty decent in EASHL 6's. They are pretty useless with the puck (as they should be offensively) unless it is an easy cross-crease and are manageable on defense. Say what you want about hustle down the wing, cross-crease, it can be shut down.

Scenario:

AI RD man gets the puck on the RW goal line. Begins to skate forward and start the breakout. Looks off a few passes (we are not the beaver-tapping folk) that would be easy (I.E. 10 foot support passes, curling center, etc.), faces forechecking pressure, curls back, still does not make a D to D pass or even dump high off the glass, skates himself into trouble and gets boardplayed and/or turns it over.

This happens very often in this mode. It's almost as if the AI refuses to go D to D. Not even passing it around the boards. Does not dump it off the glass.

@EA_Aljo , is there any information you can provide in regard to this? I do not have video yet and my explanation may be trash, but this is a flow-inhibitor.

Replies

• When I read the title I thought they added Weird Al Yankovic to the game. I don't think that's a stretch considering the gimmicks EA deploys... however, yeah I agree, I can't figure out what cues the A.I. to make simple passes. I've tried gliding, I've tried striding, being lower, being higher. They just love getting themselves into a pickle along the boards as often as possible. I'd even accept them just chipping it out (like they do IRL) as opposed to their usual routine that would have coaches at any level screaming their heads off.
  • When I read the title I thought they added Weird Al Yankovic to the game. I don't think that's a stretch considering the gimmicks EA deploys... however, yeah I agree, I can't figure out what cues the A.I. to make simple passes. I've tried gliding, I've tried striding, being lower, being higher. They just love getting themselves into a pickle along the boards as often as possible. I'd even accept them just chipping it out (like they do IRL) as opposed to their usual routine that would have coaches at any level screaming their heads off.

That is one thing I do not get. The AI does not dump high off the glass. It would be so nice if they did.
  • So, I will provide a video for this instance this evening. Curious if anyone else notices this. As usual, this is based off of gameplay from EASHL 6's. I would like to add that, in my opinion, I think the AI is pretty decent in EASHL 6's. They are pretty useless with the puck (as they should be offensively) unless it is an easy cross-crease and are manageable on defense. Say what you want about hustle down the wing, cross-crease, it can be shut down.

Scenario:

AI RD man gets the puck on the RW goal line. Begins to skate forward and start the breakout. Looks off a few passes (we are not the beaver-tapping folk) that would be easy (I.E. 10 foot support passes, curling center, etc.), faces forechecking pressure, curls back, still does not make a D to D pass or even dump high off the glass, skates himself into trouble and gets boardplayed and/or turns it over.

This happens very often in this mode. It's almost as if the AI refuses to go D to D. Not even passing it around the boards. Does not dump it off the glass.

@EA_Aljo , is there any information you can provide in regard to this? I do not have video yet and my explanation may be trash, but this is a flow-inhibitor.

The AI are rarely ever supporting each other to make the D to D pass. This is especially bad on the human team. Your AI defender will literally stand still in-front of your net, being 100% useless, while you’re self-escaping and trying to breakout lol. The breakout play is still really bad.
    When I read the title I thought they added Weird Al Yankovic to the game. I don't think that's a stretch considering the gimmicks EA deploys... however, yeah I agree, I can't figure out what cues the A.I. to make simple passes. I've tried gliding, I've tried striding, being lower, being higher. They just love getting themselves into a pickle along the boards as often as possible. I'd even accept them just chipping it out (like they do IRL) as opposed to their usual routine that would have coaches at any level screaming their heads off.

That is one thing I do not get. The AI does not dump high off the glass. It would be so nice if they did.

Only time they do this is on the PK where they have two guys breathing down the AI’s neck and he can someone make a one-touch, 180 spin backhanded flip dump off the high glass while your strong-side defensemen takes a few hard strides towards the middle just to ensure the puck is cleared.

This has existed in the same since like NHL 06 lol. Would love to see an update in the next decade.
  • EA_Aljo
    2704 posts EA Community Manager
    So, I will provide a video for this instance this evening. Curious if anyone else notices this. As usual, this is based off of gameplay from EASHL 6's. I would like to add that, in my opinion, I think the AI is pretty decent in EASHL 6's. They are pretty useless with the puck (as they should be offensively) unless it is an easy cross-crease and are manageable on defense. Say what you want about hustle down the wing, cross-crease, it can be shut down.

Scenario:

We'll have to pick this up again after the video is posted and reviewed. The AI behavior is determined by different variables. Strategies, positioning, pressure from opposing players, etc. We need to see the play to understand why they made the decision they did.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

Scenario:

We'll have to pick this up again after the video is posted and reviewed. The AI behavior is determined by different variables. Strategies, positioning, pressure from opposing players, etc. We need to see the play to understand why they made the decision they did.

@EA_Aljo , yeah I figured that much. I am taking a fun trip with the girl this weekend, when I get back I have a bunch of videos that show this in action.

For a quick start, I find that the AI refuses to dump off the glass unless they are on the half wall in the offensive zone...and, frankly, I find that to be the worst time for such a play. It would be nice if they did that in the defensive zone when they are under duress. Get some neutral zone battling going on.

I will post those on Sunday though and you guys can take a look. Thank you, as usual, for being the comms guy around here. I think they made the right decision taking the devs away from this and having you be the guy.
  • EA_Aljo
    2704 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Scenario:

@EA_Aljo , yeah I figured that much. I am taking a fun trip with the girl this weekend, when I get back I have a bunch of videos that show this in action.

For a quick start, I find that the AI refuses to dump off the glass unless they are on the half wall in the offensive zone...and, frankly, I find that to be the worst time for such a play. It would be nice if they did that in the defensive zone when they are under duress. Get some neutral zone battling going on.

I will post those on Sunday though and you guys can take a look. Thank you, as usual, for being the comms guy around here. I think they made the right decision taking the devs away from this and having you be the guy.

It's not that someone made the decision to take the devs away. The devs themselves aren't around as much due to various reasons. Being busy making the game is one of them, but as previously discussed, those conversations tend to devolve from the original intent of providing more insight into game mechanics to a lot of head-butting and accusations that what they're saying isn't true. Ben would spend a lot of time crafting long posts that were finely detailed, but they still drew responses of disbelief. When that happens it feels like a waste of time so it's better to gather feedback and consider it for future updates.

Enjoy your weekend. Sounds like a good one is in store! We'll review your videos next week and take things from there.
  • Seen this several times. The AI will literally trap themselves in their own zone instead of making an easy pass or clearing.