EA Forums - Banner

Make Sprinting Matter

Prev1
This game is absolutely plagued with smashing L3 as often as possible, to the point of where if you use it lots you literally break multiple controllers. 75% of the rushes, you have teammates using the sprint/hustle button to get up or down the ice. That's way too often. But why does this happen? Because endurance is way too high in this game. The recovery is way too high in this game.

Now why is this a bad thing? Well first off, it creates a disadvantage for defense and an advantage for forwards. Forwards can easily go full tilt because you can sprint going straight up with the puck, you can't sprint while backskating. Now is this a terrible thing all of the time? No. It's realistic, defenders do often have to pivot with offense to keep up. However the amount of times they have to do it is astronomically high.

There should be a tactic at when to use your top end speed, just like in real life. Connor McDavid doesn't go 100% for a vast majority of the game, he picks his spots and runs with it. Let's emulate that since we are playing a game that emulates the sport, hey? If guys are gonna be rookies and lay into the hustle button all of the time, make them pay for using it or make defenders pay for not using it appropriately.

Besides, you guys love skill gaps! Here's another opportunity at one!

Replies

• This game is absolutely plagued with smashing L3 as often as possible, to the point of where if you use it lots you literally break multiple controllers. 75% of the rushes, you have teammates using the sprint/hustle button to get up or down the ice. That's way too often. But why does this happen? Because endurance is way too high in this game. The recovery is way too high in this game.

Now why is this a bad thing? Well first off, it creates a disadvantage for defense and an advantage for forwards. Forwards can easily go full tilt because you can sprint going straight up with the puck, you can't sprint while backskating. Now is this a terrible thing all of the time? No. It's realistic, defenders do often have to pivot with offense to keep up. However the amount of times they have to do it is astronomically high.

There should be a tactic at when to use your top end speed, just like in real life. Connor McDavid doesn't go 100% for a vast majority of the game, he picks his spots and runs with it. Let's emulate that since we are playing a game that emulates the sport, hey? If guys are gonna be rookies and lay into the hustle button all of the time, make them pay for using it or make defenders pay for not using it appropriately.

I wish they had a stamina bar that depletes throughout the course of the game. If you use too much, you have none left at the end late in the third. It would be nice if they could create a way for this to be tactical rather than "go as fast as you can constantly".
  • This game is absolutely plagued with smashing L3 as often as possible, to the point of where if you use it lots you literally break multiple controllers. 75% of the rushes, you have teammates using the sprint/hustle button to get up or down the ice. That's way too often. But why does this happen? Because endurance is way too high in this game. The recovery is way too high in this game.

I wish they had a stamina bar that depletes throughout the course of the game. If you use too much, you have none left at the end late in the third. It would be nice if they could create a way for this to be tactical rather than "go as fast as you can constantly".

It's been a major gripe of mine for years and this year they've actually made it much worse. I can sprint end to end and by the time I get back to the defensive end I'm back at full stamina.

Like what???
  • Haha I know, it's crazy speed. But it has to do with the cross creases, people do anything with the controller to force that cross crease. It's getting out of hand.

Make speed useless, so we can start to enjoy this game for real.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Haha I know, it's crazy speed. But it has to do with the cross creases, people do anything with the controller to force that cross crease. It's getting out of hand.

There would be so many more cool moments if that was toned down a bit. It is hard to employ these cool, new offensive tactics when the speed is so high. If it was a bit slower, perhaps due to L3 abuse, you would be able to see a lot more of them because you'd have the time to do so.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Haha I know, it's crazy speed. But it has to do with the cross creases, people do anything with the controller to force that cross crease. It's getting out of hand.

There would be so many more cool moments if that was toned down a bit. It is hard to employ these cool, new offensive tactics when the speed is so high. If it was a bit slower, perhaps due to L3 abuse, you would be able to see a lot more of them because you'd have the time to do so.

Agree x1000!

Something I always wanted. Thats what the developers should want too, cause it can really be a so so good game, if it wasen't for this.

Abusive L3 mania!
  • Stamina needs to matter much more in EASHL. It’s why I’d love to see line changes, even if it just means you get your same build from the bench. Catching tired lines, icing the puck, getting caught changing are all part of the real sport. It’s another layer of strategy that should be in EASHL.
  • Stamina needs to matter much more in EASHL. It’s why I’d love to see line changes, even if it just means you get your same build from the bench. Catching tired lines, icing the puck, getting caught changing are all part of the real sport. It’s another layer of strategy that should be in EASHL.

Oh man I'm surprised I hadn't thought of that! That's a great idea! I hadn't thought of the idea to change into your same player or maybe have 3 different builds possibly?

That adds so much more depth to the mode too!
  • Oh my god could you imagine if they had it similar to NBA2k? Hahaha 3 different myPlayers, you could have a top line guy who could be up to like an 88 overall, and then a 2nd line guy that can be up to 84 and then a 4th line guy who it up to 80.

I'd lose so much time in my life if the game was balanced properly lol
  • I haven't destroyed a controller yet playing NHL from hustling too much. I'm thankful the important people aren't in favor of line changes in the EASHL.
  • Leckaroo
    88 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Stamina needs to matter much more in EASHL. It’s why I’d love to see line changes, even if it just means you get your same build from the bench. Catching tired lines, icing the puck, getting caught changing are all part of the real sport. It’s another layer of strategy that should be in EASHL.

I've been saying this for some time too but been told it isn't realistic enough. Guess 5on5 with no line changes and unlimited stamina was considered more realistic?
  • Stovetop9620
    455 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Follisimo wrote: »
    I haven't destroyed a controller yet playing NHL from hustling too much. I'm thankful the important people aren't in favor of line changes in the EASHL.

What is the deal with this consistent condescension?

Picking different builds and being forced to make line changes would add way too much strategy/depth to the game for the “competitive” scene.

They like complaining about their super clogged NZ and 2-1 games while simultaneously fighting every attempted change to open the game up and make it actually watchable/fun.

I refuse to watch "competitive" leagues anymore. Gave it a shot once. Noticed it was a bunch of whiners playing "who can exploit the game the most". If they are the "important" people then heaven help us all. Never once did I say, "Wow, nice play." It was usually, "Of course, tries the same thing every time. Pretty boring."
  • Leckaroo wrote: »
    Stamina needs to matter much more in EASHL. It’s why I’d love to see line changes, even if it just means you get your same build from the bench. Catching tired lines, icing the puck, getting caught changing are all part of the real sport. It’s another layer of strategy that should be in EASHL.

I've been saying this for some time too but been told it isn't realistic enough. Guess 5on5 with no line changes and unlimited stamina was considered more realistic?

The competitive community isn’t concerned with realism. They want a hockey game that’s more reminiscent of a 1890’s football game than a modern hockey game.

1-2 scores, painful to watch, no creativity, and little to zero offense is the name of the game baby!
  • Leckaroo wrote: »

The competitive community isn’t concerned with realism. They want a hockey game that’s more reminiscent of a 1890’s football game than a modern hockey game.

1-2 scores, painful to watch, no creativity, and little to zero offense is the name of the game baby!

We can't blame the game though. People are People. This game can be played in an un-nerd way.

To get back on topic, yes, make sprinting matter!
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    It would defenetly be the best most logic way to nerf cross creases. See what people will say then, if they take away the number 1 goal to go to.

But in that aspect, I would not cry if cross creases wasen't so obvious the best goal to go for, cause other then that, I haven’t suffer from short side snipes or D to D 1timers.

Might be a pretty balanced game with a good variation in the O-zone.

But for that to happen, they need to cut of the legs for thoose that only see a winning in sprinting. Force them to use other qualities.

* cross creases should be the best option when you do a breakout from your own zone, one chance to go for that.. When you take them of gaurd.. But the 'problem' is, if they not succeed in the first rush.. And your team is back in position, people still don't give up trying to force that goal.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    I haven't destroyed a controller yet playing NHL from hustling too much. I'm thankful the important people aren't in favor of line changes in the EASHL.

What is the deal with this consistent condescension?

I'm sorry I just simply don't agree with majority you on these forums majority of the time. Not my fault I tell you how it is and you refuse to see it. Look over the years it hasn't changed. But good for you with your wishful wants only to end in disappointment

I just don't see the reason you find it in you to be such a jerk to people you don't even know all the time. Seems like wasted energy. Maybe you just need a hug? I dunno. Disagreeing is one thing. Being rude is unnecessary.

I think it gets boring being in the right all the time, and seeing other people being so badly wrong?

In general, I think the game is way too fast.... maybe I am getting old (no maybe about it), but this seems even faster than NHl20... I dunno. It's seems people are constantly rushing everywhere, and puck is being poked this way and that. And if you try to slow it down, you just get trashed.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager
    Oh my god could you imagine if they had it similar to NBA2k? Hahaha 3 different myPlayers, you could have a top line guy who could be up to like an 88 overall, and then a 2nd line guy that can be up to 84 and then a 4th line guy who it up to 80.

Used to play MMORPGs a while back so I naturally like to roll multiple characters, so an idea like this sounds super interesting for Club play. Let's say this happened, would you force 3 different positions so an individual can't make 3 Centers? This way you'll have to be a well rounded player. I think it would add way more depth into the mode, but you'd have to be able to level up faster otherwise it could feel like a grind for those with limited time.

Also, it's alright to disagree with opinions here. If you do though, it goes a long way to go in depth as to "why" to keep threads on topic and allow the NHL team to better understand all types of perspectives.
    Oh my god could you imagine if they had it similar to NBA2k? Hahaha 3 different myPlayers, you could have a top line guy who could be up to like an 88 overall, and then a 2nd line guy that can be up to 84 and then a 4th line guy who it up to 80.

Used to play MMORPGs a while back so I naturally like to roll multiple characters, so an idea like this sounds super interesting for Club play. Let's say this happened, would you force 3 different positions so an individual can't make 3 Centers? This way you'll have to be a well rounded player. I think it would add way more depth into the mode, but you'd have to be able to level up faster otherwise it could feel like a grind for those with limited time.

Also, it's alright to disagree with opinions here. If you do though, it goes a long way to go in depth as to "why" to keep threads on topic and allow the NHL team to better understand all types of perspectives.

That is a darn good thought, @EA_Blueberry . This is just opinionated spit-balling, but maybe 2 characters? If you are a forward, you get 2 wingers (SNP/DNG & TWF)? A center can be a top line center (playmaker) and a second line center (TWF)? A D can run 2 (PMD & TWD)? Force people to play a two way game? I don't know. If that were to be added, with a stamina meter that slowly depletes, it would create a whole new level of strategy. "When do you use your offensive build vs your defensive build?" "When do you use hustle?" "Do you go for the kill early or play a more conservative game and save energy for the 3rd?"

Awesome thread. Hope it facilitates a gnarly discussion.

Oh man I'm surprised I hadn't thought of that! That's a great idea! I hadn't thought of the idea to change into your same player or maybe have 3 different builds possibly?

this has been talked about in the past. I think the only way it could work is to have a single build where you hop over board just as you enter the gate. Anything else would just be too involved. Would be cool.

get rid of hustle but have stamina deplete a little faster, recover slower and have line changes. I'm cool with that.

Although likely to lead to complains that you can't play anymore as a large player.

this has been talked about in the past. I think the only way it could work is to have a single build where you hop over board just as you enter the gate. Anything else would just be too involved. Would be cool.

get rid of hustle but have stamina deplete a little faster, recover slower and have line changes. I'm cool with that.

Although likely to lead to complains that you can't play anymore as a large player.

It would be so cool if there was a strategic element to "hustle" and usage of energy. It would help with injuries too. Get hurt, go get a change and you have to wait to use the next guy in line until he is healed.
  • Socair
    2815 posts Game Changer
    No more personal call outs guys. Keep it about the game.