EA Forums - Banner

What's up with goalie controls?

I got a nasty shock playing my first EASHL game as goalie. Why have you changed the controls as they are now?

Using left stick is almost like using the right now, the goalie moves far and fast, unlike in NHL20 where it was more careful. And right stick, well if you're not careful, you're flying out of the goal at mad speed?

Another questionable change I think is that now moving the right stick back, you don't get the stick against the ice animation (which was good for stopping errand pucks and five hole), and now you get a floppy trashing on your stomach, much like square + back is. So they're almost the same, except R back does this slight poke with the stick.

What the heck is this? Why did you make these changes?

Also, while turning your upper torso towards the puck is cool in itself, it's kinda weird when the opponent goes behind the goal and from one post to the other, so your still hugging the post kinda, but your torso is already twisting towards the other post.... I got my stick stuck on the net when doing this one time.

Replies

• Use alternate controls. Those are basically old school.
  • So far, I have liked the goalie controls. I agree though, @Sgt_Kelso , sometimes the post hug is a bit wonky. However, the butterfly has a touch of auto-position to it making it more useable in the right situations.

I have found that you should not use the right stick to slide unless it is a cross-crease. Butterflying works when you want to go 1 v 1 with a shooter. Also, sometimes when you drop to butterfly then try to slide, your goalie doesn't go very far. However, you have to force the slide by pressing the right stick and holding it longer. A few odd things happen but it seems better than 20. To me at least.
  • I guess it takes more playing, but to me the goalie seemed very floppy and unrooted in comparison with NHl20, where it was rather (too?) solid.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Also, I am not sure I like that they've combined the rankings of skater and goalie builds iin EASHL, diddn't they used to be separate?
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I got a nasty shock playing my first EASHL game as goalie. Why have you changed the controls as they are now?

Using left stick is almost like using the right now, the goalie moves far and fast, unlike in NHL20 where it was more careful. And right stick, well if you're not careful, you're flying out of the goal at mad speed?

Another questionable change I think is that now moving the right stick back, you don't get the stick against the ice animation (which was good for stopping errand pucks and five hole), and now you get a floppy trashing on your stomach, much like square + back is. So they're almost the same, except R back does this slight poke with the stick.

What the heck is this? Why did you make these changes?

Also, while turning your upper torso towards the puck is cool in itself, it's kinda weird when the opponent goes behind the goal and from one post to the other, so your still hugging the post kinda, but your torso is already twisting towards the other post.... I got my stick stuck on the net when doing this one time.

I always wanted the goalie movement from side to side type stuff put on a slider so we could find what we feel is our sweet spot. Granted you can change your player to have more or less speed but even with like 84 speed they still zoom around pretty fast at times. I feel the fast side to side movement is to combat the cross crease.

br7qqag8m393.jpg

• Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    You're probably right, and I noticed in my second game left stick movement in butterfly was much more controlled. Maybe I simply got used to it, or maybe lag affects it, or something?

Another cool thing to customize in addition to slide speed would be if you could choose which actions to include in your goalie buttons, so like if I wanted to keep the stick against ice thing, I could choose have it for R stick back it instead of the new one.