EA Forums - Banner

Wishlist for Be a Pro NHL 22

Prev13
Well, another EA NHL release and once again another disappointing year for Be a Pro.

While the new updates are a refreshing change from the old just play games format, I think we can all agree that there is much left to be desired out of a Be a Pro mode.

Instead of jumping on another hate train however, I figured I would take the opportunity to start a thread of things we would like to see added to next years be a pro. I have noticed in the other forum sections (WOC and HUT) that there are threads like this one pinned. I figured Be a Pro deserved the same and can only hope EA is actually paying attention here.

For me, A few Items that I think would make Be a Pro more engaging are:

- Let us play out our junior seasons.

Why this was removed I don't understand as they had no problem with the same repetitive challenges and teammate interactions popping up 6 years into your career. I don't see why I couldn't have played a couple extra seasons in Europe other than EA not wanting to code in all of the European cities my teammates will want me to go bowling in.

- Make it challenging

If someone wants to be an all star right after being drafted let them do it on pro difficulty. I shouldn't have 60 points in 19 games in my rookie year on superstar difficulty with gameplay on full sim. I like to think I'm pretty good at this game but I know I'm not that good as last year in Be a Pro my stats were good but no where near this in my rookie year.

- More of a progression system would be nice

Again there are some welcome changes that have been made, including the likeability meters. These meters however fill up before your rookie season ends and add no real reward or consequence to you character. Expanding on this system to have an affect on your ice time, line chemistry, and even potential to get traded if you are causing headaches for your management with your responses.

I could go on, But I feel this is a good start and would like to hear from all of you as to what you guys would like to see be implemented next year.

Replies

• SkylerJames13
    116 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    I 100% agree with everything you’ve said.

It’s definitely a shame the junior season was taken out. And how repetitive the challenges are. But they are a nice addition.. if they were done right.

Another feature that was removed, but would be nice to have again is the trade request feature. Also the newsfeed to see injuries, trades etc.

Another feature that would be nice to have, is having more than 2 teams offer contracts. The ability to negotiate in some form would be nice.

A feature that would be nice to have removed would be the hand holding and coddling the game does to you, in order to be the best player ever. It’s no fun, it takes away from the immersion and ruins the experience. Kids would like it I guess, but I really hope they aren’t going to throw away the rest of the fan base to appeal to the kids.

• @SkylerJames13

All great points, and thanks for keeping it constructive.

I've got lots of gripes about the game myself, but if posts about how bad the game are were going to change anything we would have one hell of a game by now haha. Hopefully a more constructive thread will reach the devs more than "this game is trash because of x" posts seem to.

Thanks for your feedback.
  • Nylander88TOR
    121 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Most Of this is not Gameplay issues but they are added at the end.

Nhl 22 be a pro

this is all in order from how you can create your player so everything is in order
    OVERHAUL THE PLAYER CREATION SYSTEM
    - More play by play names
    - we have a fighting tendency but nothing else, nice to have a penalty, shooting, passing, leadership tendencies (and anything else I'm missing)
    - Be able to have a relative feature, so if you create a custom player in the create a player mode you can choose to be like a brother or cousin, sorta like the Sedin twins, that way if you dish to your 'brother' the announcer will acknowledge the brother to brother goal
    - Being able to upload our face scans so that our players look like us in real life
    - Better hair, beard and eyebrow styles and hair colour, blonde is no longer blonde,( take a look at 17 then 20). and be able to have longer beard lengths for all
    - be able to not only chose shot style but the flex and curve
    - Be able to choose childhood team
    - Be able to choose an idol
    - Be able to customize goalie helmets

LEAGUE CHOOSING
    - Be able to start in other North American leagues
    - Be able to Start in college
    - Be able to not get drafted but go right into free agency depending on how many years in college we have chosen
    - Be Able to be at the draft and see who goes before you if not 1st and see the final draft

OVERALL/EXPERIENCE
    - Be able to pick what overall and potential of player we want,
    - Be able to move exp to a different area, say if you have 99 wrist shot accuracy in your third year (which happens too often for me) you can decrease it to 91 and add the 8 exp you took away and add it to your durability or shot power
    - Better training, there are some areas within overall that the training doesn't touch at all
    - Be able to attend a practice or do training exercises

PRESENTATION
    - Anthems
    - more in-game stats, etc.
    - Videos or a chance to skate around the ice if you are back in a city you've left in a trade or free agency
    - A better pre-game ceremony, add stuff like retiring or honouring alumni
    - Better Stanley Cup celebration more people on the ice skating around and talking with media
    - Acknowledgement from the announcer when records are broken and milestones are accomplished
    - It would be cool to have different announcers Along with the ones now, (E.g. Jim Houson and Craig Simpson, Bob Cole and his sidekick, (Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph are pretty electric I was sad when they left to do leafs radio))
    - The crowd seems dead most of the time, liven them up and have the chants right, it's not "Go Bruins Go" or "Go Devils Go" It's Lets go Devils" "Lets go Bruins"

INTERACTION
    - Add better interaction between coaches and agents
    - Add Interactions between teammates, rivals, media and fans
    - A better captaincy system, better leadership tendency means more likely to be chosen as a captain
    - Be able to choose when to retire and come out out of retirement especially if the team you got drafted by is poised to go into the playoffs
    - Endorsements from big brands
    - It would be nice to have more insiders than the white-haired guy we know nothing about
    - Line juggling in-game would be nice, if the team is down maybe You'll see Tavares, Matthews and Marner on the first line instead of Matthews, **** and Nylander.
    -

OTHER STUFF
    - Be able to practice with your team
    - Be able to participate in an All-Star game, Skills Competition and maybe 3 games in the offseason to play with players you wouldn't normally play with, sorta like a game of outdoor/indoor shinny or something like an NHL fundraiser tournament
    - Be able to have a house with things like a gym, mini rink, hot-tube and things that could help with your player during the off-season.
    - Have the Olympics, and world cup of hockey and outdoor games
    - Add the real NHL AND AHL coaches.

TRADING/FREE AGENCY/ Contract
    - Make trading a little more customizable, like no-trade clause and teams you're interested in.
    - Make a trade deadline window that lasts 10 min and alerts you of trades and things
    - Make free agency more fun, with multiple offers and ability to say yes or no to (E.G. Willie Nylander) ability to go back and forth with money and term and the ability to go play somewhere else for a year or two or more (E.G. Jagr, Kovalchuk) (in leagues like SHL, Liiga, ETC.)
    - Have bonuses that are apart of your contract

Stats, ETC.
    - Be able to view a list of awards you've won in all leagues
    - Be able to see Pro junior stats
    - Be able to see a top 100 all-time stats
    - Be Able to see a record book with lots of records, even the crazy ones and be able to beat them, like Willie Nylander's tying of the fastest goal scored in overtime
    - Have stats like Giveaway's in the Defensive zone, advanced stats like that.

GAMEPLAY
    - All of it needs to be overhauled... Nuff said
    - Tendencies like Shot, Passing, blocking, ETC. will be better for players like Auston Matthews, Patrick Laine and other young star Players rated around 90 during simulations, I think It's wrong that a 40 goal scorer like Auston Matthews is only getting 24 goals and 63 points at the end of a be a pro season, Especially playing beside guys like Nylander, Marner Tavares, Reilly and others. Also, Marner has as good a shot as Auston Matthews, a little overrated on Marner's side.
    - I also don't like how a team like the Leafs are bottom of the Atlantic stands to much, and One line Boston is winning the Stanley Cup all the time, I feel like it preset what teams are going to win no matter what the roster is like.
    - I feel like it's really hard to protect the puck, I'm always losing it in weird situations and off of stupid bumps, Like going the middle and have the guy push me from behind and my guy stops skating altogether.
    - Poke checks are weird too Like my poke checking the puck and the guy gets it right back.
    - Shot blocking needs better animations, don't like dropping like a dead fish and tripping the other team
    - The rating system needs to be better, Marner shouldn't have a better shot than Matthews.
    - Be able to upload past Be A Pro and Franchises to the new games

OVERALL/EXPERIENCE
    - Be able to pick what level of player we want (60-65 for those who want to be an under average player 65-70 for average players, 70-75 for superstar players, these numbers for if the 17-year-old option is taken if you pick any younger take away 5 from all numbers)
    - Be able to move exp to a different area, say if you have 99 wrist shot accuracy in your third year (which happens too often for me) you can decrease it to 91 and add the 8 exp you took away and add it to your durability or shot power

PRESENTATION
    - Add locker room shots
    - Anthems
    - more in-game stats, etc.
    - Be able to be at the draft
    - Be able to go to the award ceremony
    - Videos or a chance to skate around the ice if you are back in a city you've left in a trade or free agency
    - A better pre-game ceremony, add stuff like retiring or honouring alumni
    - Better Stanley Cup celebration more people on the ice skating around and talking with media
    - Acknowledgement from the announcer when records are broken and milestones are accomplished
    - It would be cool to have different announcers Along with the ones now, (E.g. Jim Houson and Craig Simpson, Bob Cole and his sidekick, (Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph are pretty electric I was said when they left to do leafs radio))

INTERACTION
    - Add better interaction between coaches and agents
    - Add Interactions between teammates, rivals, media and fans
    - A chemistry system between all people
    - A better captaincy system, better leadership tendency means more likely to be chosen as a captain
    - Be able to choose when to retire and come out out of retirement especially if the team you got drafted by is poised to go into the playoffs
    - Endorsements from big brands

OTHER STUFF
    - Be able to practice with your team
    - Be able to participate in an All-Star game, Skills Competition and maybe 3 games in the offseason to play with players you wouldn't normally play with, sorta like a game of outdoor/indoor shinny mode within be a pro
    - Be able to have a story mode maybe
    - Be able to have a house with things like a gym, mini rink, hot-tube and things that could help with your player during offseason injuries, etc.
    - Have the Olympics, and world cup of hockey and outdoor games
    - Add the real NHL AND AHL coaches.

TRADING/FREE AGENCY/ Contract
    - Make trading a little more customizable, like no-trade clause and teams you're interested in.
    - Make a trade deadline window that lasts 10 min and alerts you of trades and things
    - Make free agency more fun, with multiple offers and ability to say no (E.G. Willie Nylander) ability to go back and forth with money and term and the ability to go play somewhere else for a year or two or more (E.G. Jagr, Kovalchuk)
    - Have bonuses that are apart of your contract
    - If you Ride free agency and you don't like any of the teams that contacted you then be able to choose a team to try out within the Pre-season

Stats, ETC.
    - Be able to view a list of awards you've won in all leagues
    - Be able to see Pro junior stats while in the NHL
    - make the record book more expansive, even the crazy ones and be able to beat them, like Willie Nylander's tying of the fastest goal scored in overtime

GAMEPLAY
    - All of it needs to be overhauled...
    - Tendencies like Shot, Passing, blocking, ETC. will be better for players like Auston Matthews, Patrick Laine and other young star Players rated around 90 during simulations, I think It's wrong that a 40 goal scorer like Auston Matthews is only getting 24 goals and 63 points at the end of a be a pro season, Especially playing beside guys like Nylander, Marner Tavares, Reilly and others. Also, Marner has as good a shot as Auston Matthews, a little overrated on Marner's side.
    - It seems like certain teams are scripted, Tampa almost never won the cup in simulations in NHL 20, and in NHL21 it seems like they win it 25 percent of the time!
    - better animations for defence, board play and tripping calls, every time I poke the player's skates from behind he shouldn't drop dead like a drama queen.

If Anything is already in NHL 21, I made this before it came out and did a quick edit for NHL22 Wishlist.
  • Nylander88TOR
    121 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    I don't know why it "pumpkined" Zach H-y-m-a-n
  • mightymidget414
    60 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    I think this years installment of BAP was a huge step forward, I had previously made the decision in the last few years to not buy the new game every year until they actually made a good game, and it wasn't just a roster update. NHL 21 and BAP made me think twice about that this year. Although there are still areas for improvement...
    I want to start by saying thankyou to EA for finally listening to us.
    The off ice interactions definitely need some work, actually talking with voice actors would be nice, or just more engaging conversations/interactions. Full Junior seasons again is a must. I would LOVE to see international tournaments such as world juniors, Olympics, world championships, U18's, world cup of hockey etc. But only if you are actually good enough, I don't want to make it just for the sake of story line. It would be neat to go to a tryout/training camp as well, same for the NHL in the preseason. I would really like to see the NCAA route in the game too.
    If you want to see how to make a BAP just look at 2k, it is pretty much exactly what we want. It has so much depth and realism, as well as being very engaging.
    Post edited by mightymidget414 on
  • I think you should be able to change the length of your haircut like you can with beards. It is hard to find the right hairstyle, sometimes it looks good but it's too long or too short, so if you could change the length of any haircut you could get a pretty close to perfect fit.
    This is a little off topic but you should also be able to change your skin color, because I often find a good face but its too light or too dark so being able to change skin colors would be nice.
  • I would like to be able to do manual line changes in BaP using the hybrid controls. It says you can, by holding R2+circle/square, but it does not work. Sometimes the computer leaves me in there and I'm exhausted and can't get off. I have trouble checking with the skill stick so this would be great. It would be great to be able to map your own controls. Also I wish they would change the game sliders where it would only affect your created player and not the whole AI teammates. And be able to practice with your created player to gain experience. I wish you could gain poise by other means, not just age or trait points. I get "you show grate poise with the puck" by the coach so my poise should go up. also if your in a big game and you do good by not getting nervous or such, your poise should go up some. maybe a point or two. then more as you get older and more years in the league. this also go for the reverse as well. if you get blasted so many times or blow a most certain shot, it goes down.
  • Also I wish they would give you the option to drop the gloves on a big hit like the AI. Every time I do a big hit it automatically drops the gloves. Lets have that option.
  • jprovo1 wrote: »
    I would like to be able to do manual line changes in BaP using the hybrid controls. It says you can, by holding R2+circle/square, but it does not work. Sometimes the computer leaves me in there and I'm exhausted and can't get off. I have trouble checking with the skill stick so this would be great. It would be great to be able to map your own controls. Also I wish they would change the game sliders where it would only affect your created player and not the whole AI teammates. And be able to practice with your created player to gain experience. I wish you could gain poise by other means, not just age or trait points. I get "you show grate poise with the puck" by the coach so my poise should go up. also if your in a big game and you do good by not getting nervous or such, your poise should go up some. maybe a point or two. then more as you get older and more years in the league. this also go for the reverse as well. if you get blasted so many times or blow a most certain shot, it goes down.

Poise is the ability to perform well in situations, so if you're guy has high poise he'll do well in the playoffs
  • Sorry, Just saw this and ended up posting a similar thread already
  • I would like to have more camera options. as you can see in the first video the camera stays behind the player but follows the puck. this, at least for me, helps in seeing more of where players are to the puck, better shot placement, better passing (at least for me) ( but as you can see in the second video, the camera changes to a low position and only follows the player going in one direction ( I lose where the puck is and where other players are. I wish the camera would stay like the first video but only change for the situation. example would be if I had to cover a point man the camera would stay on puck most of the time but if the guy moves (in conjunction with the on ice trainer) then it would 'glance' to where the player went but go back to the puck. this would help in case I had to go to the net to cover another guy. another is if I'm going off for a line change then I would be facing the bench to get off. what do ya think.
  • jprovo1
    14 posts Member
    edited March 13
    the only thing I see is actually the passing. there needs to be a way to 'see' where you are going to pass it. it's good if the player is right in front of you or slightly to the sides but if he's way on the other boards you can't see him cause the camera stays on the puck. I got it picked off a lot because of that. not sure how that can be done but it would be great.
  • EA_Aljo
    3020 posts EA Community Manager
    jprovo1 wrote: »
    I would like to have more camera options. as you can see in the first video the camera stays behind the player but follows the puck. this, at least for me, helps in seeing more of where players are to the puck, better shot placement, better passing (at least for me) ( but as you can see in the second video, the camera changes to a low position and only follows the player going in one direction ( I lose where the puck is and where other players are. I wish the camera would stay like the first video but only change for the situation. example would be if I had to cover a point man the camera would stay on puck most of the time but if the guy moves (in conjunction with the on ice trainer) then it would 'glance' to where the player went but go back to the puck. this would help in case I had to go to the net to cover another guy. another is if I'm going off for a line change then I would be facing the bench to get off. what do ya think.

Try switching to Zone or Overhead. That would let you see more of the ice and be able to better judge passing, strategies, player switching, etc.
  • I want realistic Coaching Strategies
    I want Coaching Strategies 10.0
    I want out of town scores
    I want Realistic Goalie Animations
    I want realistic Player Animations
    I want better fluidity
    I want smoother Graphics
    I want HDR
    I want NHL 22-32 on Xbox Series X with 120 FPS and I want it also on 8k Resolution
    I want realistic Graphics
    I want better player models
    I want better facial expressions
    I want player creativity with puck and soft hands and alot north south style of game
    I want Sliders to go to 200
    I want Expanded AI learning 10.0
    I want Expanded Attribute Effects to 20
    I want Better Defensive Strategies
    I want Better Defending
    I want all strategies 10.0
    I want better sound quality
    I want Slap shot and One timer and Wrist Shot and Back hand and snap and cycling animations 20.0
    I want everything optimized for newer consoles
    I want powerplay strategies 10.0
    I want all coaching and line strategies expanded to 20.0 more added
    I want more goalie stances 20.0
    I want more shot styles: slap shot and wrist shot and back hand and snap shot
    I want skating animations styles 10.0

I also want

Slider tendency sliders too
  • jprovo1
    14 posts Member
    edited March 19
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Try switching to Zone or Overhead. That would let you see more of the ice and be able to better judge passing, strategies, player switching, etc.

I usually have it on dynamic high but it's hard to see a lot of the passing lanes or where I wanna poke check/stick lift. I have tried all the camera angles and I just like this one the best but like I said I wish it would not switch. if I'm not mistaken you all had a NHL game in years past that had a camera view like that (almost first person) but was gone the next year. I can't remember which one but it's been a LONG time. oh and as far as player switching, I'm playing Be A Pro.
  • EA_Aljo
    3020 posts EA Community Manager
    jprovo1 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

I usually have it on dynamic high but it's hard to see a lot of the passing lanes or where I wanna poke check/stick lift. I have tried all the camera angles and I just like this one the best but like I said I wish it would not switch. if I'm not mistaken you all had a NHL game in years past that had a camera view like that (almost first person) but was gone the next year. I can't remember which one but it's been a LONG time. oh and as far as player switching, I'm playing Be A Pro.

I don't recall a first-person camera for BAP, but it's also a mode I rarely play and using anything but Zone or Overhead is too restricting for me. However, you can focus the camera on the puck only. On Xbox, hit the View button (the small one to the left of the Guide button). On PS4/5, I believe you tap and hold the touchpad on the back.
  • ok thanks
  • I want realistic Coaching Strategies
    I want Coaching Strategies 10.0
    I want out of town scores
    I want Realistic Goalie Animations
    I want realistic Player Animations
    I want better fluidity
    I want smoother Graphics
    I want HDR
    I want NHL 22-32 on Xbox Series X with 120 FPS and I want it also on 8k Resolution
    I want realistic Graphics
    I want better player models
    I want better facial expressions
    I want player creativity with puck and soft hands and alot north south style of game
    I want Sliders to go to 200
    I want Expanded AI learning 10.0
    I want Expanded Attribute Effects to 20
    I want Better Defensive Strategies
    I want Better Defending
    I want all strategies 10.0
    I want better sound quality
    I want Slap shot and One timer and Wrist Shot and Back hand and snap and cycling animations 20.0
    I want everything optimized for newer consoles
    I want powerplay strategies 10.0
    I want all coaching and line strategies expanded to 20.0 more added
    I want more goalie stances 20.0
    I want more shot styles: slap shot and wrist shot and back hand and snap shot
    I want skating animations styles 10.0

I also want

Slider tendency sliders too

This is a perfect statement for the gameplay side of things!! We need all of this. Fluidity, smoother graphics, better face animations etc.
    Definitely improved strategies, especially on the power play as no one really does an umbrella or powerplay breakout and it is hard to set up (The defense doesn't really do that realistic of a box either). Adding the option to choose from a few different powerplay/penalty kill strategies and formations, as well as breakouts. Also, just upgrading the strategies in general as I don't really feel like I am playing in the NHL some of the times because there don't seem to be a lot of strategies, or hockey IQ to the game.
    Definitely better player/goalie animations. One of the things for me right now is that the movements just don't look realistic so it is hard to get engaged. Movements are often choppy and not smooth, especially when using a deke it's like you active it and your player moves into a different position immediately to do the deke, instead of smoothly adjusting from the position your player is already in to execute the deke from there. If they could improve the player animations and movements to make the game much more smooth, this would make it much more realistic and improve the engagement immensely.
  • mightymidget414
    60 posts Member
    edited April 2
    I would like to see just more engagement to the game so you feel attached and invested to you career and player, especially of the ice. I would like to see more interactions off and on the ice with real verbal commentary. The addition of adding items you could buy was neat but it would be better if you could actually use or see them. I don't really like how you could buy stats through them. Especially since a bunch of it made no sense. (Buying a Ferrari isn't going to make me suddenly have a wicked slapper).
    Definitely need more time in the Juniors, I like the option of a shorter junior career with the memorial cup but we also need the option to do a full season as we had in the past. We NEED events like World Juniors, Olympics, World Cup, World Championship, All Star Game/skills completion, and end of the year Awards show. But I don't want to just automatically make it on these teams or to these events as part of the story line, I want to earn it. If I don't play good enough in junior, I don't get on the world juniors team.
    I often find with career game modes with a story line, that the story line is forced and I don't have much control or say over the path of my career, other than my point totals and outcomes of games etc. I want my career to have interactions and story lines outside of playing the games, but I wat these to be as a result of what I do, not just reaching a certain point in the story line. I want the story line to be unique and different like it would be in real life and not feel forced and have the same outcome as everyone else.
  • oldmandoom
    3 posts New member
    All they did was add some useless dialogue options with a few extra voiceover lines and slapped a "New and Improved" sticker on BAP. What a crock! I have so many suggestions I could write a book, but for the sake of brevity, I'll list just a few of my top gripes with this sorry excuse of a hockey game.

1. Bring back the AHL. Being called up and sent down periodically in a player's early career is common and adds a much-needed layer of realism.

2. Make playing goalie fun. Currently, playing a goalie is extremely frustrating, I've spent well over a hundred hours playing a goalie and could dedicate an entire post to this topic alone. RNG with not getting a "save animation" and AI "catch up mode" (yes EA! It exists! no matter how much you deny it, all your sports games have it!) coupled with the severe imbalance of shots on goal between the opponent(not enough) and AI teammates(far too many) are just a couple of the top problems.

3. TRIPPING PENALTIES! For the love of God, has anyone on the dev team actually watched a hockey game?
    Poke checking in this game is atrocious, just because we're not right smack dab in front of the puck carrier when we try to get the puck away from them that doesn't mean there should be a penalty. In real hockey, players swat, whack and jab at each other from all angles, with just a fraction of penalties called compared to this sorry excuse of a game. This brings me to my final point.

4. Better defensive gameplay. This game wholly caters to the Gretzky wannabes, who think they should score every time they touch the puck. They get a full bevy of dekes, wrist shots, slapshots, trick shots, I could go on and on. What does a defenseman get? A broken **** poke check mechanic and a 'tie-up' animation if you can actually catch someone standing perfectly still in front of the net. Defensive players need more tangible control mechanics.