EA Forums - Banner

The META

Prev13
Stovetop9620
455 posts Member
edited November 2020
So at this point I've played about 70 games in EASHL. Division 3 currently. I'm not a no-lifer by any stretch.

The META is: tap, tap, tap, puck gets passed by players who struggle intercepting, hustle down the wing, try for a cross-crease.

Not really debating stopping this. Simply asking this question: is this really fun?

I think the game is better than 20. However, my next question is: how is playing offense this way nerfed by a "skill gap"?

It takes 0 skill to play thay way and, not coincidently, 95% of players do that and "the best" will exploit this into oblivion.

On defense, there is definitely a skill-gap and I like it. On offense, according to the META, there is no skill gap.

Please discuss. In my opinion, this needs to be addressed or else this game, like the last, will get boring really fast.

Replies

• Sega82mega
    3267 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    I have been getting bored of the opponent's way of play sence surely 5 years back... Thats why it's so importen for me to be able to play my own way of hockey.. I refuse to do the same way, even if it will mean I give up some easy wins.

But yes, I hope there's soon will be nothing left of that meta that means hustle down the wing, and try for a cross-crease. It feels so stupid, to know it's coming but still not be able to stop it, in the long run.

The day it won't work anymore, alot(!) of people will have to find a new way to win games.

*And I still think 21 can be really good with the right patch... It's not that far away to be able to stop thoose hustle down the wing meta dudes. I will for sure enjoy every minute, the day you can destroy teams that dont really come up with anything new, as a offensive weapon.
  • They clearly adjusted something with the pass interceptions from NHL 20. With proper tuning, interceptions worked AMAZINGLY in 20. Now you can't even tune them right even if you jack up the tuner for pass interceptions to 100. They broke it. And now I'm assuming they're just trying to fix it.
  • Defensive accountability is great, just need even an ounce of offensive accountability and maybe online will be playable next generation. Super Chex rocket air hockey isn’t for me.
  • Defensive accountability is great, just need even an ounce of offensive accountability and maybe online will be playable next generation. Super Chex rocket air hockey isn’t for me.

This is where I am at now, @untouchable_BF1 :

I think the defensive accountability factor is awesome. Being a solid defender in 21 is back to being what it used to be...worth it's weight in gold. If you are good, you are a tough customer. If you are bad, then you get torched.

Offensive accountability is a joke. On defense you have to be super precise. On offense, the ONLY thing you need to be good at is hustling down the wing. People hardly even cut to the middle anymore.

The game is better but the META is awful. Why not reward a cycle? Why not force forwards to be as perfect as defenders?

We talk about skill gaps a lot around here. Well, there is no skill gap to be a forward in this game. Just a mastery of the deficiencies of the game.
  • Sega82mega
    3267 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    offensive accountability should have to do with how you work the ice. Just as it is for defense.
    To pull every other player out of position in a frenzy forecheck should not count as a good tactic.

If I even should call it forecheck, more tom & Jerry forecheck.
  • I dunno. I notice in EASHL when I play with a team that actually knows how to gap control, and we don’t have 3 forwards too deep so at least one or two can set up to help defend the rush, the straight lining isn’t a problem. I lick my lips when I see it’s three little Forwards on the other side. I know we will dominate

• I dunno. I notice in EASHL when I play with a team that actually knows how to gap control, and we don’t have 3 forwards too deep so at least one or two can set up to help defend the rush, the straight lining isn’t a problem. I lick my lips when I see it’s three little Forwards on the other side. I know we will dominate

Unfortunately, it is only my brother and I in 6's right now. I play G sometimes as well. None of my friends got it this year
  • cross crease and one-timer make the game balanced. you just need how to play defense against them
  • cross crease and one-timer make the game balanced. you just need how to play defense against them

So, seeing the same play every rush is balance? Sure. I mean, I can play defense against it. That doesn't mean it isn't crap.

So, seeing the same play every rush is balance? Sure. I mean, I can play defense against it. That doesn't mean it isn't crap.

If you see a cross-crease play "every rush" then you're not defending it.

I stop it usually. We only have 2 of us in 6's right now. Hard to be everywhere as a C. As a goalie, it is usually pretty easy to anticipate too.

It is the go-to play for a reason though. It is easy to win but the re-playability will not last. I promise you that. At some point, this will turn stale if this is all you see. Something is off when I play defense and force guys to the middle.

You see it every rush because most people who play this are bad...really bad and will take the path of least resistance. Winning means nothing to me. The game, itself, is what matters.
  • Winning isn't all for me either, but I think thats something I always have with me, to win, so I have to remind myself that winning is not that importen. It's more about how I play when I win or loose.

But I can not help to feel abit of frustration sometimes, I can feel I know how to use all our tools pretty good, the skating, dekes, shots, passes, and to play tight defense (poke/DSS and positioning with help of L2) and a good variation in my offensive. Then this guy comes, that I obviously is better then, when it comes to alot of individual levels, but he like to skate with he's guy lafleur on the wing and look for that cross crease, no mather how good I defend it, 1 or 3 might slip through, and I lose with 2-3..to this guy that only force that same play.. He hasnt a clue whats happens in he's own zone, but he's A.I and rebounds he manage to be in the way for.. Save him.. So that he can get away that pass to the wing.. And fly away.. .

I never turn away from the play, I challenge my opponent's all the time, he constantly turn away from me.. Everytime im close to him.. I have to wait for them to come, and they don't do it unless they got the puck on the wing in full power.

This kinda games happens all the time.. And it's hard to remind myself that winning is not all when you feel you deserve a better destiny for at least trying to play the real side of hockey.

But I guess I cant have them both, winning and to play a fun, genuine hockey, cause the higher you get, the less fun I have.

I stop it usually. We only have 2 of us in 6's right now. Hard to be everywhere as a C. As a goalie, it is usually pretty easy to anticipate too.

It is the go-to play for a reason though. It is easy to win but the re-playability will not last. I promise you that. At some point, this will turn stale if this is all you see. Something is off when I play defense and force guys to the middle.

You see it every rush because most people who play this are bad...really bad and will take the path of least resistance. Winning means nothing to me. The game, itself, is what matters.

This is why I play offline. Even if the AI aren’t very different game to game, I as a user can dictate what plays I look for/try to execute. I don’t have fun simply exploiting the same plays over and over so I try to build sliders around goal variety and using completely unassisted passing so even “money plays” require perfect execution by me.
  • most people who play this are bad...really bad and will take the path of least resistance.

Exactly why people see 2-on-1's all game long.. they think defending begins at their blue line. But it doesn't.
  • most people who play this are bad...really bad and will take the path of least resistance.

Exactly why people see 2-on-1's all game long.. they think defending begins at their blue line. But it doesn't.

About 80% of the time I can disrupt this. I play a decent 2 way game as a C. The problem is, though, that I refuse to not attack all game. These 2 on 1's you speak of start out as 2 on 2's, 3 on 3's, etc. All you have to do is:

click r-stick, hustle, skate as fast as possible down the wing on a slight angle, and you blow by defenders. This works both ways. However, I am the only person who plays EASHL, apparently, who uses the slip dekes and chip dekes...and boy oh boy do I crush people with them.

We set our strategies to be super aggressive, for the AI, and that does have some sort of impact. The problem is that this style by forwards:

A. Requires no skill what so ever
    B. If you do it enough, let's say 30 times, you can be rewarded for it in the off chance either myself or my brother isn't playing 2 way (I.E. attacking to try and score and a quick turnover happens).
    C. 2 on 1's are not an automatic goal...but they are now. It hurts my soul to score these goals, personally.

On defense, there is a real, legit skill gap. As a forward, that skill gap is a total joke. Would be nice if the penalty for mistakes was even on both sides of the puck. That is all I am saying. Make forwards pay for not being perfect...like you must be as a defender.

V e r y t r u e.

I hope EA can get this message even more clear, for the future.
  • To return to my initial questions because debating the validity/ability to stop this is NOT the issue:

1. Is this really "fun"?
    and
    2. Where is the offensive skill gap?

against AI goalies its by FAR the most consistent way to score. there's a few other ways to exploit goalies to pull them off near post, to get them to go down butterfly when you shoot it upstairs, to keep them stuck near post so you can go far post. i only call it exploit because its basically 100% success rates. In 6s with human goalies its obviously a different story. not that human goalies are great but even in drop ins i've seen some elite guys with purple badges constantly stopping really well setup plays and individual scoring efforts alike. but then sometimes you just can't do anything and even good goalies let in some easy shots sometimes. thats the sweet spot if you ask me. thats where this game feels its most realistic.

what i kind of like right now defensively, in theory, you want to defend 3 people working together to score you need at least 3 people to defender. No longer can a good dman/center, stand in the slot, defending against the shooter and multiple scorers looking for a pass in slot/crease/backdoor scenarios because they poke/check shooter/passer and intercept most passes through the slot all at once just by standing there.

but in practice it still definitely feels like offense is OP in this situations. You need to basically play man to man now. its still very easy to score solo, passes get through easier and one timers are as easy than ever. if you get 3 guys attack around the net that know what they are doing you are going to be very hard to stop them unless you have at least 3 defenders that really know how to play defense well.

i've not played or even seen any high level 6s games in 21. but I assume thats what you see. if you see average teams playing defense you likely see guys eventually getting pulled out of position, even a little and easy scoring chances. but can't really comment on what I haven't seen.

long story short there are some improvements to defense but overall its not any easier, in fact likely more difficult to be successful. that can be fulfilling but overall I believe it leaves more frustrated people and less people playing.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1654 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    To return to my initial questions because debating the validity/ability to stop this is NOT the issue:

1. Is this really "fun"?
    and
    2. Where is the offensive skill gap?

Once the player-base catches up to the defensive META (ie: preventing/slowing breakouts in the neutral zone) then it will force offensive players to find different avenues to score.

Personally - I am having fun shutting down one-dimensional opponents using proper defence.

Do I screw up sometimes and get a cross-crease scored on me? Yup.

Do I understand and admit my own faults in why they happen? Yup.

Do I use the cross-crease versus an opponent who keeps letting me do it? Yup.

Do I utilize other ways to score once my opponent has come to his senses defensively? You betcha.

I think the people "not having fun" are the ones who are getting bit by the cross-crease bug over and over and blaming the game for it rather than taking the steps to adapt defensively.

Not a popular opinion, I know - but often times the truth isn't popular.
  • Puck interceptions are in a horrible spot for defence in my opinion. They removed the ability to just block your opponent and get some incidental pick up, and now that transitional speed was nerfed, the D men have no choice but to hang wayyy back and not be a part of any meaningful plays.

Shot and pass blocking are painfully showing their age with how stiff your character is and now minimal your range of 3D movement really is. Pucks just go right through you, even with near perfect positioning.

I understand the team removed some auto functions because players complained, but the ofense is still able to make insane no-look passes and deflect the puck easier with newer animations. The goalie is still absolute bumcheeks so there is very little point in being a D - you'd be better off just winning games by outscoring your opponent (you know what I mean)