EA Forums - Banner

Let's Talk: Tips & Tricks (VIDEO)

EA_Blueberry
3882 posts EA Community Manager
edited November 2020
Hey, NHL Community!

This week, we'll throw up the feet to watch a video on NHL 21 Tips & Tricks. The video creator highlights his thoughts on NHL 21's AI with both offensive and defensive pro tips. Let's give this a watch and discuss your thoughts on his positions we've outlined below. We've noticed several large threads around cross-crease goals in these forums in the last couple weeks. We want to let you know we're making sure the team is aware of your concerns by expressing your feedback to them weekly. It's part of our role as Forum Community Managers to recognize hot topics here and to ensure those specific threads are sent over to the development team to be cognizant of. We can't thank you enough for the constructive feedback you deliver here on the forums.
  • Do you feel players cycle the puck enough to set up shots and do you agree with the video creator on cross-crease goals?
  • Offensive Pro Tip: Shielding the puck. Do you agree it's the most dominant puck possession tactic and harder for opponent to poke-check it from you? If you don't agree, what do you recommend?
  • Defensive Pro Tip: Stick with your man. The AI is improved and focus on where your defensive player is supposed to be and who to cover. What's your top defensive pro tips?

Enjoy the video and outside of the community's wants or concerns, these forums are also an invaluable resource for players just starting to lace up their skates here on the ice for the first time in the NHL franchise, so discussions like this make for a great post where NHL veterans can reply with their "Pro Tips" as the video creator did. Let's Talk Tips & Tricks!

Post edited by EA_Blueberry on

Replies

• This is what I feel is a good tips.

I read a thread on reddit yesterday regarding player switching, I always known you can do manual switching, but I dont know, still didn't do enough for me to keep it as a habit.

But I also read how you can push R2 + RS(click) and you get control over the player that closest to the net.

And I thought I might give this a try, and I did today, must say I like it, once you get in right rhythm with this method, it works pretty good.

Im not as vulnerable against odd man rushes and gets to affect my defense in a higher rate.

Might not work for everyone, but might be worth a shot.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    This is what I feel is a good tips.

I read a thread on reddit yesterday regarding player switching, I always known you can do manual switching, but I dont know, still didn't do enough for me to keep it as a habit.

But I also read how you can push R2 + RS(click) and you get control over the player that closest to the net.

And I thought I might give this a try, and I did today, must say I like it, once you get in right rhythm with this method, it works pretty good.

Im not as vulnerable against odd man rushes and gets to affect my defense in a higher rate.

This works 50% of the time.
    This is what I feel is a good tips.

This works 50% of the time.

I usally click for that to happen in good time. After I took a shot and I see im in no chance of getting the rebound I take over my last D, and try to apply pressure with that guy by slowly move up on ice and against him.

But it can be abit tricky to get it to work, players are so 'good' to avoid contact, get themselves in that immune state were they can't be touch.

But to do this click-trick in your own zone with full chaos around you, yeah then it dosent always go as planed.

But I Im barley play this days, holding on until the patch drops and hope to god it will do good!

I miss NHL! 😪
  • It's so contrary to how it should be and how hockey in generally works.

But there should be a strategy that kept your defenders much wider, to protect the side of the boards and force people to attack more to the center of the zone.

Crazy to say, but in this game it's best to leave the middle more open.
    It's so contrary to how it should be and how hockey in generally works.

But there should be a strategy that kept your defenders much wider, to protect the side of the boards and force people to attack more to the center of the zone.

Crazy to say, but in this game it's best to leave the middle more open.

Crazy right? Force players to the middle. I feel you
  • EA_Blueberry
    3882 posts EA Community Manager
    What strategies and formations do you use to get more open in the middle?
  • Sega82mega
    2294 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    If you looking to only win, do not listen to this tips, but if you tired of same old circle that goes round and round and wanna change things up, try broadcast as camera.

Really..

It's really awkward to begin with.. Just take faceoffs and shot slapshots, but other then that, it's pretty cool, you get a whole nother perspective, and defense is really fun, offens too.. When you startin to get a grip on it..

I have only tryed it 4 games so far and all losses, but 2-3 as closest.. But I find myself less angry too.. I accept my handicap and looking forward to my first win! 😁

* is there any way I get to attack against the same side all the time in brodcast camera, I tryed with 'home always up etc etc' but it seems to alternate anyway...

Would be less confusing if I only have to memories one way.
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • Sega82mega
    2294 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    What strategies and formations do you use to get more open in the middle?

I dont know.. I dont really get strategies as effectively as I wanna. Especially considering many people plays pretty much the same as the rest.

But I always mix up in desperation to find that one strategy that fits perfect for me.

1-3-1 where you control your 'libro' {last defender) and take him abit back to either corner, when the opponent carrying the puck against your zone. Will force him to go more to the middle.

*But now with broadcast as camera I get a perfect view from the side when im defending. This view must be the best to play with if you want to find thoose perfect angle. Too bad it's quite difficult to learn and be good this way. But im really gonna try! 😊
  • Sega82mega
    2294 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    I dont know if this can be something.. But I always try to find new ways hehe..

And this time I put focus on my index finger, on R2. I have always had that finger more to the lowest point on that button. But I tryed to keep it as high as I could(more close to R1) , for the button to make an impact, and push really gentle. And I notice my play become abit better, I dont know if it had to do with this, but maybe the 'input' from the time when I push and for that to register, was happening abit faster..

Try it please and see if it's just in my head.. 🧐😊
  • This might be obvious for some but maybe not for other's.

But try to see, before you make the pass, in what direaction the player you are about to pass the puck is moving.

.. And then follow up that same direaction as soon as you get the puck with that player.

So you don't try to change the direaction at a totally opposite way. This way your own players will feel clumsy and hard to control.

This might be obvious for some but maybe not for other's.

But try to see, before you make the pass, in what direaction the player you are about to pass the puck is moving.

.. And then follow up that same direaction as soon as you get the puck with that player.

So you don't try to change the direaction at a totally opposite way. This way your own players will feel clumsy and hard to control.

Half the time I make a pass in the direction the player is skating and make a good pass, they're for absolutely no reason changing direction as I make the pass. Ai going straight up the boards to an open space while the center is covered, make a charged pass and send it up the boards to the ai, only the exact moment you released the pass they decided they're going to cut to the center where there is no space to enter the zone.
  • This guy is showing the trailer and not actual game footage of different strategy settings/examples of your CPU actually being better to talk about strategies and tips and tricks huh? I think the reason for that is simple and that’s the fact that your teammate AI aren’t better in most areas in 21 than any previous game. They still are shockingly hard to play with and still make really poor choices due to their attempts at play recognition which sabotage the user’s intended risks/reads/plays.

I didn’t find any value from someone talking about vague approaches to the game without any video evidence to backup/demonstrate these “tips”. I genuinely went into the video to see how his AI were reacting. I’m always wanting to watch and see how they play, because I don’t think I could go a real-time 10 seconds in a game without seeing the AI make an incorrect hockey play in the game so I’m always looking to see others experiences and their strats. Unfortunately, this was just a vague talking video with none of that and it. Rather useless for me, and probably just as useless to a new player who is trying to actually see said “tips” in action so they can visually understand what the creator is talking about.

Half the time I make a pass in the direction the player is skating and make a good pass, they're for absolutely no reason changing direction as I make the pass. Ai going straight up the boards to an open space while the center is covered, make a charged pass and send it up the boards to the ai, only the exact moment you released the pass they decided they're going to cut to the center where there is no space to enter the zone.
    Yeah, happens too often. My favorite is though, when AI is skating straight up the boards and literally watching you like "hey pass me the puck!" and when you do, he decides to jump to bench. :#

Maybe there could be animation or smthn that clearly indicates when AI has decided to go to bench?
  • Sega82mega
    2294 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    Yeah it is abit hard to know in what phase the A.I is in.. Depends on how many ups and downs it has been on the ice without a game break.

And sometimes when the speed is is really high it's hard to know anything about your AI, it's more a fight for your own survival.

Yeah that icing pass when your left w decides to change is hard..

* I would like if we had to do the line changing, but I guess that is something many would hate.
  • j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Yeah, happens too often. My favorite is though, when AI is skating straight up the boards and literally watching you like "hey pass me the puck!" and when you do, he decides to jump to bench. :#

Maybe there could be animation or smthn that clearly indicates when AI has decided to go to bench?

Maybe if manual line change meant manual.. I have it set to manual and they change on their own. That's not manual to me lol.

• 2k10 actually had a “going to the bench” animation that kicked in about 5ft from the boards. It wasn’t perfect, the game would have players and pucks clip through them to ensure they didnt affect the play, but at least I knew who was changing and knew not to pass it there. This is a great example of something not being so “sim” yet being acceptable. Goalies eating chest saves with the help of some warping would be acceptable because it will prevent goals going in five hole that hit the chest. Pucks warping under the goalie would be acceptable because sometimes my goalie decides he’s going to slide and open his five hole for no reason and that would prevent a goal. Carrying a puck through a body or skate after a check or while using board play would be acceptable because it rewards a good read/play by the defender and keeps the flow of the game going.

These are all examples of “selective realism” that make the game experience more enjoyable and reward skill more than the “realistic” approach to these scenarios. I’m all for these man, it is a game at the end of the day. I’m so tired of seeing bad goals and players getting rocked then getting the puck due to things that seem totally fixable and probably wouldn’t have much backlash from the community if these exceptions were made. This game needs to be fun again, and simply make the game fast and adding the Michigan isn’t going to cut it.