EA Forums - Banner

When is the next tuner coming?

Replies

• NHLDev wrote: »

We believe this is because of the stick going through the net. The logic wasn't distinguishing between actually reaching through the net to get to the puck and the end of your stick making contact with the net behind you in regards to not allowing collisions with the puck.

I can never confirm a fix or when it will be available before it is officially in a state where you can get it and/or that the one fix will solve all cases but internally we have solved cases for this.

Off topic, but for over a month many of us haven’t had any communication from anyone at EA, are there any updates going to be made to BAP/FM?
    ie BAP rosters, gms are trading like crazy with stars being traded everywhere despite being way over the salary cap.
    FM trade value logic is completely broken ie okposo is worth a 1st cus he’s got 20p in 28gp but landeskog hardly fetches a 2nd Cus he’s got 12p on 28gp.
    BAP having its jr season removed? Can’t play how you want anymore, forced to become a superstar and score 120p while being a 73ovr? Or steal the starter job from Gibson as a 70ovr goalie even tho I never post above .900sv%?
    The baby coddling, hand holding story in BAP? Can’t play as a grinder. There’s no such thing as the AHL, or juniors, can’t get sent down?
    Can’t edit players positions or play style in FM? Even when the AI generates prospects 10yrs down the road as a sniper when their stats obviously fit as a PWF instead?
    Nhlers overalls are super erratic, getting natural negative growth despite being 27-28-29-30yrs old?
    So many issues that make the game pointless to play because it’s either super unrealistic, or defeats the purpose of the game mode
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited November 2020
    NHLDev wrote: »

We believe this is because of the stick going through the net. The logic wasn't distinguishing between actually reaching through the net to get to the puck and the end of your stick making contact with the net behind you in regards to not allowing collisions with the puck.

I can never confirm a fix or when it will be available before it is officially in a state where you can get it and/or that the one fix will solve all cases but internally we have solved cases for this.

Off topic, but for over a month many of us haven’t had any communication from anyone at EA, are there any updates going to be made to BAP/FM?
    ie BAP rosters, gms are trading like crazy with stars being traded everywhere despite being way over the salary cap.
    FM trade value logic is completely broken ie okposo is worth a 1st cus he’s got 20p in 28gp but landeskog hardly fetches a 2nd Cus he’s got 12p on 28gp.
    BAP having its jr season removed? Can’t play how you want anymore, forced to become a superstar and score 120p while being a 73ovr? Or steal the starter job from Gibson as a 70ovr goalie even tho I never post above .900sv%?
    The baby coddling, hand holding story in BAP? Can’t play as a grinder. There’s no such thing as the AHL, or juniors, can’t get sent down?
    Can’t edit players positions or play style in FM? Even when the AI generates prospects 10yrs down the road as a sniper when their stats obviously fit as a PWF instead?
    Nhlers overalls are super erratic, getting natural negative growth despite being 27-28-29-30yrs old?
    So many issues that make the game pointless to play because it’s either super unrealistic, or defeats the purpose of the game mode

I have seen a lot of interaction from the mods on the forums. Personally, I don't have the time to be here as often and most times I would post the sentiment would be that they didn't want to hear about any of it as it wouldn't mean anything unless the improvements ended up in product. So we have opted less for back and forth communication and more to ensure that anything reported is logged to look at and that players will see the results if/when they get into the product.

As for your specific callouts, they fall into that bucket. I know the game modes team is aware of the issues people have raised with the modes. I am not sure what will/won't get addressed from the list nor could I confirm anything until it was officially released anyways.

I have seen a lot of interaction from the mods on the forums. Personally, I don't have the time to be here as often and most times I would post the sentiment would be that they didn't want to hear about any of it as it wouldn't mean anything unless the improvements ended up in product. So we have opted less for back and forth communication and more to ensure that anything reported is logged to look at and that players will see the results if/when they get into the product.

As for your specific callouts, they fall into that bucket. I know the game modes team is aware of the issues people have raised with the modes. I am not sure what will/won't get addressed from the list nor could I confirm anything until it was officially released anyways.

They have been very interactive with the HUT threads, but most FM/BAP threads are just us players talking to each other because we rarely receive replies from EA. I’d estimate at least 8/10 threads don’t receive any replies.

Something that puzzles me is the strong notion of “we won’t say anything about it until we release it”

What is so terrible about confirming that a feature or bug is going to be worked on, without a concrete release date? At least some confirmation/closure would be nice instead of constant silence.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited November 2020

They have been very interactive with the HUT threads, but most FM/BAP threads are just us players talking to each other because we rarely receive replies from EA. I’d estimate at least 8/10 threads don’t receive any replies.

Something that puzzles me is the strong notion of “we won’t say anything about it until we release it”

What is so terrible about confirming that a feature or bug is going to be worked on, without a concrete release date? At least some confirmation/closure would be nice instead of constant silence.

Almost everything that is said online across all forms of social media we are aware of and the team is always trying to improve the game.

Rev Rec stops us from confirming or promising anything.

Personally I am responsible for Gameplay so never commented on modes threads but I always relayed the info to the modes team. My personal experience was that if we took time to show we understood and had some back and forth discussion, it wasn't that satisfying for the person posting unless we were able to confirm there would be a fix and if we just gave the note that the issue was known, that wasn't enough either with the phrase 'its on our radar' even hitting meme status in previous years.

Fully get that for some of you that may be enough but that is where the general message from the forums mods has been that they relay everything to the dev team and we have the same thing happening from all other forms of social media. I think the mods can also attest to the fact that it isn't very often that they raise something to us that we aren't already aware of due to being very active in reading what is out there ourselves even if we aren't actively responding.

Almost everything that is said online across all forms of social media we are aware of and the team is always trying to improve the game.

Personally I am responsible for Gameplay so never commented on modes threads but I always relayed the info to the modes team. My personal experience was that if we took time to show we understood and had some back and forth discussion, it wasn't that satisfying for the person posting unless we were able to confirm there would be a fix and if we just gave the note that the issue was known, that wasn't enough either with the phrase 'its on our radar' even hitting meme status in previous years.

Fully get that for some of you that may be enough but that is where the general message from the forums mods has been that they relay everything to the dev team and we have the same thing happening from all other forms of social media. I think the mods can also attest to the fact that it isn't very often that they raise something to us that we aren't already aware of due to being very active in reading what is out there ourselves even if we aren't actively responding.

Alright, well even if it’s not the answer I wanted or was hoping for, at least it’s something other than silence so thanks for responding.
    I guess we will still continue to have no idea if we’re going to get fixes or removed features, readded and just wait and see. That sucks, but at least I got an actual concrete answer, so even though I am still bitter and frustrated with EA and this game, my thanks is genuine.

As frustrating as it is to not get the answers we are looking for about things that seem so simple, I completely understand the reasoning. This is always the reasoning I had assumed so at least there is that confirmation. It sucks that some middle ground could not have been found, but its always the actions of a few that ruin things for everybody.
    jtricoli wrote: »
    The shooting accuracy to snipe corners is way too high and the ability as a human goalie to react to those shots, especially the blocker high scores is ridiculous. Give some love to the human goalies out their.

Jtric

Challenge the shot a bit. Goalies can absolutely stop shots.

While this is true, the amount you have to challenge the shot as a goalie forces you to stay in that position longer than you should, which opens you up for a cheesy rebound you would have normally saved or the blocker side snipe.

This reality of the series is that it’s tilted for skaters, because that is what 99.9% of the player base is. I understand that and don’t want to take away people’s enjoyment of scoring that “big” goal, but allowing human goalies to have a slight advantage and more forgiveness in shots you are in proper position for should be rewarded, not punished. So many goals scored this year are either squeakers under my arm or cheesy 5 hole wonders that magically find a way under the ice my pad is sitting flush on.

Bottom line for me is this is a purposeful design decision on the part of EA to encourage more scoring and make the games exciting (at least for skaters). Unfortunately, this design decision has resulted in people largely running away from having a human tender in net. They could just as easily have made the decision to make human tenders a “must have” item for any team, but the lack of scoring that would likely result in wouldn’t be enjoyed by the majority of the player base. I get that, it’s a business decision. It’s just business. And apparently, human goalies are bad for business.

Jtric

It is a very tough thing to balance with the varying skill levels at all positions across multiple levels of play. At the most competitive levels of play, all we hear about is how we are hitting shooters too hard and we stand up against that very strongly. We get videos of missed nets due to how the shot model works. A player needs to settle the puck or get a good pass when well positioned and in control for a one timer to be able to pick a corner with any consistency and it is on the defense to not give them that time and space.
    It is also then possible due to those models for a goalie to then react or recover due to that extra time to challenge a shot or get over to take the angle. It is all part of the balance.

The less your defense is doing, the tougher it is for a goalie and that is true at all levels of hockey and represented and discussed a lot when it comes to goalies save percentages when they have played on different teams or looking at how different systems result in drastically different scoring chances to defend against when it comes to more advanced analytics.

The human goalie save model is the same as last year but with a bit more screen effect. We didn't do anything to the amount of reach a goalie has or how long it takes for them to move a limb. We did however bump up the impact of screens on human goalies -- they are still lower than an ai goalies effect but more than last year as there wasn't much penalty to all collapse right on top of your goalie compared to challenging shots or making sure you get the block if you are going to play that way.

Here are some threads recently I am linked to through twitter where you can see when I answer, I am certainly not siding with shooters and am more interested in overall balance for the game. I am usually sticking to the concept for how the shot model works which is it's own model relative to what the shooter is physically trying to do (how settled/in control they are or not, where their momentum was going, what their outgoing shot angle is, etc.) , where they are aiming and their attributes and not linked at all to context.

Like with goalies, we are listening to everyone to see where our models aren't working as intended but at the end of the day, we want a balanced game and aren't siding with anyone.

Some extended twitter threads about missed nets due to the accountability on the shooter side within the shot model. If you expand these threads, you will see various clips:
    Wrist Shots

Slapshots

One timers

while all of these moments would be frustrating to experience first hand, to watch them as an outsider I must say not one of these examples even deserves a response. Their complaints are so ridiculous I would hope this type of complaint goes in one ear and out the other of any gameplay related development at EA. People racing full speed and then ripping a slapshot will occasionally miss the net. in heat of the moment from sharp angles sometimes you will miss the net. In that same situation I feel this game is too easy to score on loose pucks/rebounds in the crease. I get so many goals just timing my arrival in that area and either autoanimation rebound goal, just slamming up on the right stick or simply poking. so many goals with little to no "skill" that almost always seem to beat goalies through very tight windows.

there's so many real issues this game has on so many levels. hopefully EA realizes the whining prima donna's of the world should be ignored. Just because they think they are really good at this game and are playing in "tournaments" for money, doesn't mean any time should be wasted on their small ticky tacky issues. All of which can come back to one thing, when they blame a loss on a single moment of a game.

The EA NHL team needs to spend their time on issues that affect large masses of customers (or potential customers) that lead to more enjoyable gaming experience for those masses.

Of course gameplay is by far the best part of this game. So, guess sometimes its ok to spend your time on the little things.
    The shooting accuracy to snipe corners is way too high and the ability as a human goalie to react to those shots, especially the blocker high scores is ridiculous. Give some love to the human goalies out their.

Jtric

While this is true, the amount you have to challenge the shot as a goalie forces you to stay in that position longer than you should, which opens you up for a cheesy rebound you would have normally saved or the blocker side snipe.

This reality of the series is that it’s tilted for skaters, because that is what 99.9% of the player base is. I understand that and don’t want to take away people’s enjoyment of scoring that “big” goal, but allowing human goalies to have a slight advantage and more forgiveness in shots you are in proper position for should be rewarded, not punished. So many goals scored this year are either squeakers under my arm or cheesy 5 hole wonders that magically find a way under the ice my pad is sitting flush on.

Bottom line for me is this is a purposeful design decision on the part of EA to encourage more scoring and make the games exciting (at least for skaters). Unfortunately, this design decision has resulted in people largely running away from having a human tender in net. They could just as easily have made the decision to make human tenders a “must have” item for any team, but the lack of scoring that would likely result in wouldn’t be enjoyed by the majority of the player base. I get that, it’s a business decision. It’s just business. And apparently, human goalies are bad for business.

Jtric

It is a very tough thing to balance with the varying skill levels at all positions across multiple levels of play. At the most competitive levels of play, all we hear about is how we are hitting shooters too hard and we stand up against that very strongly. We get videos of missed nets due to how the shot model works. A player needs to settle the puck or get a good pass when well positioned and in control for a one timer to be able to pick a corner with any consistency and it is on the defense to not give them that time and space.
    It is also then possible due to those models for a goalie to then react or recover due to that extra time to challenge a shot or get over to take the angle. It is all part of the balance.

The less your defense is doing, the tougher it is for a goalie and that is true at all levels of hockey and represented and discussed a lot when it comes to goalies save percentages when they have played on different teams or looking at how different systems result in drastically different scoring chances to defend against when it comes to more advanced analytics.

The human goalie save model is the same as last year but with a bit more screen effect. We didn't do anything to the amount of reach a goalie has or how long it takes for them to move a limb. We did however bump up the impact of screens on human goalies -- they are still lower than an ai goalies effect but more than last year as there wasn't much penalty to all collapse right on top of your goalie compared to challenging shots or making sure you get the block if you are going to play that way.

Here are some threads recently I am linked to through twitter where you can see when I answer, I am certainly not siding with shooters and am more interested in overall balance for the game. I am usually sticking to the concept for how the shot model works which is it's own model relative to what the shooter is physically trying to do (how settled/in control they are or not, where their momentum was going, what their outgoing shot angle is, etc.) , where they are aiming and their attributes and not linked at all to context.

Like with goalies, we are listening to everyone to see where our models aren't working as intended but at the end of the day, we want a balanced game and aren't siding with anyone.

Some extended twitter threads about missed nets due to the accountability on the shooter side within the shot model. If you expand these threads, you will see various clips:
    Wrist Shots

Slapshots

One timers

while all of these moments would be frustrating to experience first hand, to watch them as an outsider I must say not one of these examples even deserves a response. Their complaints are so ridiculous I would hope this type of complaint goes in one ear and out the other of any gameplay related development at EA. People racing full speed and then ripping a slapshot will occasionally miss the net. in heat of the moment from sharp angles sometimes you will miss the net. In that same situation I feel this game is too easy to score on loose pucks/rebounds in the crease. I get so many goals just timing my arrival in that area and either autoanimation rebound goal, just slamming up on the right stick or simply poking. so many goals with little to no "skill" that almost always seem to beat goalies through very tight windows.

there's so many real issues this game has on so many levels. hopefully EA realizes the whining prima donna's of the world should be ignored. Just because they think they are really good at this game and are playing in "tournaments" for money, doesn't mean any time should be wasted on their small ticky tacky issues. All of which can come back to one thing, when they blame a loss on a single moment of a game.

The EA NHL team needs to spend their time on issues that affect large masses of customers (or potential customers) that lead to more enjoyable gaming experience for those masses.

Of course gameplay is by far the best part of this game. So, guess sometimes its ok to spend your time on the little things.

👍

The gameplay is defenetly more hardcore this year, especially thanks to the defensive part of the game.

Offense is pretty much the same sence always.

But just this little twist with defense, has arouse the big mass.

To change something that has always been, will never be easy, just look on how alot of people play this game, for wins, not for fun, so even if the game change to the better, the people - wont take it easy, if better means, more losses.

Keep going EA, still alot to do, but at least you are on that road, that very same road that eventually will take us home..
  • goalielivesmatte
    106 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    A player needs to settle the puck or get a good pass when well positioned and in control for a one timer to be able to pick a corner with any consistency and it is on the defense to not give them that time and space.

This is 100% not true this year..I even posted a thread about when the game came out how OP some of the shot animations are. There are so many wrist shot animations right off receving a pass in the slot that is op to the point of broken..its same as that op shovel animation that triggers once in a while but now it happens in all kinds of wrist shots right after recieving a pass in the slot. Human goalie animation triggers almost a full second after the shot is taken on those..I even posted vids on some other thread showing some of those broken asf op shots.
    My point exactly of how why even have a human goalie mode when goalies 100% have to rely on your defense this year when against good teams. At least previous years when u time your butterfly slide or move into a shot goalie will have once in a while those windmill glove save robbery but this year that happens 0 times. Ik for a fact that save is gone this year even if that animation triggers where goalie reaches out his glove to do the windmill save animation and sit on his **** after but will make the save 0 times bc the shot power has been buffed while goalie animation speed is same. i played over 200 6s games have seen that animation happen 0 times to my goalie or opposing goalie. Sure that windmill animation triggers but i even sent u a dm of clip where that animation starts when the puck is already in back of net, thats how unbalanced it is rn compared to shot power vs goalie animation speed.
    This maybe be true but 100% you guys did something to shot power or how fast the shooting animation triggers even right after receiving a pass. You guys upped that for shooters for sure how fast some of the wrist shot gets off after receieing a pass i made a thread about it before with bunch of examples but think deleted my youtube videos since its pointless. You might have not done anything to amont of reach a goalie has or how long it takes to move a limb and trigger the animation but when you improved all those shots and shot animations without doing anything to improve the goalie animations you pretty much have nerfed goalie animations in a sense. Or you really think human goalies were op last year and shooters needed a huge buff on thier shots and shot animations while keeping goalies same to make it more "balanced"? lmao

Like I said I played enough goalie mode since NHL 14 and this year hands down the most unfun, unrewarding, rely on defense 100% it has ever been. Some people will think goalie mode is good when they make bunch of saves against bad players that shoot from everywhere..im talking about the good shots against good teams u cant make a difference as goalie, need defense to carry you. Its opposite of skill gap now..the skill gap now is literally good team defense. Goalie mode is pointless.

Blows my mind how you think its actually balanced now when this is the most the game been unbalanced on new gen imo. Im willing to bet any money not a single goalie this year has made that windmill glove save this year ( the one where goalie reaches his glove out and robs it glove side and sits on his **** after when you time your butterfly slide or get across in time), the animation will trigger but wont make the save ever bc the shot power/animation to speed of goalie save animation is totally broken. That save used to be somewhat common in previous years too if you read the play and get across you get rewarded by goalie moving into the save...not this year tho bc whatever you guys did to shot power/shot animations pretty much cut off goalies limbs in a sense.

Just get one of the devs to stream on twitch playing goalie mode for 5-6 games against good teams in 6s or 3s, and you will see how unbalanced this game is for human goalies, and you wont need people sending videos either. You will get all the evidence you need just from those games.

Jtric

Jtric

Wrist Shots

Slapshots

One timers

That is not at all true or working correctly. How are players just sticking their stick out and poking them in on one timers constantly? One timers are too easy
  • goalielivesmatte
    106 posts Member
    edited November 2020

Jtric

Jtric

Wrist Shots

Slapshots

One timers

That is not at all true or working correctly. How are players just sticking their stick out and poking them in on one timers constantly? One timers are too easy

Not even just on 1timers...wrist shots after receiving a pass in the slot there is not even a shooting animation just hold up and holds stick out and puck instantly deflects off stick blade and top comer perfectly and gets back of net before goalie even starts his animation. But no need for tuner bc devs think the game is balanced. Either increase the speed of the human goalie save animation speed or nerf these overpowered shot "animations". smh.
  • goalielivesmatte
    106 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    @NHLDev Is this upcoming patch addressing any of these issues for human goalies? I'm close to taking a ban on LG because hate this game too much at its current state. Fix the op shot animations and power or turn up the speed of save animation for goalies. Its not balanced at all as it is.
  • Shots from defensemen are far too weak in this game. Not only are they getting blocked frequently, but the opposing player doesn't even get stifled when blocking the shot. They're immediately in possession heading the other direction at full speed.

EA, how frequently do odd man rushes occur off of blocked shots in the NHL?
  • belair_col wrote: »
    Shots from defensemen are far too weak in this game. Not only are they getting blocked frequently, but the opposing player doesn't even get stifled when blocking the shot. They're immediately in possession heading the other direction at full speed.

It's not that they are weak but they get blocked WAY too often or hits bodies it front because EA wants position players to play goalie than the actual goalie. That's why they upped the screen effect for human goalies so much. As a goalie I hate so much how many shots from the points gets blocked.
  • thegarden94
    457 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    belair_col wrote: »
    Shots from defensemen are far too weak in this game. Not only are they getting blocked frequently, but the opposing player doesn't even get stifled when blocking the shot. They're immediately in possession heading the other direction at full speed.

The Elite don't like D to D ,they say it takes no skill so EA buffed them ,this is one reason that practically everyone plays protect the net and collapsing defense

• This is 100% not true this year

Then we wonder why the developers don't come here........... :|

• This is 100% not true this year

Then we wonder why the developers don't come here........... :|

Why? We paid for an incomplete game.

They say things like "A player needs to settle the puck or get a good pass when well positioned and in control for a one timer to be able to pick a corner with any consistency and it is on the defense to not give them that time and space."

Everyone knows this is not true or isnt working right. All forwards do is force this pass no matter what kind of traffic is in front of them and then press up. That is it. No feathering no precise movement no body position. Press UP. I have yet to see any forward have a hard time scoring on this play no matter the quality of the pass no matter what kind of position no matter what kind of any semblance of skill.

You can stop it 19 times but the 20th time they will score "because". It is almost all you see online. It isnt even fun beating people who do this. It is not fun seeing the same thing over and over again while we are told there is supposed to be skill in this game.

Personally a company that generates 1.5 billion in revenue - yes 1.5 billion - shouldn't be so soft as to be afraid of critique. This is what happens when you charge full price for a game that has so many bugs in it. This is the result of what happens when you market a game that has so many things working incorrectly.

Let us review them shall we?

Menus
    - slow and laggy
    - unresponsive
    - takes too many clicks to get to the locker room
    - roster menu
    - edit lines is in grid form and you cant use L2 to cycle teams like you can in the edit player menu
    - why are they in a different format?
    - when you go to edit lines and set some for a team and return to the parent menu you have to recycle back to where you were. An unnecessary and cumbersome design
    - 13 game modes in the main menu. Why are there so many? Not enough people play this game to justify this
    - No roster sharing or slider sharing or player sharing or logo sharing or any sharing that the best major sports games have and have had for years
    - In the settings menu there are too many menus. Why not combine rules/game settings?
    - Some of the sliders dont work or have the wrong effects
    - No create strategies, systems, plays
    Be a pro
    - No CHL play
    - After the first year it is useless to keep playing
    - The conversations make no sense
    EASHL
    - No real playoffs
    - The only game I play that the servers are bad. Seriously no other game I own suffers so much random lag
    - Taking away custom attributes completely makes the mode not worth grinding. There is no way people play this a ton for the goofy equipment. Pink skates...............
    - Cross crease plays are too easy to execute. I see so many hard one timers go in when all the forward does is shovel it in like a tip. There is no visible penalty for a less than perfect pass or the position in which the forward receives it. Just press up...
    - Offense takes way less skill than defense. This is reversed from reality
    - Selfish play is the standard
    - Base player builds are bad
    - Defense is held to a higher standard by far in comparison to forwards
    - Pause glitching is still existing.....
    - Game is way too fast
    - Hustle can be used relentlessly with no penalty
    - Cannot open hockey bags at once
    - AI is bad with the puck but stellar when they chase someone down
    Franchise
    - Record book is bugged
    - Chemistry is bugged
    - Coach systems are bad and bugged
    - Trade screen salaries are bugged when holding salary
    - No banner raising
    - Why do we always have to repair the bathrooms to start???
    - No league schedule
    - Cannot see other teams box scores
    - Box scores are limited to begin with
    - Cant edit coaches
    - Cant search by position in player search (for forwards)
    - Draft pick trade logic is very flawed
    Gameplay
    - Puck pick ups/pass receptions/shot quickness are all way slower than the base speed of the game
    - My tip - set game speed to 6, lower skating speed to 20, puck carrier agility to 10, acceleration to 30, agility to 30. Having the speed so high makes the animations I listed a bit faster and allows the slower skating speed to seem like a better blend
    - No matter what strategy I use the AI always leaves their position and skates around without a purpose
    - Superstar AI cannot figure out breakout passes and always curls away from the play without moving the puck??
    - Players do not go to the slot or to the net on 3 on 1s or 2 on 1s. No trailer plays
    - No high off the glass plays to get out of the zone. The dump is broken
    - Cant take a hard wrist shot when trying to clear the zone
    - Goalies get beat on the same shots for a decade now
    - Holding the puck out to the backhand and throwing a rocket accurate pass should not be a thing
    - 5 foot passes are harder to execute than long stretches
    Presentation
    - Crowd sounds dead and boring. Is not lively. Little excitement
    BAP:
    - Cannot get sent down to AHL/juniors
    - literally given everything on a silver platter
    - Don’t need to work for it anymore, you’re given endless chances
    - Given captaincy in your second season, even stripping it from Crosby, Weber, Toews, etc
    - Cannot roleplay anymore such as being a grinder, or an enforcer. You HAVE to be a superstar
    - You’re a 99ovr by the time you’re 22-23. Stupid.
    - The AI GMs blow up their rosters and trade crazily with no adherence to the salary cap
    Franchise mode
    - cannot edit players anymore, so can’t fix the auto generated prospects so their play styles and positions match their stats and abilities.
    - Entire trade logic is flawed for the AI GMs, Tyler Ennis can be worth as much as Patrick Kane
    - trade deadline is bugged out, freezing, or disappearing players.
    - Potential is all whacked out. Have a 23yr prospect with med elite fwd put out a 78pt season, then next season only does 46pt and drops to low top 9. That’s stupid.
    - The AI GMs don’t try to offload bad contracts. You’ll have to pay to take them, it’s ridiculous.
    - The AI GMs don’t try and sign their RFAs ever. They just sit out entire years, until they can sign them in offseason after a wasted year, or they go to UFA. waste of time, potential for that player.
    GAME MODES -
    There are way too many game modes in this game. It’s a jack of all trades, master of none. Cut down to 5 of your most popular modes (EASHL, HUT, Franchise, Be a Pro, and Versus) and focus on improvements to those rather than adding new ones in.
    You have so many modes and not one of them is even remotely close to being great.
    MENUS -
    The menus are atrocious. Feels like you need to go to so many filler screens just to get to what you’re actually trying to play. The lag and input delay in the menus, as well as the load times (even on ps5), is just ridiculous for 2021. Simplify your menus and with the reduced amount of game modes from my first point would help with navigating the menus quicker to what you’re actually trying to play.
    COMPETITIVE GAMEPLAY -
    Get rid of leaderboard rankings being based purely off the amount of wins a team or player has... seeing a .500 team towards the top of the leaderboards is an immediate sign this game is not competitive. A team that is 100-0-0 should not be ranked below a team that is 101-100-0.
    Also, get rid of any ability to dodge players and choose who you play. You guys made improvements on being able to match make your region, club size, and goalie, as well as showing the games connection. There is no reason you should ever have to back out of a game before it starts. You guys have the idea right during the Eashl playoffs by not showing the opponent, that’s how it should be every game in every online mode.
    CLUB RECRUITMENT -
    How do you expect newer players, or just anyone looking for a club in general to play with the system you have. You guys have “Competitive Rating” tied to each player... why can’t you guys make a better system for a free agent to join a club by taking their CR and hit a “search for club” button where it searches for clubs at that CR level where the club creator/GM is online. Don’t even bother showing players clubs they can join if the GM from that club isn’t online to accept them or play anyways unless that person is specifically searching for a certain club.
    This way free agents are given options of players at their level of skill, the club GM is online to accept them, and possibly play right away.
    Using outside sources like reddit, forums, etc is not a way to introduce newer players to your game. Most new players probably don’t even know where to begin to join a club.
    SERVERS -
    Ever since the switch to ps4/one, your servers have been below average at best. You can’t have a game that requires split second decisions when you’re providing servers with bad latency. If you guys can’t fix your servers, at least compromise and make the ice size a bit bigger so there’s a bit more time and space for players to make a decision so this game can stop looking like bumper cars on ice in 6s, and actual nice passing plays and cycling can happen again like in NHLs glory days. You guys can blame the community all you want and say it’s our fault for the connection, but at the end of the day you guys can’t deny how many people have issues with only your game. Fix it, or adapt and make changes to the gameplay to counter the latency, stop sweeping it under the rug.
    CUSTOMIZATION -
    Why can’t clubs create their own logos, seeing the same generic logos on every team each year is getting old. You guys made it so clubs create their arenas... you have playoffs for Eashl... why do you guys not have playoff championship banners saved in your clubs arena. Would be so cool to play a team and see a bunch of championship banners in the rafters.
    Bring back player attribute customization, your playerbase has been bugging for this to be back since you took it away, listen to your community. Which ties in with this next point...
    PLAYERS QUITTING CONSTANTLY -
    You guys made prestige rankings... tie custom player attributes to levelling... Every set amount of levels gets you a certain amount of attribute points to put in. But make it like how Overwatch is for example... if you quit out of games you get 50% reduced exp gained for a certain number of games which the penalty increases the more games you leave. This way there is punishment for quitters by slowing down their progress on gaining attribute points. Nothing is more frustrating than playing club or drop ins and scoring 1-2 goals and everyone leaves ending you back to the lobby searching forever for a new game, which again leads me to my next point
    CLUB DIVISIONS -
    In theory club divisions are a good idea, in practice they are not. You guys do not have the playerbase to provide a good matchmaking experience when you split Eashl into 10 different divisions. You’ve already diluted this game with far too many different modes splitting up the community that forcing clubs to spend more time searching for games rather than playing is a poor user experience. People should not have to delete and remake their club when getting to division 1 because you guys put in a system that makes finding a game there near impossible.
    COMPUTER PLAYERS -
    You guys need to stop treating this game like offline and online should have the same AI tendencies. Online AI should be completely passive, but positionally solid. If a player doesn’t want to swap to play D (like so many choose not to), they should be punished with the computer allowing you to walk in... but if they are solid positionally that allows the human to switch to control them and make a play. Humans should be the ones playing online, not the AI. Too many people choose to let the AI play D for them... that’s literally only playing half the game, yet it rewards them. If a human ever feels like an AI playing for them is the better option, the game is just simply tuned wrong. If I want to play against the AI, ill play offline... online should be human vs human with as little AI influence as possible.
    VISION CONTROL -
    You guys took something that worked amazing in the earlier years, and decided to take it away in place of offense being able to skate backwards... I don’t know about you guys but I don’t see NHL players gaining the zone skating in backwards all the time, get rid of it.... Holding L2 should make you face the puck, not just simply face North. It shouldn’t be this much of a battle to get your player to face the play, just because you guys think forwards skating backwards up the ice is more important.
    CLUBS BEING REMADE TO PLAY NOOBS -
    Again, get rid of club divisions, you don’t have the playerbase for it. Tie matchmaking to be purely off CR, why did you even add CR into the game if that wasn’t your objective. Then when little Timmy goes 12-0-0 and finally loses a game, disbanding the club and restarting does nothing considering they will just be matching up with players around their CR anyways, rather than division 10 new teams to beat up on. Also back to the player attribute customization, tie in some club milestones into some attribute points to encourage teams to stick together to reach Those milestones for extra attributes. Again, punishing the constant club remakes
    CONSISTENCY -
    Hockey is a game of bounces for sure don’t get me wrong, but in an online video game that has a potential for esports you need to get rid of the amount of RNG in the game. If a defender is in a passing lane, facing the puck it should be intercepted every time. Stop AI goalies from making insane desperation save animations in online modes... there’s a lack of human goalies as it is.. make AI goalies have more consistency in goals and stop making save of the year saves to determine online games, nothing worse than losing a game because of the only position on the ice not controller by a player. This will inevitably increase the amount of human goalies you will get playing. Nobody is going to play a position or take someone at that position when an AI can just do it better. As it is now a human goalie is usually always a disadvantage over a computer
    FRANCHISE MODE -
    This testing was done in NHL 20 but I’m sure it’s the same in 21. But I manually played 3 seasons of franchise mode with the goal of testing player growth. I took a 68 overall (Bottom 6 forward), who was 19 years old and played him on the first line. All 3 seasons I finished at 120+ points with him. He went from a 68 to a 74 after those 3 seasons.... like you’re telling me if a player came into the NHL with over 360 points in 3 seasons he would be ranked at a 74 overall? Stop limiting player growth based purely off what you determine the potential to be. On ice performance should trump the random generated potential a player has. Makes the mode feel too predictable when growth feels out of a players control. I’m not a big franchise mode player so that’s just a small gripe I have with it.
    RE-ENTER A GAME IF DC’d
    Again, Overwatch as a reference... if you DC you have a certain time limit to get back into the game before being penalized. If I DC from a club or drop in game, allow me to get back to the lobby and slot back into my position and load into the game. I wouldn’t think with it being 2021 it would be hard to program an AI skater to do a line change to get you back onto the ice after reconnecting to the game. This would solve the problem of taking a 50% exp reduction for quitters, if you actually legit just had a DC so you wouldn’t be punished.

I guess after all that we are supposed to just smile and say thank you? That isnt how things work. If they cant handle the critique that is on them. This game has a 2.4 user rating on metacritic...Out of 102 reviews there are 80 negative 6 mixed and 16 positive...

https://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/k42frq/nhl21s_gameplay_in_a_nutshell/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/k4iirf/how_can_the_ai_be_this_bad/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/k4c1jx/stupid_ai/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/k3z4on/anyone_else_having_issues_regarding_moral/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/k39ahq/these_new_retro_camo_jerseys_are_lit/
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nhl-21/user-reviews?sort-by=date&num_items=100

The list is long.

For fun - https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/mlb-the-show-20

That is a way better game and people respond to it better. If EA wants everyone to be nice to them they should be nice to us
  • Z0mbieBabyJesus
    1396 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    belair_col wrote: »

It's not that they are weak but they get blocked WAY too often or hits bodies it front because EA wants position players to play goalie than the actual goalie. That's why they upped the screen effect for human goalies so much. As a goalie I hate so much how many shots from the points gets blocked.

9 out of 10 point shots are super slow and weak looking.
  • belair_col wrote: »

9 out of 10 point shots are super slow and weak looking.

Half the time it looks like it plays the animation where he whiffs, but still gets the shot off. Its like ok dude, next time just whack it with your purse.
  • MaskedMan2014 for game changer. He knows whats wrong with this game.