EA Forums - Banner

Does Anyone Remember Slapshots?

Prev1
...and more importantly scoring on them? I've noticed through taking a lot of slapshots that they just don't seem to go in at all (at least ones coming up the wing) maybe it's just me but, a lot of players don't seem to use them anymore, at least not full wind ups.

Replies

• Sega82mega
    2360 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    If I could answer this..

I have to brag abit and claim shoting in every aspects may be my specialty, I probebly fire off top 50 in shots every year. All tough that dosent say that much cause often people dont shot alot.

When I have enough time to put a puck against the net, I take it.

This year I experience that I can score from more areas around the o-zone, I manage to find angles I couldn't find before.

But yes, the goalies are good, (their have always been good, against my style to play) but maybe their even abit better this year, and purhaps too good?

It's probebly not the only reason why 'everyone' look for the cross crease, but it must defenetly contribute to that. (cause of the goalies to hard to score on in other words).
  • I see a big difference around 90 power. You need to power it by before the goalie can react but even then you need to be around the top of the circles.
  • Almost no slapshot goals has ruined the game for me. Online players likely do not care as much about that aspect. As strictly an offline player that likes a realistic game and accurate stats, this game is pretty disappointing. The CPU opponent rarely even attempts slapshots. It is unfortunate they could not balance the game out, with less one-timer and cross crease goals, with other types of goals.
  • Is the OP aiming the shot?

A slapshot rises so you need to aim low in the slot and mid post from a wing. I'm not getting as many onetimers from the faceoff but not having too much trouble elsewhere.

It is also important that you keep your joystick -90° to +90° and not fade it to the side or you won't release the shot or will be a wrister or snap shot. I didn't buy a new controller with the game this year and I have some fade in my sticks that cause problems from time to time.

Online play is on and off with the connection and that can also create trouble getting shots off when and where you want them.
  • Is the OP aiming the shot?

A slapshot rises so you need to aim low in the slot and mid post from a wing. I'm not getting as many onetimers from the faceoff but not having too much trouble elsewhere.

It is also important that you keep your joystick -90° to +90° and not fade it to the side or you won't release the shot or will be a wrister or snap shot. I didn't buy a new controller with the game this year and I have some fade in my sticks that cause problems from time to time.

Online play is on and off with the connection and that can also create trouble getting shots off when and where you want them.

• Thanks Jeff for the tips, I feel like I need to have every good scoring option available to me, and I like to have gameplay as authentic to the NHL as I can, I will try those tips out.
  • Almost no slapshot goals has ruined the game for me. Online players likely do not care as much about that aspect. As strictly an offline player that likes a realistic game and accurate stats, this game is pretty disappointing. The CPU opponent rarely even attempts slapshots. It is unfortunate they could not balance the game out, with less one-timer and cross crease goals, with other types of goals.

Yeah, authenticity is important for me, I like to be able to execute any kind of way to score, but I haven't had as much luck with slapshots as the other ones you mentioned.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    I see a big difference around 90 power. You need to power it by before the goalie can react but even then you need to be around the top of the circles.

Thanks, yeah, maybe I'm not at the right angle when I let it go, and currently most of my team is late 80s shot power, except for Kessel, and he's the one I use for SS from the wing.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    If I could answer this..

I have to brag abit and claim shoting in every aspects may be my specialty, I probebly fire off top 50 in shots every year. All tough that dosent say that much cause often people dont shot alot.

This year I experience that I can score from more areas around the o-zone, I manage to find angles I couldn't find before.

But yes, the goalies are good, (their have always been good, against my style to play) but maybe their even abit better this year, and purhaps too good?

It's probebly not the only reason why 'everyone' look for the cross crease, but it must defenetly contribute to that. (cause of the goalies to hard to score on in other words).

Yes, the goalies are definitely better, I think it has to be my players overall shot power and where I take the shot where I'm going wrong. I will try to fix that and see if that makes a difference, I also think with slapshots that AI goalies have more time to prepare for it as well, unlike one timers.
  • Zezel25 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    If I could answer this..

Yes, the goalies are definitely better, I think it has to be my players overall shot power and where I take the shot where I'm going wrong. I will try to fix that and see if that makes a difference, I also think with slapshots that AI goalies have more time to prepare for it as well, unlike one timers.

Its importen to have your player in good balance when you take the shot.. If you hustle and shot it's more about power.. But if you try to glide abit before you take the slapshot, it might help.

Shots from blueline, I usally try to L2 just a tiny bit in sideways just before I take the shot.
  • Slap shots work awesome offline.
  • Let's not even talk about D to D one timers. Ugh.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    Let's not even talk about D to D one timers. Ugh.

You mean the shots that look like the old stick breaking animation except the stick doesnt break?

You mean the shots that look like the old stick breaking animation except the stick doesnt break?

LMAO. More flubs than actual shots. Yup.

The elite top players don't like D to D

The elite top players don't like D to D

You had me at "The elite top players don't like D"
  • Ben said himself last year that they don't want players 'spamming' slapshots from the point. That isn't part of their so-called skill gap.

They probably read some sports blog that stated puck possession is key in the NHL, so they conflate that with TOA and want everyone to learn how to spin and twirl and deke around like it's a pick-up shinny game instead of hockey.

That's the sole reason behind the interception nerf as well, I think. They can blather on about 'active defense' but the bottom line is players learned how to better play patient, positional D and the ballerinas didn't like having their forced cross ice attempts occassionally intercepted by some guy 'just standing in front of the net' in 20's version of skillzoning.

Voila, 21 caters even more to garbage playstyles.
  • Davanial wrote: »
    Ben said himself last year that they don't want players 'spamming' slapshots from the point. That isn't part of their so-called skill gap.

They probably read some sports blog that stated puck possession is key in the NHL, so they conflate that with TOA and want everyone to learn how to spin and twirl and deke around like it's a pick-up shinny game instead of hockey.

That's the sole reason behind the interception nerf as well, I think. They can blather on about 'active defense' but the bottom line is players learned how to better play patient, positional D and the ballerinas didn't like having their forced cross ice attempts occassionally intercepted by some guy 'just standing in front of the net' in 20's version of skillzoning.

Voila, 21 caters even more to garbage playstyles.

Thank you for bring this up .I was watching a game changers twitch stream and he also said the same thing about the pass interception ,but he did also say that EA went a little overboard and made the AI totally useless and that's not what they wanted and yes the D to D was nerfed because the elite said it took no skill to score a D to D but then again if their so elite it should be easy to prevent and what else was also nerfed was the one timer of the face off , especially from the left side,like I've been saying listening to these guys is totally taking any kind of realism out of this series ,iits really to bad because in my opinion this can actually be a pretty good game if they stop listening to the so called elite
  • Next patch will bring us the closest any EA hockey game has been to a realistic hockey experience.

Anyone wanna bet on it?

😏🥶🙄
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Next patch will bring us the closest any EA hockey game has been to a realistic hockey experience.

Anyone wanna bet on it?

😏🥶🙄

Sorry lol but no