EA Forums - Banner

Momentum is ruining the game

Prev1
This is not about DDA, ice tilt, team strength or anything like that. This is about the in-game momentum system which has been advertised heavily in the past and is currently referenced in-game multiple times.

This momentum is what causes the feeling of a boost or a delay for most people, most of the time.

It's artificial and it has to go.

This momentum can be manipulated in many ways. If you look at the on-ice trainer, the green check marks will show you when you've done something that builds momentum. Dekes build momentum. Passes build momentum. Zone entries build momentum. Self-sauce glitch builds a lot of momentum. Fights build momentum. Big hits build momentum. Injuries build momentum.

It all seems so weird though. Like why sometimes does winning a fight give me a boost, but other times I win a fight and my opponent gets the boost? Why sometimes does my guy get injured and my whole team falls apart, yet other times I injure my opponent and their whole team rallies and starts moving faster than ever?

Forcing someone to skate past you builds tons of momentum and that's why that's the meta playstyle this year, waiting until someone passes by you and only skating forward after that happens. Because it feels horrible to try to skate without a momentum boost.

I understand why this feature was implemented, however, it is not necessary. It is intended to replicate real-life momentum swings, but those swings will happen naturally between the players. The game doesn't have to mess with things the way it does.

THIS feature is why most of us feel like something weird is at play. It has to go. It feels worse than ever this year.

Please just let us play and let our card stats and our abilities mean more than some hidden system that influences everything. Momentum will occur naturally, as it does in real life. This feature is what's making the game frustrating for lots of us, win or lose.

I just won a game where I had to abuse the momentum system just to get my guys to skate properly and it was NOT FUN.

Replies

  • I also noticed something and it maybe nothing but it’s there. If you win or lose a fight and watch the replay to the end the player that ends up with bruised face that team will somehow lose the game. Also if your opponent challenges you to a fight and you don’t accept somehow short while later OP will score on you.
    I bleed hockey!!!!!!!!!!
  • I don´t know if it is momentum supreme or just scripting but often after scoring a goal there is another one in either direction directly after where the ai defenders really skate themselves to open a gate and then are impossible to switch to. You feel it coming directly on the draw, either it´s you who going to score or the opponent. Sometimes my player even finishes automatically, i tried something else but there is an animation that i did not initiate, and boom goal, hence the feeling of scripting...
  • I don´t know if it is momentum supreme or just scripting but often after scoring a goal there is another one in either direction directly after where the ai defenders really skate themselves to open a gate and then are impossible to switch to. You feel it coming directly on the draw, either it´s you who going to score or the opponent. Sometimes my player even finishes automatically, i tried something else but there is an animation that i did not initiate, and boom goal, hence the feeling of scripting...

    Has been like this in EA Sports games for decades. The momentum swing causes it.

    I have experienced the auto-finish too, or scoring without even having to shoot. If I get the momentum fully on my side, I can sometimes just skate near the net and the puck will fall in somehow.
  • Yeah, it´s just like a goal initiates a coinflip about the momentum. Sometimes it´s 0-0 late into 3rd and as soon as a goal is scored it can quickly be 4-0 in the end or 3-3 even. It´s crazy and does not reflect the performance of the gamers in front of the screen at all.
  • I only play offline and the "momentum swing" is still live and kickin'. Like it was 10 years ago.

    Maybe it would not be a negative factor, if it would "swing" in the "right" direction, but it does not.

    For me it's that "OK, here it goes"-moment, were my players all of a sudden need three seconds to turn, or the acceleration is that of a snail on doop. Probably some one might say "Yeah, that's because the AI switched to a different strategy".

    OK, but from what I am seeing while playing through those moments is not only that the AI Opponent ist skating lightning fast all of as sudden and even when hit hard still stay with puck, what peeves me is that MY players are not responding the way they did before the Momentum took action.
  • petejenkev wrote: »
    I only play offline and the "momentum swing" is still live and kickin'. Like it was 10 years ago.

    Maybe it would not be a negative factor, if it would "swing" in the "right" direction, but it does not.

    For me it's that "OK, here it goes"-moment, were my players all of a sudden need three seconds to turn, or the acceleration is that of a snail on doop. Probably some one might say "Yeah, that's because the AI switched to a different strategy".

    OK, but from what I am seeing while playing through those moments is not only that the AI Opponent ist skating lightning fast all of as sudden and even when hit hard still stay with puck, what peeves me is that MY players are not responding the way they did before the Momentum took action.

    That sounds like the same crap that happens after you jump out to a quick multi-goal lead. Right after that your players decide they want to take twice as long with any motions or actions. Funny how stuff like that always requires "troubleshooting" though because it's not in the game that way LOL. Ha!! Right!!
  • petejenkev
    116 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Yes, and it's in the game for a long time.

    Don't get me wrong - I still can win a game, but within a short period of time after I
    'm ahead one or two goals my team turns into a bunch of people who never put skates on.
  • petejenkev wrote: »
    Yes, and it's in the game for a long time.

    Don't get me wrong - I still can win a game, but within a short period of time after I
    'm ahead one or two goals my team turns into a bunch of people who never put skates on.

    And they say the reason is because your opponent adjusted their strategies. I call B---S on that as my team and player ratings and abilities would be the same regardless of what my opponent does. For example, your skating speed isn't automatically cut in half because EA thinks your opponent's strategies would cause that to happen.
  • petejenkev wrote: »
    Yes, and it's in the game for a long time.

    Don't get me wrong - I still can win a game, but within a short period of time after I
    'm ahead one or two goals my team turns into a bunch of people who never put skates on.

    And they say the reason is because your opponent adjusted their strategies. I call B---S on that as my team and player ratings and abilities would be the same regardless of what my opponent does. For example, your skating speed isn't automatically cut in half because EA thinks your opponent's strategies would cause that to happen.

    Lol strats....right. I fail to see the strategy labeled "lower other teams attributes by 15". They can continue to say it doesnt happen but then that makes it worse. Cus if its not SUPPOSED to happen, then they have major bugs they refuse to, or just cant fix. Period. I also like how aljo refused to answer when I called **** on them HAVING TO TELL THE TRUTH cus they lied all year about legends in franchise. Ive brought that one up several times and NEVER got a response. Why? Cus what they did was highly illegal.
  • EA_Aljo
    3218 posts EA Community Manager
    There was a momentum system in the previous generation of the game. Things like goals against, big hits and winning fights could be used to intimidate the opposing team. This would cause less accurate shots and a higher chance to lose the puck. It didn't make the transition to the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game with NHL 15 and has not returned since.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    There was a momentum system in the previous generation of the game. Things like goals against, big hits and winning fights could be used to intimidate the opposing team. This would cause less accurate shots and a higher chance to lose the puck. It didn't make the transition to the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game with NHL 15 and has not returned since.
    We would love to believe this but unfortunately it looks like it’s still ongoing, unless my eyes are lying to me.

    I bleed hockey!!!!!!!!!!
  • deathaddersHUT
    62 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    There was a momentum system in the previous generation of the game. Things like goals against, big hits and winning fights could be used to intimidate the opposing team. This would cause less accurate shots and a higher chance to lose the puck. It didn't make the transition to the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game with NHL 15 and has not returned since.

    Sorry but there's no way this is true. I'm sure you're just repeating what you've been told, but you've been lied to.

    It's still easy to manipulate the momentum and tell what causes boosts. Again, if you all really think you took this out, check again, because it's still in the game (and is referenced in menus and by the announcers, and reflected by crowd noise, etc.)

    The whole reason people play the passive style they do this year, where they sit and wait for you to chase before passing or skating past you, is because that gives a momentum boost. You can feel your guy respond better if you wait until someone passes him before you move towards the opponent's zone. It's ruining the game and it has to ACTUALLY be taken out, because it clearly wasn't taken out when you say it was.

    The METER was taken out, but the feature remains.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    There was a momentum system in the previous generation of the game. Things like goals against, big hits and winning fights could be used to intimidate the opposing team. This would cause less accurate shots and a higher chance to lose the puck. It didn't make the transition to the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game with NHL 15 and has not returned since.

    Sorry but there's no way this is true. It's still easy to manipulate the momentum and tell what causes boosts. Again, if you all really think you took this out, check again, because it's still in the game (and is referenced in menus and by the announcers, and reflected by crowd noise, etc.)

    I mean, even the announcers call out "momentum" swings when its happening so its hard to believe SOMETHING wasnt purposefully done.
  • deathaddersHUT
    62 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    There was a momentum system in the previous generation of the game. Things like goals against, big hits and winning fights could be used to intimidate the opposing team. This would cause less accurate shots and a higher chance to lose the puck. It didn't make the transition to the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game with NHL 15 and has not returned since.

    Sorry but there's no way this is true. It's still easy to manipulate the momentum and tell what causes boosts. Again, if you all really think you took this out, check again, because it's still in the game (and is referenced in menus and by the announcers, and reflected by crowd noise, etc.)

    I mean, even the announcers call out "momentum" swings when its happening so its hard to believe SOMETHING wasnt purposefully done.

    It's referenced in the little dancing screens too (BIG HIT - MOMENTUM SHIFT)

    Now queue EA coming in to say "they're just talking about momentum in general but it's not a feature anymore"

    Or, they will remove the mentions of it like they did when they got caught with the definition of the POISE stat which dynamically provides a stat boost in certain situations. They pulled that stat from the card display quick and claimed it was never in use in HUT. Then I asked the head dev if there were any other stats that weren't used in HUT and he said "not to my knowledge" instead of actually providing a sure answer.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    There was a momentum system in the previous generation of the game. Things like goals against, big hits and winning fights could be used to intimidate the opposing team. This would cause less accurate shots and a higher chance to lose the puck. It didn't make the transition to the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game with NHL 15 and has not returned since.

    Sorry but there's no way this is true. It's still easy to manipulate the momentum and tell what causes boosts. Again, if you all really think you took this out, check again, because it's still in the game (and is referenced in menus and by the announcers, and reflected by crowd noise, etc.)

    I mean, even the announcers call out "momentum" swings when its happening so its hard to believe SOMETHING wasnt purposefully done.

    It's referenced in the little dancing screens too (BIG HIT - MOMENTUM SHIFT)

    Now queue EA coming in to say "they're just talking about momentum in general but it's not a feature anymore"

    Or, they will remove the mentions of it like they did when they got caught with the definition of the POISE stat which dynamically provides a stat boost in certain situations. They pulled that stat from the card display quick and claimed it was never in use in HUT. Then I asked the head dev if there were any other stats that weren't used in HUT and he said "not to my knowledge" instead of actually providing a sure answer.

    Unfortunately due to NDA and stuff we will never get a straight answer on most things. But i do remember them selling chel boosts a while back too (poise being one) that did absolutely nothing yet they still sold it.
  • EA_Aljo
    3218 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    There was a momentum system in the previous generation of the game. Things like goals against, big hits and winning fights could be used to intimidate the opposing team. This would cause less accurate shots and a higher chance to lose the puck. It didn't make the transition to the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game with NHL 15 and has not returned since.

    Sorry but there's no way this is true. It's still easy to manipulate the momentum and tell what causes boosts. Again, if you all really think you took this out, check again, because it's still in the game (and is referenced in menus and by the announcers, and reflected by crowd noise, etc.)

    I mean, even the announcers call out "momentum" swings when its happening so its hard to believe SOMETHING wasnt purposefully done.

    It's referenced in the little dancing screens too (BIG HIT - MOMENTUM SHIFT)

    Now queue EA coming in to say "they're just talking about momentum in general but it's not a feature anymore"

    Or, they will remove the mentions of it like they did when they got caught with the definition of the POISE stat which dynamically provides a stat boost in certain situations. They pulled that stat from the card display quick and claimed it was never in use in HUT. Then I asked the head dev if there were any other stats that weren't used in HUT and he said "not to my knowledge" instead of actually providing a sure answer.

    Unfortunately due to NDA and stuff we will never get a straight answer on most things. But i do remember them selling chel boosts a while back too (poise being one) that did absolutely nothing yet they still sold it.

    As far as I know, there was never a boost for poise as that is an offline attribute only.

    An NDA doesn't prevent us from talking about momentum. The only momentum in the game is the rate at which your players are moving.

    This is a very similar discussion to DDA/Ice tilt. Since it was requested I stop responding there, I'll do the same here.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    There was a momentum system in the previous generation of the game. Things like goals against, big hits and winning fights could be used to intimidate the opposing team. This would cause less accurate shots and a higher chance to lose the puck. It didn't make the transition to the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game with NHL 15 and has not returned since.

    Sorry but there's no way this is true. It's still easy to manipulate the momentum and tell what causes boosts. Again, if you all really think you took this out, check again, because it's still in the game (and is referenced in menus and by the announcers, and reflected by crowd noise, etc.)

    I mean, even the announcers call out "momentum" swings when its happening so its hard to believe SOMETHING wasnt purposefully done.

    It's referenced in the little dancing screens too (BIG HIT - MOMENTUM SHIFT)

    Now queue EA coming in to say "they're just talking about momentum in general but it's not a feature anymore"

    Or, they will remove the mentions of it like they did when they got caught with the definition of the POISE stat which dynamically provides a stat boost in certain situations. They pulled that stat from the card display quick and claimed it was never in use in HUT. Then I asked the head dev if there were any other stats that weren't used in HUT and he said "not to my knowledge" instead of actually providing a sure answer.

    Unfortunately due to NDA and stuff we will never get a straight answer on most things. But i do remember them selling chel boosts a while back too (poise being one) that did absolutely nothing yet still sold it.

    As far as I know, there was never a boost for poise as that is an offline attribute only.

    An NDA doesn't prevent us from talking about momentum. The only momentum in the game is the rate at which your players are moving.

    This is a very similar discussion to DDA/Ice tilt. Since it was requested I stop responding there, I'll do the same here.

    i absolutely remember at least one boost being sold that we were later told had no effect. It was when the bap boosts were tied to chel but you could also buy them. Also since were talking about things ea lied about and you've ignored it twice already, what about when ea advertised legends in franchise right on the case but never delivered and refused to speak on it? Still stand by the statement that your cant lie to us? Or claiming the engine was rebuilt from the ground up only to have to walk that back as well? Care to comment on those?
  • EA_Aljo
    3218 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    There was a momentum system in the previous generation of the game. Things like goals against, big hits and winning fights could be used to intimidate the opposing team. This would cause less accurate shots and a higher chance to lose the puck. It didn't make the transition to the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game with NHL 15 and has not returned since.

    Sorry but there's no way this is true. It's still easy to manipulate the momentum and tell what causes boosts. Again, if you all really think you took this out, check again, because it's still in the game (and is referenced in menus and by the announcers, and reflected by crowd noise, etc.)

    I mean, even the announcers call out "momentum" swings when its happening so its hard to believe SOMETHING wasnt purposefully done.

    It's referenced in the little dancing screens too (BIG HIT - MOMENTUM SHIFT)

    Now queue EA coming in to say "they're just talking about momentum in general but it's not a feature anymore"

    Or, they will remove the mentions of it like they did when they got caught with the definition of the POISE stat which dynamically provides a stat boost in certain situations. They pulled that stat from the card display quick and claimed it was never in use in HUT. Then I asked the head dev if there were any other stats that weren't used in HUT and he said "not to my knowledge" instead of actually providing a sure answer.

    Unfortunately due to NDA and stuff we will never get a straight answer on most things. But i do remember them selling chel boosts a while back too (poise being one) that did absolutely nothing yet still sold it.

    As far as I know, there was never a boost for poise as that is an offline attribute only.

    An NDA doesn't prevent us from talking about momentum. The only momentum in the game is the rate at which your players are moving.

    This is a very similar discussion to DDA/Ice tilt. Since it was requested I stop responding there, I'll do the same here.

    i absolutely remember at least one boost being sold that we were later told had no effect. It was when the bap boosts were tied to chel but you could also buy them. Also since were talking about things ea lied about and you've ignored it twice already, what about when ea advertised legends in franchise right on the case but never delivered and refused to speak on it? Still stand by the statement that your cant lie to us? Or claiming the engine was rebuilt from the ground up only to have to walk that back as well? Care to comment on those?

    I'm talking about what we say here in the forums. If there was a feature advertised on the box that ended up not making it in the game, that's not something I have details on as I'm not responsible for that.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    There was a momentum system in the previous generation of the game. Things like goals against, big hits and winning fights could be used to intimidate the opposing team. This would cause less accurate shots and a higher chance to lose the puck. It didn't make the transition to the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game with NHL 15 and has not returned since.

    Sorry but there's no way this is true. It's still easy to manipulate the momentum and tell what causes boosts. Again, if you all really think you took this out, check again, because it's still in the game (and is referenced in menus and by the announcers, and reflected by crowd noise, etc.)

    I mean, even the announcers call out "momentum" swings when its happening so its hard to believe SOMETHING wasnt purposefully done.

    It's referenced in the little dancing screens too (BIG HIT - MOMENTUM SHIFT)

    Now queue EA coming in to say "they're just talking about momentum in general but it's not a feature anymore"

    Or, they will remove the mentions of it like they did when they got caught with the definition of the POISE stat which dynamically provides a stat boost in certain situations. They pulled that stat from the card display quick and claimed it was never in use in HUT. Then I asked the head dev if there were any other stats that weren't used in HUT and he said "not to my knowledge" instead of actually providing a sure answer.

    Unfortunately due to NDA and stuff we will never get a straight answer on most things. But i do remember them selling chel boosts a while back too (poise being one) that did absolutely nothing yet still sold it.

    As far as I know, there was never a boost for poise as that is an offline attribute only.

    An NDA doesn't prevent us from talking about momentum. The only momentum in the game is the rate at which your players are moving.

    This is a very similar discussion to DDA/Ice tilt. Since it was requested I stop responding there, I'll do the same here.

    i absolutely remember at least one boost being sold that we were later told had no effect. It was when the bap boosts were tied to chel but you could also buy them. Also since were talking about things ea lied about and you've ignored it twice already, what about when ea advertised legends in franchise right on the case but never delivered and refused to speak on it? Still stand by the statement that your cant lie to us? Or claiming the engine was rebuilt from the ground up only to have to walk that back as well? Care to comment on those?

    I'm talking about what we say here in the forums. If there was a feature advertised on the box that ended up not making it in the game, that's not something I have details on as I'm not responsible for that.

    Ok I get that but then to say EA cant lie is still a falsehood, no? Not only that but id think youd get in more trouble for false advertisement that giving false info on a forum. Again, im sure you and the guys on the dev team are great guys. Doesn't negate the fact that you work for (by popular opinion) one of the worst companies there is when it comes to how they treat their customers.

    Im sorry the hostility comes down on you guys. I truly am, but when people hate my boss and bring something to my attention that isnt moral or right, im obligated by pure morals alone to say something or stand against it amd by continuing to justify their actions, it brings the heat on you which isnt fair but at the same time, you choose to work for them as their go to between them and us and im fairly certain they lie to you as well.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.