EA Forums - Banner

NHL 22 wishlist.

14567810Next

Replies

• d3v1t0
    73 posts Member
    Make the AI not constantly break the laws of physics that completely ruins the experience
  • aklions21
    2 posts New member
    I play mainly franchise mode.
    Would just like more customization options for create a team with jerseys along with arena options, they need to add old gear that may not be as popular anymore, add outdoor games back along with some sort of prospect tourney. In the offseason of franchise mode there always seems to be high level drafted prospects unsigned after they are drafted and able to sign with any team, most teams IRL don't just let their top prospects walk away for nothing.

overall gameplay just wish for more realistic hitting not just massive hits all the time, I adjust the settings with sliders but still can be a little ridiculous.

Make chipping the puck out and dumps more useful, the AI have zero plan half the time when they dump the puck in and they never just chip the puck out of their zone if they are pressured in their D zone, players IRL will chip pucks off the glass and or just chip it out to the neutral zone if they cant make a pass or run out of time.

Would love for the game to have some life and feel to it, the crowd is silent half the time, would be nice if they got into it more with cheers and boo's.

On the ice the players and AI just feel like robots it's actually painful sometimes. Give us a setting or something that allows us to customize the amount of scrums after the whistle or even during the play have the AI start fights more and have actual group scrums in the play and after the whistle, There are tons of examples of play being stopped due to a scrum that both teams join in on resulting in multiple penalties, I get not wanting to promote violence but its in the game in real life why can it not be in its video game counterpart. and do away with the unsportsmanlike calls if you challenge an AI to a fight one time during the play, would love to see the AI take runs at guys along with slash's and accept fights if they do run around at guys. not all fights need to end with a clear knockout either, I know you can win sometimes but dodging at the right time and both fall but its no fun to be constantly doing that.

I just feel these type of things would keep players interested and not bored at the wheel with the same type of gameplay every single game, its so repetitive and that's why it dies out after 2-3 months.

Probably too late now for 22 but maybe for 23 its a possibility.
  • Any news on autosave for nhl22 ? I have just lost a game in Clash Mode due to a loss of connection & it was just EA because my internet did not disconnect.
  • Any news on autosave for nhl22 ? I have just lost a game in Clash Mode due to a loss of connection & it was just EA because my internet did not disconnect.

The good news if anything, the stuff you earn now probably won't carry over to the final game so losing stuff now won't be a huge deal but hopefully EA sees this and can work on a fix. Which is why the closed beta even exists.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Moxrox84 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Moxrox84 wrote: »
    Beating a dead horse probably, but again, shot blocking animations that don't cause trips!

This should only be happening when you drop to block a shot too close to the carrier. There's a brief window where a trip can be caused.

But my point is that we have one shot block animation and it causes a LOT of trips...honestly, when was the last time you saw anyone in the NHL block a shot and trip someone?

NHL players typically know when they can drop to block a shot so that they don't trip someone. This is within your control. I'm not saying the couple of shot-blocking animations that we have are perfect, but you can avoid taking penalties with more disciplined use of it.

To this point, if you get the puck first in these situations, the refs never call a penalty. Even like diving pokes in breakaways that get puck first then take the man out to uncalled.

I do agree with you though, you really have to pick and chose your spots in the game.
  • The main things I want to see in the future (this generation as a whole - too late for 22 at this stage of development more than likely):

1. The AI keeping their momentum better around the ice, they’re way too flat footed in all areas of the ice. Makes balancing puck carrier speed and back skating difficult as how they’re currently programmed, you have to give a speed advantage to back skating if you don’t want to see defensemen get constantly walked. It also would help the offensive side of the puck int eh zone too as even a little momentum really helps you be able to make a quick move with a recently acquired puck. This allow for you to play with the acceleration slider at a much lower/realistic level without seeing some expected lack of game speed due to players being so flat footed rather than the actual game speed being the culprit.

2. When pucks are turned over in the offensive zone, their decision making when it comes to pinching or retreating needs to be made almost instantly. I don’t like seeing defenders get blown past because they’re standing still but then decide to retreat so they don’t even make the carrier make a move/possibly slow down, then just get completely burned without a fight. Idk if this is the FC/NZ slider messing with them, idk if it’s the pinch/hold line slider messing with them, but there’s just a lot of scenarios where they get caught standing still which isn’t great to watch. On this note, even when I set my D to full pinch, they stand still and wait till the puck carrier has beaten their forwards before the D steps down and pinches. I’d like to see these lunches be immediate like they’re going for a loose puck if I set them to full pinch.

3. The defensive team needs to be much better at collapsing when on the Weakside and applying a lot of pressure on the strong-side. There’s really no pressure setting that does this well. High pressure makes the strong side attack like they should and it looks good, but then you see your weakside wing sitting so high and off to the side even on “collapsing” strategy which leaves way to much open ice to take advantage of (which your AI dont) but if I beat my man it’s an uncontested walk to the net.

4. The offensive players need to be much more active and moving to support the puck. The D are so active in the cycle in modern hockey and we need the AI in the offensive zone to start moving a lot more and just finding space/pockets to go to. If the defensive adjustments (#3) get addressed then the balance stays in tact but you a much more dynamic game with more shots, screens, pass attempts, pass interceptions, rebounds, overall chaos that real hockey has that this game lacks.

5. Holding RT and then going up with RS should work the same as the slap pass. I should be able to shoot for a stick with a wrist shot.

6. Slap passes and shooting for sticks should be much more effective. I’ve had much more success in scoring with tips of RS shots than I have with slap pass redirections that make the goalie really move. Also, the redirections off slap passes seem so slow the further out they are when in reality you see a lot of purposeful tips/redirections from the hash mark areas in real life that have tons of speed (and the ones with accuracy as well usually find the net).

7. The defensive pairing tendency/instructions need to be removed and the FC strategies need a complete overhaul. Pinching should be tied to the FC strategy set by the team. We should have a few different forechecks, for example:
    7A. Weak Side Lock: A 1-2-2 variant where the first man in the zone attacks the carrier and forces the play to go behind the net. The second man attacks the new strong side carrier, the 3rd man (for video game purposes) will skate towards where the new strong-side D (original weakside) should be to cover. The new strong-side D pinches on the opponents wing who is more than likely getting the puck in this scenario.
    7B: Strong Side Lock: A 1-2-2 variant that plays exactly like 7A except your original force is to the strong side. First man in cuts off behind the net, 2nd guy attacks the play immediately behind the initial force which should force a pass to the D or wing on the strong side. Strong side D pinches, 3rd forward covers for the immediately as these pinches should be happening almost right when the force is properly applied, shouldn’t be hesitation.
    7C: Weak Wing Lock (made this up, don’t Google it lol): Same concept as 7A but your 3rd forward will now lock the new strong side wing once the play is forced, the D never pinches in this scenario.
    7D: Strong Wing Lock: Same concept as 7B but the 3rd forward in will lock the strong side wing once the play is forced, the D never pinches in this scenario.
    7E: 2-3 Weak: An aggressive variant of 7A. 1st man forces the play to the weakside, second player is immediately applying pressure on the same carrier + finishes the check (goal is to force a pass around the net) and the 3rd forward is sitting in the dead middle of the slot at the hash marks. Once the pass is made, the 3rd forward takes an angle at the new carrier’s inside hip and attempts to force the play up the wall. The new strong side D will start to pinch in the wing, forward one who turned the play is skating diagonally back through the middle of ice as if they’re trying to cover for the pinching D. The OG strong side D is sliding towards the middle as soon as the play is turned and is the safety valve for a potential odd-man rush.
    7F: 2-3 Strong: An aggressive variant of 7B. First forechecker cuts off behind the net, second forechecker is there for immediate pressure to force the puck to either a D on the strong side or the wing and will finish the check on the original puck carrier. The 3rd forward will sit in the dead middle of the slot to cutoff the cross ice pass. The strong side D will pinch on the strong side wing, weakside D will shade a little to the strong side as they have support in the middle from forward 3.

To continue with 7, the offensive pressure levels should dictate how your AI play loose pucks. There should be 3 levels, not 5. Aggressive (strong side players always prioritize the puck over structure.), normal (ratings like oAwareness/aggression determine if the player chooses puck or structure), Passive (players will not contest loose pucks and will prioritize structure).

As far as FC/NZ tendencies go, simplify the scale as well. Forechecking = always forechecking. Normal = solid mix of both (your 5/10 default setting does a good job of mixing it up and determining what to do in 21 from my experience.) Trapping = always setting up the trap.

These changes should allow you to simplify how aggressive you want your team to be while also giving more granular control of your forechecks. With purposeful forechecks + the offensive pressure levels, it should be that much easier to play desperate hockey and smart hockey when you need both respectively. Add in graphics and descriptions to these forechecks to explain their purpose and their risk/aggression level. Have a tutorial that teaches these concepts and how to effectively deploy them. Like this game needs strategic depth. FIFA has it, players “lab” in Madden, this game needs to be deeper than a casual couch game you play with your college roommates to score some sick snipes bro…like we need some actual hockey strategy here.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.
  • I like your ideas a lot. Just hopefully there is at least one important guy in the dev team who don't think that hockey is just about crazy dekes, sick snipes, incredible hits, high speed and my favourite the will to win. About the FC/NZ tendencies, I would like to see something like a quick button which switches between forecheck and neutral zone systems, especially if the user don't want to rely on normal. That way it could be possible to have really fluid and realistic system where the user him/herself is in total control in choosing the correct off the puck approach. Who knows, perhaps actual strategical hockey knowledge could create some skillgap.
  • The main things I want to see in the future (this generation as a whole - too late for 22 at this stage of development more than likely):
    <book deleted>
    This forum has missed your insights sir. Welcome back.

Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Zkibu wrote: »
    I like your ideas a lot. Just hopefully there is at least one important guy in the dev team who don't think that hockey is just about crazy dekes, sick snipes, incredible hits, high speed and my favourite the will to win. About the FC/NZ tendencies, I would like to see something like a quick button which switches between forecheck and neutral zone systems, especially if the user don't want to rely on normal. That way it could be possible to have really fluid and realistic system where the user him/herself is in total control in choosing the correct off the puck approach. Who knows, perhaps actual strategical hockey knowledge could create some skillgap.

Yeah this is why I want to cut down on the amount of options. With your D pad, it isn’t terribly hard to switch your pressure and FC/NZ settings, the issue is they both have 5 levels rather than 3. With 3, I see humans easily able to manually use the dpad to force their players into doing the desired action in real time. The “normal” setting is honestly me thinking about an AI opponent. I don’t want the AI to only be off or on, I’d like for some variation when playing offline.
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    The main things I want to see in the future (this generation as a whole - too late for 22 at this stage of development more than likely):
    <book deleted>
    This forum has missed your insights sir. Welcome back.

Appreciate it. You as well. I needed to get my first book out of the way 😂
  • Definitely couch co-op. I still have to play NHL on my old PS3, whenever I want to enjoy a couple of beers with my friends and play coop hockey together at our place. It is a travesty that they removed such a simple yet beautiful feature of the franchise. With the current iteration, it's not much fun.
  • I can't believe that they still have the terrible silhouettes for players without photos in. Why can't you default them to their avatar like you do for your Be a Pro?