EA Forums - Banner

Patch made everything worse?

Am I the only one feeling this?

I feel like the AI is 10x worse now and every cross crease goes through even if you’re standing flush against the odd man. Pre patch that was way to stop it but now seems like they’re going through every time. Not to mention the puck pickups are garbage

Replies

• Seems worse to me unless you like games that end with scores like 8-7. They literally made one timers easier to pull off and the D still plays like total idiots.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1664 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    I played one game last night and it did appear the cross-crease passes were getting through the A.I. a little easier.

I also noticed transitioning to backskating with vision control (w/o the puck) is just a tiny bit slower.
  • I would find it really strange if things got worst with this patch considering the fixes they did had mainly to do with AI errors.

Fixes to cases where tripping penalties were being missed
    Updated dive block animations to be more flush to the ice
    Fix for users being forced out of vision control when receiving a manual saucer pass
    Fixed a case where one-timers from specific pass angles were weaker than expected
    Fixed a case where players were not being called for goalie interference when hitting the goaltender after taking a shot
    Various Desync fixes

AI

Fixed a case where the AI would get stuck behind the net during a breakout
    Improved situations where defensive AI players would lose their assignments off a faceoff tie up loss
    Fixed an issue where defenders would skate away from the play if their target went for a line change.

This things was the only fix that could affect the gameplay.

Most clear for me is that I get much more powerplays cause of tripping and I seem to be more tight to get through with my defense.

But of course every patch will affect some people in a good way and some people in a bad way, it depends on how we play. How A.I acts on the ice, is 95-98% because of how we move the player we got in control.

I can only judge my own game, but it become much better sence the patch.
  • thegarden94
    457 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    Don't care who comes on here and says that they don't favor the offense because they are clearly lying ,clips have already been provided by a number of people clearly showing how op the cross crease passes are ,the defensive AI completely abandoning his position or not being in position for us to switch to him and the few times he is the puck some how still manges to get through , again I say this game is clearly not balanced and it's not by accident
    Post edited by thegarden94 on
  • I played one game last night and it did appear the cross-crease passes were getting through the A.I. a little easier.

I also noticed transitioning to backskating with vision control (w/o the puck) is just a tiny bit slower.
    Wonderful. I am wondering if I should wait until the NEXT patch/tuner gets dropped before burning the rest of my trial. How could they think making defense WORSE was the way to go here?!

smh
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Sega82mega
    3285 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    I played one game last night and it did appear the cross-crease passes were getting through the A.I. a little easier.

Wonderful. I am wondering if I should wait until the NEXT patch/tuner gets dropped before burning the rest of my trial. How could they think making defense WORSE was the way to go here?!

smh

And if I say they made defense better...?

Thats the thing.. There's no right or wrong for everyone. All you can do is to try it out yourself and see what you think.

But if I 'know you', yeah you might have to wait until next patch, but something tells me you will probebly never completely accept 21. So maybe put your hope to 22.

* Hope you don't get this the wrong way, just sayin.

And one other thing, defense isn't really the problem here, it's mainly about offens, and especially - one - thing, how they pretty easy can turn away from players and at the same time deliver unreal passes that makes your whole defense out of step.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »

smh

I think it's worth it to play at least one game to feel the differences.
  • I played one game last night and it did appear the cross-crease passes were getting through the A.I. a little easier.

Yup.. think you’ll find that it’s not just one game

Passes go through way way easier, LT is still OP, puck pickups worse than ever, puck control is through the roof. If this is what the game is going to be here on out I honestly think I’m just not gonna play online.
  • IceLion68
    1239 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    If you and others were saying this then obviously I would give it a go. I am a bit confused....*are* you saying this? I havent seen anyone saying the patch has made playing D better. I am not sure what you are getting at here. I am totally openminded about this. I *want* to like this game again.
    That's the thing.. There's no right or wrong for everyone. All you can do is to try it out yourself and see what you think.
    Well I only play D in CHEL. If they have made a patch that allow the already lamentably OP cross crease even easier without making any changes to defense then I don't really think I need to try it. I can wait.
    But if I 'know you', yeah you might have to wait until next patch, but something tells me you will probebly never completely accept 21. So maybe put your hope to 22.

And one other thing, defense isn't really the problem here, it's mainly about offens, and especially - one - thing, how they pretty easy can turn away from players and at the same time deliver unreal passes that makes your whole defense out of step.

This may have been a wording problem on my part; what I mean is playing defense is now even worse by virtue of making offense more OP and making no actual changes to playing defense.

I am still open to liking the game, but in it's current state, where I only play D in WoC, it is really not fun at all. I am not going to spend money in hopes that I might at some point find the current state of it fun or in hopes they make changes that makes it fun (for me).

So I will continue to wait and be judicious about how I spend my trial time and see what the next patch(es) brings.

Until then, given what I am reading, I would be wasting my trial time on the state it is in right now.
    If you and others were saying this then obviously I would give it a go. I am a bit confused....*are* you saying this? I havent seen anyone saying the patch has made playing D better. I am not sure what you are getting at here. I am totally openminded about this. I *want* to like this game again.
    That's the thing.. There's no right or wrong for everyone. All you can do is to try it out yourself and see what you think.
    Well I only play D in CHEL. If they have made a patch that allow the already lamentably OP cross crease even easier without making any changes to defense then I don't really think I need to try it. I can wait.

This may have been a wording problem on my part; what I mean is playing defense is now even worse by virtue of making offense more OP and making no actual changes to playing defense.

I am still open to liking the game, but in it's current state, where I only play D in WoC, it is really not fun at all. I am not going to spend money in hopes that I might at some point find the current state of it fun or in hopes they make changes that makes it fun (for me).

So I will continue to wait and be judicious about how I spend my trial time and see what the next patch(es) brings.

Until then, given what I am reading, I would be wasting my trial time on the state it is in right now.

I see I see.

I think if you gonna like 21, you would have to feel 19,20 was pretty decent games.

I did that and I feel 21 is miles better then this previous games.

But still, I hope I can put it this way without anyone being offended, but for thoose that dont really pay attention to the small details, will probebly classify 21 as like any hockey game this last couple of years.

I like 21, I think its a good game, all tough, some of this old NHL series habits is still there, I can get abit bored, if I play too much over a time.

Maybe some Christmas sale comes up for you to snag it.. 😊
  • IceLion68
    1239 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    I see I see.

I think if you gonna like 21, you would have to feel 19,20 was pretty decent games.

But still, I hope I can put it this way without anyone being offended, but for thoose that dont really pay attention to the small details, will probebly classify 21 as like any hockey game this last couple of years.

I like 21, I think its a good game, all tough, some of this old NHL series habits is still there, I can get abit bored, if I play too much over a time.

Well, the game mode you play makes all the difference. I liked 19 and 20. But playing D in WoC 21 is a bit of a dumpster fire so far from what I have seen between the tech test and my trial.

I am sure for what you're doing, and in some ways, 21 is better than previous games. And as I have stated, I am not saying I haven't seen improvements but overall it's just not fun for me.

I have had my fair share of criticisms of this game over the years but I have always enjoyed it and even defended it sometimes here, so I am no"hater". But this year is just not doing it for me. It gives me no pleasure to say so.

EDIT: And let me be clear. In it's current state it's worth 0 dollars to me so a Christmas sale will make no difference. I have lots of other games to play.
    I see I see.

Well, the game mode you play makes all the difference. I liked 19 and 20. But playing D in WoC 21 is a bit of a dumpster fire so far from what I have seen between the tech test and my trial.

I am sure for what you're doing, and in some ways, 21 is better than previous games. And as I have stated, I am not saying I haven't seen improvements but overall it's just not fun for me.

I have had my fair share of criticisms of this game over the years but I have always enjoyed it and even defended it sometimes here, so I am no"hater". But this year is just not doing it for me. It gives me no pleasure to say so.

EDIT: And let me be clear. In it's current state it's worth 0 dollars to me so a Christmas sale will make no difference. I have lots of other games to play.

If you don't like the game and don't need to have a hockey game in your life just shelve this until its free in May.

If you think you will have to return to this series at some point then you may as well play it now because this series is iterative. What you see on D will likely be what's built upon for the next 3 games. Get used to playing it the new way and adjust your expectations to a new level because I highly doubt it's changing.
  • God I hope it doesn’t go back to nhl 20!!!!
  • the game is broken. after the patch is was more easy in SB vs CPU. Since last night the CPU play like crazy, i can't stop it,its like nhl 20. i did have a weird thing also; i was controlling my player behind the net and another player intercept the pass in the crease and he shoot, yes my player controlled by AI shoot while i was controlling another player
  • God I hope it doesn’t go back to nhl 20!!!!
    20 was still more fun for me than this.
    God I hope it doesn’t go back to nhl 20!!!!
    20 was still more fun for me than this.

At least in 20 you couldn't force Cross Crease passes through 3 players ,legs ,skates and sticks , you had to work for your goals a little at least ,the defensive AI had some kind of positioning around the net ,21 is a laughable game clearly the worse of the whole series in my opinion