EA Forums - Banner

Is This What Rivals Is Like?

Hey all. I'm new to HUT in NHL. Just picked the game up over Christmas and have been playing offline and building my team a bit. Really enjoying it, but I decided to give Rivals a spin.

I'll freely admit that sometimes Pro AI can beat me (though I'm getting better!) before anyone shouts "git gud!" :D

In my placement games, I'm getting absolutely annihilated. Played three so far, and my opponents never seem to stop sprinting, never worry in the slightest about defending (other than constant checking) and I'm under pressure from the very first second. It feels like they have three players rushing the puck carrier at all times. If I win a faceoff, I've instantly got nowhere to go because I have two opponents an inch in front of me by the time the receiver gets the puck. It's relentless.

Went down 0-7, 2-7, and 0-11 so far. Third guy was still hitting full pressure at all times, even when he was 10-0 up with a minute to go in the third. Never stopped sprinting. I try to keep my defencemen in place, but I'm CONSTANTLY being caught 2-on-1. Every goal I've conceded so far has been odd-man rush...pass across the goal...bang. Which tactic do I employ to stop my defenders just roaming off to smell the flowers while the opponent has a free attacker stood combing his hair while he waits for the inevitable pass?

Don't get me wrong...I EXPECT to lose. I'm not very good. I know it! But is this how Rivals is all the time? I get that it's a fast game and a fast sport, but damn. Just trying to work out whether I should persevere or stick to offline play, more than anything. Are there any tips anyone can pass on (beyond "don't be terrible at NHL")?

Replies

• "never seem to stop sprinting, never worry in the slightest about defending (other than constant checking) and I'm under pressure from the very first second"

You got your answer in your own question. You found out the 'META' now you just have to do it better and faster then your opponent.

I dont like it but thats the best 'strategy' if you wanna get "good" fast and win games, but I wouldn’t say it's so much hockey fashion in that way of playing.
  • [quote="SuperKMX_39;d-267922"]Hey all. I'm new to HUT in NHL. Just picked the game up over Christmas and have been playing offline and building my team a bit. Really enjoying it, but I decided to give Rivals a spin.

I'll freely admit that sometimes Pro AI can beat me (though I'm getting better!) before anyone shouts "git gud!" :D

In my placement games, I'm getting absolutely annihilated. Played three so far, and my opponents never seem to stop sprinting, never worry in the slightest about defending (other than constant checking) and I'm under pressure from the very first second. It feels like they have three players rushing the puck carrier at all times. If I win a faceoff, I've instantly got nowhere to go because I have two opponents an inch in front of me by the time the receiver gets the puck. It's relentless.

Went down 0-7, 2-7, and 0-11 so far. Third guy was still hitting full pressure at all times, even when he was 10-0 up with a minute to go in the third. Never stopped sprinting. I try to keep my defencemen in place, but I'm CONSTANTLY being caught 2-on-1. Every goal I've conceded so far has been odd-man rush...pass across the goal...bang. Which tactic do I employ to stop my defenders just roaming off to smell the flowers while the opponent has a free attacker stood combing his hair while he waits for the inevitable pass?

Don't get me wrong...I EXPECT to lose. I'm not very good. I know it! But is this how Rivals is all the time? I get that it's a fast game and a fast sport, but damn. Just trying to work out whether I should persevere or stick to offline play, more than anything. Are there any tips anyone can pass on (beyond "don't be terrible at NHL")?[/quote]

I suggest not playing HUT, it is not a fun game mode anymore. Just work on franchise, or BAP to scratch the hockey itch? I'm shocked at how poor the online play is in this game, and the EA team will just ask you to post videos that you'll have to figure out how to upload because they don't have any source for you to do it with in-game, yet they ask for one eberytime. You'd figure they've seen enough of the bull to not need another video to show them what shhh... it is.
  • Nor is conservative gameplay rewarded, like they suggest to play like. It was my go to strategy, having played hockey all my life, knowing about patience and vision and to not force anything. With defensive/conservative strategies used i am still being scored on nearly everytime a pass to the slot happens because no defender wants to pick up the puck and likes to watch it go right by them, I'm giving up with online play against other people, it makes me sick, I can't stand it, and I'm throughly disappointed in EA for ruining my favourite sport's only video game.
  • Thanks for the replies, folks. You've confirmed my fears, sadly. I thought I was just getting unlucky during placements with my matchups so that I was facing folks who hold down sprint and scream at the screen for the whole time they're playing. But that isn't the case, it seems.

Lost my 4th placement 4-0, then somehow won my last one 5-2. The final one was a much slower-paced game with some actual tactics going on, it seemed. Got placed in Div 8 and scored in my first game within the first minute. Figured I was at my correct skill level and that things would be more fun from here.

Then my opponent woke up, held down sprint from whistle to whistle, pushed every player toward the puck-carrier relentlessly and just relied on his goaltender to bail him out, while I conceded 5 unanswered two-on-one rushes. I guess that's just the way of it, like you say.

*dances all the way back to Squad Battles*
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    "patience and vision and to not force anything"

I hope that will be true some day.

I would like to see more separation on the ice and that you can plan 2-3 steps ahead before you execute your play. People that only hold down sprint from whistle to whistle, and push every player toward the puck-carrier, should be damage much more and leaving big surface behind them for the opponent to take advantage of, - If - he is playing with more strategy and don't just rush like a fool.

It feels abit like after every pass a player receive, the mind is set to 'sprint + score'. But in reality it usally takes much patience and time to build up a play that - could - lead to a scoring chance.

Thats something I need to see more of too, really nice set ups that eventually lead to a goal - it's really difficult to score a real "feel good" goal, were you did everything right from the start to the end. Maybe it's just me - but it often takes stop somewere along the road because of some corny thing that stuck up my play.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

I would like to see more separation on the ice and that you can plan 2-3 steps ahead before you execute your play. People that only hold down sprint from whistle to whistle, and push every player toward the puck-carrier, should be damage much more and leaving big surface behind them for the opponent to take advantage of, - If - he is playing with more strategy and don't just rush like a fool.

It feels abit like after every pass a player receive, the mind is set to 'sprint + score'. But in reality it usally takes much patience and time to build up a play that - could - lead to a scoring chance.

Thats something I need to see more of too, really nice set ups that eventually lead to a goal - it's really difficult to score a real "feel good" goal, were you did everything right from the start to the end. Maybe it's just me - but it often takes stop somewere along the road because of some corny thing that stuck up my play.

Why set up nice plays when EA has made it so you can cross crease passes all the time with about 75% accuracy ,there is nothing in this game that represents hockey
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Why set up nice plays when EA has made it so you can cross crease passes all the time with about 75% accuracy ,there is nothing in this game that represents hockey

... The ice has the same color.

Hehe naah, I know you are not as big of a fan of this game as I am, but I am a long way from being totally satisfied with this game.

Because people know that you can, more or less, force some plays, especially cross creases, and with speed. Thoose two elements seem to affect the generally gameplay in a really bad way.

There is alot that I like about this game, especially if I play against the CPU, and that makes it pretty clear for me, that this game isn't really programmed to work online, especially when your opponent's know enough tricks to completely destroy the game flow.