EA Forums - Banner

Toxicity

Replies

• EA_Blueberry
    4148 posts EA Community Manager
    Reached out to the team and was able to get some info on puck ragging.

First, the blown out tire feature wasn't intended to combat puck ragging. That was designed to limit players from performing unrealistic movements beyond what an individual was capable of doing at skating. This usually was triggered when the player would twitch back and forth. At first thought of this decision is made great sense for implementation, but as time went on there were too many cases where players were getting hit with the blown tire feature leading to confusion/frustration. It happened too often where the team decided to go in a different direction with a new skating design in the new system. We also received feedback from parts of the community where they wanted more control of AI for defense.

Second, will it be re-added into the game? The answer right now is there are no plans for it to be.

Third, if it's not going to be added what are you going to do about puck ragging?

There are other ways to combat puck ragging rather than implementing a specific feature tied directly to it. One example is the team improved forechecking this year and in many cases, it's possible players struggling to get the puck back from the opponent never had full forecheck enabled. Another is to improve overall AI defensive awareness in future titles.

We all know ragging the puck isn't the most sportsmanship-like move. Nobody likes "campers" in FPS games either. It's that unwritten rule everyone does their best to follow. Sure, the team could implement "reporting features" where you can report a player for ragging the puck, however when this is something NHL players do from time to time it's tough to justify someone's account should be penalized for it.

We're all welcome to discussions around this topic, including defensive tips in order to learn best practices from each other, spitball ideas on what we could do to encourage players not to rag the puck (in-game messaging system with GG's to drive positive re-enforcement for good behavior), and even advice on how to improve your offense so you're able to limit the amount of times you come across this situation because ultimately, it's because you're down a goal.

• Dude don’t quote the entire thing twice to reply lol
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Reached out to the team and was able to get some info on puck ragging.

First, the blown out tire feature wasn't intended to combat puck ragging. That was designed to limit players from performing unrealistic movements beyond what an individual was capable of doing at skating. This usually was triggered when the player would twitch back and forth. At first thought of this decision is made great sense for implementation, but as time went on there were too many cases where players were getting hit with the blown tire feature leading to confusion/frustration. It happened too often where the team decided to go in a different direction with a new skating design in the new system. We also received feedback from parts of the community where they wanted more control of AI for defense.

Second, will it be re-added into the game? The answer right now is there are no plans for it to be.

Third, if it's not going to be added what are you going to do about puck ragging?

There are other ways to combat puck ragging rather than implementing a specific feature tied directly to it. One example is the team improved forechecking this year and in many cases, it's possible players struggling to get the puck back from the opponent never had full forecheck enabled. Another is to improve overall AI defensive awareness in future titles.

We all know ragging the puck isn't the most sportsmanship-like move. Nobody likes "campers" in FPS games either. It's that unwritten rule everyone does their best to follow. Sure, the team could implement "reporting features" where you can report a player for ragging the puck, however when this is something NHL players do from time to time it's tough to justify someone's account should be penalized for it.

We're all welcome to discussions around this topic, including defensive tips in order to learn best practices from each other, spitball ideas on what we could do to encourage players not to rag the puck (in-game messaging system with GG's to drive positive re-enforcement for good behavior), and even advice on how to improve your offense so you're able to limit the amount of times you come across this situation because ultimately, it's because you're down a goal.

I mean, it’s a noble effort but setting your AI to “full forecheck” certainly does not result in your AI actually wanting the puck. I think we’ve all seen my many posts stating that my AI defensemen will NOT pinch when set to full pinch, full forecheck, full attack, and my goalie pulled, so I’m not buying that as a legitimate solution. I mean, they will adhere to the forecheck strategy most of the time when you try that “solution” but they certainly do not know how to properly attack the carrier after the human has turned the play towards the direction they want. I’m not here to shoot the messenger, but would you please tell the dev team that we need a “help” or “press” button for one, and two, that the AI actually needs to understand to not take the same exact path that the user does. I’ve seen my own AI play “follow the leader” if you will when I turn the play, meaning they’ll be right behind me doing absolutely nothing productive.
  • Sega82mega
    2643 posts Member
    edited January 14
    TrustStevieY said: Would it not be possible to add like a quick strategy option where you can order another ai forward to press the guy who keeps ragging behind his net? The issue is you follow the guy behind the net but he gets too far out the other side before the ai tracks him but never follows him so you switch to that player only for your ai on the other side to have backed up enough for him to do it again, regardless of the strategies you set.

How about a quick option to tell an ai forward to "get his raggin ****"? Lol. That way as i attack from one side the ai does the same on the other instead of backing up enough to give him room to repeat it. Just an idea. "

Yeah something like that!

I would like to be able to switch between players with help from a button selection.

"X" or "O" for example, over the head of the player you wanna switch to. (there's too many times were you don't get the player you want/need to have the very same second you "click" for it)

I would also like if they could "protect areas" better, if I skate a player to what I consider is a good spot to be and then switch to another player, I would like to have the first guy 'hovering' in small circles in that area I left him. Would be easier to cover importen surface on the ice that way, if I see the opponent closing in to that area, a fast click "X" and I got control over that player again.

More freedom to decide over your AI and how I want them to act.

• jrago73 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    I remember back in BETA 19, were people didn't really knew yet how to become a pain in the.. And by somehow the games often resemble real life hockey. I have never given and received so many "GG's" as I did then.

We could even talk after the game about situations from the game, like 'you remember that "cool stuff' that happen in 2nd period... Great move!", "thanks I was lucky"... And so on. There was a humility I haven’t experience in a long time, I miss that.

But I really do think, for that to come back, there can't be too many ways to 'cheat' your way to victory, people tend to 'hate' that. It gives you the feeling that the win was unfair and it also gives too many "excuses" to why you lost.

Real hockey skill would bring the humility back to life! ❤️

In some of our other EA games, they have messages that can be sent out at the end of games from a list so you don't have to go out of your way into Xbox/PlayStation chat settings to send it. I hope we continue to see those options in the future.

GG
    Great game, rematch?
    We should play again sometime. Friend request?
    You're really good

Just some examples that would be nice to send to each other.

It's all well and good that EA is implementing these quick-chat options in other titles with a hope it comes to NHL, but what is being done about players who rag the puck?

You will be able choose not to tell them GG.

Not tell them GG?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47wuzb8bzjwq0b3cdherrzr8vetieo41arhz0sz41g&rid=giphy.gif

@EA_Blueberry what was that ref actually reacting to?
  • kyl_35 wrote: »

Hehe good, next time he will know... He can't do that.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4148 posts EA Community Manager

I mean, it’s a noble effort but setting your AI to “full forecheck” certainly does not result in your AI actually wanting the puck. I think we’ve all seen my many posts stating that my AI defensemen will NOT pinch when set to full pinch, full forecheck, full attack, and my goalie pulled, so I’m not buying that as a legitimate solution. I mean, they will adhere to the forecheck strategy most of the time when you try that “solution” but they certainly do not know how to properly attack the carrier after the human has turned the play towards the direction they want. I’m not here to shoot the messenger, but would you please tell the dev team that we need a “help” or “press” button for one, and two, that the AI actually needs to understand to not take the same exact path that the user does. I’ve seen my own AI play “follow the leader” if you will when I turn the play, meaning they’ll be right behind me doing absolutely nothing productive.

@Sega82mega @TrustStevieY

We had a discussion on ragging earlier this year where that idea was thrown in. I think it makes sense if it can be done right. I'm sure it would have to be a strategy that is only available at the end of the 3rd period otherwise I can see advanced players using it at the right time to rush players, potentially abusing the mechanic.

A feature like that involves testing the AI against various formations the opponent is using, so if they plan to add a mechanic such as that it won't be until NHL 22 at the earliest. This is a great example of what we can relay to the team so they can brainstorm on ways to combat it.

@jrago73

I'm not really sure what the ref was doing but it was a solid GIF for a forum reply.

• I mean, it’s a noble effort but setting your AI to “full forecheck” certainly does not result in your AI actually wanting the puck. I think we’ve all seen my many posts stating that my AI defensemen will NOT pinch when set to full pinch, full forecheck, full attack, and my goalie pulled, so I’m not buying that as a legitimate solution. I mean, they will adhere to the forecheck strategy most of the time when you try that “solution” but they certainly do not know how to properly attack the carrier after the human has turned the play towards the direction they want. I’m not here to shoot the messenger, but would you please tell the dev team that we need a “help” or “press” button for one, and two, that the AI actually needs to understand to not take the same exact path that the user does. I’ve seen my own AI play “follow the leader” if you will when I turn the play, meaning they’ll be right behind me doing absolutely nothing productive.

We had a discussion on ragging earlier this year where that idea was thrown in. I think it makes sense if it can be done right. I'm sure it would have to be a strategy that is only available at the end of the 3rd period otherwise I can see advanced players using it at the right time to rush players, potentially abusing the mechanic.

A feature like that involves testing the AI against various formations the opponent is using, so if they plan to add a mechanic such as that it won't be until NHL 22 at the earliest. This is a great example of what we can relay to the team so they can brainstorm on ways to combat it.

@jrago73

I'm not really sure what the ref was doing but it was a solid GIF for a forum reply.

Looking forward to see what comes out of it.

Some thoughts about ragging, in every game we play, 1vs1, one side will always be the better the stronger, if the better player takes the lead, but still not sure he will beat the other player by playing fair, it often results in a rag. That will never be easy to prevent. EA can give us good conditions but they can't affect every persons skill level.

But to somehow get it as good as it can, I bealive that if you play to cautiously, refuse to attack but still just keep the puck to yourself, that behavior deserves to punish itself, at the same way as if you only go full attack, that should also be easy to take advantage of.

I think its a question of balance, the player that have the best balance between - knowing when to attack and when to hold back, that should be the key thing, in the decision of who deserves to win.
  • HurricaneFza
    404 posts Member
    edited January 14

@jrago73

You won't add a double team option out of fear that players will abuse it, why isn't there the same thought process regarding things that are being abused now? LT, back skating, puck protection and board play are just a few. If you're so concerned about abuse, why do you allow these things to be abused year after year?

• I mean, it’s a noble effort but setting your AI to “full forecheck” certainly does not result in your AI actually wanting the puck. I think we’ve all seen my many posts stating that my AI defensemen will NOT pinch when set to full pinch, full forecheck, full attack, and my goalie pulled, so I’m not buying that as a legitimate solution. I mean, they will adhere to the forecheck strategy most of the time when you try that “solution” but they certainly do not know how to properly attack the carrier after the human has turned the play towards the direction they want. I’m not here to shoot the messenger, but would you please tell the dev team that we need a “help” or “press” button for one, and two, that the AI actually needs to understand to not take the same exact path that the user does. I’ve seen my own AI play “follow the leader” if you will when I turn the play, meaning they’ll be right behind me doing absolutely nothing productive.

@jrago73

The ref turned his mic on prematurely whilst still explaining his call to the penalized player.

@jrago73

You won't add a double team option out of fear that players will abuse it, why isn't there the same thought process regarding things that are being abused now? LT, back skating, puck protection and board play are just a few. If you're so concerned about abuse, why do you allow these things to be abused year after year?

Yesterday I played club against some my former club. All they did to win was exploit the game. I smashed my controller and Playstation mid game due to frustration. Servers were flawless, though as they haven't been since release in Northwest. Hopefully that part isn't just a playoffs thing... As for gameplay, my opponents ragged the puck right at the start, then back skated, along used the puck on the string glitch nearby the blueline or the self saucer pass. As a defensemen I tried to go 1 on 1, I hit them at the blueline and they got up with the puck attached to their stick still, then back skated again to lure a tripping penalty. They eventually went for the cross-crease or short side blocker glitches that have been apart of the game for years, but have gotten more difficult to stop. I almost want to do a video where I show every exploit in this game... Might get suspended for it, but to prove this theory it might need to be done so they actually can see and do something or nobody is going to play this game. Not one person I know from old PS3/Xbox 360 generation plays this current arcade, fortnite style type of hockey game anymore and I'm seeing why now.

I have been a longtime gamer, and this is the first time I have ever been this fed up and frustrated, as I paid good money for a broken game...
  • Sega82mega
    2643 posts Member
    edited January 15

@jrago73

Yesterday I played club against some my former club. All they did to win was exploit the game. I smashed my controller and Playstation mid game due to frustration. Servers were flawless, though as they haven't been since release in Northwest. Hopefully that part isn't just a playoffs thing... As for gameplay, my opponents ragged the puck right at the start, then back skated, along used the puck on the string glitch nearby the blueline or the self saucer pass. As a defensemen I tried to go 1 on 1, I hit them at the blueline and they got up with the puck attached to their stick still, then back skated again to lure a tripping penalty. They eventually went for the cross-crease or short side blocker glitches that have been apart of the game for years, but have gotten more difficult to stop. I almost want to do a video where I show every exploit in this game... Might get suspended for it, but to prove this theory it might need to be done so they actually can see and do something or nobody is going to play this game. Not one person I know from old PS3/Xbox 360 generation plays this current arcade, fortnite style type of hockey game anymore and I'm seeing why now.

I have been a longtime gamer, and this is the first time I have ever been this fed up and frustrated, as I paid good money for a broken game...

So you have no playstation anymore?...

Thats abit crazy... Half of me understand, unfortunately this game can be painful from time to time, but to not risk your mental health, take a step back, I have decided to not go all in and compete by any means necessary, I have a pretty skill-ful way of playing, but it dosent directly give me alot of winning. But I have high puck posseion and gets to shot alot and above all - I have fun, but as soon as I start winning too many games in a row - eventually my playstyle can't keep up and fun gets really frustrating. Thats when its good to just take a break, or to loose some games so you match up against more 'normal' peeps.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

@jrago73

Thats abit crazy... Half of me understand, unfortunately this game can be painful from time to time, but to not risk your mental health, take a step back, I have decided to not go all in and compete by any means necessary, I have a pretty skill-ful way of playing, but it dosent directly give me alot of winning. But I have high puck posseion and gets to shot alot and above all - I have fun, but as soon as I start winning too many games in a row - eventually my playstyle can't keep up and fun gets really frustrating. Thats when its good to just take a break, or to loose some games so you match up against more 'normal' peeps.

Unfortunately I have taken 2 weeks off from this game. Was in the Leafs gaming tournament and had to opt out as I was getting 500 ping being from Northern BC. One of the top 6 players I went against also opted out as he was dealing with the same issue in Quebec. But today my club decided to play and we cannot see the opponents during playoffs. The whole team wins by exploits. 3 guys have IP booted hundreds of gamers and nothing has been done about it. I think if they made a couple changes to this game, like deal with the servers as priority, then find a way to make it so goalies can react better to pucks. Goals shouldn't be this easy that even the most unskilled can exploit them is all I'm really trying to say. And the racism is a major problem with certain team names. Posted here about a team who had racial slurs in their club and player names. They also booted us twice last year, but are still online and have went even worse. If we beat them they threaten to IP boot us again. I sent screenshots of that and nothing is being done... But before I go off topic, I just want the toxicity to be dealt with accordingly...
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

@jrago73

Unfortunately I have taken 2 weeks off from this game. Was in the Leafs gaming tournament and had to opt out as I was getting 500 ping being from Northern BC. One of the top 6 players I went against also opted out as he was dealing with the same issue in Quebec. But today my club decided to play and we cannot see the opponents during playoffs. The whole team wins by exploits. 3 guys have IP booted hundreds of gamers and nothing has been done about it. I think if they made a couple changes to this game, like deal with the servers as priority, then find a way to make it so goalies can react better to pucks. Goals shouldn't be this easy that even the most unskilled can exploit them is all I'm really trying to say. And the racism is a major problem with certain team names. Posted here about a team who had racial slurs in their club and player names. They also booted us twice last year, but are still online and have went even worse. If we beat them they threaten to IP boot us again. I sent screenshots of that and nothing is being done... But before I go off topic, I just want the toxicity to be dealt with accordingly...

Todays gaming warfare: threaten to IP boot, hehe what happen with an eye for an eye... Best Combatant gets the victory.

I agree the toxicity is awful, but I dont think its that easy to 'just get rid of it', but I hope something more can be done.
  • I think EA should set up an online apparatus that allows us to submit Gamertags and videos of players who puck rag - and EA should implement temporary bans on players where there's proof of them ragging the puck - and permanent bans to those who've received a temporary ban and still abuse the game.

Another solution is implementing a vote/badge system for sportsmanship.

Each user - across all online game modes - should be able to receive accolades from other players. And when you receive a certain amount of positive votes and feedback from other online players, your gamertag is shown with a special icon or badge that indicates you have been voted as a great player to play with.

I've suggested this before with a lot of people saying 'well people will just give you bad ratings when you beat them'. The solution to that? Only allow positive votes. No negative votes.

What does this do? It entices players to play in a way that results in the players they match up with to vote positively for them in order to obtain the special badge.

Little things like this - putting a spotlight or highlighting players who've played in a way that receives a lot of positive feedback - would really go a long way, IMO, in ridding the community of some toxicity.