EA Forums - Banner

Toxicity

Replies

• Sega82mega
    3114 posts Member
    edited January 15
    I think EA should set up an online apparatus that allows us to submit Gamertags and videos of players who puck rag - and EA should implement temporary bans on players where there's proof of them ragging the puck - and permanent bans to those who've received a temporary ban and still abuse the game.

Another solution is implementing a vote/badge system for sportsmanship.

Each user - across all online game modes - should be able to receive accolades from other players. And when you receive a certain amount of positive votes and feedback from other online players, your gamertag is shown with a special icon or badge that indicates you have been voted as a great player to play with.

I've suggested this before with a lot of people saying 'well people will just give you bad ratings when you beat them'. The solution to that? Only allow positive votes. No negative votes.

What does this do? It entices players to play in a way that results in the players they match up with to vote positively for them in order to obtain the special badge.

Little things like this - putting a spotlight or highlighting players who've played in a way that receives a lot of positive feedback - would really go a long way, IMO, in ridding the community of some toxicity.

So that EA can be some type of 'control room' that keep watch over us. Almost like an IRL referee... If they have the time and resources for that, I would love that to happen. Maybe they don't even have to 'be there all the time'.. I dont know if you guys have speed limits cameras along the roads.. Many of this cameras isn't up and running, but that dosent mather, cause the fear of the camera is enough for people to slow down... Maybe this could work the same.. EA gets some people that rag now and then, to set an example, and after that people might not rag because there's a risk to get caught.

And that thing about positive feedback
    is good.. , one good thing will lead to another.

Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • untouchable_BF1
    1129 posts Member
    edited January 15

I mean, it’s a noble effort but setting your AI to “full forecheck” certainly does not result in your AI actually wanting the puck. I think we’ve all seen my many posts stating that my AI defensemen will NOT pinch when set to full pinch, full forecheck, full attack, and my goalie pulled, so I’m not buying that as a legitimate solution. I mean, they will adhere to the forecheck strategy most of the time when you try that “solution” but they certainly do not know how to properly attack the carrier after the human has turned the play towards the direction they want. I’m not here to shoot the messenger, but would you please tell the dev team that we need a “help” or “press” button for one, and two, that the AI actually needs to understand to not take the same exact path that the user does. I’ve seen my own AI play “follow the leader” if you will when I turn the play, meaning they’ll be right behind me doing absolutely nothing productive.

@Sega82mega @TrustStevieY

We had a discussion on ragging earlier this year where that idea was thrown in. I think it makes sense if it can be done right. I'm sure it would have to be a strategy that is only available at the end of the 3rd period otherwise I can see advanced players using it at the right time to rush players, potentially abusing the mechanic.

A feature like that involves testing the AI against various formations the opponent is using, so if they plan to add a mechanic such as that it won't be until NHL 22 at the earliest. This is a great example of what we can relay to the team so they can brainstorm on ways to combat it.

@jrago73

I'm not really sure what the ref was doing but it was a solid GIF for a forum reply.

Why would a heavy forecheck be an “exploit” or something that can only be done late in games? Have you played the FIFA series before it was awful? The “2nd man press” button was awesome as it allowed the user to call a 2nd player to directly pressure the ball and you the user could use said pressure to take away an option which actually allowed you to corner your opponent if they ball hogged and just went for skill moves.

I don’t see any reason as to why this mechanic shouldn’t be available now and for the entire game. If my opponent can’t handle my press and constantly isn’t looking at the play 2-4 steps ahead, then they will have a lot of issues with the press. Hockey, like any other competitive sport or game, is dominated by players who see plays before they happen. If my opponent is pressing all game, it’s on them to adjust, no? What’s the alternative? The present meta? Spinning in the corner for 10 straight minutes waiting for an opponent AI on the backdoor to get mesmerized by something in the corner and skating away from the front of the net? Is that not abused? Is ragging due to an ineffective forecheck not abused? Really makes no sense to suggest this needs careful implementation to avoid “abuse” when you can watch “top” players slam their face into the boards to trampoline bounce to the inside, pivot at full speed using LT, whip a 60 mph backhanded no-look pass to a teammate who ticks home a slapped 1T in stride at full speed into the perfect corner for a goal lol.

I think we have very different opinions on the current state of the game and the sport in general. High pressure is not an exploit and is in fact, a main component of shutting down a high skilled team. You don’t give a skilled team more time and space to shut them down, you give them less. That’s like hockey, basketball, soccer 101.

• I mean, it’s a noble effort but setting your AI to “full forecheck” certainly does not result in your AI actually wanting the puck. I think we’ve all seen my many posts stating that my AI defensemen will NOT pinch when set to full pinch, full forecheck, full attack, and my goalie pulled, so I’m not buying that as a legitimate solution. I mean, they will adhere to the forecheck strategy most of the time when you try that “solution” but they certainly do not know how to properly attack the carrier after the human has turned the play towards the direction they want. I’m not here to shoot the messenger, but would you please tell the dev team that we need a “help” or “press” button for one, and two, that the AI actually needs to understand to not take the same exact path that the user does. I’ve seen my own AI play “follow the leader” if you will when I turn the play, meaning they’ll be right behind me doing absolutely nothing productive.

We had a discussion on ragging earlier this year where that idea was thrown in. I think it makes sense if it can be done right. I'm sure it would have to be a strategy that is only available at the end of the 3rd period otherwise I can see advanced players using it at the right time to rush players, potentially abusing the mechanic.

A feature like that involves testing the AI against various formations the opponent is using, so if they plan to add a mechanic such as that it won't be until NHL 22 at the earliest. This is a great example of what we can relay to the team so they can brainstorm on ways to combat it.

@jrago73

I'm not really sure what the ref was doing but it was a solid GIF for a forum reply.

Why would a heavy forecheck be an “exploit” or something that can only be done late in games? Have you played the FIFA series before it was awful? The “2nd man press” button was awesome as it allowed the user to call a 2nd player to directly pressure the ball and you the user could use said pressure to take away an option which actually allowed you to corner your opponent if they ball hogged and just went for skill moves.

I don’t see any reason as to why this mechanic shouldn’t be available now and for the entire game. If my opponent can’t handle my press and constantly isn’t looking at the play 2-4 steps ahead, then they will have a lot of issues with the press. Hockey, like any other competitive sport or game, is dominated by players who see plays before they happen. If my opponent is pressing all game, it’s on them to adjust, no? What’s the alternative? The present meta? Spinning in the corner for 10 straight minutes waiting for an opponent AI on the backdoor to get mesmerized by something in the corner and skating away from the front of the net? Is that not abused? Is ragging due to an ineffective forecheck not abused? Really makes no sense to suggest this needs careful implementation to avoid “abuse” when you can watch “top” players slam their face into the boards to trampoline bounce to the inside, pivot at full speed using LT, whip a 60 mph backhanded no-look pass to a teammate who ticks home a slapped 1T in stride at full speed into the perfect corner for a goal lol.

I think we have very different opinions on the current state of the game and the sport in general. High pressure is not an exploit and is in fact, a main component of shutting down a high skilled team. You don’t give a skilled team more time and space to shut them down, you give them less. That’s like hockey, basketball, soccer 101.

Yeah I was close to sayin something like that, the "only" problem as I see it, there's to few options when you are about to breakout.

But non of this should be a problem if they just can find a good balance.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

I mean, it’s a noble effort but setting your AI to “full forecheck” certainly does not result in your AI actually wanting the puck. I think we’ve all seen my many posts stating that my AI defensemen will NOT pinch when set to full pinch, full forecheck, full attack, and my goalie pulled, so I’m not buying that as a legitimate solution. I mean, they will adhere to the forecheck strategy most of the time when you try that “solution” but they certainly do not know how to properly attack the carrier after the human has turned the play towards the direction they want. I’m not here to shoot the messenger, but would you please tell the dev team that we need a “help” or “press” button for one, and two, that the AI actually needs to understand to not take the same exact path that the user does. I’ve seen my own AI play “follow the leader” if you will when I turn the play, meaning they’ll be right behind me doing absolutely nothing productive.

@jrago73

Yeah I was close to sayin something like that, the "only" problem as I see it, there's to few options when you are about to breakout.

Very easy fix to easier breakouts: have your AI D support the puck! Instead of standing in-front like a useless cone, they could either go behind the net or sit near post like every modern high-level dman does these days. You’re either setting up a reverse on the near post or you’re setting up a quick D-to-D option who can chip, shake, or hit the center or wing for a breakout pass. Other than the speed glitch, the biggest thing holding this series back is the AI now. We literally do not need more mechanics at this time. Not saying we couldn’t use some different approaches/improvements, but as of now, the AI that don’t support nor want the puck, who don’t properly forecheck or find open space in the offensive zone, who stand outside the outshine shoulder of the Weakside dman as the Weakside wing, who constantly sprint away from their assignments because they believe their user is a micro-inch out of position, these AI are the ones holding this game back so so much. It’s excruciating at times. Like I said before, I’d rather my AI be programmed like mites (little kids), at least they sell out to get the puck lol. The AI in this game run away from it like it’s their kryptonite or something.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

@jrago73

Very easy fix to easier breakouts: have your AI D support the puck! Instead of standing in-front like a useless cone, they could either go behind the net or sit near post like every modern high-level dman does these days. You’re either setting up a reverse on the near post or you’re setting up a quick D-to-D option who can chip, shake, or hit the center or wing for a breakout pass. Other than the speed glitch, the biggest thing holding this series back is the AI now. We literally do not need more mechanics at this time. Not saying we couldn’t use some different approaches/improvements, but as of now, the AI that don’t support nor want the puck, who don’t properly forecheck or find open space in the offensive zone, who stand outside the outshine shoulder of the Weakside dman as the Weakside wing, who constantly sprint away from their assignments because they believe their user is a micro-inch out of position, these AI are the ones holding this game back so so much. It’s excruciating at times. Like I said before, I’d rather my AI be programmed like mites (little kids), at least they sell out to get the puck lol. The AI in this game run away from it like it’s their kryptonite or something.

Yeah I agree. Give us the most control over the players we can get and a AI that could act on a higher level, and I think this serie could fly.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4331 posts EA Community Manager
    I think EA should set up an online apparatus that allows us to submit Gamertags and videos of players who puck rag - and EA should implement temporary bans on players where there's proof of them ragging the puck - and permanent bans to those who've received a temporary ban and still abuse the game.

Each user - across all online game modes - should be able to receive accolades from other players. And when you receive a certain amount of positive votes and feedback from other online players, your gamertag is shown with a special icon or badge that indicates you have been voted as a great player to play with.

I've suggested this before with a lot of people saying 'well people will just give you bad ratings when you beat them'. The solution to that? Only allow positive votes. No negative votes.

What does this do? It entices players to play in a way that results in the players they match up with to vote positively for them in order to obtain the special badge.

Little things like this - putting a spotlight or highlighting players who've played in a way that receives a lot of positive feedback - would really go a long way, IMO, in ridding the community of some toxicity.

I am 99% sure we will never have a manually review system for these reports because of the cost of best use of time for employees to watch these reports. I play enough first person shooters to know people report anyone who they suspect is hacking who are actually legitimate, so you'll see an excess of invalid reports which leads to a waste of time.

A better solution IMO is to incorporate an in-game mechanic to help alleviate the frustration so you don't have to worry about moderation.

The vote/badge system isn't a bad idea. I'm concerned players will be trolls and give others bad accolades for laughs.

I liked the direction Respawn went in where they put cheaters in lobbies with other cheaters (they didn't realize they were playing other cheaters). Maybe if the technology is there, it can identify if you rag the puck more often at the end of games and if you do it enough, you get a notification that this is frowned upon by the community and if you continue to do it you will be placed in games with others that use this playstyle.

There's also the idea someone else mentioned where you call on a defender to attack them like in FIFA. That seems like a great option but imagine it has to take time to develop their AI to know when to attack the puck carrier when you're X distance away from them.
  • What we need is a block feature so, we don't have to play people who ridiculously exploit the poor programming of this game. I honestly could care less that the "elite" won't be able to find a game, they're some of the worst. I've now played the same guy about 10 times and it's the same thing over and over again, spam, spam, spam, play the trap, rag and only go for cross ice one timers or glitch goals. These are the kind of people who are ruining the game on top of EA refusing to fix anything.
  • I think EA should set up an online apparatus that allows us to submit Gamertags and videos of players who puck rag - and EA should implement temporary bans on players where there's proof of them ragging the puck - and permanent bans to those who've received a temporary ban and still abuse the game.

I am 99% sure we will never have a manually review system for these reports because of the cost of best use of time for employees to watch these reports. I play enough first person shooters to know people report anyone who they suspect is hacking who are actually legitimate, so you'll see an excess of invalid reports which leads to a waste of time.

A better solution IMO is to incorporate an in-game mechanic to help alleviate the frustration so you don't have to worry about moderation.

The vote/badge system isn't a bad idea. I'm concerned players will be trolls and give others bad accolades for laughs.

I liked the direction Respawn went in where they put cheaters in lobbies with other cheaters (they didn't realize they were playing other cheaters). Maybe if the technology is there, it can identify if you rag the puck more often at the end of games and if you do it enough, you get a notification that this is frowned upon by the community and if you continue to do it you will be placed in games with others that use this playstyle.

There's also the idea someone else mentioned where you call on a defender to attack them like in FIFA. That seems like a great option but imagine it has to take time to develop their AI to know when to attack the puck carrier when you're X distance away from them.

In regards to ragging, there already was an in-game mechanic to combat it. Whether it was designed for that or not, it worked. Then removed?!?!?!?!?!? There was also an in-game mechanic to combat LT abuse. Nerf the LT for the puck carrier was a great idea and worked pretty well I think. Then you nerf the same thing for players without the puck, creating another easy way to score, losing all balance you had. Why are you fixing problems, reverting back and allowing those problems to resurface? In terms of balance with LT, why nerf the player without the puck when the issue is the player with the puck? What's the thought process behind taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back?
  • KidShowtime1867
    1604 posts Member
    edited January 18

you didn't even read my post...
  • The vote/badge system isn't a bad idea. I'm concerned players will be trolls and give others bad accolades for laughs.

That wouldn't accomplish anything. The purpose is outing the toxic players and you're suggesting that we ignore them. Odds are that a system like this would be overlooked for the most part. I personally wouldn't be bothered giving my opponents ratings.
  • But if we're not ready to do anything to get rid of the toxicity, we probebly never will.

If it means we have to give opponents ratings, im willing to do that.

I would be honored to give positive feedback to thoose that deserve it.

I like kids suggestion here.
  • belair_col wrote: »

That wouldn't accomplish anything. The purpose is outing the toxic players and you're suggesting that we ignore them. Odds are that a system like this would be overlooked for the most part. I personally wouldn't be bothered giving my opponents ratings.

Spoiler Alert: You're NEVER going to get rid of toxic players. The ONLY solution is to ignore them.
  • belair_col wrote: »

Spoiler Alert: You're NEVER going to get rid of toxic players. The ONLY solution is to ignore them.

You can't ignore them, because EA doesn't give you the tools to see who your teammates are prior to playing. They also don't give you the tools to mark a troll, a poor teammate, a puck ragger or a bad player. The way the game is setup currently will result in a low quality game more often than not. There's no 'ignoring' that.
  • Gifto73
    124 posts Member
    edited January 19
    Should be able to rate all players at the end of the each game. Then in the pre game lobby the following information should be displayed. Your community ranking, and your gamer tag. Would be able to weed out the trolls pretty quick. Sure some will abuse the ranking system and give everyone a bad rating every game but if you're an ok player and a decent person you’ll be fine. Its the old 80/20 rule. %80 are good people %20 well, use your own language to describe them. I don't know but something needs to be done to restore this community.
    Post edited by Gifto73 on
  • KidShowtime1867
    1604 posts Member
    edited January 19
    belair_col wrote: »
    You can't ignore them, because EA doesn't give you the tools to see who your teammates are prior to playing..

You do get to see your teammate prior to playing... What game you on?
    They also don't give you the tools to mark a troll, a poor teammate, a puck ragger or a bad player.

People would abuse this.

My idea is pretty simple; only allow positive ratings. Make people strive to get that positive rating. There should be no fear of a bad rating because - like I've said a bunch of times already - don't allow people to hand out bad ratings.. only good ones.

Once you get a certain number of good ratings, you get a badge or icon next to your name. THe more positive ratings you get, the more the badge changes to reflect that.

No bad ratings. No trolls. No raging and giving everyone a negative vote after a loss because those votes wouldn't exist in this system.

Only good ratings. Entice people to play in order to unlock those team player badges or whatever. That's it. Very simple.
  • No bad ratings. No trolls. No raging and giving everyone a negative vote after a loss because those votes wouldn't exist in this system.

Only good ratings. Entice people to play in order to unlock those team player badges or whatever. That's it. Very simple.

I don't think this would be very effective due to small participation/sample size. It's like customer service: the vast majority of people only take the time to give feedback when there is a problem, not when they have a good experience.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    No bad ratings. No trolls. No raging and giving everyone a negative vote after a loss because those votes wouldn't exist in this system.

I don't think this would be very effective due to small participation/sample size. It's like customer service: the vast majority of people only take the time to give feedback when there is a problem, not when they have a good experience.

It depends how its implemented, it works great in Overwatch. I suggest people go check that out to get an idea of it being done well. If you hide it behind a bunch of menus and make it inconvenient to use then don't bother.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »

It depends how its implemented, it works great in Overwatch. I suggest people go check that out to get an idea of it being done well. If you hide it behind a bunch of menus and make it inconvenient to use then don't bother.

Exactly.
  • There's some non toxicity. Like the final day of rivals, I'm sure if you asked, lots would be willing to help out with getting points to finish in a higher tier or stay in the one you're at. I try to send a good game, win or lose, or if for whatever reason I feel the other player was playing like a... Well you know, I simply don't say anything.

But you always get the try hards who talk smack after a win. Especially if you have a stacked team, but lost out on the distance to the server lottery.