EA Forums - Banner

Toxicity

Replies

• You do get to see your teammate prior to playing... What game you on?
    You get to see their name.

You don't get to see their rating, stats or anything about them. The only thing you see is a P rating that can be attained by playing any games mode in EASHL.

There's no way of knowing the quality of teammate you're getting prior to puck drop. And unless you memorize the entire community, there's no way of weeding out the trolls. The least EA could do for us is give us the ability to flag the toxic players for ourselves.
  • Sega82mega
    2653 posts Member
    edited January 20
    belair_col wrote: »
    You do get to see your teammate prior to playing... What game you on?

You don't get to see their rating, stats or anything about them. The only thing you see is a P rating that can be attained by playing any games mode in EASHL.

There's no way of knowing the quality of teammate you're getting prior to puck drop. And unless you memorize the entire community, there's no way of weeding out the trolls. The least EA could do for us is give us the ability to flag the toxic players for ourselves.

But how would that work? Doesn't that mean people would start to dodge players just because they are good and not toxic..?

All tough, my own experience with this game so far, the better they are, the more likely some toxic behaviour. Seems to go hand in hand.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

But how would that work? Doesn't that mean people would start to dodge players just because they are good and not toxic..?

All tough, my own experience with this game so far, the better they are, the more likely some toxic behaviour. Seems to go hand in hand.

People memorize and dodge good players now, this isn't a good reason to keep doing nothing. Nothing is the one thing EA accels at when it comes to trolls and toxic players and it usually comes with some excuse that there isn't a perfect solution. There might not be a perfect solution so start swinging and missing until we find something reasonable.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »

People memorize and dodge good players now, this isn't a good reason to keep doing nothing. Nothing is the one thing EA accels at when it comes to trolls and toxic players and it usually comes with some excuse that there isn't a perfect solution. There might not be a perfect solution so start swinging and missing until we find something reasonable.

Yeah I agree. I definitely put my vote on kids suggestion. Best I ever heard so far.

.. And that you mention it can work, if it's done right.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4159 posts EA Community Manager
    The vote/badge system isn't a bad idea. I'm concerned players will be trolls and give others bad accolades for laughs.

you didn't even read my post...
    I've suggested this before with a lot of people saying 'well people will just give you bad ratings when you beat them'. The solution to that? Only allow positive votes. No negative votes.

Sorry, somehow misinterpreted that. Don't you think the trolls wouldn't give others a good rating even though it was well deserved?

There could be a psychological factor where nobody will rate each other positively at a consistent enough pace because everyone wants to have higher ratings than others.

I do like the idea posted earlier where a defensivemen can go sit by the goal to force the puck carrier down the ice.
  • The vote/badge system isn't a bad idea. I'm concerned players will be trolls and give others bad accolades for laughs.

you didn't even read my post...
    I've suggested this before with a lot of people saying 'well people will just give you bad ratings when you beat them'. The solution to that? Only allow positive votes. No negative votes.

Sorry, somehow misinterpreted that. Don't you think the trolls wouldn't give others a good rating even though it was well deserved?

There could be a psychological factor where nobody will rate each other positively at a consistent enough pace because everyone wants to have higher ratings than others.

I do like the idea posted earlier where a defensivemen can go sit by the goal to force the puck carrier down the ice.

1. Don't you feel like somebody might vote after a loss?

2. Don't you think trying literally anything has more potential to improve the situation than a decade of doing literally nothing has?

3. In team modes people would absolutely vote for their good teammates, at the very least.

Here is a quick read on the overwatch endorsement system: https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/2/17527694/overwatch-endorsements-how-to-level-up-explainer

Now imagine you're at the end of a game, or between periods doing nothing but sitting on your thumb for 30 seconds... now imagine that during that time you had the option of endorsing your teammates. That forward with the great backcheck you just click rb and choose his name and choose "two way player". That winger throwing out those good passes, you give him the passer endorsement. Your goalie who has been standing on his head? The center doing great at faceoffs? That defender who actually played his position.

Quick and easy and nearly effortless. Now you give small rewards for participating. In team modes you could unlock new clown gear for your endorsement level. Clubs get new unlocks. Give a small amount of cr and/or xp for voting or getting votes in all game modes. If you quit you can't get endorsements for that game, now we actually tried to stop quitters too!

There are about a million ways you could make this system work well for the EA NHL series but I guess if little Billy the troll won't vote we should just do nothing and go back to the hope and pray method of trying improve the community attitude :neutral:
  • Sega82mega
    2653 posts Member
    edited January 21
    Hehe Billy the troll..

.. Even if trolls wouldn't give others a good rating, I think over time, in the long run, the good behavior would show it right colors.

I still bealive there's more decent 'normal' people out there, then Billy the trolls all over the place.

• belair_col
    54 posts Member
    edited January 22

First off, it'd be awfully nice if EA started doling out some of its RP/CR based on individual performance instead of it being solely off of team wins. In doing so, it'd give them an opportunity to reward the players who contribute to their team's success and punish the ones that troll, quit or perform poorly consistently.

Using these results, perhaps they could build their drop-in lobbies to suit players with similar skill levels.

The toxic crap I'm speaking of are the individual players who kill an entire game lobby singlehandedly. Many of them do it proudly, hoping people swear at them via PM so they can get them suspended. This isn't about dodging difficult competition. It's about making every game competitive and fun.

In all honesty, I'm convinced that EA is pulling the plug on EASHL. The game quality has dropped drastically in recent years and seeing the frequent connectivity issues only compounds that theory.
  • EA_Aljo
    2376 posts EA Community Manager

First off, it'd be awfully nice if EA started doling out some of its RP/CR based on individual performance instead of it being solely off of team wins. In doing so, it'd give them an opportunity to reward the players who contribute to their team's success and punish the ones that troll, quit or perform poorly consistently.

Using these results, perhaps they could build their drop-in lobbies to suit players with similar skill levels.

The toxic crap I'm speaking of are the individual players who kill an entire game lobby singlehandedly. Many of them do it proudly, hoping people swear at them via PM so they can get them suspended. This isn't about dodging difficult competition. It's about making every game competitive and fun.

In all honesty, I'm convinced that EA is pulling the plug on EASHL. The game quality has dropped drastically in recent years and seeing the frequent connectivity issues only compounds that theory.

If RP/CR was based on individual performance, wouldn't it promote selfish play? People wouldn't be so concerned with being a team player and just focus on their own stats.

While we can't comment on what's coming in the future, I don't see EASHL going away. It's a very popular mode with a lot of support. The majority of people playing are not experiencing connection issues. If you want to go through some troubleshooting, we can do that in a different thread or through private messages.
  • belair_col
    54 posts Member
    edited January 22
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

If RP/CR was based on individual performance, wouldn't it promote selfish play? People wouldn't be so concerned with being a team player and just focus on their own stats.

While we can't comment on what's coming in the future, I don't see EASHL going away. It's a very popular mode with a lot of support. The majority of people playing are not experiencing connection issues. If you want to go through some troubleshooting, we can do that in a different thread or through private messages.

Do a proper job of determining what constitutes effective team play. Maybe EA should start dabbling into some of the advanced statistics the NHL is currently trying to implement with its trackable pucks. Find a way to properly value a defenseman's play aside from their boxcar stats. The same for the 'me first' puck-ragging leaderboard wannabes that regularly lead their teams in giveaways. The game made a good leap forward in this regard tracking pass success rates and adding the vague 'interceptions' statistic. But it's still a long way away from holding individual players accountable for their team play, which should be the primary concern of this game mode.

At the very least, it shouldn't be hard for the game to single out the guy with 4 pass attempts and 27 giveaways. Or the guy with 7 minor penalties. Or the goalie with multiple delay of game penalties. Yes, there's a coach's summary page already, but nobody looks at that and his ratings don't mean anything.
    Post edited by belair_col on
  • thebrazenhead75
    91 posts Member
    edited January 22

It currently doesn’t really promote team play anyway and most are already selfish. Sometimes myself included. I access my teammates as quickly in the game as possible and then play accordingly.

Whether I’m playing RW or RD I concentrate on playing defensive first and foremost but if my forwards suck then I’ll play a lot more offensively.

The other night I played RW with an extremely bad C so I took it upon myself to shoot more as my LW was a good playmaker. I ended up with 5 goals while helping my D a lot and we won 6-1. The C actually messaged me after the game the following:

“you’re a very selfish player and not fun to play with”.

I didn’t respond back but immediately thought was it my fault he sucked and couldn’t bury his few chances? It is my fault that I was open a lot and my LW set me up for a couple of easy one-timers? Is it my fault that my Dman put a great shot on net that I deflected? Is it my fault that their D allowed me to skate in and rip one past their goalie? Is it my fault I created a turnover giving myself an easy breakaway goal?

Yeah I’m the “selfish” one. 😏

Also, it isn’t fair if I have a solid game offensively and defensively but my team losses the game because of a troll and/or really crappy player (especially the G).

Why should I lose RP points if something like that is out of my hands and I can’t do anything to stop it?

Sometimes I have to play SELFISH so I don’t lose games because of trolls and scrubs.

Post edited by thebrazenhead75 on
  • belair_col wrote: »

I do memorize as many trolls as I can. I actually feel like publishing a list of them on a well known social platform.

In the meantime I wish I had the ability to flag them so that anytime I saw one in the drop in lobby I would recognize them immediately with a small ref flag beside their name and be then be able to back out.
  • Here is a post from a man that dosent encourage toxicity..

A mather a fact, I really like this guy, he bring passion and seem to be really humble at the same time.

And contributes with a fine 'work!'

https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLHUT/comments/lcmmu0/a_big_appreciation_post_for_you_and_shadow/

worth reading.

• Sega82mega wrote: »
    Yeah the toxicity is of the roof. There must be something about the stress, the gameplay induce, that makes us all go nuts.

To gain respect from your opponent, you have to fight fair, and I think there's too many ways to get around that, by playing like a pig, rag the puck, circle back and forth all over the ice, manipulate every possible game mechanics to your own favor.

And the majority knows exactly how to do that, probably even better then how to play 'real hockey' in this game.

And with a gameplay were everyone thinks the opponent cheats, there's no respect to be found.

Best thing that could happen, in every categories, would be a game were your hockey IQ decide to 95% the outcome of the game. A game were true hockey is the only way to go and when you win, your opponent knows you were the better player and when you loose, you know you deserve to loose.

Fair and square without any chances of being a clown and get a way with it.

Well said. Game comes out it’s perfectly fine then comes the gameplay updates. These updates cater to the users who love to puck rag,skate circles and,hold the puck in their zone. They then proceed to message you about being trash when there is physically no way to stop the way they play because 95% of the time you trip them. The Pace of play is abysmal, player build system is horrendous in WOC, the whole series needs a blank canvas and remake. They need a new development team and producer. Rammer needs to go.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

I think you are taking too literal/narrow a view of what he (and I) mean by individual play. We mean the individuals performance vs the the game outcome of win /loss.

Individual performance includes the person's team play rating. Things like passing, penalties, offsides, icings etc.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • EA_Aljo
    2376 posts EA Community Manager
    IceLion68 wrote: »

I think you are taking too literal/narrow a view of what he (and I) mean by individual play. We mean the individuals performance vs the the game outcome of win /loss.

Individual performance includes the person's team play rating. Things like passing, penalties, offsides, icings etc.

Thanks for the clarification. It would be great to see individual performance rated for actions that benefit your team.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »

Thanks for the clarification. It would be great to see individual performance rated for actions that benefit your team.

Well, I think they all do ultimately. At least in theory. If you are doing well on offense, defense and team play (and the game has recognized this through those in game coaches feedback ratings), then you should ,by logical extension, have helped your team. But that does not guarantee a win and this is where I think that RP needs to be adjusted. If you play well and your team loses, while others on your team played poorly, should you still lose RP? This is my argument.

Now, there is a difference between individual performance that helps your team, and being a team player.
    i.e. A forward who is a puck hog but scores a lot of goals can help a team win... but they won't be a lot of fun to play with.

I think there is room for perhaps more nuanced calculation and weighting. Or even a future separation of skill rating versus a "teammate" rating.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Afrizado96 wrote: »
    Yeah the toxicity is of the roof. There must be something about the stress, the gameplay induce, that makes us all go nuts.

To gain respect from your opponent, you have to fight fair, and I think there's too many ways to get around that, by playing like a pig, rag the puck, circle back and forth all over the ice, manipulate every possible game mechanics to your own favor.

And the majority knows exactly how to do that, probably even better then how to play 'real hockey' in this game.

And with a gameplay were everyone thinks the opponent cheats, there's no respect to be found.

Best thing that could happen, in every categories, would be a game were your hockey IQ decide to 95% the outcome of the game. A game were true hockey is the only way to go and when you win, your opponent knows you were the better player and when you loose, you know you deserve to loose.

Fair and square without any chances of being a clown and get a way with it.

Well said. Game comes out it’s perfectly fine then comes the gameplay updates. These updates cater to the users who love to puck rag,skate circles and,hold the puck in their zone. They then proceed to message you about being trash when there is physically no way to stop the way they play because 95% of the time you trip them. The Pace of play is abysmal, player build system is horrendous in WOC, the whole series needs a blank canvas and remake. They need a new development team and producer. Rammer needs to go.

Hehe yeah we both have our own way of sayin it. I wouldn’t go so far of kicking our 'hockey makers' out of the picture. Who will try to work for us hockey bealivers then... We aint that big family.. And I dont think the team is that far out. But no hate.. I get you.. And the wish for change.

Im afraid we are fast to learn how we the best way score.. And it's often cancer... I watch videos how to best self sauce (no direct harm) and I know you can always discuss that.. Is it cheap.. Is it legit.. Maybe somewere in between.. But I hope future will bring it in abit more clear way.

But stay friends.. As long as it goes❤️🤗😬😉

• See here's another example of the toxicity in the NHL 21 community. Played a guy in Champs tonight, close game, I won 3-2. After the game, the guy messages me calls me every name you can think of then tells me he hopes I don't wake up in the morning. Like seriously, people get this worked up over a video game?
  • amxblade wrote: »
    See here's another example of the toxicity in the NHL 21 community. Played a guy in Champs tonight, close game, I won 3-2. After the game, the guy messages me calls me every name you can think of then tells me he hopes I don't wake up in the morning. Like seriously, people get this worked up over a video game?

Yes they do. Tight game too.. Maybe a cross crease that finaly settle the score..?

That makes us going. Alot of people can control themselves and maybe scream something to there own cat that just passing by.. And some of us has to get it out on the opponent we just played.

Deep down it's good to not take things to seriously/personal. There "just" mad cause they lost..and probebly dont meen the half of what they say.. But on another hand, some things we say.. Is just wrong.

Peace love and understanding 😊