EA Forums - Banner

Content in this game

Hi EA community Team,

every year this game and it's lack of depth in offline game-modes angers the players who actually play thes e (which are a lot I assume). Now I know that these aren't really cash cows for the company in comparison to Online game-modes like HUT. Still we've paid for these to be worth the price. They aren't.

A lot of the great games in the past however showed amazing depth. They gave the gamers the opportunity to explore more and more paths inside the game modes. This game however completely lacks this. I bought ea sports nhl games for 9 years straight now and since the switch to the new console generation it got even worse. The game-modes in this game are incredibly platonic in the opportunities they give to gamers.

Despite these blatant weaknesses the EA decides year after year to release new mini game-modes instead of fixing and improving the ones that built the foundation of EA-Sports NHL games since the series started.

Do you really think people who bought a game for 70$ acknowledge you guys for adding a skill-tree feature to be a pro in a whole year of work?!

Your whole contribution to Franchise mode in whole year of work (again) were the following:

- Trade Deadline: A feature that fully bases on the trade blocks and isn't really adding up to a good experience

- Career-Stats: A feature that bases on the addition and visualization of numbers (A feature that was demanded but isn't really something that I would personally showcase as one of the top new features)

- Multiple Positions: That you guys state this as a top new feature really shows the lack of work which was put into this game mode

- A few sliders that let you customize Draft class quality and sim engine scoring

After showing your contributions to the game in a whole year of work on the example of franchise mode, do you really think that you did a particularly good job? This lack of depth is experienced throughout the whole offline experience in this game.

While the game-modes are lacking quality, the UI/UX-Design is top notch. Every year I have the feeling this Studio invests 80% of it's budget into making a great looking game, instead of a game that feels great playing it (While playing it you'll also notice the extremely long loading times in some parts of the ingame menus which also isn't particularly enjoyable).

Now as a person that works in Software-Dev I know that it's not always as easy to implement these things as it's said. Yet I think that the product you delivered wouldn't be enough in like 80% of the companies, but somehow it's enough for EA.

Your success with this game is absolutely linked to the passion of the playerbase for the NHL and Ice hockey. It's not the game itself that convinces anybody to buy, because it's absolutely not worth the price right now.

I end this rant with the sincere request to concentrate on the things that made these games great in the past. Concentrate on these core game-modes like Franchise, Be-a-pro, etc. They need the depth in gameplay to be playable.

Sincerely,
a guy who invested a total sum of over 600$ into these games in the last 9 years

Replies

• Xenomorph1502
    5 posts Member
    edited January 25
    The game actually as some fun in it but yes I totally Agree with you here. Its not a full price development by any means. The problems ea games have turn a fantastic arcady (nothing wrong with that) experience into something I dont allways have the mindset for them and prefer to play other games, from the gameplay department to the stupid teammate ai (fifa is the worst imo). You can clarly see they dont give a damn about offline players or how much we enjoy playing the game. instead of fixing what would make the game great they are focused on microtransactions and ultimate team experience. Ea (and company) should watch the excellent team san diego and the hard work they put on the fantastic mlb the show and learn how to make a sports game that makes players online or offline wish to play more and more. Those guys really want it, just the fact you have multiple interfaces you can choose for each action and let you adjust the difficulty for both offence and defence speaks for itself.
  • Funny how I log in to write a post exactly like this, and inevitably stumble upon this thread first. I will start by saying that I have played the NHL series by EA sports off and on since NHL 99, and have owned the past 5 games. Overall, I can't sit here and say the games haven't been fun for me, but at the same time, I feel like EA is really missing out on so many potential routes as far as new developments. Don't get me wrong, the standard annual additions have been nice, but that's really as much as I can say.

My thoughts revolve around the lack of overall customizability within different modes. I think that this caps the total amount of diverse circumstances you can play through. Coming from a person who primarily plays single-player modes, many aspects have seemingly remained stagnant for several installments of the game. For example, *no community file sharing*, flawed chemistry/coach schemes, zero strategic immersion as far as actual game strategy, like PP structure, the same custom jersey logos every year, all the same NHL goalie masks (add more than 2!!). Not to mention my pain for the inability to create masks, add custom jerseys mid-franchise mode, or customize rinks mid-franchise mode. Like think about the **** arena upgrade feature now, I rarely play with it on because it feels tedious and has 0 actual in-game effect or outcome. If it felt like I had to build a team up from level 1 to level 5-10 *literally*, then it'd likely be more fun. Grinding profitability in franchise would feel worth it if I could make meaningful changes to the team from a ownership/management perspective. I feel like even back in 2010 I would play MLB the show and change the actual arena, or be able to buy legitimate upgrades to the arena which would visually impact the game or meaningfully impact the experience. EA also misses out on changing sleeve styles, wrist tapes, etc, things to add flair, things to add new looks in the game besides a jersey tuck. I'm rambling but I could honestly go on and on with ideas.

I will add that the overall UI experience in terms of operating speed is top class as far as NHL 21, and I'm appreciative of that beyond words.
  • EA just released its earnings for 2020 and there are two things we can take from it. They make over 50% of their money in microtransactions, the make a ton from the sports side of the business, and even though they made 1.6 billion in profit, they will never invest in this series other than the microtransaction side.

Thats why 80% of it is just prettying up the game. It would be fractional of that yearly profit needed to invest into this series to make an actual impact to the product. Just think in terms of the NHL series over the last couple console generation leaps.

Does anyone remember when the series went from PS1 to PS2? Wow graphics are amazing. Wait, where is franchise mode? You got a one off season. It was a glorified Demo

Does anyone remember when the the series went from PS2 to PS3? I don't because they only came out with a Xbox 360 title that year and waited a whole year to make the leap, forcing me into the 360 hell of the ring of fire athon.

Can't say I remember much about PS3 to PS4 but that was about the time all EA Sports series started moving to microtransactions and the game started going in a downward slope to where we are today

PS4 to PS5..... oh thats right... there isn't... its just backwards compatible. Now this wouldnt really be an issue as the console launched around the same time as the release of the game, but that didnt stop the likes of Madden or FIFA getting theirs.

So what does this all really mean.... its just a point in saying, this series is basically built in the basement. It has no attention to it. Its the step child of EA and there is no glass slipper coming to change it. The history of how it has been served to us is how you should temper any expectations for the series for generations to come.

I've been playing since NHL93.... I told myself I'd skip it this year and then bought it at half price a couple months ago.... I can rarely get through a game before I'm completely bored of it. Come a long way from being on the top 5 leaderboard on NHL2004. If the investment in this series is going to be a zero sum game, I just don't see myself investing in it anymore either.
  • Xenomorph1502
    5 posts Member
    edited February 7
    EA just released its earnings for 2020 and there are two things we can take from it. They make over 50% of their money in microtransactions, the make a ton from the sports side of the business, and even though they made 1.6 billion in profit, they will never invest in this series other than the microtransaction side.

Thats why 80% of it is just prettying up the game. It would be fractional of that yearly profit needed to invest into this series to make an actual impact to the product. Just think in terms of the NHL series over the last couple console generation leaps.

Does anyone remember when the series went from PS1 to PS2? Wow graphics are amazing. Wait, where is franchise mode? You got a one off season. It was a glorified Demo

Does anyone remember when the the series went from PS2 to PS3? I don't because they only came out with a Xbox 360 title that year and waited a whole year to make the leap, forcing me into the 360 hell of the ring of fire athon.

Can't say I remember much about PS3 to PS4 but that was about the time all EA Sports series started moving to microtransactions and the game started going in a downward slope to where we are today

PS4 to PS5..... oh thats right... there isn't... its just backwards compatible. Now this wouldnt really be an issue as the console launched around the same time as the release of the game, but that didnt stop the likes of Madden or FIFA getting theirs.

So what does this all really mean.... its just a point in saying, this series is basically built in the basement. It has no attention to it. Its the step child of EA and there is no glass slipper coming to change it. The history of how it has been served to us is how you should temper any expectations for the series for generations to come.

I've been playing since NHL93.... I told myself I'd skip it this year and then bought it at half price a couple months ago.... I can rarely get through a game before I'm completely bored of it. Come a long way from being on the top 5 leaderboard on NHL2004. If the investment in this series is going to be a zero sum game, I just don't see myself investing in it anymore either.

I only buy when I have the oportunity for something like half price. There s a big lack of quality control on video games. Even the gameplay itself in this game has unexcusable problems that affects both online and offline, although the latter is a disaster. The game I mentioned above mlb the show also have microtransactions but every aspect of the game is absolutely refined, gameplay, online and offline, and its stupid both being sold at the same price. Nhl is no better than ao tennis or the tour de france, its a cheap game with good graphics, I like both hockey and baseball but I play mlb a lot more. The difference in playing pleasure is huge!
    Post edited by Xenomorph1502 on