EA Forums - Banner

EA - Why even bother upgrading your team???

Prev1
http://www.twitch.tv/nihilistwolfe/v/880794112?sr=a

My team is 91 OVR. Just got beat by some smurf account that is using all low base cards other than Guy Lafleur 88.

I have distributor, light the lamp, howitzer, passing playmaker, and workhorse activated.

This player looked to only have passing play maker.

His team skated way faster than mine. Was able to check me off the puck easier than I could him as well.

So my question is this. What's the point? What's the point in having better stats when they make ZERO difference? My team skated like they had concrete blocks attached to their skates.

Meanwhile, this guy could maintain speed while LT'ing through my defensive zone, bouncing off my players like a pinball and connecting no look passes every single time.

This is unacceptable. You are giving your consumer base a false sense of competitiveness when they upgrade their team. Only for players to knowingly exploit HUT and use it to their advantage.

I am sick of it.

Replies

• http://www.twitch.tv/nihilistwolfe/v/880810424?sr=a&t=455s

Some more proof that the game is BROKEN.

He is clearly offside bringing the puck into the offensive zone. Not to mention my poke check going the complete OPPOSITE side of where I aimed it to go.

🤦‍♂️
  • EA_Aljo
    2734 posts EA Community Manager
    SturmWolfe wrote: »
    http://www.twitch.tv/nihilistwolfe/v/880810424?sr=a&t=455s

He is clearly offside bringing the puck into the offensive zone. Not to mention my poke check going the complete OPPOSITE side of where I aimed it to go.

🤦‍♂️

As long as you are in control of the puck, your skates can cross the blue line first. This is not offside.

Regarding the poke, the puck is also affected by the carrier's stick.

As far as his players "running through your team" goes, what is your issue here? I see a missed hit as well as an opportunity to take control of the last man back and defend this play, but you switch to the player closest to the puck who isn't in as good a position to defend. They find a gap and get ahead of defenders for a backhand goal. They could have also cross-creased it also since they broke past your defense and now have a couple of scoring options. This is a play that could have been stopped and wasn't the result of a glitch or failed offside call.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    http://www.twitch.tv/nihilistwolfe/v/880810424?sr=a&t=455s

🤦‍♂️

As long as you are in control of the puck, your skates can cross the blue line first. This is not offside.

Regarding the poke, the puck is also affected by the carrier's stick.

As far as his players "running through your team" goes, what is your issue here? I see a missed hit as well as an opportunity to take control of the last man back and defend this play, but you switch to the player closest to the puck who isn't in as good a position to defend. They find a gap and get ahead of defenders for a backhand goal. They could have also cross-creased it also since they broke past your defense and now have a couple of scoring options. This is a play that could have been stopped and wasn't the result of a glitch or failed offside call.

I have played high performance hockey IRL and yes the player did enter the zone firstly, though lost control of the puck after his stick went into the neutral zone with the puck. That counts as losing control of the puck and would be deemed offside in a real hockey game. I have seen this happen in NHL games where this would be challenged an offside.

The poke check direction was the result of the stick, as the angle drove it wide. As for the defensive play aspect, it's honestly the most painful thing to try and control both defense at once. Opponents usually look to score short side if defense is blocking cross-crease or they go cross-crease if the defense is trying to block the short side shot from between the hashmarks. If players don't have that chance they go behind the net and wait for the opponent to chase them so they can look for the cross-crease or tic-tac toe. I see it too often where A.I. defense will go and chase the puck while the human defense has to cover, and that leads to scoring chances.

The wingers should be covering the point taking their man to prevent a shot. Center should be the one chasing the puck and if defending should stay between the hashmarks... As for more input on defense, I myself have played the defensive position since NHL 09. Was a top defensemen in EASHL until NHL 19. I barely play now, although have been well known for how defensively I play. This years game I find poke checking is easier, though you have to be in 100% perfect timing and position, otherwise it just goes back to the opponents stick or you get a penalty. Therefore I usually go for the hit at the blueline or try to angle them off to the outside. Stick lifting is utterly useless as it results in slashing most of the time. Although sometimes even body checking doesn't work, even as a 6-7 240 pound defenseman, the opponent will get right back up and still have the puck.

One thing I have noticed a lot this game, is players always try to back skate/pivot into the offensive zone to lure defense into penalties. Mostly it's the small forwards that do it, and is the biggest pain in my ****. Usually they would lose control of the puck doing that or have a lower chance of gaining acceleration into the zone...
  • EA_Aljo
    I have played high performance hockey IRL and yes the player did enter the zone firstly, though lost control of the puck after his stick went into the neutral zone with the puck. That counts as losing control of the puck and would be deemed offside in a real hockey game. I have seen this happen in NHL games where this would be challenged an offside.

It looks like he's keeping control of the puck. Where in the video is he losing it which should be causing an offside call?

• EA_Aljo wrote: »

It looks like he's keeping control of the puck. Where in the video is he losing it which should be causing an offside call?

Got my cousin who used to play in NHL to look at this, and we were looking at the video. Yes he had the puck glued to his stick, but realistically puck went out of the offensive zone and the heel of the stick was out also. That would of counted as offside.
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Got my cousin who used to play in NHL to look at this, and we were looking at the video. Yes he had the puck glued to his stick, but realistically puck went out of the offensive zone and the heel of the stick was out also. That would of counted as offside.

They didn't pull the puck onside and then offside again. Once it crossed the blueline, they kept possession without going offside. This is an onside play.
  • maxmarek2018
    37 posts Member
    edited January 24

My team is 91 OVR. Just got beat by some smurf account that is using all low base cards other than Guy Lafleur 88.

I have distributor, light the lamp, howitzer, passing playmaker, and workhorse activated.

His team skated way faster than mine. Was able to check me off the puck easier than I could him as well.

So my question is this. What's the point? What's the point in having better stats when they make ZERO difference? My team skated like they had concrete blocks attached to their skates.

Meanwhile, this guy could maintain speed while LT'ing through my defensive zone, bouncing off my players like a pinball and connecting no look passes every single time.

This is unacceptable. You are giving your consumer base a false sense of competitiveness when they upgrade their team. Only for players to knowingly exploit HUT and use it to their advantage.

I am sick of it.

Agreed

In SB, I see roughly 2 ‘phantom’ penalties called a game that make me laugh out loud for how minor they are when watching on replay

In most cases it’s an ‘interference’ call that makes me scratch my head by what I actually did wrong
    I kid you not, I sometimes get called for interference or ‘unsportsmanlike conduct’ and all I’ve done is ‘look’ at the opposing player!!!

2 minutes for staring!

Garbage mechanics
    Nobody enjoys playing opposing SB teams that never get called for penalties
  • I kid you not, I sometimes get called for interference or ‘unsportsmanlike conduct’ and all I’ve done is ‘look’ at the opposing player!!!

2 minutes for staring!

Leading off with "I kid you not" and then exaggerating to that extent isn't the best look.
  • i'm losing to basic cards opponent too often with my god squad and it make me mad. i agree buying packs is a rip off if we do it
  • This game is the biggest joke in gaming. I wouldn’t waste a dime buying cards because if doesn’t f ing matter. A 5 year old could beat me because nobody on my team can move, shoot skate check ....anything. My AI sits behind my net, while my opponents AI back checks and stops every cross crease. The puck goes through my players when I dive. I gave up 5 goals in a row off defensive faceoff slappers, because my goalie doesn’t move and my opponents 82 overall Duncan Keith shoots 110 mph slappers. ****??? Everybody skates circles around me with base 85 players, there’s no point in playing. I go from crushing everyone one day to losing 8-0 every game the next, against scrubs in division 8. Spare me the “get good” garbage, I can feel the difference. I know from the opening faceoff whether I have a chance or should just quit at 0-0.
  • SturmWolfe wrote: »

I am sick of it.

Agreed

In SB, I see roughly 2 ‘phantom’ penalties called a game that make me laugh out loud for how minor they are when watching on replay

In most cases it’s an ‘interference’ call that makes me scratch my head by what I actually did wrong
    I kid you not, I sometimes get called for interference or ‘unsportsmanlike conduct’ and all I’ve done is ‘look’ at the opposing player!!!

2 minutes for staring!

Garbage mechanics
    Nobody enjoys playing opposing SB teams that never get called for penalties

It's easy to draw tripping penalties. They also take holding and interference on me without having to protect the puck to make them poke.
  • i'm losing to basic cards opponent too often with my god squad and it make me mad. i agree buying packs is a rip off if we do it

Base card teams on sb's are easy. Even when they are in god mode they can be contained mostly. It's the stacked teams with a silver and bronze or 2 bronze goalies that are gonna give you a bad time. Especially if their defensive strategy is high pressure.

Base card teams on sb's are easy. Even when they are in god mode they can be contained mostly. It's the stacked teams with a silver and bronze or 2 bronze goalies that are gonna give you a bad time. Especially if their defensive strategy is high pressure.

i was talking about online mode but for the squad battles my problem is replaying a game that isn't max points i often lose cause the cpu is playing like superman. In july it will be since a year i'm back from long hiatus, i still need to learn a lot to make the top 100 SB
  • Follisimo
    1094 posts Member
    edited January 24
    i'm losing to basic cards opponent too often with my god squad and it make me mad. i agree buying packs is a rip off if we do it

i was talking about online mode but for the squad battles my problem is replaying a game that isn't max points i often lose cause the cpu is playing like superman. In july it will be since a year i'm back from long hiatus, i still need to learn a lot to make the top 100 SB

That is because the sliders are against you even if your team is superior to theirs. You just have to play dirty and cheap to counter the CPU which is exactly what people hate about the game.

Here is a tip if you got a real fast team try to skate onside then go back into the neutral zone gliding and when their dmen begin to skate up take it back into the zone and blow by them.

People complain about how people cheat but the CPU are where they learn many things from. Especially ragging.

Oh also get big fast skaters because they are overpowered in this game as always.

• SturmWolfe wrote: »

I am sick of it.

this is the reason why I refuse to pay for packs. Until I'm convinced the better cards play better, EA won't get a dime on pack sales.
  • mikeyflex wrote: »

I am sick of it.

this is the reason why I refuse to pay for packs. Until I'm convinced the better cards play better, EA won't get a dime on pack sales.

Spent over $400 in packs going for the most probability ones and got literally nothing. Played HUT rush and got some decent cards. Played a couple games today and IP booted on 3 of them. Last guy I played I was up 3-1. Until He started taking slappers from the point and score 4 goals. Then went on to backskate to lure me away from poke checking or pressuring. Then went for the cross-crease which I tried to stop but was more worried about the shortsided glove. Almost majority of us who were consistent HUT players who stream are slowly avoiding it until EA does something about the toxicness. IP booting was never a problem in previous games as NHL 21 is, so why is it still existent? It's like they don't care at this point and just want people to become frustrated...
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited January 25
    Follisimo wrote: »
    i'm losing to basic cards opponent too often with my god squad and it make me mad. i agree buying packs is a rip off if we do it

People complain about how people cheat but the CPU are where they learn many things from. Especially ragging.

Yeah that is so true. But isnt it the opposite, human learn how to cheat the CPU and then they take the same 'cheat' into the online world. But yeah, if it was impossible to cheat the CPU, perhaps it would be a more nice gameplay.

I wonder how many goals thats being made online that especially has to do with a way to exploit the A.I.

It's not that often I see 'clean goals' were everything before the goal looks like 'fair' play.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Yeah that is so true. But isnt it the opposite, human learn how to cheat the CPU and then they take the same 'cheat' into the online world. But yeah, if it was impossible to cheat the CPU, perhaps it would be a more nice gameplay.

I wonder how many goals thats being made online that especially has to do with a way to exploit the A.I.

It's not that often I see 'clean goals' were everything before the goal looks like 'fair' play.

They learn both the broken/cheap mechanics from the ai, as well as how to, as you say cheat the ai and take it online. Using both the cheap stuff they learned from the ai, as well as utilizing what they learned to beat the ai.

Personally, I don't think the ai should be capable of taking the puck away (online) from strictly incidental contact or simply having their stick anywhere near the puck. In the slot playing defense, sure have incidental contact turned on there.

Same with intercepts. Ai should not be intercepting anything that comes from behind them. They should be able to intercept passes while in the lane, and that should be the extent of their ability to take the puck. Or simply a loose puck on open ice is fair game.

The ai does nothing but promote skill zoning. In that sense, I have zero issues with poke spam.
  • Sega82mega
    3310 posts Member
    edited January 25
    Sega82mega wrote: »

They learn both the broken/cheap mechanics from the ai, as well as how to, as you say cheat the ai and take it online. Using both the cheap stuff they learned from the ai, as well as utilizing what they learned to beat the ai.

Personally, I don't think the ai should be capable of taking the puck away (online) from strictly incidental contact or simply having their stick anywhere near the puck. In the slot playing defense, sure have incidental contact turned on there.

Same with intercepts. Ai should not be intercepting anything that comes from behind them. They should be able to intercept passes while in the lane, and that should be the extent of their ability to take the puck. Or simply a loose puck on open ice is fair game.

The ai does nothing but promote skill zoning. In that sense, I have zero issues with poke spam.

Yeah I see what you mean. I barley get any 'free pucks' from my AI, I would defenetly not mind your idea.

The only time im dependent of my AI is in my own zone when they start circle and twist to charge up that cross crease pass.

To play man-man with body is really hard in this game, you can only 'glide with them' but you cant really disarm them, it's almost like you have to let them do that pass.

.. And it's here, I often find my own AI pretty baffling.. It's like they 'mix things up' when the opponent gets to bend and twist themselves inside and out in the o-zone.

But the A.I has to much impact over the outcome of the game, there's some areas where they are doing too much work for free and there's also some areas where they are too easy to 'cheat' on.

Even if it's probebly hard to not involve the rest of the AI players in a 1vs1 mode as HUT, I still think.. Or I -hope-there could be a way to force thoose 1vs1 moments on the ice to happen more.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Yeah I see what you mean. I barley get any 'free pucks' from my AI, I would defenetly not mind your idea.

The only time im dependent of my AI is in my own zone when they start circle and twist to charge up that cross crease pass.

To play man-man with body is really hard in this game, you can only 'glide with them' but you cant really disarm them, it's almost like you have to let them do that pass.

.. And it's here, I often find my own AI pretty baffling.. It's like they 'mix things up' when the opponent gets to bend and twist themselves inside and out in the o-zone.

But the A.I has to much impact over the outcome of the game, there's some areas where they are doing too much work for free and there's also some areas where they are too easy to 'cheat' on.

Even if it's probebly hard to not involve the rest of the AI players in a 1vs1 mode as HUT, I still think.. Or I -hope-there could be a way to force thoose 1vs1 moments on the ice to happen more.

A.I. can be figured out, although sometimes they can be more overpowered. Drove me nuts today in HUT after going against someone who literally ragged the puck behind his net for 48 minutes of the game after getting a goal on a cross-crease fake, short side block shot.

Found out he was a gamechanger from some people who were in my chat and was removed from a league I'm apart of for IP booting.

I saved the VOD luckily as he accused me of ragging, although it showed I was cycling and passing the puck to try and get passed the trap, as he had his user controlled forward sit back and waiting for me to attack. I would then pressure and he would skate to the neutral zone then turn around back into behind his net.

Almost wish there was a rule where if they sit behind their net like that it boots them after a minute or so...waste of time tbh!