EA Forums - Banner

Suggestions for Franchise mode from my experiences

NHL 21 Franchise mode feature suggestions
~ Roster Import/Sharing
- I have to recreate my teams every year, I'd like to be able to pull my teams from previous versions to the new ones.

~ Career summary page for Franchise mode (Your achievements)
- Total Cups
- Awards
- Trades (players, picks)
- Signings
- Record
-Playoff appearances/ record

~ Arena operations
- Have the AI handle Owner requests with priority
- Repair all/ remaining buttons for operations
- All upgrades available at the start of the year (I don't get the club seats in the offseason)

~ Fix the RT/LT buttons when scrolling player profiles (player search, free agency)
- If you start lower down in the list it tends to pop back up to the top player in the list.

~ Navigate around the trade deadline screen.

- It's cumbersome to navigate from deep in the player list back to the menu. I don't have better feedback at the moment, I just found it kind of odd.
- Player search added to the left side

~ Edit lines
- "Autofill special teams"/ Autofill remaining lines option
+ If the main roster is full, an option to complete the lines like 3on3 and such instead of editing everything
- 7 defenseman/11 setup instead of 6/12
+ This is just a random one, not a priority idea

~ Contract negotiation
- The negotiation feels strange, it doesn't feel like the players move much.
- No moves, or limited trade clauses would be cool to help reduce the price of contracts.

~ Draft Prep
- Have different levels of "Stars" to mark potential draft picks, like:
+ Some interest
+ High interest
+ Must Get!

~ Trade Block
- Add a "Bad Contracts" type like "Expiring Contracts" type thing
+ I want to be able to be offered bad contracts for first-rounders and such (like the Carolina/ Toronto trade for Marleau.
+ This would be great for when you are starting/ have extra cap space.
- Default trade block setup
+ Set a default block that it goes revert to when the AI would auto-adjust it, then I can adjust it from there.
- Find trade "What you got for me?" Option
+ Just a way to prompt trade offers that doesn't depend on you selecting specific pieces in "Find Trade"
+ Or, in Find trade, if there is a variant to what you do find trade on that would be helpful too
> As in, if I see what my 1st rounder is worth, I will see the normal offer but in addition, I can see that someone will trade me a 2nd liner if I add a prospect or a 3rd

My latest series is here if you want a video reference to my gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL8VEsSurE0QJvRsQcxmAUl6Rpl6PvujJ

I also did an All trades accepted just for fun, the auto-generate on expansion draft has something left to be desired. Find that here:
https://youtu.be/Y0iH8Fsygqk

Thanks for your time! If you want me to discuss/ clarify anything let me know.

Rory of GetRoaring

Replies

• I'd like to +1 the following:

-Roster import/sharing, especially if you can customize your imports. Maybe the new game has alumni I created in an older game and I want to use the new game version, I can just go into import>created players>deselect Marian Hossa. Perfect

-Career summary page

-Fix the player scroll (this seems like more of a bug fix than anything though, hopefully they're already working on patching this).

-Auto-best individual lines/line categories.

-Better contract negotiation. Why not add an interview/negotiation screen like there is for coaching staff and draft prospects? Let me talk to the player, see what's important to them and where they're willing to budge, and negotiate from there instead of the constant guess and check 3-day revolving door.

**IN ADDITION I'd love to see the following too:

-Let me see line schemes and player fit for non-head coaching staff. Maybe my associate or assistant coach would fit great for my stars but I can't see that unless I fire my head coach and promote an interm and check the fit. This would also help determine who would make a good interm head coach while I look for a new full timer.

-Let me adjust coaching strategies over time and/or player preferred strategies. For players, prospects should be able to adapt to a strategy easier than hardened vets. If I draft a 19-year-old I should be able to mold them to a desired strategy over a few years. Likewise, if I have a first line with fantastic chemistry and a coach that matches, but my coach says "use overload" and my players all say "but we like behind the net better", dammit coach, those players are working with you on everything else, adapt your strategy to match their behind the net preference.

-Give us more variety from coaches for their strategies!!!! I was browsing the coaching pool to find one that would fit well with my first two lines and I just kept seeing the same strategy combinations coming up!! It was impossible to find a coach even digging into the overall D ratings that had strategies that fit moderately well with both my top 2 lines. I don't know how many coaches I found that fit perfectly with my 1st line and then failed on the 2nd line because they preferred the exact same strategy that wouldn't work as all the potentials that came before. Seriously, more variety in options here. I don't even care if I have to scrape the bottom of the barrel and build a coach up to head coach status as long as they can work with my young stars.

For player creation:
    -Make copies of existing players so I can play with their stats for my alumni rosters (Marleau and Thornton have seen better days) without affecting the originals and unbalancing their current teams or having to make poor copies from scratch.
    -Give us more facial options. I don't even care if I can't manually adjust eye width and depth or mouth height or whatever, at least make the facial template and skin tone as two separate catagories like we have to hair and facial hair. I found a face that works very well for Ryan Smyth but he was WAAAAY too tanned and for the life of me I could not find a lighter toned version of that same face.

End rant.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4191 posts EA Community Manager
    Thanks for a great post, @GraniteCannuck

I'm going to put this at the top of this board to create a wishlist that we can pass along to the dev team each week.

Please do your best to keep it to this current format. If there's a suggestion in here you want to talk about, I recommend creating a new topic and reference this post.
  • Thanks for a great post, @GraniteCannuck

I'm going to put this at the top of this board to create a wishlist that we can pass along to the dev team each week.

Please do your best to keep it to this current format. If there's a suggestion in here you want to talk about, I recommend creating a new topic and reference this post.

Not to rain on the parade here, but the majority of what was asked was in the game 5-10 years ago and you guys just removed a lot of those features. How you go through a 25yr franchise and it ends at June 25th 20..... and thats it. Anyway.... best of luck
  • Edit Lines:
    -there needs to be a toggle that allows you to see which of your goalies is scheduled to start the upcoming game without you having to go into the edit lines screen.
    -when a player gets hurt, you shouldn’t have to replace them in you lineup until the day of your next game. Too many times I have a guy get hurt, have to replace them (sometimes involving an AHL call up) only for them to be available for my next game

Roster Moves:
    -it does not take into account retained salary and frequently thinks if I send a guy down, I will be under the cap, even though I have 10mil in retained salary. Same goes vice versa when I pick up a guy at the deadline and then I can’t make a call-up, because the roster moves screen doesn’t realize that expensive player’s salary is pro-rated
  • The #1 should be roster sharing....
    with a good roster this game is so much fun (+a good slider set)

and one thing i would love for franchise mode is a commissioner option
    in your franchise...where you would control the trade for everyteam
    that way you could replicate the real nhl ,..

cheers

MRSENATEURS
  • Hansern36
    4 posts Member
    edited February 11
    One thing I would like is a little bit more randomization of player sizes in relation to player types for generated prospects. This sort of is reflected in the builds available in World of Chel, but I think it would be nice to have a little more variety with the size of generated prospects.

For example, you seem to have some ranges for the builds:

Playmaker/Sniper 5'8-6'3 (6'3 is a little bit of an outlier but not too uncommon) 175-200lbs
    PWF 6'-6'4 190-230lbs
    GRN 5'11-6'5 185-220lbs
    OFD 5'8-6'3 175-200lbs
    DFD 6'-6'5 190-230lbs

Two-way Forwards and Dmen are kind of the exception to the rules as they can be small and big which I like but it also is predictable when you have that 6'5 200-210lb dman who is always a two way.

I think that there is a bit more variety in the kinds of players and the roles they play than allowed within the system for generating players, like Mike Weaver for instance was one of my favourite underdog dmen to watch and he was definitely a 5'9 DFD or Jordin Tootoo as a 5'9 grinder, and then on the other end of things you have (although it is rarer) the big big guys like Joe Thornton/Ryan Getzlaf/Kirby Dach as 6'4 playmakers or even like Detroits prospect who wowed at the WJC's this year Elmer Soderblom who is 6'8 238lbs but is a finesse/skill player, or Tyler Myers who is more of an OFD than TWD.

I remember back in the day on last gen you would have the odd Chara clone 6'9 240lb DFD that would pop out once every couple years, and I think that the rate at which those prospects appeared was good, but not everyone who is big has to be the Chara or Pronger type, it would be fun to get a weird 6'7 playmaker or a Stan Smyl type 5'8 powerforward. They don't even have to be top prospects it just adds some interest and I think is more realistic, because you do get those guys who pop up in the draft like Curtis Douglas or Soderblom, or even with goalies like Mads Soogard who was taken by Ottawa, and then on the shorter side you have guys like Nils Hoglander who I would say is much more of a powerforward than a two way guy based on how he has played early this season.

I love the addition of the scouting staff so much, I have tried to totally step back in my gm modes with scouting and try to instead build the scouting staff that can present best options to me, and so having a little more unpredictability with prospects just makes it that much more fun and it makes the playthroughs that much more memorable, Ive been playing this mode pretty intensely over the past decade and more now and have a lot of memories of distinct and unique prospects or players.

One other note, and I think the team is probably aware of this or working on it, but it feels like prospect development is a little wonky this year, I have had so many players who will have random 90s in stats (and don't get me wrong, I like that randomness, some players are just like that i.e. someone who might be a total grinder/plug but is just a shootout wizard or has some unique skill) but it feels a little less controlled this year, where players will have like 85-90 agility and acceleration but then 71 speed, or be a good overall player but then have 71 off or def awareness (and some of these skills don't develop at all, and again that can be realistic I look at some players who have all the tools but no toolbox, but some of it is a little odd like if someone has McDavid level edgework but Lucic level speed or can hit like a mac truck but has 71 strength/balance).

On a more overall note for the mode, is it possible to go beyond 25 years? Or is that still a hard constraint? I recently had a full franchise completion for the first time in a while, and I realized that 25 years is actually not that long in the grand scheme of things, and that my career ended before players who were already on the team's did (in this case Quinn Hughes became an insane perennial 150p dman and was doing so at the age of 44, shattering records and didn't retire even when the game was over), that was cool and hasn't happened before even though I edit my own rosters with a bias to Vancouver haha, but I realized that for teams whose top prospects are right at the beginning of their career, you can go an entire GM mode with them as your players, in respect to not having to just dump them to satisfy that it would be nice to be able to go a bit farther and have to rebuild after your franchise players age out and really play in a full rng player league.

Edit:

One other note, would it be possible to have a sort of "lineup lock" that can be applied as a rule and then AI Coach can then swap out/replace players to deal with injury? I think this would be helpful especially for AHL lineup management, I simulate seasons pretty quickly and one thing Ive noticed is that prospects getting ice time makes a lot more of a difference with development now (which is great) but sometimes they just wont get opportunities because of depth, if you could set a lineup (i.e. with a top prospect getting first line/top pairing minutes) and then be able to start simming and allow the AI coach to manage the lineup for injuries/etc but with the default being what you set it to instead of their tendencies or the systems tendencies that would be amazing.
  • Someone brought it up in the bug reporting thread, and I know it’s been brought up a lot, so I want to make sure it doesn’t get forgotten:

Full edit control of the current franchise, including ability to stop the AI from making dumb trades, or making trades on the AI’s behalf.
  • I've posted this several times before, but player names from non-traditional hockey nations have been broken for nearly 20 years...

https://youtu.be/H-_KR2AYkKY

Also posted several times before, why are goalie coaches a thing but when you try to hire one there are literally none that want to be a goalie coach? You can filter for all the other types of coach, why not goalies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFkDYNFU8Qo&feature=youtu.be
  • > @EA_Blueberry said:
    > Thanks for a great post, @GraniteCannuck
    >
    > I'm going to put this at the top of this board to create a wishlist that we can pass along to the dev team each week.
    >
    > Please do your best to keep it to this current format. If there's a suggestion in here you want to talk about, I recommend creating a new topic and reference this post.

Thanks for taking these things into consideration. I appreciate the team looking into community feedback and ideas. I really enjoy Franchise mode, and would love for it to be the gem of the NHL series.

Additional Feedback.

Recently I was attempting to pick up a 3rd overall pick in the draft. The team wanted some crazy amount of assets to get the pick. I couldn't make the deal work, but when I did a find trade on the player they drafted, the deal was something I could do. This doesn't make a ton of sense since they picked a top 3 player. If they wasted the pick I could see that, but the trade values should be about the same.

Reference Video: https://youtu.be/JylHSViq9XA?t=2463
  • One other thing, either remove Rest of World as a scouting region or have it actually generate players - there's no point it being there as an empty space!
  • What I want in Franchise mode in NHL 22 is that you can play FM in all leagues, not just in the NHL.
    Next thing is if I play in NHL, that I can see other leagues stats and standings so I can pursuit for top FA from europe, like Chicago did it with Panarin, Kubalik, and now Suter...

Ability to start in CHL or Europe and if you are successful manage your way up to the NHL

Give us IIHF license, that would mean IIHF WC and WJC.

Career summary page, where I can see all trophies I won, all individual hardware my players won.
  • FilipCroat wrote: »
    What I want in Franchise mode in NHL 22 is that you can play FM in all leagues, not just in the NHL.
    Next thing is if I play in NHL, that I can see other leagues stats and standings so I can pursuit for top FA from europe, like Chicago did it with Panarin, Kubalik, and now Suter...

Ability to start in CHL or Europe and if you are successful manage your way up to the NHL

Give us IIHF license, that would mean IIHF WC and WJC.

Career summary page, where I can see all trophies I won, all individual hardware my players won.

This is wishful thinking. As great as it would be, they'll never put the effort in to doing it. At the least they should, if you become good enough, get to manage and gm the yearly world champ roster if you are not in the playoffs, world junior if you are managing a chl franchise, and every 4 years the "world tournament"
  • sten_59 wrote: »
    I've posted this several times before, but player names from non-traditional hockey nations have been broken for nearly 20 years...

Also posted several times before, why are goalie coaches a thing but when you try to hire one there are literally none that want to be a goalie coach? You can filter for all the other types of coach, why not goalies?

And they want to be paid like a head coach even though they all have D- rating. I was going to be inclusive and hire a female coach, but instead of breaking barriers she was only concerned with breaking the bank.
  • sten_59 wrote: »
    One other thing, either remove Rest of World as a scouting region or have it actually generate players - there's no point it being there as an empty space!

Well every 10 years the mystery prospect from Mongolia is discovered
  • Well, if we're opening up to suggestions for Franchise Mode then why not:

- Lingering bug fix: as far as I can tell NHL21 still has a bug where 19 year olds are being auto-signed to 1 year $700k contracts and dumped into the AHL instead of being reassigned to juniors. Their ELCs are burned and their development stunted because their OVR isn't high enough to get ice time in the AHL.
    - Expand the record book. It's a nice feature add but way too few records being kept.
    - Show more individual player statistics in-game between whistles, not just the "top goal scorers". This used to be in the game. I would see graphics that would say “Brett Hull is on a X goal scoring streak” or “has 5 assists in his last 4 games”. Again, get me more engaged in the “story” of what’s happening in my season.
    - Dynamic Training Camps: here's an idea for a new "feature". The battle for a roster spot in training camp is one of the most exciting parts of a hockey season. The others being the playoffs, draft, deadline, free agency. You've paid attention to those four but never bothered to show any love for training camp. Currently the pre-season is just a waste of time that doesn't really have any impact on the GM Mode.
    - Could even add a "prospect tourney" like Traverse City in the off-season (wherein the results could give a modest bump to a prospects growth) to break up the big gap of nothing happening in summer.
    - Let me set practice schedules and drills. This should be a feature that can be turned on/off since some users will find it tedious. But for those who want more depth to the game it's a chance to focus the attribute development of the team or impact their chemistry.
    - Fix Player Attribute Progression, especially for draft eligible players who are -2 and more years away from their draft. This is whacked. After a few seasons in GM Mode player attributes go wonky and unbalanced. By the time they enter the draft some of them have 99-shot accuracy, 99-discipline and skate like turtles.
    - Player trades impact team morale way too strongly. Tone it down. In reality these guys are pros and they all know it's a business. Most NHL'ers don't get that weirded out because another roster player signed somewhere else.
    - Players rated as "depth" get way too easily ticked if they sit for a few games. In reality there are a lot of journeymen players who ride the pine, stay frosty in practice and know they need to wait for injury or their shot to get in a few games without getting "disgruntled" and ruining the locker room.
    - Let us replace the AHL team with a custom team. Presently only the core NHL team can be replaced.
    - Let the user add a custom third jersey for NHL teams in the off-season. I believe you can only do this for user created teams at present. Or is that a contract issue that the NHL teams won't allow?
    - Where's the Winter Classic and Stadium Series?
    - Previous installments in the series used to have the All-Star game. I know, the AS game doesn't get a lot of love from NHL fans, but "if it's in the game, it's in the game." (oh, I forgot you removed the all important first part of that motto). Frankly I'd be even more interested in a skills competition.
    - Revenue sharing? TV contracts added to budget?
    - As many others have said, fix the coaching system. Good idea, badly broken, and not just buggy; in it's present state I'd rather it not be a factor. Needs a total rethink. It's unbalanced and way too strictly managed. I've never seen a coach who DEMANDS that his top line trap/dump and chase, but his second line can play overload and carry the puck therefore McDavid MUST play on the second line to have chemistry. Huh? It's just this randomly generated mess.
    - Let me retire a jersey (and create a cut scene next game where I can see the jersey retirement ceremony).
    - Hall of Fame or WJC selections would be cool too but again I assume that's probably something the IIHF or PA won't allow you to add.
    - As mentioned by others, license with IIHF so the WJC can be played (this may also be a loophole to let US NCAA players into the game via their national roster instead of having to wait 2-3 years for them to turn pro).
    - Less randomization for winning/losing teams. Ever notice that if you start a GM Mode Toronto might be a Cup Champ, but start a second GM Mode and suddenly Toronto finishes at the bottom of the league? Kind of invalidates the whole point of GM Mode if you’re team is statistically strong on paper but the CPU just randomly decides which teams will be successful arbitrarily. Makes me wonder what's the point of improving my team if the outcome is random?
    - The draft is too predictable. Players almost always get drafted in the order in which they develop talent-wise. In reality, sometimes you get a gem in the 5th round and on the flip side my first rounders shouldn't always predictably pan out.
    - Again, regarding attribute development, why do prospects not have any progression between October-December but all of a sudden in January they start to up-skill? Weird black hole for skill progression. And then all of a sudden over the off-season when no games are being played they suddenly jump by +7 OVR? In reality the skill curve should be gradually affecting the player over the season and into the playoffs (esp Poise and Aggression in the playoffs) and then have a more modest boost (for things like strength, balance and skating) in the offseason. But most of the increases should come during the season.
    - Seriously, please fix the ridiculous names of "fake" system generated draftees. Last GM Mode I played the top pick in the draft was Russian player "Maxim Smirnov" and the next season "James Franco" was the top prospect. Hilarious for about 5 seconds, but, c'mon EA.
  • > @EA_Blueberry said:
    > Thanks for a great post, @GraniteCannuck
    >
    > I'm going to put this at the top of this board to create a wishlist that we can pass along to the dev team each week.
    >
    > Please do your best to keep it to this current format. If there's a suggestion in here you want to talk about, I recommend creating a new topic and reference this post.

While we're at it is there a place where we can post suggestions for general gameplay? This thread is specifically for GM Mode so I don't want to go off-topic, but I've got lots of suggestions for general in-game experience?
  • -Add an Auto-Rotate Goalie Slider.
    I'd like to see a clear "Starter" and "Backup" position for my goalies and a slider the allows me to adjust the ratio to which my goalies get rotated. I've currently got an 88 ovr starting goalie who is 3-9 and an 82 ovr backup goalie doing insane with 5-1, but if I swap my backup to the starter position the game just auto-rotates my 88 goalie in more games anyway because he's higher overall. If I could dictate which goalie I want starting more games and adjust the rotation ratio I wouldn't have to go in and manually change their positions all the time. It kind of makes the auto-rotate function pointless when I have to manually change it all the time.
  • -Add an Auto-Rotate Goalie Slider.
    I'd like to see a clear "Starter" and "Backup" position for my goalies and a slider the allows me to adjust the ratio to which my goalies get rotated. I've currently got an 88 ovr starting goalie who is 3-9 and an 82 ovr backup goalie doing insane with 5-1, but if I swap my backup to the starter position the game just auto-rotates my 88 goalie in more games anyway because he's higher overall. If I could dictate which goalie I want starting more games and adjust the rotation ratio I wouldn't have to go in and manually change their positions all the time. It kind of makes the auto-rotate function pointless when I have to manually change it all the time.

This would be good, although it would be better if goalie attributes actually meant something. I had an 87 overall (making him a top 5 goalie in the league) start a season 2-19 with a .841 save% while my 80 overall backup had way better numbers.

On that note, save% across the whole league is an absolute joke - only about 3 goalies per season have a save% over .900 while in reality the league average is .915 and almost no regular starter has a save% below .900. I have scoring set to medium, do I really need to set it to low for save% to be remotely accurate to real life?
  • kyl_35
    69 posts Member
    sten_59 wrote: »
    do I really need to set it to low for save% to be remotely accurate to real life?

Yup! I have to have sim shots high and scoring low.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4191 posts EA Community Manager

While we're at it is there a place where we can post suggestions for general gameplay? This thread is specifically for GM Mode so I don't want to go off-topic, but I've got lots of suggestions for general in-game experience?

A post under General Discussion unless you're talking about gameplay for Franchise mode, which in that case a post under the Franchise board.