EA Forums - Banner

Offensive/Defensive Sliders

After many tests and constant tweaks of these sliders I would love a detailed breakdown of these systems!

Carry/Dump

1. Does this at all impact the AI's entrance routes into the zone? They have a tendency to cut in front of you while you are skating into the opposing players zone. Sometimes they go offside on their own.

Cycle/Shoot

1. Does this make the AI perform routes and positioning that is closer to the middle or further wide? For example, for D men, if putting the slider to 0 for full cycle, will they stick to the boards? If you played an opponent who leaves zone early and loved stretching the pass along boards to a fast winger, would full cycle help your dman "meet" him on the wall?

Efficiency/Energy (Endurance in general)

1. This could be it's own topic, but what does this actually do? Can we get some actual math and penalty % reductions? When my line's energy bar turns yellow, what is the actual penalty for that? When it is in the red? in HUT for example, is getting a 99 speed player with 80 endurance worse than if he had 95 speed but 95 endurance?

Also, does the lines energy line take the average fatigue and display the bar? If i have a player with 99 endurance paired with a line mate who had 75 endurance, will the bar show yellow making my 99 endurance player be artificially penalized with endurance reductions (whatever they might be).

Shot blocking slider

1. Obviously when shooting, but does this slider also effectively move your AI more vigorously in the defensive zone and constantly move to "setup" for a blocked shot? This might be a reason why AI are so easy manipulated to be pulled out of position if this is the case.

This applies to HUT and VS, but any offline mode as well.

One of the biggest problems in my opinion with this series (played since 09) is the lack of information on the finer details of the strats, sliders, attributes. I'm really hoping EA could be more transparent in these areas. (bonus question: What is the actual modifier formula for the strength attribute -- this sums up my entire point. It states "increases resistance to hits" but isn't that what balance does? What is going on!)

Thanks if you read the whole thing! :)

Replies

• Great questions, I’ve been testing all of these out over the past few years as well and can’t seem to really understand what they do. I’ve tried jacking up the cycle/shoot slider on the defensemen to see if forwards would crash more but haven’t seen anything real consistent enough to say it did anything. It seems like the energy/efficiency sliders just makes the game a bit faster which makes sense if your team is sprinting around all of the time. One thing I’m not sure of though, is if your team is actually sprinting around or if the game is just artificially taking stamina away when they do sprint? Or maybe they sprint faster but not actually more? Idk, it’s a tough one to gauge.

The shot block one is intriguing, but I can confirm that jacking it up to 10/10 didn’t seem to help shot blocking, but I ever approached it with your mentality. Maybe reducing that would actually lead to more shot blocks as the CPU wouldn’t be so considered about always getting into the lane which probably pulls them out of position. I figured the 10/10 shot blocking would lead a more “conservative” approach at the point which would give the defender more time and space to move and pass but would have a hard time finding an open shooting lane. I’ll have to continue testing this for sure, thanks for the idea!

As far as fatigue goes, it really does seem to be in a weird spot. For me personally, I’d like to see fatigue “tire out” someone much faster which would reduce skating speed a lot, but I’d like it to effect passing and shooting less if that makes sense. So rather than a global fatigue effect slider, I think it should go by gameplay slider “tab” in all honesty.

Nice discussion, will be watching this one!
  • Sega82mega
    2693 posts Member
    edited January 22
    Yeah really good questions, it's interesting!

it often feels like 'everyone' plays the same, beacuse of that I've tryed every little strategical change you can possible think of, just to see if some seem to work better then other's, but I couldn't say for sure, that I found something thats much better then the other.

Sometimes I even try to put everything the total opposite against how I would like them to play, just to see if I could notice a huge difference. But not directly.
  • I've been curious about these sliders for years. If you put your HUM strategy slider at 3 or more, why doesn't it adjust the individual line sliders as well? Does the CPU make those line slider adjustments throughout the game? I keep playing around with these as well, but really see no difference in positioning, etc.
  • Steven5470 wrote: »
    I've been curious about these sliders for years. If you put your HUM strategy slider at 3 or more, why doesn't it adjust the individual line sliders as well? Does the CPU make those line slider adjustments throughout the game? I keep playing around with these as well, but really see no difference in positioning, etc.

I’m not sure about this one. I don’t think the CPU adjusts those line sliders during game based on how I play and how I’ve never seen those settings switched.

I think I’ve genuinely seen the CPU be a little slower to abandon position at the point since turning down “don’t block/block” to 0/10. Could easily be placebo though, there’s no way to know. The offline sliders and strategy settings don’t ever get transparent answers.

One thing I wish we could do is set team default strategies in the main menu. Would save a lot of time for people like me who only use play now.
  • Just to confirm, 0/10 on the shot block slider has lead to much better gameplay. CPU takes a lot less stupid “tripping” penalties due to the fact that they don’t dive all over the place. They actually seem to really attack your dmen too which has led to some more organic blunces and deflections off of their moving legs/skates. What a great find this was!