EA Forums - Banner

I just threw my NHL21 game in the trash!

Prev1
Today I threw my NHL21 game in the trash! This is the first time that I do that! I'v played many EA sports game in the past and I have been playing NHL 21 since day 1. I have greatly improved my team. I bought, sold a lot of players. I even spent a few dollars to buy packs of cards. My team is really superior. I have 5 activated synergies. My team is Overall 92 with several master players. Can you explain to me why during the first month I regularly beat the mid 80s teams in squad battles at Superstar level and a few months later with a much higher team I'm still at the same point and still have difficulty beating teams of the same level? Not only I improved my team but I also improve greatly my game... I'll be honest with you, I feel like I'm building my team for nothing. I don't see any difference. I don't see the difference between my 90-92 players and the 78-80 players of my opponents. Same speed, same executions and often more agility to get the puck back than my players.

There is something really unhealthy about this game! We push people to improve their team, but there is something about this game that always seems to give a lower team the chance to perform at the level of the better team. It feels like the game cheat!

I feel sorry! I really feel sorry that I took so long to see that and even spent money in this! I just realized that I just wasted many hours of my life thinking about investing in building a team. Today I feel betrayed! That's why I threw the game in the trash and promised myself that I would never buy a game from a company like that again. I will always be ready to reconsider my opinion if I am assured that a big change has been made. But that would be very surprising! Someday, maybe you'll understand how it is to build something from scrach and improve it. Yes, I feel betrayed!

Goodbye EA! Thank you anyway for many years of fun, but unfortunately you have sold your soul to hell!

Sorry for my english!

Replies

• The only explanation is referred to as DDA/Momentum.
    EA mods will come on here and tell you it doesn’t exist but we all know it does based on all the 100s of similar customer complaints about this game-ruining ‘mechanism’

I feel your pain.
  • Trisixty66 wrote: »
    Today I threw my NHL21 game in the trash! This is the first time that I do that! I'v played many EA sports game in the past and I have been playing NHL 21 since day 1. I have greatly improved my team. I bought, sold a lot of players. I even spent a few dollars to buy packs of cards. My team is really superior. I have 5 activated synergies. My team is Overall 92 with several master players. Can you explain to me why during the first month I regularly beat the mid 80s teams in squad battles at Superstar level and a few months later with a much higher team I'm still at the same point and still have difficulty beating teams of the same level? Not only I improved my team but I also improve greatly my game... I'll be honest with you, I feel like I'm building my team for nothing. I don't see any difference. I don't see the difference between my 90-92 players and the 78-80 players of my opponents. Same speed, same executions and often more agility to get the puck back than my players.

There is something really unhealthy about this game! We push people to improve their team, but there is something about this game that always seems to give a lower team the chance to perform at the level of the better team. It feels like the game cheat!

I feel sorry! I really feel sorry that I took so long to see that and even spent money in this! I just realized that I just wasted many hours of my life thinking about investing in building a team. Today I feel betrayed! That's why I threw the game in the trash and promised myself that I would never buy a game from a company like that again. I will always be ready to reconsider my opinion if I am assured that a big change has been made. But that would be very surprising! Someday, maybe you'll understand how it is to build something from scrach and improve it. Yes, I feel betrayed!

Goodbye EA! Thank you anyway for many years of fun, but unfortunately you have sold your soul to hell!

Sorry for my english!

I feel you on this, as I have been on both sides of the spectrum. Beat a team that was 99 overall, he had all synergies active and his players were 90 overall and up. I won 7-3! He sent me his ping and it was 7 milliseconds while I sat at 43 ms as I from Northwest Canada and they have yet to fix the servers from that region. His players were fast in the beginning up and he had a 3-0 lead at first. The 3rd period happens, he all of a sudden cannot do anything, and I walk all over his goaltender. He even had his defense blocking the cross-crease/short side attempts. Sadly I have been on this side to where I'm dominating a team, and then all of a sudden I cannot do anything in the 3rd as the pace seems to slow down. A week ago I went against a base card team, he had a 67 overall forward as was able to get 3 goals with him, as he had more speed against my 89-97 overall forwards. It's honestly upsetting because a lot of the top gamers are starting to see this ridiculousness and have been opting out to play more EASHL or other games. 1 v 1 is slowly dying out in NHL 21. Hut champs, the top players keep getting IP booted so many of them have been done. I only see a couple on the leaderboards as majority of us have to take weeks off to play this game or it affects us mentally. IP booting occurs in even EASHL as proven by a club yesterday in LG where the goalie nerfed itself to the other end in seconds and kept blocking the other teams goalie from making a save. The ignorance of said issues is starting to really aggravate community members of EA NHL series games and have pushed numerous customers away.
  • Throwing it in the trash seems like an over-reaction.

Could have given it away to someone who is maybe less fortunate than to be able to afford to throw their games away when they're having a tantrum, sold it on eBay, or donated it to goodwill.

Or just played franchise, seasons, be a pro...HUT isn't the only mode that's available.

It's just the only mode that you are personally addicted to.
  • Trisixty66
    13 posts Member
    edited January 25
    Throwing it in the trash seems like an over-reaction.

Could have given it away to someone who is maybe less fortunate than to be able to afford to throw their games away when they're having a tantrum, sold it on eBay, or donated it to goodwill.

Or just played franchise, seasons, be a pro...HUT isn't the only mode that's available.

Thanks for your comment but I play the mode I like! I always love the kind of games where you build something form scratch and become powerful. It's not about addiction because I dont feel the need to do it, It's fun for me, even if I put some money in it. If you can read my comment my point is about no matter the time, the money or the energy you put in that game, you will never see enough difference. Your team will alaways remain pretty close to even low level teams. Some 70s contolled by cpu players will be as fast and agile as your 90s+ players. That's unfair ! It's easy to understand that's a trick from a big company to make you spend more money by making you think that you always need better players.
  • SuperKMX_39
    112 posts Member
    edited January 25
    Trisixty66 wrote: »

Thanks for your comment but I play the mode I like!

I see. You like it. That explains throwing the game in the trash in a rage.
    I always love the kind of games where you build something form scratch and become powerful.

Franchise mode lets you do this, without random gacha game mechanics. Clear out a team. Start with a tiny budget and an empty roster. Try to win the Stanley Cup.
    If you can read my comment my point is about no matter the time, the money or the energy you put in that game, you will never see enough difference. Your team will alaways remain pretty close to even low level teams. Some 70s contolled by cpu players will be as fast and agile as your 90s+ players. That's unfair ! It's easy to understand that's a trick from a big company to make you spend more money by making you think that you always need better players.

I do understand what you're saying, but ALL Ultimate Team modes - even the ones not made by EA - are this way.

There is barely any difference in the cards, even if you look at the numbers. Compare base 87 Crosby with 93 Primetime Crosby. The Primetime has +7 on every single stat, barring acceleration and speed, which have +4. Total stats are 2046 compared to 2208, so a 162 point difference. That's only a 7.3% improvement. Yet the 93 is 500k or so more expensive.

Heck, without endurance, fighting, faceoffs, and discipline, base Jack Hughes (79) only has a 267 point differential to 93 Crosby. On the numbers, that means Crosby is only 14.37% better. Hughes even has high 80s acceleration and speed.

If two teams face-off, one of all Jack Hughes-level players and one of all Primetime Crosby level players, there's going to be around about a 15% difference in stats.

In the grand scheme of things, do you think that's enough to mean that the higher-rated team will ALWAYS absolutely dominate the match and that skill, reaction time, decision making, tactics etc. will never be enough to counteract that difference?

I don't. Sometimes, that 93-rated club is going to get whupped. But millions of people don't seem to see it.

The game is working as it was designed to. Nobody is playing any tricks. The numbers are all there in black and white. If people think paying hundreds or thousands of dollars or spending hundreds of hours to get "the best" team in any Ultimate Team game is worthwhile (especially when they know that the team will effectively be useless when the next game comes out in a few months), that's on them.
  • Trisixty66 wrote: »

Thanks for your comment but I play the mode I like!

I see. You like it. That explains throwing the game in the trash in a rage.
    I always love the kind of games where you build something form scratch and become powerful.

Franchise mode lets you do this, without random gacha game mechanics. Clear out a team. Start with a tiny budget and an empty roster. Try to win the Stanley Cup.
    If you can read my comment my point is about no matter the time, the money or the energy you put in that game, you will never see enough difference. Your team will alaways remain pretty close to even low level teams. Some 70s contolled by cpu players will be as fast and agile as your 90s+ players. That's unfair ! It's easy to understand that's a trick from a big company to make you spend more money by making you think that you always need better players.

I do understand what you're saying, but ALL Ultimate Team modes - even the ones not made by EA - are this way.

There is barely any difference in the cards, even if you look at the numbers. Compare base 87 Crosby with 93 Primetime Crosby. The Primetime has +7 on every single stat, barring acceleration and speed, which have +4. Total stats are 2046 compared to 2208, so a 162 point difference. That's only a 7.3% improvement. Yet the 93 is 500k or so more expensive.

Heck, without endurance, fighting, faceoffs, and discipline, base Jack Hughes (79) only has a 267 point differential to 93 Crosby. On the numbers, that means Crosby is only 14.37% better. Hughes even has high 80s acceleration and speed.

If two teams face-off, one of all Jack Hughes-level players and one of all Primetime Crosby level players, there's going to be around about a 15% difference in stats.

In the grand scheme of things, do you think that's enough to mean that the higher-rated team will ALWAYS absolutely dominate the match and that skill, reaction time, decision making, tactics etc. will never be enough to counteract that difference?

I don't. Sometimes, that 93-rated club is going to get whupped. But millions of people don't seem to see it.

The game is working as it was designed to. Nobody is playing any tricks. The numbers are all there in black and white. If people think paying hundreds or thousands of dollars or spending hundreds of hours to get "the best" team in any Ultimate Team game is worthwhile (especially when they know that the team will effectively be useless when the next game comes out in a few months), that's on them.

Agree with much you said, but telling someone who likes building teams that it can be done for free is misleading, as that mode is purely offline. How go you propose they manage to play online with that built team? They can't. I'm assuming he plays at least some online. If not, sure, your suggestion is fine.
  • i agree too. squad battle is not fun at all with cpu playing like god. improving hut team is also useless cause it have no effect.i was back last july from many years hiatus and i can tell if next year its the same ,i won't rebuy for nhl23. i spent about 250$ for the game this year so i would suggest EA to think about it i'm not the only guy spending money.
  • Trisixty66
    13 posts Member
    edited January 26
    I play SB and Rivals. HUT is the mode that I like the most. I can online and offline with the team that I build. Or I should say that I like the idea.

That's a nice explanation about numbers and cards but regardless the stats on cards, we all know that there is sliders behind this. This where EA cheat with the numbers. Regardless of the numbers on the cards they can boost speed, pass accuracy, resistance and everything. When you play cpu on higher difficulty sure it need to be more difficult but cpu players should never play beyond their stats. This is how you break the idea behind the cards being different and more powerful. I dont care if it's just even 1% difference but I want to know that THERE IS a difference. Right now I don't see many differences between squads. In fact, several games my 92 overall team getting outplays by 80 teams. The speed of their exécutions, the way they always recover the puck even after a big hit. A bit unfair.

The difficulty should be define by the overall of the team you play against, not by cheating the numbers. If you got a god squad it's ok if the game feels more easy even on superstar. You have builded the best team, good for you!
  • EA_Aljo
    2381 posts EA Community Manager
    I play SB and Rivals. HUT is the mode that I like the most. I can online and offline with the team that I build. Or I should say that I like the idea.

That's a nice explanation about numbers and cards but regardless the stats on cards, we all know that there is sliders behind this. This where EA cheat with the numbers. Regardless of the numbers on the cards they can boost speed, pass accuracy, résistance and everythong. When you play cpu on higher difficulty sure it need to be more difficult but cpu players should never play beyond their stats. This is how you break the idea behind the cards being different and more powerful. I dont care if it's just even 1% difference but I want to know that THERE IS a difference. Right now I can show you many exemples of 90-92 being outskate by 76-80.

The difficulty should be define by the overall of the team you play against, not by cheating the numbers. If you got a god squad it's ok if the game feels more easy. You have builded the best team, good for you!

Cards are playing according to their overalls. When you play on a higher difficulty, their reaction time is shortened which makes them much more challenging. Regardless, you shouldn't be seeing 76-80 players outskating 90 - 92. If you can get some video of this happening, we'll review it.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

That's a nice explanation about numbers and cards but regardless the stats on cards, we all know that there is sliders behind this. This where EA cheat with the numbers. Regardless of the numbers on the cards they can boost speed, pass accuracy, résistance and everythong. When you play cpu on higher difficulty sure it need to be more difficult but cpu players should never play beyond their stats. This is how you break the idea behind the cards being different and more powerful. I dont care if it's just even 1% difference but I want to know that THERE IS a difference. Right now I can show you many exemples of 90-92 being outskate by 76-80.

The difficulty should be define by the overall of the team you play against, not by cheating the numbers. If you got a god squad it's ok if the game feels more easy. You have builded the best team, good for you!

Cards are playing according to their overalls. When you play on a higher difficulty, their reaction time is shortened which makes them much more challenging. Regardless, you shouldn't be seeing 76-80 players outskating 90 - 92. If you can get some video of this happening, we'll review it.

So if we believe what you said, cpu players skate at the same speed at rookie than superstar? But their reaction time is shortened? That is ****! At rookie every squad, even 90+ are very slow. Are we playing the same game?
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

So if we believe what you said, cpu players skate at the same speed at rookie than superstar? But their reaction time is shortened? That is ****! At rookie every squad, even 90+ are very slow. Are we playing the same game?

Yes. We're playing the same game. Rookie and Superstar skate according to their ratings, but they will make faster passes, more precise movements and find open lanes easier due to their quicker reaction time and reflexes.
  • I do understand what you're saying, but ALL Ultimate Team modes - even the ones not made by EA - are this way.

I agree that the difference should not matter much between cards but your math relies on two unknown factors and therefore is not very reliable as an example.
    1. You base your math on that the attribute scale is linear.
    2. You base your math on that the scale span from 1-99?

A couple of months ago I did some measuring of created players that had every attribute equal but speed.
    99 Speed equals roughly 39.4Km/h
    50 Speed equals roughly 29.3Km/h which is 74% of the top speed
    that means 90 Speed is around 94% of the top speed and so on....

If you skate 99 and 70 side by side across the rink you really realize how small the difference really is.
    Now, i guess most people don´t realize this and think that 99 in speed is twice as fast as a 50-speed player.
  • EA_Aljo

I agree that the difference should not matter much between cards but your math relies on two unknown factors and therefore is not very reliable as an example.

A couple of months ago I did some measuring of created players that had every attribute equal but speed.

If you skate 99 and 70 side by side across the rink you really realize how small the difference really is.
    Now, i guess most people don´t realize this and think that 99 in speed is twice as fast as a 50-speed player.

Speed can also be affected by synergies and fatigue. Also, the carrier has a slight penalty to their speed so these should all be kept in mind as well.
  • Sega82mega
    2664 posts Member
    edited January 26

Speed can also be affected by synergies and fatigue. Also, the carrier has a slight penalty to their speed so these should all be kept in mind as well.

Speed should also depend on how you choose to use the ice on the rink..?

Fine if you only go north and south, from blue line to blue line and two exactly equal players skate, that should be a draw.

But thats not how it works in a game.
  • i agree too. squad battle is not fun at all with cpu playing like god. improving hut team is also useless cause it have no effect.i was back last july from many years hiatus and i can tell if next year its the same ,i won't rebuy for nhl23. i spent about 250$ for the game this year so i would suggest EA to think about it i'm not the only guy spending money.

I can certainly tell you there's a huge difference between my alt account team and my main account team. I can still win with my alt account team, but I definitely have to work for it.

You can't possibly play squad battles and make this statement simultaneously.

Yes. We're playing the same game. Rookie and Superstar skate according to their ratings, but they will make faster passes, more precise movements and find open lanes easier due to their quicker reaction time and reflexes.

So you're saying a bronze skater with 60 body checking can destroy my toty Hedman because.... They have faster reaction?

You do realize devs stated that he ai gets boosted in superstar difficulty, why wouldn't that include boosting attributes?

Why then, last year when the featured squad had a team that on paper would be a 90ovr, but clearly had 99ovr in every category? Was faster reaction time the reason the team ovr didn't jive with the players in the lineup?

The ai on superstar is what you claim, but they also have boosted attributes. That's why a 58 bronze skater with 50s in every rating can win the puck every single time on a 50/50 puck battle. You can't tell me 50 attribute wins vs 95-99 attributes every time just because they react faster. They react faster because the attributes allow for it. If they didn't have an attribute boost, how can they react faster than the rating would allow?
  • EA_Blueberry
    4166 posts EA Community Manager

When we came into the office he was always there early getting in his Squad Battles games before the shift. Every day.

That's just my personal experience.

• You can't possibly play squad battles and make this statement simultaneously.

When we came into the office he was always there early getting in his Squad Battles games before the shift. Every day.

That's just my personal experience.

Getting max points? Or content with the win? Because you probably won't notice problems if you're simply playing, and not grinding for top score.
  • EA_Aljo

Can you get me video of 76 - 80 players outskating 90 - 92 players?
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!