EA Forums - Banner

Puck Raggers....

Literally so sick and tired of puck raggers in this game! I played a game this morning and all the guy did was try cross-crease. Then went faked the cross-crease and scored blocker side. I would attack and he would tilt sideways to lure penalties. After he scored, this person proceeded to skate back behind his net and wouldn't move unless I attacked. Though every time I did he just went behind his net. Wasted 2 and a half periods of that to win the game 1-0. What a joke this game is becoming to be! I looked his gamertag up and found out he was on a club with a Gamechanger. Many people kicked him off their LG squad for ragging and IP booting. If this is how this game will be for the rest of the year, I'm done! It's shameful to see these exploiters ruin every experience for people who just want to play a competitive game.

Replies

• Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited January 26
    humanity...

1 2 2 agg
    1 2 2 red

*full forecheck

Control RW

Come gliding as gentle you can( you should barely move forward), from your right .. Take a long turn from the right corner into the left behind he's net.

Then start pressure him back to where he belong.

+ be careful with using too much of your RS(hit assistance) it create too much vacuum between you and the puck carrier (ragger)
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    humanity...

1 2 2 agg
    1 2 2 red

*full forecheck

Control RW

Come gliding as gentle you can( you should barely move forward), from your right .. Take a long turn from the right corner into the left behind he's net.

Then start pressure him back to where he belong.

+ be careful with using too much of your RS(hit assistance) it create too much vacuum between you and the puck carrier (ragger)

Exactly the strategy I have been using. Kind of useless though when he wins every faceoff and then hides behind his net. Guy even had the nerve to IP boot my friends in LGHL yesterday. His whole club did and they have all been banned...
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited January 26
    8zn3fypebhrv.jpg

Im pretty use to play against them...

You gotta have alot of 'patience'... And move your own players reeeeeally slow... So it's easier for you to find a good angle to pressure them from...

Tempt them to attack, get them to your own zone, put pressure behind him. All the time.

*And a pretty strong arguee against the game speed have to be, a more slow gameplay would probebly mean the end of puck ragger, or at least made it even more difficult. I have a really slow play style and I notice it seems to be hard to rag against my way to play.
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • johnny2fingaz
    322 posts Member
    edited January 27
    I was playing a ragger in vs- they had 800CR - was a very tight game. He scored first and ragged 2 periods... even if he had it in his attacking zone he’d move it to the points and skate backwards instead of shooting. It’s even harder when they are half good at getting it out of their own zone. And just skate to half ice and right back. Absolutely cowardly and not much you can do about guys who are good unfortunately.

If computer did a better job of covering and/or passes didn’t have such a high success rate would be a possible to deter it. Or add a delay of game penalty for not moving the puck (12-15 seconds real time) should be an automatic penalty
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited January 27
    The risk I see with a better CPU is that im afraid people would start to 'only' rely on the CPU. But having a more 'hockey clever' CPU would probebly not be a bad thing for the game. I would like them to adjust to the player in control, if that player is good at covering passing lines, so should the A.I be and if the player in control only fumble around with no really idea of what to do or were to be on the ice, they should not count on good support from their A.I.

But passes should not have that high success rate as well. I would like to see much more turnovers, no mather how good you are at passing, it's too successful.

All tough, It should always be more rewarded to pass the puck between your teammates then to go 'one man only'.
  • [quote="Sega82mega;c-2181248"]The risk I see with a better CPU is that im afraid people would start to 'only' rely on the CPU. But having a more 'hockey clever' CPU would probebly not be a bad thing for the game. I would like them to adjust to the player in control, if that player is good at covering passing lines, so should the A.I be and if the player in control only fumble around with no really idea of what to do or were to be on the ice, they should not count on good support from their A.I.

But passes should not have that high success rate as well. I would like to see much more turnovers, no mather how good you are at passing, it's too successful.

All tough, It should always be more rewarded to pass the puck between your teammates then to go 'one man only'. [/quote]

The a.i. passing percentages even on lower difficulties are way too high. It can be impossible to block their passes because they are laser quick and accurate. Even with a team with like 72 ovr and their player with highest passing has like 80. I know thats not what you're referring to but i just thought id point it out.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited January 27
    Yeah I would defenetly not mind if passes(at least charged up passes) and hustle speed was in a more slow pace.

Would be easier to set up some really nice plays and it would be more rewarded to read the play.

As now, I can read the exact play and be in place but because the puck travel in the light of speed, my player dosent have the time to react when the puck comes flying by.

Beacuse everything happens so fast it's almost impossible to be 3 steps ahead, your mind set is often just 'one step ahead'. Thats abit boring in my opinion. I love to have a 'bigger picture' in my head and try to recreate that.
  • [quote="Sega82mega;c-2181252"]Yeah I would defenetly not mind if passes(at least charged up passes) and hustle speed was in a more slow pace.

Would be easier to set up some really nice plays and it would be more rewarded to read the play.

As now, I can read the exact play and be in place but because the puck travel in the light of speed, my player dosent have the time to react when the puck comes flying by.

Beacuse everything happens so fast it's almost impossible to be 3 steps ahead, your mind set is often just 'one step ahead'. Thats abit boring in my opinion. I love to have a 'bigger picture' in my head and try to recreate that. [/quote]

Imo thats this games biggest issue. Everything is speed. The game mechanics seem to be outta whack simply because everything is done too fast. Slow it down and allow plays to develop, and their animations to catch up to the play and i bet theres a lot less complaining about unrealistic looking stuff happening.
  • True true.

It goes so fast that people are having a hard time to adjust to the games mechanics.

Play offens in 1000mph is one thing, but to defend in the same pace.. I dont think so.
    True true.

It goes so fast that people are having a hard time to adjust to the games mechanics.

Play offens in 1000mph is one thing, but to defend in the same pace.. I dont think so.

I've always said that players interacting with the puck is a long drawn-out animation and players that are in motion are going way too fast in comparison. That's why everything looks and feels like a game of bumper boats on a small pond. I feel like a game with much higher agility/acceleration (shorter animation times) and lower top speed skating would feel a lot crispier than what we have right now. Right now everything feels like a clusterjam.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited January 27
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    True true.

I feel like a game with much higher agility/acceleration (shorter animation times) and lower top speed skating would feel a lot crispier than what we have right now.

Yeah might work, there's definitely something about the speed/acceleration that feels off.

It's so damn hard to find that perfect flow (balance) were everything just floats perfect.

Sometimes I get it to work but thats way too rare for me to be perfectly fine with how things are.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4770 posts EA Community Manager

Exactly the strategy I have been using. Kind of useless though when he wins every faceoff and then hides behind his net.

Frustration is completely understood from your perspective. If there is anything I can offer that could help you out right now, it might be this forum post that can reduce your chances of getting in that spot.

Good luck in your next game.

• Exactly the strategy I have been using. Kind of useless though when he wins every faceoff and then hides behind his net.

Frustration is completely understood from your perspective. If there is anything I can offer that could help you out right now, it might be this forum post that can reduce your chances of getting in that spot.

Good luck in your next game.

My biggest concern is more with the ragging. You aren't going to win every faceoff logically. Just tired of it when opponents decide to rag the puck. You forecheck them, they just side skate backwards to lure penalties...
    True true.

I've always said that players interacting with the puck is a long drawn-out animation and players that are in motion are going way too fast in comparison. That's why everything looks and feels like a game of bumper boats on a small pond. I feel like a game with much higher agility/acceleration (shorter animation times) and lower top speed skating would feel a lot crispier than what we have right now. Right now everything feels like a clusterjam.

This.

I don't understand why they constantly neglect agility.
    True true.

From my slider testing, acceleration is actually the real culprit of the “speed” issues. My current set rocks 90 agility, 50 top speed, and 0 acceleration with game speed 2 and I feel like it plays pretty smooth. I’ve also found that 0 acceleration drastically reduces the effect of the “speed glitch” which is why I keep it there. In a perfect world where their sliders actually worked, I’d probably have it at around 10-20 range just to avoid some of the situations where I feel really “stuck in mud” but lowering the acceleration actually makes it a lot harder to change directions at full speed at its acceleration that allows for the radical cuts and subsequent acceleration in the new direction. I’ve also found that upping the puck carrier skating also makes this effect even better (more challenging/realistic imo) as your puck carrier can get to higher top-end speed which makes his radical cut penalty larger when trying to change directions quickly. My set is at like puck carrier skating 75-80 where default is at 50. Obviously my set is trying to limit my skill from cheating the easily exploitable CPU defending logic on default values, but I still would love to see a tuner more towards this way of thinking (old-gen NHL) compared to this new gen NHL which is just unfun NHL 09 in reality.

Puck ragging is completely an AI issue. Until they actually want decide to make the AI care more about forechecking and getting the puck rather than defending arbitrary spots that aren’t dangerous and actually wind up making the situation more dangerous due to your AI’s obsession with said spots, puck ragging will continue plaguing the game.

When my AI turns the play as the first forechecker or vice versa, which ever AI player I don’t control will prioritize “covering” for some perceived “gap” in the forecheck structure rather than simply getting the puck they are literally a foot from. This is with full forecheck and full attack offense with 10/10 pinch. So if my strategies are just considered suggestions by the AI, why are they even in the game?

I’d even understand from a programming perspective of this happening on “Aggressive” but why is full attack with the description of “your team is only thinking about offense” not resulting in my players completely prioritizing the puck over the arbitrary spot? I mean, should I really need to switch to a 2-3 to ensure my AI player a foot away from the puck will actually engage in the puck battle? I run the 1-2-2 aggressive and my AI who is on the boards and has had the play forced up the wall to him in a 1-2-2 (which is literally what is supposed to happen when reading EA’s description) literally leaves to go do something else or cover for some random spot in the ice rather than getting the dislodged puck from my hit that just happened lol...what is he doing? Where is he going? Is this like mafia? Did he receive a separate objective that isn’t the puck and is just trying blend in lol? Why doesn’t he want the puck?

So, even when you knock a ragger off, good luck having your AI in a place to actually capitalize because they’re are so terribly uninterested in the puck that I really don’t understand why they’re even out here.
  • 😂 “is this the Madrid???” Well said @untouchable_BF1
  • It'll never get dealt with because they don't want it to. They would rather spend hours developing broken bumping into animation that cause a player to go down longer than a head on head full skate hit because surely that's what's missing from this game.
  • lphabsfan wrote: »
    It'll never get dealt with because they don't want it to. They would rather spend hours developing broken bumping into animation that cause a player to go down longer than a head on head full skate hit because surely that's what's missing from this game.

I like that shooting animations were worked on so no w nstead of an unrealistic tap-in happening where the puck apparently “recalculated” after launch, I get to watch my guy do some interpretive dance number while they load up a wrist shot from in the crease rather than just scoring.

Also when using totally manual passing, they love to catch and shoot fairly well-placed passes that could easily be one-timed for whatever reason. This is super fun especially when the catch and shoot animation end up being like a fadeaway from the blueline...if they’re catching and shooting, why is the power on the shot like a flubbed one-timer lol? They caught it, loaded it up, and shot the puck...why is there a speed nerf for that!? If you’re going to lock me into a 3-6 second animation to shoot, at least give me some power so I don’t get totally ripped off lol.

This is what I love about PES. You can tell they have shooting and passing animations built specifically for manual passing. The flow and the little passes and animations they do to NOT lock you into insanely long animations to ensure your vision of a play can properly excite without perfect video game perfection is stunning. Fully manual PES is a game experience all hockey fans should try, because it provides the challenge and excitement that hockey does. It’s hard to score yet incredibly rewarding when it happens. Also, their goalies actually get screened incredibly realistically! Mind-blowing the animations, goals, and saves you see because of it.