EA Forums - Banner

Let's Talk: How to have an enjoyable experience in Drop-Ins

Prev13
JubeiDOK
76 posts Member
edited February 18
It's hockey, use your stick and use it all the time.

Never stop using your stick.
Abandon the auto poke, use DSS for everything.
Do not let your feet do work that your stick can do.
So when you have a forward bearing down and he makes a little dip to the outside, follow with your stick, not your feet.
You want to keep your opponents to the outside.

Play this game long enough and you will notice that players are trying to get to a few money spots over and over and over again.
Take these spots away from your opponent
Just stand in the money spot and use your stick to reach out towards the puck as they approach the spot.
If you don't move from the money spots you'll prob notice countless teams that don't know what to do any more.
They'll circle in the corner forever and not have any open passing lanes.
Try it.
Post edited by EA_Blueberry on

Replies

  • belair_col
    105 posts Member
    edited February 10
    It's a game of angles. If you have inside body position and they have to skate into you, odds are you will knock the puck loose without hitting a button, just skate into them. Don't always go for the hit. Soft bumps are far more effective and will still knock them into an animation, but you won't be in one.

    Also don't try to do it all yourself. If you knock a puck loose, a teammate should be close by to intercept. Never lay down! Animations are bad.

    Don't force passes on the breakout. If you have space, use it to improve your passing options. Defensemen should be passing at a 75% success rate bare minimum.

    EDIT: This was a response to an OP about defending in WOC Drop-Ins. It was merged with another thread about having fun in drop-ins. You can't. Drop-ins are **** this year and will be until EA gives them a complete overhaul.
    Post edited by belair_col on
  • JubeiDOK
    76 posts Member
    edited February 5
    Overhead cam and turning Auto Back Skate off are two big ones too.

    I can't stress enough how much you want to turn Auto Back Skate off if you want to step up your skating game which will in turn help u out a lot on D.

    Inspirational Video:
  • arturowar
    24 posts Member
    edited February 6
    You are right about this. But i've seen a post about bad goalies and bad defense. Yet forwards are by far the most useless players. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good forwards, but the worst players are always forwards. I want everyone to look at their turnover to take away ratio.

    Zero forecheck, I mean literally if the other team takes the puck half the forwards will skate back to the red... there is absolutely no reason you should be giving them a free skate to the redline, that's not defensive, its just dumb. That MIGHT work in a club game where you all play the trap, but even then a forward is at least somewhat pressuring around the other teams blue line.

    Cover the point, its good for offense and defense. The last game i played we could not get it out of our zone because there was no one to pass to, everyone was behind or in front of the net.

    Get open. I am by no means good at this but at least try to get somewhere on the boards or in an open space if the puck is on your opposite side. When games get bad there is often nowhere to go and having 4 teammates a poke check away from you doesnt really help the situation.

    a big thing with defense thats annoying is when the D-man just sits in his zone waiting for a big hit. It works a lot (because forwards LOVE to skate forward in a straight line) but against anyone decent they are going to clue in pretty quick. Also it makes breaking out incredibly easy.
  • Yup, D needs to be played at all positions.

    Here's a pretty simple tip regarding team defense:

    There's 5 of us and 5 of them, no one should be open.
    Draw a line to each player from the puck, you want a player assigned to each of those lanes/checks and the fifth on the puck.
    Stay in the lane, don't just drive by and tap the poke button; you're only playing 0.5 seconds of D when you do that and spend the next 3 turning around.
  • arturowar wrote: »
    You are right about this. But i've seen a post about bad goalies and bad defense. Yet forwards are by far the most useless players. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good forwards, but the worst players are always forwards. I want everyone to look at their turnover to take away ratio.

    Zero forecheck, I mean literally if the other team takes the puck half the forwards will skate back to the red... there is absolutely no reason you should be giving them a free skate to the redline, that's not defensive, its just dumb. That MIGHT work in a club game where you all play the trap, but even then a forward is at least somewhat pressuring around the other teams blue line.

    Cover the point, its good for offense and defense. The last game i played we could not get it out of our zone because there was no one to pass to, everyone was behind or in front of the net.

    Get open. I am by no means good at this but at least try to get somewhere on the boards or in an open space if the puck is on your opposite side. When games get bad there is often nowhere to go and having 4 teammates a poke check away from you doesnt really help the situation.

    So much this. I have played with SO many wingers in particular that have no sweet clue how to play in their own end. They either collapse on the goalie and make things difficult for the players who are *supposed* to be there, or they are breaking out of the zone looking for the hail mary pass before we even have possession of the puck. It's beyond annoying.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    So much this. I have played with SO many wingers in particular that have no sweet clue how to play in their own end. They either collapse on the goalie and make things difficult for the players who are *supposed* to be there, or they are breaking out of the zone looking for the hail mary pass before we even have possession of the puck. It's beyond annoying.

    You forgot the part where they come on the mic and tell the D how much they suck. =P
    But that's really a personality issue, not a Forwards issue.

    Gotta play as a team and that doesn't happen when everyone starts playing the blame game.

  • JubeiDOK wrote: »
    You forgot the part where they come on the mic and tell the D how much they suck. =P

    LOL yes and that the goalie should quit. Even when they can't score.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • So many goals get scored when blue or green decided they wanted to crash the net rather than try and stop their responsibility at the point from shooting.

    "I'm playing defense because you don't know how!" is usually their "reasoning".

    Rule of thumb wingers, if teal or yellow is in front of you, you're probably out of position.
  • Moxrox84 wrote: »
    So many goals get scored when blue or green decided they wanted to crash the net rather than try and stop their responsibility at the point from shooting.

    "I'm playing defense because you don't know how!" is usually their "reasoning".

    Rule of thumb wingers, if teal or yellow is in front of you, you're probably out of position.

    So this! ☝️

    Nothing worse than having your own teammates set picks on you while trying to do your job.

    It also makes it harder to move the puck out of the zone if all my teammates are in my kitchen. Wingers should be forcing the puck carrier and his outlets when receiving the rush and watching their point and the top of the circles in our end. Let the defense and centreman do their jobs down low. (As rule of thumb. Insert a good defensive read here. Lol)
  • JubeiDOK
    76 posts Member
    edited February 10
    Leckaroo wrote: »
    Moxrox84 wrote: »
    So many goals get scored when blue or green decided they wanted to crash the net rather than try and stop their responsibility at the point from shooting.

    "I'm playing defense because you don't know how!" is usually their "reasoning".

    Rule of thumb wingers, if teal or yellow is in front of you, you're probably out of position.

    So this! ☝️

    Nothing worse than having your own teammates set picks on you while trying to do your job.

    It also makes it harder to move the puck out of the zone if all my teammates are in my kitchen. Wingers should be forcing the puck carrier and his outlets when receiving the rush and watching their point and the top of the circles in our end. Let the defense and centreman do their jobs down low. (As rule of thumb. Insert a good defensive read here. Lol)

    You're not wrong, but don't be fooled.
    There is a big trend this year, or at least is only really noticeable this year, to fix drop-in games.
    So those picks are usually intentional, unfortunately.
  • JubeiDOK
    76 posts Member
    edited February 10
    Here's another tip:

    Bubble Hockey!
    Study Bubble Hockey positioning and lanes of each position.
    Learn to play ultra disciplined positioning first, then try to level up to more advanced techniques.


    PS. Maybe I should rename thread to "How to have a more enjoyable experience in Drop-Ins", open up to more general tips
  • Leckaroo wrote: »

    So this! ☝️

    Nothing worse than having your own teammates set picks on you while trying to do your job.

    It also makes it harder to move the puck out of the zone if all my teammates are in my kitchen. Wingers should be forcing the puck carrier and his outlets when receiving the rush and watching their point and the top of the circles in our end. Let the defense and centreman do their jobs down low. (As rule of thumb. Insert a good defensive read here. Lol)
    Same - I call it my office LOL
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • For all the issues with the game, positioning is still key. Good hockey positioning can elevate your game, even if you're a crappy puck handler, like me. I can hit, strip the puck, block the shots...15-20 interceptions is common for me in a game.

    For some reason though, people treat drop in as a tutorial for learning controls. I really wish they had something that people had to play through to open up drop in. A "Be a Pro" style intro in which you need to attain a certain score in order to unlock the online drop in area. If you don't know how to lock up the posts as a goalie, or you crash your own net as a winger, or fly up the ice and never pass as a defender...you're the point of these threads.
  • JubeiDOK
    76 posts Member
    edited February 10
    Moxrox84 wrote: »
    For some reason though, people treat drop in as a tutorial for learning controls.

    I disagree with this part. I find the people I see know the basic controls at least, but they just never try to learn more advanced controls.
    They just try the same things over and over and over.
    I would love to see people taking it lighter and experimenting with new things, trying new moves, new setups and a bit show boating here and there.
    I don't think we can get that though, because I hear too many people on the mics worried they did something wrong or that they will loose points; just overall negative energy.

    The rest I agree with though.
    I really loved how Gran Turismo Sport required players to watch a video on sportsmanship before you could access online content.

  • JubeiDOK wrote: »
    I really loved how Gran Turismo Sport required players to watch a video on sportsmanship before you could access online content.

    EA are you listening? I know this would fall on deaf ears mostly, but if it even resonated with *some* people, the inclusion of something like this might be worthwhile.

    Maybe something on good team play
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • EA_Aljo
    3200 posts EA Community Manager
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    JubeiDOK wrote: »
    I really loved how Gran Turismo Sport required players to watch a video on sportsmanship before you could access online content.

    EA are you listening? I know this would fall on deaf ears mostly, but if it even resonated with *some* people, the inclusion of something like this might be worthwhile.

    Maybe something on good team play

    I'd love to find a way to convince people that playing as a team is how this game is meant to be enjoyed. Showing a video on sportsmanship probably isn't going to do it. It would be great to see people rewarded more for good teamplay. Even if you lose, some kind of bonus for at least working together as a team.
  • JubeiDOK
    76 posts Member
    edited February 10
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    JubeiDOK wrote: »
    I really loved how Gran Turismo Sport required players to watch a video on sportsmanship before you could access online content.

    EA are you listening? I know this would fall on deaf ears mostly, but if it even resonated with *some* people, the inclusion of something like this might be worthwhile.

    Maybe something on good team play

    I'd love to find a way to convince people that playing as a team is how this game is meant to be enjoyed. Showing a video on sportsmanship probably isn't going to do it. It would be great to see people rewarded more for good teamplay. Even if you lose, some kind of bonus for at least working together as a team.

    It's not like GTS made that their only tool to teach sportsmanship, but the video was especially effective because it used repetition to constantly tell the player "this will make you look bad" and "you don't want to look bad".

    PS. All rewards really do is incentivize the player base to find the quickest and easiest way to obtain, which is rarely by "playing good".
  • EA_Aljo
    3200 posts EA Community Manager
    JubeiDOK wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    JubeiDOK wrote: »
    I really loved how Gran Turismo Sport required players to watch a video on sportsmanship before you could access online content.

    EA are you listening? I know this would fall on deaf ears mostly, but if it even resonated with *some* people, the inclusion of something like this might be worthwhile.

    Maybe something on good team play

    I'd love to find a way to convince people that playing as a team is how this game is meant to be enjoyed. Showing a video on sportsmanship probably isn't going to do it. It would be great to see people rewarded more for good teamplay. Even if you lose, some kind of bonus for at least working together as a team.

    It's not like GTS made that their only tool to teach sportsmanship, but the video was especially effective because it used repetition to constantly tell the player "this will make you look bad" and "you don't want to look bad".

    PS. All rewards really do is incentivize the player base to find the quickest and easiest way to obtain, which is rarely by "playing good".

    The people that want to troll drop-ins don't really care about looking bad. They're there to ruin the enjoyment of everyone else. I'd love to see us promote sportsmanship more, but getting people to actually behave in that manner is a bigger challenge.

    I agree. Most people will just find a way to get the rewards as easy as possible, but the hope is that the chase for the reward shows them how fun playing as a team can be.

  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    JubeiDOK wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    JubeiDOK wrote: »
    I really loved how Gran Turismo Sport required players to watch a video on sportsmanship before you could access online content.

    EA are you listening? I know this would fall on deaf ears mostly, but if it even resonated with *some* people, the inclusion of something like this might be worthwhile.

    Maybe something on good team play

    I'd love to find a way to convince people that playing as a team is how this game is meant to be enjoyed. Showing a video on sportsmanship probably isn't going to do it. It would be great to see people rewarded more for good teamplay. Even if you lose, some kind of bonus for at least working together as a team.

    It's not like GTS made that their only tool to teach sportsmanship, but the video was especially effective because it used repetition to constantly tell the player "this will make you look bad" and "you don't want to look bad".

    PS. All rewards really do is incentivize the player base to find the quickest and easiest way to obtain, which is rarely by "playing good".

    The people that want to troll drop-ins don't really care about looking bad. They're there to ruin the enjoyment of everyone else. I'd love to see us promote sportsmanship more, but getting people to actually behave in that manner is a bigger challenge.

    I agree. Most people will just find a way to get the rewards as easy as possible, but the hope is that the chase for the reward shows them how fun playing as a team can be.

    Maybe you could give us the tools to DDos them since those are pretty prevalent in your community now, too.
  • JubeiDOK
    76 posts Member
    edited February 11
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    JubeiDOK wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    JubeiDOK wrote: »
    I really loved how Gran Turismo Sport required players to watch a video on sportsmanship before you could access online content.

    EA are you listening? I know this would fall on deaf ears mostly, but if it even resonated with *some* people, the inclusion of something like this might be worthwhile.

    Maybe something on good team play

    I'd love to find a way to convince people that playing as a team is how this game is meant to be enjoyed. Showing a video on sportsmanship probably isn't going to do it. It would be great to see people rewarded more for good teamplay. Even if you lose, some kind of bonus for at least working together as a team.

    It's not like GTS made that their only tool to teach sportsmanship, but the video was especially effective because it used repetition to constantly tell the player "this will make you look bad" and "you don't want to look bad".

    PS. All rewards really do is incentivize the player base to find the quickest and easiest way to obtain, which is rarely by "playing good".

    The people that want to troll drop-ins don't really care about looking bad. They're there to ruin the enjoyment of everyone else. I'd love to see us promote sportsmanship more, but getting people to actually behave in that manner is a bigger challenge.

    I agree. Most people will just find a way to get the rewards as easy as possible, but the hope is that the chase for the reward shows them how fun playing as a team can be.

    The people that want to disrupt drop-ins are easy to detect, they use pretty blatant techniques.
    Is there any chance of the team utilizing machine learning in the future to weed out such behaviors and bench the players?
    I don't think they should be kicked, but instead benched so they have to stay in the game and watch.
    Force them to quit manually if they really want out and don't let them play again until the game is resolved.
    If a player stays in, willing to wait a whole period, give them a second chance.
    If their patterns continue, bench again.

    PS. Another thing you may be missing with the sportsmanship video is the psychology behind it. We're all taught at a young age not to be "bad". This is drilled into us by our parents and society so the whole idea behind the wording in this video is to connect with those subconscious teachings.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.