EA Forums - Banner

EA - Why doesn't online versus have dedicated servers?

It's still a competitive mode like HUT and CHEL?
I am hardwired with 1 Gb download and 300 Mbps upload. Port forwarding setup. No issues with my ISP. No other games lag but the peer to peer online versus in NHL 21.

The games can get horribly laggy. Sometimes worse than they used to he when HUT didn't have dedi servers.

Replies

• How much money do you spend on cards?
  • EA_Aljo
    2706 posts EA Community Manager
    SturmWolfe wrote: »
    I am hardwired with 1 Gb download and 300 Mbps upload. Port forwarding setup. No issues with my ISP. No other games lag but the peer to peer online versus in NHL 21.

The games can get horribly laggy. Sometimes worse than they used to he when HUT didn't have dedi servers.

With P2P, you'll often see a worse connection due to the distance between you and your opponent. Also, if your opponent has a weaker connection, that will be felt by both of you. I don't have any details on why Online Versus doesn't use dedicated servers, but I know the dev team is aware of the requests.
  • Dedicated won't necessarily fix any problems. People still get booted, and if your opponent lives closer to the server, they'll have a massive advantage.

They add more problems than they fix.

If you're lucky enough to live in a city with a server for ea, you win.
  • Sega82mega
    3253 posts Member
    edited February 6
    Im startin to like online versus more and more..

It's fun cause..

Diffrent lines, match ups. Not every player is "Gretzky". Your 1sth line can be good to use wisley.

Same reason, more clear difference between players. You cant do a solo just with speed with 'every' player.

You get to 'know' more NHL teams. Im startin to like new jersey just by playing with them and get a sence about the players on the squad.

And I dont know if it's because people are more casual not playing for packs, or if the 'maxed out' cards in HUT makes the gameplay less varying, but I found online vs to be more 'hockey'.

But all of this things makes me just wanna get online Franchise even more.

Give us that EA, pleeease.. We need it! (I think we do...)😬✊
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Im startin to like online versus more and more..

It's fun cause..

Diffrent lines, match ups. Not every player is "Gretzky". Your 1sth line can be good to use wisley.

Same reason, more clear difference between players. You cant do a solo just with speed with 'every' player.

You get to 'know' more NHL teams. Im startin to like new jersey just by playing with them and get a sence about the players on the squad.

And I dont know if it's because people are more casual not playing for packs, or if the 'maxed out' cards in HUT makes the gameplay less varying, but I found online vs to be more 'hockey'.

But all of this things makes me just wanna get online Franchise even more.

Give us that EA, pleeease.. We need it! (I think we do...)😬✊

Online versus is definitely a more genuine mode for people who know quite a bit about real hockey and not so much capitalizing on the video game exploits.

The only issue you will run into is players who know both. Then it's a bit like HUT but I feel the same. The teams feel a lot more realistic and balanced. HUT only balances out at the end of the playoffs when everyone has 99 ovr teams. lol
  • Sega82mega
    3253 posts Member
    edited February 10
    Yeah the difference between having "makar/hedman as defenders and Gretzky/Lemieux as forwards" against having DeMelo/Beaulieu and Appleton/Lowry on the ice makes a huge difference for the dynamics.

The better players are with the puck, and to twist and twirl, the worst the gameplay gets. (you could wish it was the complete opposite).

You can definitely see the same 'HUT pattern' but not on the same extreme level.

P2P servers is pretty random, I've played one of my best games through that and definitely some of my worst too.

Dedicated servers is much more consistent.

And I really would like to see some online Franchise, thats whats it's all about! 😏
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

With P2P, you'll often see a worse connection due to the distance between you and your opponent. Also, if your opponent has a weaker connection, that will be felt by both of you. I don't have any details on why Online Versus doesn't use dedicated servers, but I know the dev team is aware of the requests.

Me and a friend where 2 hours away from one another when playing a versus game. His ping was 200 on a gigabyte internet connection through Shaw. My ping was 119 milliseconds on a 300/100 mbps internet plan. Last year we never had this problem. I was 10 to 22 milliseconds ping and his was 7-13. AWS servers have become such a big problem this year, and is why so many of us league gamers have had to build our own leagues dedicated to the region.
  • Socair
    2716 posts Game Changer
    edited February 12
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Me and a friend where 2 hours away from one another when playing a versus game. His ping was 200 on a gigabyte internet connection through Shaw. My ping was 119 milliseconds on a 300/100 mbps internet plan. Last year we never had this problem. I was 10 to 22 milliseconds ping and his was 7-13. AWS servers have become such a big problem this year, and is why so many of us league gamers have had to build our own leagues dedicated to the region.

Versus is not on servers, unless there are more than 1v1 (it moves to servers once a third player is involved). Both of you will experience higher than normal pings on P2P if there is an ISP routing issue or some other interference. You should both be experiencing the same ping, or nearly the same within a few ms.

To address the OP, there are many players, who do not live within a reasonable distance to a server and prefer to play online Versus either with local friends or just because they may get a better ping than what they would experience in HUT. There have been requests in the past to return HUT to P2P for this reason.

However, P2P connections do allow for user manipulation, unfortunately. Whether or not the EA development team decides to move to servers for Versus would depend on demand and the numbers of users playing that mode.