EA Forums - Banner

Is the game playing us instead??

Replies

• twhite1387 wrote: »
    IMHO, I think banning people is the wrong move. I mean, optically its a horrible look and does nothing to help the company's already less than reputable image.

Well it's not like they're going to retroactively ban users who've discussed DDA/Tilt in the past.

They've simply added to the rules you should abide by when posting here. This means if you choose to break the rules as outlined by EA - then you are getting warned/banned.

Also - as someone who seems to get a lot of negative attention from the mods - they are quite good at letting you plead your case. I don't think that a user posting in a thread "I lost today cuz of ice tilt" is going to result in a liftetime ban from the forums.

But if someone is going to read the rules and then post a new thread with the title 'DDA/Tilt exists I dun care what any1 says' - I can see a ban justified there.

So although I agree that banning people left and right would be the wrong move - the mods here have demonstrated good judgement and I believe they'll handle things appropriately.
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    One thing EA does need is competition.

I agree. The lack of hockey game options is a little disappointing. Especially when you see a game like MLB The Show. I've just spent a few hours with it and it just makes a guy wish so much for the same love to be given to an NHL game.

twhite1387 wrote: »
    Take Golf for example. EA released RMPGAT, they released a halfcocked product, got called out on it, and completely abandoned the title almost within 6 or 7 weeks. They said there wasnt a market for those games, which is why they didnt release anything else...which wasnt the case, it wasnt popular because it was a half hearted afterthought and it showed. Fast forward to now...Well there was a market for it, TGC showed that, and now that 2K is making the the golf games with HB, suddenly EA wants back in the game.
    My point here is I almost expect EA's golf game to be lights out because they will, for the first time, have major competition in a sports game. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw a baseball game come down the chute soon either. I digress...point is, EA needs 2K to make a hockey game because the competition ALWAYS brought out the best in EA's NHL team.

I very much agree with your assessment that the upcoming EA Golf Title will benefit from having stiff competition from 2K.
  • Sega82mega
    4222 posts Member
    edited April 23
    I dont think the discussion about this is getting anywhere.

It's a endless topic.

I could either see a 'locked thread' for all the bealivers to share experience with each other, and any post about this subject outside of this thread would get you warned/banned.

Or if you can prove it exist, why don't go all the way then, might even get you rich..

And of course.. EA can do as they now did, after many years of discussing, they now feel enough is enough.

My personal opinion about it - as I said in the beginning, hopeless discussion - that in the end won't take us anywhere in our attempt/feedback trying to change this game to the better.

I much rather discuss, poke checks, hits, passes, speed, puck physics... We'll, even maskots... 😬😊

(and to even get a discussion, it takes two sides that at least knows the existens of the current topic)
  • IceLion68
    1615 posts Member
    edited April 23
    Man everyone I know who plays hockey is playing - and raving about - The Show. I detest baseball... but I confess to being curious as to what all the fuss is about.

Edit: Geez its free on Game Pass ultimate too!
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Sega82mega
    4222 posts Member
    edited April 23
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    Man everyone I know who plays hockey is playing - and raving about - The Show. I detest baseball... but I confess to being curious as to what all the fuss is about.

Hehe Yeah me too... If it wasen't for saving money for a ps5 and NHL after the summer..

Edit; so what are you waiting for.. Get in there!
  • I have tried playing MLB the show. I don’t see what all the hype is about to tell the truth. Since Monday I have not been able to log onto the servers most of the time and it’s baseball, way to slow for my taste. Comparing hockey games and baseball games is apples to oranges IMO. It has to be easier to program baseball over hockey when a play happens in BB only a couple of the players on the field have to move to do anything really while in hockey the entire team on the ice is moving constantly. While the show is an ok game I can’t see it holding my interest longer than a month or so while I play hockey all year round even with its flaws.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »

If you like baseball and understand it, you can have a pretty good offline experience.

Online? It can be as toxic as any game's online modes and has been known to have a glitch or two that can be exploitable. The latter of which became more of a thing when Diamond Dynasty (their version of HUT) became front and center. You ever hear the term "just late, be great"?
  • Wow, this post sure seems quiet now. It's almost like people are afraid to discuss the elephant in the room or something. Wonder why that is?

Either way, I'm still having issues as indicated previously, and am still waiting for a resolution to my problems. Nobody has actually suggested anything useful yet, and here we are at page 16 of this thread.
  • Wow, this post sure seems quiet now. It's almost like people are afraid to discuss the elephant in the room or something. Wonder why that is?

Either way, I'm still having issues as indicated previously, and am still waiting for a resolution to my problems. Nobody has actually suggested anything useful yet, and here we are at page 16 of this thread.

TNK on OperationSports found that if he moves the “fight difficulty” slider (and really, it can be any slider but he chose to use a relatively useless one for this method) by 1 then saves the preset as a new preset, the game won’t start playing like a totally different game offline which has been a great find. You’ll never convince me otherwise that the game doesn’t play different game to game on the same sliders. First game of the night is always slow, feels real, fatigue matters, CPU puts up a good fight. Next game, if you don’t change anything, game moves at hyper speed, shooting is perfect, passes never miss, it literally feels like a totally different slider set. And no, I don’t believe in the theory that shall not be named, I just think every game plays different and equally affects all parties.

I know this doesn’t help online, but just know that many offline slider makers feel this too. This stuff also happens in FIFA both 1v1 and in pro clubs as well. Maybe it’s connection based, maybe not, but connection should be irrelevant to offline play. Something is off with this game and it’s sliders, maybe someday this phenomenon that totally doesn’t exist will silently be fixed because clearly it’s never going to be publicly addressed.

TNK on OperationSports found that if he moves the “fight difficulty” slider (and really, it can be any slider but he chose to use a relatively useless one for this method) by 1 then saves the preset as a new preset, the game won’t start playing like a totally different game offline which has been a great find. You’ll never convince me otherwise that the game doesn’t play different game to game on the same sliders. First game of the night is always slow, feels real, fatigue matters, CPU puts up a good fight. Next game, if you don’t change anything, game moves at hyper speed, shooting is perfect, passes never miss, it literally feels like a totally different slider set. And no, I don’t believe in the theory that shall not be named, I just think every game plays different and equally affects all parties.

I know this doesn’t help online, but just know that many offline slider makers feel this too. This stuff also happens in FIFA both 1v1 and in pro clubs as well. Maybe it’s connection based, maybe not, but connection should be irrelevant to offline play. Something is off with this game and it’s sliders, maybe someday this phenomenon that totally doesn’t exist will silently be fixed because clearly it’s never going to be publicly addressed.

This is exactly the issue that the developers REFUSE to acknowledge as they pass it over as a user skill problem. And yeah I capitalized REFUSE for a reason. At one point the game will do exactly what you do on your controller and then another point in the same game or even a different game the controller itself will be your worst enemy as it will not follow commands barely at all. That is NOT a user skill problem. That is a GAME problem, plain....and....simple.

I know "they" aren't allowed to say anything about how their "special" game mechanics really work. Could you imagine the !@#$ storm that would ensue if that ever became common public knowledge? I guess that's what happens when gaming consoles become TOO powerful. Developers can find many sneaky ways to take your money and tailor the game to play in a way that pushes the players towards exactly that.

It sure makes old Nintendo and Sega look really good right about now.
  • @xPDogg65x

Im like you ,baseball game are way to slow and season way to long
    but baseball game are fun ,
    give supermega baseball 3 a try
    @65 ego (difficulty) ,the game is one of the best sports game i ve play in years
    the game look cartoonish ,the mechanic is spot on and the franchise mode is amazing
    in 20 minutes you can finished a game ...+you can modified the season lenght ,i play a 32 game season...

cheers
    MRSENATEURS

This is exactly the issue that the developers REFUSE to acknowledge as they pass it over as a user skill problem. And yeah I capitalized REFUSE for a reason. At one point the game will do exactly what you do on your controller and then another point in the same game or even a different game the controller itself will be your worst enemy as it will not follow commands barely at all. That is NOT a user skill problem. That is a GAME problem, plain....and....simple.

I know "they" aren't allowed to say anything about how their "special" game mechanics really work. Could you imagine the !@#$ storm that would ensue if that ever became common public knowledge? I guess that's what happens when gaming consoles become TOO powerful. Developers can find many sneaky ways to take your money and tailor the game to play in a way that pushes the players towards exactly that.

Again, I’m not a believer that this phenomenon is malicious or targeted in any way. I’ve just seen and felt this same thing in two different games from EA for many years straight now. FIFA could be a connection issue, my experiences are all online there, but my NHL experiences of different game speeds for the last three years have been strictly offline. Like honestly, I can have a 2-1, 3-2 game offline game 1, and game 2 if I don’t switch anything I can put up 7+ goals in the first off basic forced passes that weren’t even remotely going through the game before (same exact rosters for every team I play with, I should add).

Idk if this is a bug, leftover code from a legacy feature of “every game feels different” or what, but it’s extremely noticeable to me in subtle ways just because I do play this game so much, the same way, the same strategies, matching rosters, and have spent so much time tweaking my slider sets that I really do feel subtle changes almost immediately. I genuinely would not care if they never publicly addressed this as long as it’s remediated eventually which is why I keep bringing my experiences up and try to distance it from “the theory” because I don’t believe they are the same.

Again, I’m not a believer that this phenomenon is malicious or targeted in any way. I’ve just seen and felt this same thing in two different games from EA for many years straight now. FIFA could be a connection issue, my experiences are all online there, but my NHL experiences of different game speeds for the last three years have been strictly offline. Like honestly, I can have a 2-1, 3-2 game offline game 1, and game 2 if I don’t switch anything I can put up 7+ goals in the first off basic forced passes that weren’t even remotely going through the game before (same exact rosters for every team I play with, I should add).

Idk if this is a bug, leftover code from a legacy feature of “every game feels different” or what, but it’s extremely noticeable to me in subtle ways just because I do play this game so much, the same way, the same strategies, matching rosters, and have spent so much time tweaking my slider sets that I really do feel subtle changes almost immediately. I genuinely would not care if they never publicly addressed this as long as it’s remediated eventually which is why I keep bringing my experiences up and try to distance it from “the theory” because I don’t believe they are the same.

I had a terrible day online yesterday, were everything felt like 'air-hockey'. No strength in shots, skating, passes.

No resistance between the player and my LS.

I have started to think, what people describe as 'fat man lag' - that's actually the feeling I like to have when I play.

Might have to do with my 'slow style' I prefer to play, we're I dont like too fast movement of my players that I control.

It will be really interesting to see if there will be a more consistent 'feeling' with frostbite and 22.
  • rblaze1988 wrote: »
    Plenty of scripting, patterns of events and cheap player exploits that makes their team AI superhuman by standing around and not controlling their skater making the game compensate and have the AI play miles better...computer gets puck for them they skate down with no effort and score rinse repeat, lag bizarre online play and incompetent network coding and hand holding for players when they are getting dominated. This should not be a competitively ranked online game or e-sport. It’s a fraud.

None of your videos show any of this.

Really? You didn’t see the one against the flyers where the guy started the game not controlling his skater for a full real life minute and then skated down the ice and scored after his team basically defended a 5 on 4 by itself and broke up all my plays...nvm i don’t wanna get banned again for talking about my experiences online in this game...carry on people. Can’t wait for NHL 22!!!! 😒
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Wow, this post sure seems quiet now. It's almost like people are afraid to discuss the elephant in the room or something. Wonder why that is?

I had a terrible day online yesterday, were everything felt like 'air-hockey'. No strength in shots, skating, passes.

I have started to think, what people describe as 'fat man lag' - that's actually the feeling I like to have when I play.

Might have to do with my 'slow style' I prefer to play, we're I dont like too fast movement of my players that I control.

It will be really interesting to see if there will be a more consistent 'feeling' with frostbite and 22.

Right? That’s what I’m saying. Some games feel weightless. Maybe that’s a better description than “sped up” or “faster” it just feels like everything is too smooth, too perfect, no resistance whatsoever. Passes click, shots hit their mark every time, what feels like infinite agility when on the puck, it’s just a totally different experience.
  • Sega82mega
    4222 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Wow, this post sure seems quiet now. It's almost like people are afraid to discuss the elephant in the room or something. Wonder why that is?

Right? That’s what I’m saying. Some games feel weightless. Maybe that’s a better description than “sped up” or “faster” it just feels like everything is too smooth, too perfect, no resistance whatsoever. Passes click, shots hit their mark every time, what feels like infinite agility when on the puck, it’s just a totally different experience.

weightless is right on. Same 'air feeling' like table hockey.

Hits becomes useless, well On the whole, just to win the puck 'clean' gets alot harder. Which in turn creates a much more awkward gameplay, were everything feels much more 'forced' then it already does in the more 'normal' state.

It's often something between that 'weightless' feeling and the 'fat-man' feeling, that I could call the most common/normal way to play games in this serie, but then once in a while, I get this other type of games.

Fat-man is thunder, you can lay out players with heavy hits, your slapshot from the point create a mess for the goalie, and when you carrying the puck through the NZ with your 'Letang' you can really feel the edge through every motion.

Passes feels more accurate and more steady, you can almost feel through your RS when you receive the puck. It's responsive, in a heavy way.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »

weightless is right on. Same 'air feeling' like table hockey.

Hits becomes useless, well On the whole, just to win the puck 'clean' gets alot harder. Which in turn creates a much more awkward gameplay, were everything feels much more 'forced' then it already does in the more 'normal' state.

It's often something between that 'weightless' feeling and the 'fat-man' feeling, that I could call the most common/normal way to play games in this serie, but then once in a while, I get this other type of games.

Fat-man is thunder, you can lay out players with heavy hits, your slapshot from the point create a mess for the goalie, and when you carrying the puck through the NZ with your 'Letang' you can really feel the edge through every motion.

Passes feels more accurate and more steady, you can almost feel through your RS when you receive the puck. It's responsive, in a heavy way.

Yep I totally could “feel” everything you were describing there lol. I actually love the “fat man” games where everything feels like there’s weight, the carrier has a really hard time finding separation, but the elite puck carriers with open space and room can absolutely turn style defenders. That’s what I wish I could feel every game I play but for whatever reason I can’t. Game switches it up all of the time.
  • i'm a big fat man in real life so i know what you are talking about :p
  • Efbomb
    174 posts Member
    edited May 8
    The game is absolutely playing us.

I’m an offline guy, so all I play against is the CPU.

The problem is that the CPU does not adhere to the physics of the game. It can do whatever it wants, whenever it wants. And there’s nothing you can do to stop it.

Laser, tape to tape passing. 100% accurate behind the back passing. Interceptions with their backs to the play. Knocking you off the puck with ease while you bounce off of them. Insane Spider-Man saves. You have dumb AI teammates while your opponents are all Gretzky-like. Getting sucked into board play after you pass someone. They can pivot on a dime, ignoring the fact that there are legs and sticks in the way to get a shot off. Your defensive plays put your teammates in prone situations.
    Etc, etc.

It’s these things, and many more that I didn’t mention that make it fell like we have no control of what’s going on and that the game is indeed playing us instead.
  • Efbomb wrote: »

The problem is that the CPU does not adhere to the physics of the game. It can do whatever it wants, whenever it wants. And there’s nothing you can do to stop it.

Laser, tape to tape passing. 100% accurate behind the back passing. Interceptions with their backs to the play. Knocking you off the puck with ease while you bounce off of them. Insane Spider-Man saves. You have dumb AI teammates while your opponents are all Gretzky-like. Getting sucked into board play after you pass someone. They can pivot on a dime, ignoring the fact that there are legs and sticks in the way to get a shot off. Your defensive plays put your teammates in prone situations.
    Etc, etc.

It’s these things, and many more that I didn’t mention that make it fell like we have no control of what’s going on and that the game is indeed playing us instead.

i finished 7th on squad battle last week and this week i could be 1st if i'm playing my last game. i agree there is some moment like you said but its not all game long and every game. when CPU playing like god, there is things you can do to change the momentum like making change to strategies until it has an effect, swap goalie or ask for a timeout. maybe you should learn how to score more goal too or improve your gameplay. there is a fact and the game is the same for everyone
  • Efbomb
    174 posts Member
    Efbomb wrote: »

Etc, etc.

i finished 7th on squad battle last week and this week i could be 1st if i'm playing my last game. i agree there is some moment like you said but its not all game long and every game. when CPU playing like god, there is things you can do to change the momentum like making change to strategies until it has an effect, swap goalie or ask for a timeout. maybe you should learn how to score more goal too or improve your gameplay. there is a fact and the game is the same for everyone

I never said there was anything wrong with MY game. I score plenty of goals,

I was just pointing out the things I see the CPU do all the time.