EA Forums - Banner

Is the game playing us instead??

Replies

• d3v1t0
    66 posts Member
    Efbomb wrote: »
    The game is absolutely playing us.

I’m an offline guy, so all I play against is the CPU.

The problem is that the CPU does not adhere to the physics of the game. It can do whatever it wants, whenever it wants. And there’s nothing you can do to stop it.

Laser, tape to tape passing. 100% accurate behind the back passing. Interceptions with their backs to the play. Knocking you off the puck with ease while you bounce off of them. Insane Spider-Man saves. You have dumb AI teammates while your opponents are all Gretzky-like. Getting sucked into board play after you pass someone. They can pivot on a dime, ignoring the fact that there are legs and sticks in the way to get a shot off. Your defensive plays put your teammates in prone situations.
    Etc, etc.

It’s these things, and many more that I didn’t mention that make it fell like we have no control of what’s going on and that the game is indeed playing us instead.

Exactly this. It has nothing to do with winning and losing games. It's everything to do with the frustration of simply trying to play a hockey game. Too much unrealistic nonsense that takes you right out of the immersion, not like it's very immersive to begin with.
  • Efbomb wrote: »

The problem is that the CPU does not adhere to the physics of the game. It can do whatever it wants, whenever it wants. And there’s nothing you can do to stop it.

Laser, tape to tape passing. 100% accurate behind the back passing. Interceptions with their backs to the play. Knocking you off the puck with ease while you bounce off of them. Insane Spider-Man saves. You have dumb AI teammates while your opponents are all Gretzky-like. Getting sucked into board play after you pass someone. They can pivot on a dime, ignoring the fact that there are legs and sticks in the way to get a shot off. Your defensive plays put your teammates in prone situations.
    Etc, etc.

It’s these things, and many more that I didn’t mention that make it fell like we have no control of what’s going on and that the game is indeed playing us instead.

i finished 7th on squad battle last week and this week i could be 1st if i'm playing my last game. i agree there is some moment like you said but its not all game long and every game. when CPU playing like god, there is things you can do to change the momentum like making change to strategies until it has an effect, swap goalie or ask for a timeout. maybe you should learn how to score more goal too or improve your gameplay. there is a fact and the game is the same for everyone

I never said there was anything wrong with MY game. I score plenty of goals,

I was just pointing out the things I see the CPU do all the time.

If you have such a hard time against the CPU, maybe lower the difficulty.
  • Efbomb
    172 posts Member

Etc, etc.

i finished 7th on squad battle last week and this week i could be 1st if i'm playing my last game. i agree there is some moment like you said but its not all game long and every game. when CPU playing like god, there is things you can do to change the momentum like making change to strategies until it has an effect, swap goalie or ask for a timeout. maybe you should learn how to score more goal too or improve your gameplay. there is a fact and the game is the same for everyone

I never said there was anything wrong with MY game. I score plenty of goals,

I was just pointing out the things I see the CPU do all the time.

If you have such a hard time against the CPU, maybe lower the difficulty.

Let me clarify, AGAIN.

I don’t have a hard time against the CPU. I don’t have a hard time scoring goals. At no point in my original post did I say either of those things.

I’m just stating what I see the CPU doing on a regular basis. That’s it.
    It can do whatever it wants, whenever it wants. And there’s nothing you can do to stop it.

okay.
    At no point in my original post did I say either of those things..

Alright so if you can't do anything to stop it, how does that not equate to you having difficulty stopping it?

Etc, etc.

Yeah I love the “organic” rebounds that don’t adhere to physics and wind up on the CPU’s blades perfectly. I like how they can drag pucks out of scrums and pins and tieups with ease but you can’t. Their wiggling while skating at 100% speed in all directions instantly is pretty sweet. I like how the CPU AI mad sprints to every loose puck while mine need to be handheld/babysat thanks to the online community, glad to see offline experiences should be negatively affected because the online community wants pylons for teammates so they can twirl and glitch easier.

It’s extremely noticeable watching the CPU break physics and just behave completely different compared to your AI counterparts. Dropping acceleration drastically and agility down a bit will mitigate this CPU boost, but it won’t totally remediate it. Would love to see an offline experience in the future where all AI players are equal, all AI players adhere to the same physics engine, all AI want the puck equally, and I can then use the sliders (assuming they work consistently) to give CPU some boosts/nerfs they’d require if need be.
  • quartermaine28
    49 posts Member
    edited May 12
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    @untouchable_BF1

I was talking about claims of ice tilt. Not the speed glitch you've been mentioning for some time now. We still haven't seen evidence of that.

I edited this to be the bigger person. I'm still done here. And I won't miss it.
  • d3v1t0 wrote: »

Etc, etc.

Exactly this. It has nothing to do with winning and losing games. It's everything to do with the frustration of simply trying to play a hockey game. Too much unrealistic nonsense that takes you right out of the immersion, not like it's very immersive to begin with.

This right here is the single most common reason that I absolutely HATE to play my FAVORITE game series. I know that doesn't make logical sense, but if anybody has played this game with high frustration they know exactly what I'm talking about here.

If the controller is a car there are entirely way too many instances that I find myself riding in the back seat of said car instead of sitting in the driver's seat. Those who have been through that also know what I mean by that.

Plainly said, your controller MUST obey your commands 100% of the time, and if there is EVER a time when it doesn't it 100% ruins the immersion, which in turn makes the game frustrating and NOT fun in any way, shape, or form.

If the developers could get that point through their thick skulls, and then react accordingly, there may be some hope for this game. If they just want to ignore everybody's feedback then the game will die, except for the fools who think ripping packs on stream at the tune of 100s of dollars a day is what hockey is all about.

I just want it known that the most fun I used to have with video games back in the day were with the games that were the most immersive....the games where your controller worked ALL of the time.

At this point I want EA's developers to know that I do not care WHY the game doesn't feel immersive anymore like it did many years ago. I do not care whose fault it is, because that obviously didn't matter back when the game worked and was really fun to play. It's not MY job to care WHY the game is a turd like that. It's your job EA to figure out why the experiences differ between players and geographical regions as much as they do right now...and then solve the problem once and for all so EVERYBODY can enjoy the game equally. I'm tired of fighting the "forces that be" most of the time. I just want the game to play as intended all of the time.
  • You should try finding some sliders if you’re an offline guy. I find 21 to be actually quite enjoyable in small doses with my slider set. Most immersive package out of a hockey game in small doses imo. I wouldn’t say it’s a game I can sit and play for hours like NHL Hitz Pro, and maybe that’s because the highs are really high and lows kill immersion that much easier because of it, but limiting myself to 1-2 games a night of this has really made me enjoy the game a lot more. I’m having a blast for the most part lately. Obviously I do some crazy TLC to get the game to a state where it’s like this, but it proves the potential is there, the foundation is there. House rules and small doses keeps the frustration levels of your AI incompetence lower lol.
  • IceLion68
    1354 posts Member
    Plainly said, your controller MUST obey your commands 100% of the time, and if there is EVER a time when it doesn't it 100% ruins the immersion, which in turn makes the game frustrating and NOT fun in any way, shape, or form.

I have just started to play goalie (cause I am a masochist apparently) and I have to say that nowhere is this more glaring than in this position. It doesn't happen a TON but its enough and when it does, its generally catastrophic.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Human goalie is so boring, just like defense. Read a play and push RS or LT. That’s it.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »

I have just started to play goalie (cause I am a masochist apparently) and I have to say that nowhere is this more glaring than in this position. It doesn't happen a TON but its enough and when it does, its generally catastrophic.

I used to actually try out goalie back on the old gen (360/PS3) versions of the game. EVERYTHING since NHL 15 has been a dumpster fire at best for doing anything that requires twitch skills, and goalie is a perfect example of that. Can't even play proper useful defense in this game either. Controlling your player feels like controlling a puppet with rubber strings (but it's all my fault don't ya know)

This game has been really hard to play for the last 5-6 years because of what I call "controller insubordination." That was NEVER an issue before, so the developers at EA deserve a hard call-out until they can fix that problem.

All anybody needs to do is read complaints on these forums since NHL 15 to see the same crap every....single....year....and NOBODY does squat about it.

I'm almost at the point that I just wish EA would put this game out of its misery already so I can just move on to something less toxic.
  • So, has anybody figured out a fix for the controller not responding 100% of the time yet...or are we just subject to the game deciding things like this on our behalf?
  • @untouchable_BF1

it s actually true ,offline if you bring the accelaration to 0
    there is no more speed boost variation

i play with speed burst ,game speed @ 0 ,[email protected] ,speed @88 ,and back skating 90

the accelaration is actually just how fast the cpu will get on you
    it as nothing to do with accelaration
    anyways when you play with acc sliders the skatiing animation get out of whack..
    nhl 21 offline is actually not bad (it s the only one in the ps4 era.all the previous version the skating is crap, +plus after 6 years i have a phd in sliderology..
    you need it to make this game fun ...LOL :wink:

CHEERS
    MRSENATEURS
  • So, has anybody figured out a fix for the controller not responding 100% of the time yet...or are we just subject to the game deciding things like this on our behalf?

I’ve experienced that half the time I’m trying to touch pass, the game doesn’t register it, but 100% of the time I’m trying to just change players, I will ALWAYS touch pass to nowhere lol.

I know the 2nd thing is just unfortunate timing, but the 1st scenario makes the consistency of NOT wanting to do what I want more frustrating haha.