EA Forums - Banner

Crowd

I know everybody already knows how bad the crowd is, but WOW have you ever actually just listened to it without any sfx/commentary?

First off, a goal. That's the loudest the barn should be. The idle can get louder at times with excessive whistling at nothing; I'll get to the idle in a second. When you score, I've heard louder reactions at a peewee AA game. What's up with how quiet the cheer is? It's not louder than any other reaction the crowd gives off, and there is no roar. No wonder why it feels like a goal is just meh. Awful.

The idle noise. Crowds chatter, and when something big happens they buzz. You can hear the chatter get louder and people shouting and some whistling and all. In the game, you just hear whistling and clapping, non stop. How do you separate a good play from a team that's just hanging out behind the net while the attacking team is in a defensive trap? It sounds the same! The crowd is reacting like they just won a fight!

Oh, yeah, the fight. Why such a hard cut to it? No fade in or anything! No cheers when the gloves come off, only when they start fighting.

Crowds couldn't care less if you make a nice pass for a scoring chance, or a breakaway. They make the same idle noise. Why aren't they anticipating a goal? Why aren't they on their feet ready for a goal on a breakaway, and disappointed if you miss?

I've been cheered if I go offside. Like... what? That's usually followed by some disappointment. Why are they like "YAY OFFSIDE GO REFS!" ?

Wow do chants sound bad, too. You have connections, can't you get some chants from a broadcast for each team?

Oh man, I could go on and on. I'll save you from reading more. Thanks for letting me rant! Thoughts?

Replies

• clougheed wrote: »
    Thoughts?

I think the whole world agree with you.

I bealive the crowd has not been prioritized, too much other stuff in the way.

I would lie if I said I didn't had high expectations for 22. The crowd is definitely on my list of things I think will improve.

It could really add some realism to the game without having to touch the gameplay.

• Sega82mega wrote: »
    clougheed wrote: »
    Thoughts?

I would lie if I said I didn't had high expectations for 22. The crowd is definitely on my list of things I think will improve.

Improve? Nah NHL 21.........Fresh coat of paint..... New silly clothes annnnnnnd done. I present to you NHL 22.
  • Hehe you and I have a little different approach..

We'll see 😉✊
    I know everybody already knows how bad the crowd is, but WOW have you ever actually just listened to it without any sfx/commentary?

First off, a goal. That's the loudest the barn should be. The idle can get louder at times with excessive whistling at nothing; I'll get to the idle in a second. When you score, I've heard louder reactions at a peewee AA game. What's up with how quiet the cheer is? It's not louder than any other reaction the crowd gives off, and there is no roar. No wonder why it feels like a goal is just meh. Awful.

The idle noise. Crowds chatter, and when something big happens they buzz. You can hear the chatter get louder and people shouting and some whistling and all. In the game, you just hear whistling and clapping, non stop. How do you separate a good play from a team that's just hanging out behind the net while the attacking team is in a defensive trap? It sounds the same! The crowd is reacting like they just won a fight!

Oh, yeah, the fight. Why such a hard cut to it? No fade in or anything! No cheers when the gloves come off, only when they start fighting.

Crowds couldn't care less if you make a nice pass for a scoring chance, or a breakaway. They make the same idle noise. Why aren't they anticipating a goal? Why aren't they on their feet ready for a goal on a breakaway, and disappointed if you miss?

I've been cheered if I go offside. Like... what? That's usually followed by some disappointment. Why are they like "YAY OFFSIDE GO REFS!" ?

Wow do chants sound bad, too. You have connections, can't you get some chants from a broadcast for each team?

Oh man, I could go on and on. I'll save you from reading more. Thanks for letting me rant! Thoughts?

This game is 10 years behind NHL Legacy presentation wise which is sad. I’ve been absolutely addicted to MLB the Show lately because they display the series score in the playoffs, the crowd understands the situation and cheers at the right time, the broadcast presentation is only rivaled by NBA 2k which has an amazing experience as well. Just presentation alone makes me want to play sports games of sports I don’t love more than this one. Completely understand your rant, because the crowd noise, awareness, engagement is really really bad.

This game is 10 years behind NHL Legacy presentation wise which is sad. I’ve been absolutely addicted to MLB the Show lately because they display the series score in the playoffs, the crowd understands the situation and cheers at the right time, the broadcast presentation is only rivaled by NBA 2k which has an amazing experience as well. Just presentation alone makes me want to play sports games of sports I don’t love more than this one. Completely understand your rant, because the crowd noise, awareness, engagement is really really bad.

Well you see what right settings means for the whole experience.
  • Can you imagine... in NHL 97 -99 the crowd would actually yell 'shooooot' if puck possession by a team in the offensive zone reached a certain threshold.

I agree with OP - the dynamics of the crowd need to be improved upon. Definitely feels stale.

• @untouchable_BF1
    Lol me too im in to baseball game
    Super mega baseball 3
    At ego 50
    This game is pure fun
    The franchise mode is awsome ...
    MRSENATEURS
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    490 posts Member
    edited March 12
    At the end of the day I just require some noise and movement from the crowd for effect and would much rather they focus on just gameplay QoL.

In a perfect world with no salary cap? Hoo boy the crowd needs to get pumped on hits, they need to go bonkers when their homeboy gets crunched, we need little kids smearing their grubby hands on the glass and my main mascot man Squanchy pecking at fans of the opposing team.

Please remove the fan you modeled after Chucky as wrll- scares the heck out of me when his face just covers half the screen out of nowhere lol
    Post edited by TTZ_Dipsy on
  • TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    At the end of the day I just require some noise and movement from the crowd for effect and would much rather they focus on just gameplay QoL.

In a perfect world with no salary cap? Hoo boy the crowd needs to get pumped on hits, they need to go bonkers when their homeboy gets crunched, we need little kids smearing their grubby hands on the glass and my main mascot man Squanchy pecking at fans of the opposing team.

Please remove the fan you modeled after Chucly as welp - scares the heck out pf me when his face just covers half thr screen out of npwhere lol

All I want is some noise too. I shouldn’t score a goal and have the crowd already silent like they’re watching a Broadway play before the center ice faceoff lol. Modern hockey is so fun because goals can be rather hard to come by and when you do score, it’s very rewarding, high energy, high noise, it’s just awesome! 2k10 had an unreal experience when scoring. The goal horn was so loud compared to the commentary, gameplay sounds, and it jus gave you the rush that real life goals give you.
  • at least just let us add a custom .mp3 of chants we ripped off of youtube jeesh
  • IceLion68
    1376 posts Member
    edited March 11
    TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »

This is basically where I am at. At the end of the day crowd stuff, what real life gear is or is not in the game etc, is of little interest to me. The only presentation stuff I care about is dropins (6s at least) going back to indoor rinks and normal hockey gear.

There are definitely bigger fish to fry IMO. Heck as far as presentation I think cameras and the scoreboard could use work before they worry about some of this other stuff.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68
    1376 posts Member
    Plot twist: NHL 22 will be subtitled "The COVID edition", and have no crowds at all LOL
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    Plot twist: NHL 22 will be subtitled "The COVID edition", and have no crowds at all LOL
    :D
    And to add even more realism, players of Finnish Liiga are wearing full visors. :#
  • Taxi squad!

Aaaand... If you are unlucky, some sort of random engine choose out 10 online HUT teams each month that will be temporarily suspend due to covid-19 and this users wont be able to play any online games for a month or so.

And after that they will need to re-buy the whole game to be able to play again!

Win win for EA, and would add realism to the game!