EA Forums - Banner

EA wants gameplay videos of problems, I will start posting them

Prev13
0c0pyo3ar4dv.gif

EA is probably going to say I should have played better defense. I guess I could have. I could have been more precise with my left stick and hit him more squarely (although I did get a piece of him).

With that said, why should playing defense be so unforgiving yet offense can do whatever they want? A forward can skate full speed down the wing, pull a figure skating maneuver that Brian Boitano would be proud of - without mishandling the puck or slowing down at all, not being affected by (slight) body contact, then sending a no-look pass past two defencemen while the goalie watches the puck go through his crease without doing anything.

This is horrible, and nothing like hockey. The funny part is EA probably thinks this is closer to a highlight than it is to an indictment of how bad this game is.

Replies

• Great example of the awful META in this game but EA doesn't care about what is hockey or what's an indictment. Their plan is to design a game that lures young players...kids... to it because kids are now the target and biggest demographic that get sucked into their scam. They know that's not a highlight, but they don't care.

Best thing to do is to keep talking about their scam. There are a lot of videos on youtube, more so with FIFA and Madden, that articulate this matter for the uniformed. Like and share these videos on your social media.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1576 posts Member
    edited February 25
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    A forward can skate full speed down the wing, pull a figure skating maneuver that Brian Boitano would be proud of - without mishandling the puck or slowing down at all, not being affected by (slight) body contact, then sending a no-look pass past two defencemen while the goalie watches the puck go through his crease without doing anything.

Well, I guess this where I get to be the bad guy everyone hates again...

You're not wrong about the goal being garbage and I'll get to that.. the problem is that this video doesn't show what you're describing.

That's Mario Lemieux. If anyone is going to pull off a move like that, it's him. Not to mention, he's not skating full speed at all and there's nothing 'Brian Boitano' about that move; he's feathering left stick and managing his body position and speed perfectly - allowing him to take full advantage of his agility and balance attributes. He's baited you in to going for a hit while YOU are pushing LS 100% - so you are making a mistake and he got around you:

v5DFrDn.png

not being affected by (slight) body contact

This angle doesn't really show any contact at all. You're close for sure, but remember you're also making a mistake by instructing your player to charge at full speed - losing any balance/agility to adjust to the angle of the hit.

then sending a no-look pass past two defencemen

I can see the argument that it's a 'no-look' pass, but he does look at his receiver. Plus only 1 defender was between the carrier and receiver, not 2:

ZvOYjVG.png
    while the goalie watches the puck go through his crease without doing anything.

Yea I agree with this. Any time a puck is that close to a goalie, they should be covering it, poking it away - SOMETHING. This happens far too often.

Anyway, I'll go back to my hole now and await the wrath of everyone.
  • Sega82mega
    3052 posts Member
    edited February 25
    A forward can skate full speed down the wing, pull a figure skating maneuver that Brian Boitano would be proud of - without mishandling the puck or slowing down at all, not being affected by (slight) body contact, then sending a no-look pass past two defencemen while the goalie watches the puck go through his crease without doing anything.

You don't deserve wrath from other people, you only trying to save them from a bad experience with the game.

It's a ugly goal, yes.. a real 'speed junk' goal.

But he should have stop followed that guy sence way back.

To play against this 'full speed' teams, we need to slow down and adjust angle to confront them with.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

You don't deserve wrath from other people, you only trying to save them from a bad experience with the game.

To play against this 'full speed' teams, we need to slow down and adjust angle to confront them with.

Agreed. I mean - OP didn't even attempt skate backwards to cut off the passing lane - which would've stopped this.
  • Jagavekov wrote: »

You're not wrong about the goal being garbage and I'll get to that.. the problem is that this video doesn't show what you're describing.

That's Mario Lemieux. If anyone is going to pull off a move like that, it's him. Not to mention, he's not skating full speed at all and there's nothing 'Brian Boitano' about that move; he's feathering left stick and managing his body position and speed perfectly - allowing him to take full advantage of his agility and balance attributes. He's baited you in to going for a hit while YOU are pushing LS 100% - so you are making a mistake and he got around you:

v5DFrDn.png

not being affected by (slight) body contact

This angle doesn't really show any contact at all. You're close for sure, but remember you're also making a mistake by instructing your player to charge at full speed - losing any balance/agility to adjust to the angle of the hit.

then sending a no-look pass past two defencemen

I can see the argument that it's a 'no-look' pass, but he does look at his receiver. Plus only 1 defender was between the carrier and receiver, not 2:

ZvOYjVG.png
    while the goalie watches the puck go through his crease without doing anything.

Yea I agree with this. Any time a puck is that close to a goalie, they should be covering it, poking it away - SOMETHING. This happens far too often.

I totally get it, like I said, that wasn't an example of how to perfectly play that. But with that said, this play is still horrendous for a few reasons.

First of all, my dmans elbow did hit his glove. Minor contact yes, but when skating backwards and stick handling any little bump should have some effect on the puck carrier.

Also, if I had "feathered" the stick and didn't rush at him as much, he would then back into the slot and score shortside. That's why these plays are so horrible - yes, you can adjust for them, but then other plays become more viable. Like the guys that enter the zone skating backwards - yeah I can play off them and not go for the hit, but then I give them an easy zone entry. So even though the exploit didn't "work", it actually did by making me adjust for it.

You are right about it only going past one defenseman, but like you said, the goalie not doing anything about it is horrible. Just want to mention all my dmen have 99 def awareness btw.

The bigger point for me is the balance of defense and offense. There is miniscule room for error for defense in this game - if you are ever so slightly off with your left stick and are slightly facing the wrong way forget about making a hit or intercepting a pass, but offensive players can pull off figure skating moves (I disagree with you on that, I think it absolutely is figure skating) without any penalty to puck control, skating, passing, or balance.

This is just one clip you can pull it apart and dissect what I did wrong and you can say it's Mario and he's good. But that loses
    sight of the fact that the factors that lead to this play affect the gameplay throughout every game, and add up to make it nothing like hockey. Higher level players do this on every rush and win far more often than they lose. That is absurd, we are used to it and justify it because we've dealt with it for so many years but it's absurd. Considering how far technology and other games have come, it is horrendous how little this game resembles hockey.
  • Sega82mega
    3052 posts Member
    edited February 25
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Agreed. I mean - OP didn't even attempt skate backwards to cut off the passing lane - which would've stopped this.

There’s way to little of that backskate in this game for it to be in sync.

The way many of us play, it demolish/tear apart the gameplay.

And not to forget to switch from going between backskate and forward. Sometimes it's good to go from backskate in neutral zone to skate forward back home in to your own zone. You can gain speed and find other ways to defend that way.
  • IceLion68
    1172 posts Member
    edited February 25

Well, this may come as a shock to you :D but I actually agree with everything you said here.

I would add to this that not only is the OP going full tilt towards the end boards, which explains why he sails past the attacker, it appears that he was relying on incidental contact - and to be fair perhaps there should have been a little more - but the right stick is dead center until well after the point of any potential contact, indicating ( I think??) that the hit attempt was very late.

EDIT: I will also say, having done it myself many times, that it is incredibly easy to "forget yourself" when skating back like that and overshoot where you wanted to be.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »

Well, this may come as a shock to you :D but I actually agree with everything you said here.

I would add to this that not only is the OP going full tilt towards the end boards, which explains why he sails past the attacker, it appears that he was relying on incidental contact - and to be fair perhaps there should have been a little more - but the right stick is dead center until well after the point of any potential contact, indicating ( I think??) that the hit attempt was very late.

See my above post in response to kidshowtime's points. As for what you said, I believe the controller indicators aren't showing what I did, but instead are showing what the puck carrier did with his controller. I could be wrong though.

it finally happened!

it finally happened!

I'm not a monster :)
    IceLion68 wrote: »

See my above post in response to kidshowtime's points. As for what you said, I believe the controller indicators aren't showing what I did, but instead are showing what the puck carrier did with his controller. I could be wrong though.
    Ah interesting. I did not realize the replay feature showed the inputs of other players. It's not something I use much. Disregard my comment then.

• Sega82mega
    3052 posts Member
    edited February 25

it finally happened!

I'm not a monster :)

But a nice monster! 😏🙏

I read it as you were sayin, you - Are - a monster... Haha sorry for that.. And if you ever were a monster, you would be a nice monster.. 😊😉
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • Sega82mega
    3052 posts Member
    edited February 25

Ah interesting. I did not realize the replay feature showed the inputs of other players. It's not something I use much. Disregard my comment then.

Nope not other's. Only your player in control.

And are very importen tool for the Dev team to use... To 'understand' the gameplay/video. If I got it right.

From Ben a couple years ago:

"There is actually delay in that controller vis unfortunately. The code for it hasn’t been updated since it went in and the outward facing rendering of that feature isn’t as on point as the actual inputs.
    We have debug vis that is 1:1. It would be nice to update that outward facing vis to work more accurately, add more controls to it, as well as have the ability to see the input of all players like we can do with the debug vis."
  • Goalies needs to be able to explode laterally when in the RVH much better, they need to be able to stop pucks in the crease, CPU defensemen need to be able to actually stay with their assignments on a rush. It’s a 2-on-2 there’s no reason form him to actively abandon the guy he’s skating with, especially since you can see the CPU abandon the man before the user is even “beat” imo. Once again, the AI proving that they’re simply in love with arbitrary spots on the ice rather than playing their assignments.

High level hockey involves so much man-to-man coverage, this game has the AI play like confused peewees running an abysmal version of zone defense. Implementing more man-to-man coverages by default and via strategy adjustments will make this game a lot more skill-based and play like hockey much more. Everything from rushes to cycling would be so much more realistic.
  • Look at this one. A 2 on 1 rush in overtime, Rivals game. I made a pass to Coffey but he decided to quit the rush and I lost the game.

• KidShowtime1867
    1576 posts Member
    edited February 25
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    Look at this one. A 2 on 1 rush in overtime, Rivals game. I made a pass to Coffey but he decided to quit the rush and I lost the game.

Man do I ever hate when this happens.

A.I. should be able to recognize a rush and negate a pending line change.

• jplavoie96 wrote: »
    Look at this one. A 2 on 1 rush in overtime, Rivals game. I made a pass to Coffey but he decided to quit the rush and I lost the game.

Man do I ever hate when this happens.

A.I. should be able to recognize a rush and negate a pending line change.

Yeah but if look carefully, Coffey stayed on the ice the whole time. He’s still on the ice when I got scored.
  • jplavoie96 wrote: »

He was about to cut in behind of you... To your right side.

Wasen't gonna change.

It was your pass to 'no one' that screw this up.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »

He was about to cut in behind of you... To your right side.

Wasen't gonna change.

It was your pass to 'no one' that screw this up.

Cut behind me on a 2 on 1 rush. Are you *******ing serious? Have you ever played a real game of hockey? Show me a video of an NHL game where this kind a thing happened. Good luck finding one. Tell you what, a guy that does that in a real NHL game will end up on waivers the next morning.