EA Forums - Banner

Update regarding offensive team/player names

Prev1
EA_Aljo
3020 posts EA Community Manager
edited May 25
Hello, everyone. We've released an update on handling offensive player and team names.

kfxlhtizn23i.png
Post edited by EA_Blueberry on

Replies

  • What if i was banned and my name wasn't intended to be "offensive"?
  • EA_Aljo
    3020 posts EA Community Manager
    What if i was banned and my name wasn't intended to be "offensive"?

    This article provides instructions for disputing bans.
  • This is always a good post but I've noticed some of the celebrations are a bit iffy too and hope those are reviewed going forward.

    The monkey bars and minstrel show dancing doesn't help the credibility of that statement.
  • > @EA_Aljo said:
    > This article provides instructions for disputing bans.

    Already did like 3 cases already, and i just get a bot message everytime.
  • EA_Aljo
    3020 posts EA Community Manager
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    > This article provides instructions for disputing bans.

    Already did like 3 cases already, and i just get a bot message everytime.

    While it may be a canned response, a bot doesn't send that out. A human performs the investigation and emails you. If they are repeatedly saying the action taken was correct, it's because they have no evidence to overturn the ban.
  • > @Jeff_frm_Edmonds said:
    > This is always a good post but I've noticed some of the celebrations are a bit iffy too and hope those are reviewed going forward.
    >
    > The monkey bars and minstrel show dancing doesn't help the credibility of that statement.

    Yea Man, What low people, Eh?
  • What if i was banned and my name wasn't intended to be "offensive"?

    Dude I use my real name as my player name. My Last name is White. I've been falsely banned twice in four years for having a "racist" name. The fact that both times have happened during BHM is kinda alarming, either way it was somewhat easy to reverse it, they just asked to see a piece of ID, and a piece of mail. Just kinda comical.
  • I find it offensive that others find words offensive and they therefore can control what others say. Who is the ultimate judge of whether something is offensive or not? Is there a definitive guide on what is and is not offensive and who and who shouldn’t be offended?

    Even though I find it offensive it’s fine with me as I don’t intend to offend.
  • JTFNORTON
    1 posts New member
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    > Hello, everyone. We've released an update on handling offensive player and team names.

    As a gamer who has been gaming for over 4 decades? I came back to NHL in 2017.
    With the amount of names that i've seen over 3 game cycles, it's about time you all started cracking down on this.

    Now, before anyone blows a gasket. Let it be known, I'm all for Free Speech, but when it comes to gaming, I've seen tons of adjusted racist names along with tons of adjusted names that the liberals would consider "Hate Speech".

    Why are we? As a community? As men? As gamers? Disrespect those that have gone through the ...... that makes us divided?

    Just remember. What you think is funny? Or what you think is comical? Remember what went down in the country of origin you're coming from.

    If you support that type of social discord? All I can say is, "Men are judged by there actions. Not by the color of their skin or their name."

    This also goes out to all of the female gamers who play EASHL as well.

    You get more respect by being a team member than an individual!

    Just my .02. I'm sure this will garner the hate and discontent I expect from the left and those who think they're right. When in reality, you're wrong.

    Start swinging that ban hammer. HARD! And I mean Console, Perma, and IP bans!
    You act the fool, you pay the price. EA isn't going to lose profits. Trust me. Why? There's always a gamer, buying this product.
  • IceLion68
    1553 posts Member
    This past weekend I tried to change my player first name to "Ice" and it failed the profanity filter... seriously EA come on. "Ice" is profanity?

    Yet I *STILL* see some pretty egregious team and player names out there. EA is doing a TERRIBLE job on this. All over the place.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • EA_Aljo
    3020 posts EA Community Manager
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    This past weekend I tried to change my player first name to "Ice" and it failed the profanity filter... seriously EA come on. "Ice" is profanity?

    Yet I *STILL* see some pretty egregious team and player names out there. EA is doing a TERRIBLE job on this. All over the place.

    It's unfortunate you have to see these names. I'm definitely sorry for that. We hate that people still find creative ways to get around the filters. We have actioned a very high number of accounts throughout all our games. Not just NHL and we'll keep doing so. However, we're not going to catch them all. Unfortunately, we don't really have a way to monitor every single name update. If players are reported through the built-in reporting system, that will notify Terms of Service. You can also send us private messages here and we'll pass along the report.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    This past weekend I tried to change my player first name to "Ice" and it failed the profanity filter... seriously EA come on. "Ice" is profanity?

    Yet I *STILL* see some pretty egregious team and player names out there. EA is doing a TERRIBLE job on this. All over the place.

    It's unfortunate you have to see these names. I'm definitely sorry for that. We hate that people still find creative ways to get around the filters. We have actioned a very high number of accounts throughout all our games. Not just NHL and we'll keep doing so. However, we're not going to catch them all. Unfortunately, we don't really have a way to monitor every single name update. If players are reported through the built-in reporting system, that will notify Terms of Service. You can also send us private messages here and we'll pass along the report.

    But that's just it...none of them are that creative and should even make it past the filter. Yet my friend can't use his last name of "Ranger" because the "****" gets caught in the filter. Even my own last name of "White" has triggered profane name bans(overturned of course).

    I've seen "Blackmano'n Welfare" in EASHL before. I know you guys are doing your best and its appreciated, but sometimes the things that get through are so obvious. Teams called things like "The Great Apes" and they're all 6'9" black guys, the logo is the gorilla blacked out, these are just some of the examples.
  • EA_Aljo
    3020 posts EA Community Manager
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    This past weekend I tried to change my player first name to "Ice" and it failed the profanity filter... seriously EA come on. "Ice" is profanity?

    Yet I *STILL* see some pretty egregious team and player names out there. EA is doing a TERRIBLE job on this. All over the place.

    It's unfortunate you have to see these names. I'm definitely sorry for that. We hate that people still find creative ways to get around the filters. We have actioned a very high number of accounts throughout all our games. Not just NHL and we'll keep doing so. However, we're not going to catch them all. Unfortunately, we don't really have a way to monitor every single name update. If players are reported through the built-in reporting system, that will notify Terms of Service. You can also send us private messages here and we'll pass along the report.

    But that's just it...none of them are that creative and should even make it past the filter. Yet my friend can't use his last name of "Ranger" because the "****" gets caught in the filter. Even my own last name of "White" has triggered profane name bans(overturned of course).

    I've seen "Blackmano'n Welfare" in EASHL before. I know you guys are doing your best and its appreciated, but sometimes the things that get through are so obvious. Teams called things like "The Great Apes" and they're all 6'9" black guys, the logo is the gorilla blacked out, these are just some of the examples.

    Feel free to send any details to me in a private message. You can also use the in-game reporting tool to notify our team that handles these cases.
  • IceLion68
    1553 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    This past weekend I tried to change my player first name to "Ice" and it failed the profanity filter... seriously EA come on. "Ice" is profanity?

    Yet I *STILL* see some pretty egregious team and player names out there. EA is doing a TERRIBLE job on this. All over the place.

    It's unfortunate you have to see these names. I'm definitely sorry for that. We hate that people still find creative ways to get around the filters. We have actioned a very high number of accounts throughout all our games. Not just NHL and we'll keep doing so. However, we're not going to catch them all. Unfortunately, we don't really have a way to monitor every single name update. If players are reported through the built-in reporting system, that will notify Terms of Service. You can also send us private messages here and we'll pass along the report.
    And being able to change my first name to Ice? Like, why is it even triggered by this?
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • EA_Aljo
    3020 posts EA Community Manager
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    This past weekend I tried to change my player first name to "Ice" and it failed the profanity filter... seriously EA come on. "Ice" is profanity?

    Yet I *STILL* see some pretty egregious team and player names out there. EA is doing a TERRIBLE job on this. All over the place.

    It's unfortunate you have to see these names. I'm definitely sorry for that. We hate that people still find creative ways to get around the filters. We have actioned a very high number of accounts throughout all our games. Not just NHL and we'll keep doing so. However, we're not going to catch them all. Unfortunately, we don't really have a way to monitor every single name update. If players are reported through the built-in reporting system, that will notify Terms of Service. You can also send us private messages here and we'll pass along the report.
    And being able to change my first name to Ice? Like, why is it even triggered by this?

    I really don't know why that would be considered profanity. I'll pass along the feedback on this.
  • Socair
    2761 posts Game Changer
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    This past weekend I tried to change my player first name to "Ice" and it failed the profanity filter... seriously EA come on. "Ice" is profanity?

    Yet I *STILL* see some pretty egregious team and player names out there. EA is doing a TERRIBLE job on this. All over the place.

    It's unfortunate you have to see these names. I'm definitely sorry for that. We hate that people still find creative ways to get around the filters. We have actioned a very high number of accounts throughout all our games. Not just NHL and we'll keep doing so. However, we're not going to catch them all. Unfortunately, we don't really have a way to monitor every single name update. If players are reported through the built-in reporting system, that will notify Terms of Service. You can also send us private messages here and we'll pass along the report.
    And being able to change my first name to Ice? Like, why is it even triggered by this?
    My guess is that the “ic” had to be added to the filter list because people were replacing the g in “ig” with a c, for a particular offensive term.
  • IceLion68
    1553 posts Member
    Socair wrote: »
    My guess is that the “ic” had to be added to the filter list because people were replacing the g in “ig” with a c, for a particular offensive term.

    Crikey - that's a pretty broad filter. I would hope that's not how it works. If so you couldnt have "Nick" , Nice", "Slick", "Tumeric", surely their filters must be smarter than this?
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68
    1553 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    This past weekend I tried to change my player first name to "Ice" and it failed the profanity filter... seriously EA come on. "Ice" is profanity?

    Yet I *STILL* see some pretty egregious team and player names out there. EA is doing a TERRIBLE job on this. All over the place.

    It's unfortunate you have to see these names. I'm definitely sorry for that. We hate that people still find creative ways to get around the filters. We have actioned a very high number of accounts throughout all our games. Not just NHL and we'll keep doing so. However, we're not going to catch them all. Unfortunately, we don't really have a way to monitor every single name update. If players are reported through the built-in reporting system, that will notify Terms of Service. You can also send us private messages here and we'll pass along the report.
    And being able to change my first name to Ice? Like, why is it even triggered by this?

    I really don't know why that would be considered profanity. I'll pass along the feedback on this.

    Thanks sir!
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    This past weekend I tried to change my player first name to "Ice" and it failed the profanity filter... seriously EA come on. "Ice" is profanity?

    Yet I *STILL* see some pretty egregious team and player names out there. EA is doing a TERRIBLE job on this. All over the place.

    It's unfortunate you have to see these names. I'm definitely sorry for that. We hate that people still find creative ways to get around the filters. We have actioned a very high number of accounts throughout all our games. Not just NHL and we'll keep doing so. However, we're not going to catch them all. Unfortunately, we don't really have a way to monitor every single name update. If players are reported through the built-in reporting system, that will notify Terms of Service. You can also send us private messages here and we'll pass along the report.

    But that's just it...none of them are that creative and should even make it past the filter. Yet my friend can't use his last name of "Ranger" because the "****" gets caught in the filter. Even my own last name of "White" has triggered profane name bans(overturned of course).

    I've seen "Blackmano'n Welfare" in EASHL before. I know you guys are doing your best and its appreciated, but sometimes the things that get through are so obvious. Teams called things like "The Great Apes" and they're all 6'9" black guys, the logo is the gorilla blacked out, these are just some of the examples.

    Feel free to send any details to me in a private message. You can also use the in-game reporting tool to notify our team that handles these cases.

    We use the in game reporting tool, my point was that those shoudn't even get past the initial filter, know what I'm saying? And I will happily pass along any details I can to get trash like that out of our game.
  • Socair
    2761 posts Game Changer
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    Socair wrote: »
    My guess is that the “ic” had to be added to the filter list because people were replacing the g in “ig” with a c, for a particular offensive term.

    Crikey - that's a pretty broad filter. I would hope that's not how it works. If so you couldnt have "Nick" , Nice", "Slick", "Tumeric", surely their filters must be smarter than this?

    Well I saw someone on PS4 with “The Iceman” as their name last night...so I have no idea now lol.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!