EA Forums - Banner

Looks like Frostbite is coming to NHL 22

Replies

• IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    jrago73 wrote: »

You're the lowest priority?
    :wink:

In this case I am quite happy for others to have gone before NHL.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • I guess one positive thing to glean from that is that NHL has the benefit of learning from the transition to Frostbite via FIFA and Madden and hopefully that helps alleviate some of the issues.

It might be cynical of me, but I'll believe it when I see it. I still remember the "they'll benefit so much from what EA learned moving Madden and FIFA to PS4/XBOX One" talking point and what NHL 15 ended up being.
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    I guess one positive thing to glean from that is that NHL has the benefit of learning from the transition to Frostbite via FIFA and Madden and hopefully that helps alleviate some of the issues.

It might be cynical of me, but I'll believe it when I see it. I still remember the "they'll benefit so much from what EA learned moving Madden and FIFA to PS4/XBOX One" talking point and what NHL 15 ended up being.
    I am with you. But imagine how much WORSE it would have been if NHL was the first to have gone to Next Gen...

I will say tho I am mildly encouraged that in this situation, the team seemed very aware back as far as 3 years ago what going to FrostBite would mean in a transition year as far as feature set
    "Despite the two key sports titles making the move, not every EA Sports franchise has switched over. NBA Live 19 and NHL 19 still use Ignite, while EA Sports UFC 3 uses the all-new RPM Tech engine. NHL's steadfast hold against Frostbite has been noticeable to the community, and according to the developers, that's because they don't want to lose features in the transition to the new engine.
    "Really, we have so much invested in what's built in Ignite. And right now we feel that we don't really want to go into a transition year where... well, in our last transition year, a lot sort of had to be left on the cutting room floor, right? We didn't deliver to our fans expectations and so right now we've got a critical mass of different modes where people are investing in them, they're playing them. They want Threes. It runs in the current engine. We built our customization in it and so, right now, we're trying to deliver to more fans expectations. I'm not sure that transitioning to Frostbite right away would actually deliver what our fans expect," explained NHL 19 creative director William Ho to USG"
    https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ea-frostbite-engine-history-bioware-ea-sports

So the ideal situation is they have been managing this migration over a number of years, rather than trying to do it all it once. I also have to think that FrostBite is more feature rich now than it was 3 years ago.

All the previously mentioned dev concerns remain very troubling however.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    "right now we've got a critical mass of different modes where people are investing in them, they're playing them. They want Threes. It runs in the current engine."

I wonder if that means we will get alot of new modes to play, and say goodbye to some of the old once...

Naaah im positive about this... Just leave the whole ignite behind us and step into something new, something fresh.

Just a little thing like the 'loading circle' top right corner on the screen. Been there forever. 'connecting' jada jada bla bla bla...

I won't miss a thing.

Time to 'hate' on something new!
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    I wouldn't be holding out much hope that FrostBite will fix connection issues... but then again it might.

I do wonder about statements like this though:

"They want Threes."

Is this actually true? And if so, what does it mean for the future of the franchise? Will we get more and more away from "standard" hockey?

At this point it almost feels like the game should be broken into multiple products.
  • jrago73
    748 posts Member
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be holding out much hope that FrostBite will fix connection issues... but then again it might.

"They want Threes."

Is this actually true? And if so, what does it mean for the future of the franchise? Will we get more and more away from "standard" hockey?

At this point it almost feels like the game should be broken into multiple products.

I think a lot of people just play 3's because you can get a lobby filled a lot easier than 6's thanks to all the frivolous game modes diluting the population.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager

"They want Threes."

I think a lot of people just play 3's because you can get a lobby filled a lot easier than 6's thanks to all the frivolous game modes diluting the population.

I'm not so sure it's that. You get the opportunity to play the puck more in 3's compared to 6's. It's far more offensive-based. It's just a different animal when it comes to game strategy.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited March 2021
    https://youtu.be/fqKqd7QRiuE

All tough there's nothing direct new about that video.

The talk about frostbite not fitting sports game and is more adjusted to first person.

Man can only hope, beacuse it's never been done before, that the relationship between frostbite + hockey games will be a love story.
  • j0rtsu67
    644 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »

The talk about frostbite not fitting sports game and is more adjusted to first person.

Man can only hope, beacuse it's never been done before, that the relationship between frostbite + hockey games will be a love story.
    Love stories can have a sad ending though... :'(
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »

Love stories can have a sad ending though... :'(

Hehe good point, lets hope not! And if so.. At least we in this community got each other! 🤗🥰😄
  • IceLion68 wrote: »

I would love this and have thought about it before.

Since EASHL came out It’s the only mode I play. I don’t even like seeing anything HUT related in this mode.

I would (as probably a lot of others) like to be able to buy just EASHL at a cheaper price (like $39.99) with simple menus without any of the other modes cluttering it up. Like what’s with the checking/updating rosters etc every time I load into a dressing room or whatnot?

Then have an option to buy/add another mode for say $19.99. If you want the whole game like now then you pay the current price. It would be like instead of buying/renting out a whole house you can buy/rent out the rooms individually for more.

EA might make even more money this way and gain a lot of old players back and get new ones.
  • jrago73
    748 posts Member

Like Romeo and Juliet.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member

Like Romeo and Juliet.

Hehe more like Brokeback Mountain... All tough I haven’t seen it... 😬😄
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    I guess one positive thing to glean from that is that NHL has the benefit of learning from the transition to Frostbite via FIFA and Madden and hopefully that helps alleviate some of the issues.

I am with you. But imagine how much WORSE it would have been if NHL was the first to have gone to Next Gen...

I will say tho I am mildly encouraged that in this situation, the team seemed very aware back as far as 3 years ago what going to FrostBite would mean in a transition year as far as feature set
    "Despite the two key sports titles making the move, not every EA Sports franchise has switched over. NBA Live 19 and NHL 19 still use Ignite, while EA Sports UFC 3 uses the all-new RPM Tech engine. NHL's steadfast hold against Frostbite has been noticeable to the community, and according to the developers, that's because they don't want to lose features in the transition to the new engine.
    "Really, we have so much invested in what's built in Ignite. And right now we feel that we don't really want to go into a transition year where... well, in our last transition year, a lot sort of had to be left on the cutting room floor, right? We didn't deliver to our fans expectations and so right now we've got a critical mass of different modes where people are investing in them, they're playing them. They want Threes. It runs in the current engine. We built our customization in it and so, right now, we're trying to deliver to more fans expectations. I'm not sure that transitioning to Frostbite right away would actually deliver what our fans expect," explained NHL 19 creative director William Ho to USG"
    https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ea-frostbite-engine-history-bioware-ea-sports

So the ideal situation is they have been managing this migration over a number of years, rather than trying to do it all it once. I also have to think that FrostBite is more feature rich now than it was 3 years ago.

All the previously mentioned dev concerns remain very troubling however.

Reading about frostbite explains so much about the state of all of their sports games imo. EA is taking the cheap, easy route by going “universal” with their game engine and their pretty poor generation of sports games is proof of that. Stale, robotic, not very fun would be words that could globally describe NHL, FIFA, Madden on the X1/PS4 platforms.
  • I would like to read an interview of how things going...

April now, times fly...

They should have made strides in their making of the NHL 22.

I wonder how the developers feel, if their pumped! 😬😏
  • kyl_35
    184 posts Member

I get the feeling that making NHL is miserable, especially once it comes out and people start bashing it online almost immediately every year.

Also, fix franchise mode...
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    kyl_35 wrote: »

I get the feeling that making NHL is miserable, especially once it comes out and people start bashing it online almost immediately every year.

Hehe it's definitely a tough crowd to please. But I think time is on the developers side, new technology should open up a whole diffrent world for them to work with.

But hell do I know..

😄
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    Follisimo wrote: »
    With Frostbite becoming a reality there is hope for a PC release in a couple years.

If they don't allow cross-play will it even matter?

I mean the real question is how many would buy the game on PC. I mean that is clearly up in the air. The only reason I own a console is because of the NHL series. If they made the game to PC I would imagine quite a few would make a move over there.

But yes cross-play should be a thing also and it's not even that hard of a thing to work with but they draw it out because it's not a priority.

I would. I have a fairly solid gaming rig. I probably would barely use my Xbox if I could instead play nhl on my pc
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Hehe it's definitely a tough crowd to please. But I think time is on the developers side, new technology should open up a whole diffrent world for them to work with.

But hell do I know..

😄

New technology for the developers is more likely to cause more problems! 😝

• Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member

But hell do I know..

😄

New technology for the developers is more likely to cause more problems! 😝

Hehe yeah I wouldn’t wanna bet that we won't have any problems to deal with.

But I hope that the problems that - will - occur, cause they will, at least will be 'better' problems, easier to handle/and, or to live with...

😏