EA Forums - Banner

Looks like Frostbite is coming to NHL 22

Replies

• Follisimo
    1318 posts Member
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    Follisimo wrote: »
    For the most part Madden on PC isn't infested with hackers n cheaters. NHL doesn't really have huge ways to cheat.

Ya it strikes me that NHL would be one of the "safest" games for crossplay tbh. I'd take it if it meant a larger player base.

Bigger playerbase is always a better thing when it comes to the health of a video game. Hell next season on Destiny 2 they are adding crossplay which is gonna be a huge thing. Lots of my friends went to PC and or Playstation so the more people the better.

But I would say I'm 100% certain we wouldn't get a PC release without crossplay. They wouldn't want to split the community up even more without a way of bringing everyone together.

• jrago73
    746 posts Member
    For the most part Madden on PC isn't infested with hackers n cheaters. NHL doesn't really have huge ways to cheat.

Ya it strikes me that NHL would be one of the "safest" games for crossplay tbh. I'd take it if it meant a larger player base.

Bigger playerbase is always a better thing when it comes to the health of a video game. Hell next season on Destiny 2 they are adding crossplay which is gonna be a huge thing. Lots of my friends went to PC and or Playstation so the more people the better.

But I would say I'm 100% certain we wouldn't get a PC release without crossplay. They wouldn't want to split the community up even more without a way of bringing everyone together.

Unless its with half a dozen extraneous game modes...
  • IceLion68
    1618 posts Member
    jrago73 wrote: »

Unless its with half a dozen extraneous game modes...
    (ironic laughter)
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Sega82mega
    4232 posts Member
    https://www.gamesradar.com/e3-2021-schedule/

But I guess it's EA play 22 july thats interesting for us hockey fans..?
  • Follisimo
    1318 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Nah if you remember they usually don't give NHL the time of day for EA Play. It's the NHL Awards that is when the game is shown and talked about.

• Sega82mega
    4232 posts Member
    edited June 7

Nah if you remember they usually don't give NHL the time of day for EA Play. It's the NHL Awards that is when the game is shown and talked about.

Ah yes now when you mention it - I guess the same goes even though NHL awards may be postponed - beacuse of this covid season...? 🤔
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Ah yes now when you mention it - I guess the same goes even though NHL awards may be postponed - beacuse of this covid season...? 🤔

Yea I think so. I believe one of the YouTubers confirmed that NHL 22 was also included in a Q4 report or something, meaning another October release - but this hasn't been confirmed.

So the same as last year - about a month behind from the years previous.
  • Sega82mega
    4232 posts Member

Yea I think so. I believe one of the YouTubers confirmed that NHL 22 was also included in a Q4 report or something, meaning another October release - but this hasn't been confirmed.

So the same as last year - about a month behind from the years previous.

Gonna be a looong summer - but I guess I can live with that...

(... And nothing is written in stone yet...)

😊✊
  • kezz123
    647 posts Member
    edited June 15

Will definitely add some realism.

Frostbite aaand next gen.

We’re in for something good Boys! 😮👌

If you inverted the left and right and said the right was the upgrade, it likely still wouldnt raise any eyebrow. pretty minor except in that screen where the sleeves become long sleeves on the frostbite instead of short sleeves!

To me anyways, at this point, unless the game gets a major redesign, its hard to be excited for anything else coming out.

The whole current design philosophy of offensive players beiing able to dangle like the son of crosby and spiderman while defense is "simulation" to allow all the 11 year olds black guys with red hair #69 (which is now basically 90% of whats left of the community) to score their 3-6 goals per game is pure cancer. This game never felt so far away from a simulation than since they actively tried to make it a simulation.
  • Sega82mega
    4232 posts Member
    I would be pretty excited just by the move to next gen - without any frostbite in the picture.

But now I get them both - and hand on my heart - never been as excited for a new hockey game like I am for 22.

Thats even before I seen any trailer.

I dont feel it's wrong to have high hopes for 22.

But all this said from a guy that find 21 to be the most realistic game I ever played from EA.

But I do know we are many people that feel different for 21.
    I would be pretty excited just by the move to next gen - without any frostbite in the picture.

But now I get them both - and hand on my heart - never been as excited for a new hockey game like I am for 22.

But all this said from a guy that find 21 to be the most realistic game I ever played from EA.

21 is the closest EA has gotten, that’s for sure. Definitely not by default but with sliders, it’s hard to argue that it’s not the most realistic experience they’ve delivered. Maybe that’s what makes the lack of attention to the AI or simply how shallow and poor the default tunning is so frustrating to me. A really gods experience seems so close yet attempts to get there seemingly haven’t happened. Like, the small NZ AI improvements went such a long way in terms of a more enjoyable and realistically challenging experience, I really can’t state that enough. Imagine a year where in-zone offense and defense really gets a deep dive rather than adding a “new” feature like the underwhelming tieups or skating styles. The difference would be nothing short of incredible.
  • Sega82mega
    4232 posts Member
    edited June 16

21 is the closest EA has gotten, that’s for sure. Definitely not by default but with sliders, it’s hard to argue that it’s not the most realistic experience they’ve delivered. Maybe that’s what makes the lack of attention to the AI or simply how shallow and poor the default tunning is so frustrating to me. A really gods experience seems so close yet attempts to get there seemingly haven’t happened. Like, the small NZ AI improvements went such a long way in terms of a more enjoyable and realistically challenging experience, I really can’t state that enough. Imagine a year where in-zone offense and defense really gets a deep dive rather than adding a “new” feature like the underwhelming tieups or skating styles. The difference would be nothing short of incredible.

Nice to hear that coming from you - a very respected man.

You said it pretty good - fair and square, and I agree.

The feeling that it's 'so close' makes it even more frustrating.

But thats why I think next try (22) - have the potential to grand slam.

🤷‍♀️

🤷‍♀️

Yeah - I hate to be this guy: and while I agree there’s potential - they have loads of potential in NHL 21 they didn’t capitalize on - yet they didn’t - why wouldn't they do the same for 22?
  • Sega82mega
    4232 posts Member
    edited June 16

🤷‍♀️

Yeah - I hate to be this guy: and while I agree there’s potential - they have loads of potential in NHL 21 they didn’t capitalize on - yet they didn’t - why wouldn't they do the same for 22?

Getting closer 'the click'.

But yeah - im ofc not 100.

But im sure curious to find out.

And to be honest - is it that common that a new edition (realese) is actually a step back from the previous?

I feel from 15 it's always been some improvements - all though not always that big or notable - there's always been a minor step in right direaction.

I cant be all alone feeling that way, huh...? 🙄

🤷‍♀️

And to be honest - is it that common that a new edition (realese) is actually a step back from the previous?

I feel from 15 it's always been some improvements - all though not always that big or notable - there's always been a minor step in right direaction.

I’d agree that every year year they’ve gotten better this generation. I just don’t have faith in the tuning ever improving because our competitive e-athlete friends in the community aren’t capable of analyzing their own issues with the game and then suggesting tuner improvements to remedy those issues. As long as their voice is the voice of the community (lol) we’ll never see a well-tuned game online.
  • Sega82mega
    4232 posts Member
    edited June 16

🤷‍♀️

I’d agree that every year year they’ve gotten better this generation. I just don’t have faith in the tuning ever improving because our competitive e-athlete friends in the community aren’t capable of analyzing their own issues with the game and then suggesting tuner improvements to remedy those issues. As long as their voice is the voice of the community (lol) we’ll never see a well-tuned game online.

I do have some mix feelings for new generation and engine.

It feels like a necessary step - aaaand it can be soo cool right from the start - but im also abit afraid there will be some 'beginner mistakes'.

Will see how much 'fire' we will throw against EA. Just in a few months... 🧐😳😬😊

*be ready with your flame-thrower...
  • EA_Aljo
    3203 posts EA Community Manager

🤷‍♀️

We are listening to the community as a whole, not just the eSports competitors.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

🤷‍♀️

We are listening to the community as a whole, not just the eSports competitors.

I’d hope but the meta seems too stale and centered around 6s for me to believe otherwise.

🤷‍♀️

It feels like a necessary step - aaaand it can be soo cool right from the start - but im also abit afraid there will be some 'beginner mistakes'.

I’m much more excited to see PES ditching the fox engine and moving over to UE than I am to see EA doubling-down on frostbite...
  • Sega82mega
    4232 posts Member

🤷‍♀️

I’m much more excited to see PES ditching the fox engine and moving over to UE than I am to see EA doubling-down on frostbite...

-That- I can - understand.

Unfortunately - my football intrest is not what it use to be - therefore 100% EA hockey.. 😜