EA Forums - Banner

Unforgiving physics for defense, nonexistent physics for offense

299lbi0kd0uy.gif

My defender's stick touches the laces of one skate and I get a tripping penalty. Meanwhile, the puck carrier runs into the boards with his skates and the puck, with his stick GOING THROUGH THE BOARDS, maintaining possession of the puck the entire time.

Physics?

Replies

• Im not going to arguee against you.

But I have another problem.

And this video shows it pretty good.

Why is it so common thing to do, exactly like that puck carrier will do... Boost speed, follow the one side of the board, and then as soon as he gets a little pressure, he pump the brake, and throws the backhand pass to a teammates thats behind him. No one try to continue forward instead of put on the break. Sometimes it goes so fast so they dont have the time they need to brake before they glide over the blue line.

Gives a pretty uneven rhythm... Full blast. Brake to zero, full blast... And so on.

If you go forward, go for it.. Even if it means you will have to take a hit.. And if you choose to go back.. Don't pump the brake and just throw a blind pass to someone thats behind you... Instead you turn on your controller, LS, and go back home with your back against the O-zone.

This way it's easier for you to have better controll of the puck and your skater.
  • Sorry man. This is intentional to create "skill gap" .... Meaning the game is designed reward those who have enough "skill" to believe that rules of physics should not inhibit the abilities of the offensive player. I see they haven't made a believer out of you yet, but if you listen exclusively to the "elites," you too can acquire this skill.
  • Sorry man. This is intentional to create "skill gap" .... Meaning the game is designed reward those who have enough "skill" to believe that rules of physics should not inhibit the abilities of the offensive player. I see they haven't made a believer out of you yet, but if you listen exclusively to the "elites," you too can acquire this skill.

I know you're being facetious and I completely agree with your sentiment. With that said, there could easily be a skill gap in this game while also resembling hockey.

They could make shooting less forgiving based on your accuracy with the thumbsticks somehow (holding all the way to the left makes the shot go wide left, etc), or make passing more manual, or make you lose the puck if you go too hard on the right thumbsticks when stickhandling, or lose an edge if you go too hard on the left thumbstick. All these things could interact with player attributes as well. These things would create an actual skill gap. Right now it is more of an exploit gap.
  • Jagavekov wrote: »
    Sorry man. This is intentional to create "skill gap" .... Meaning the game is designed reward those who have enough "skill" to believe that rules of physics should not inhibit the abilities of the offensive player. I see they haven't made a believer out of you yet, but if you listen exclusively to the "elites," you too can acquire this skill.

I know you're being facetious and I completely agree with your sentiment. With that said, there could easily be a skill gap in this game while also resembling hockey.

They could make shooting less forgiving based on your accuracy with the thumbsticks somehow (holding all the way to the left makes the shot go wide left, etc), or make passing more manual, or make you lose the puck if you go too hard on the right thumbsticks when stickhandling, or lose an edge if you go too hard on the left thumbstick. All these things could interact with player attributes as well. These things would create an actual skill gap. Right now it is more of an exploit gap.

I know you're being serious and I completely agree with your ideas. With that said, "skill gaps" have been proven to keep micro transactions low.

They could take their design and development, talent and abilities, and try to make the best games in the world. But from what I've heard, the real talent doesn't want to work at EA. They use it as a stepping stone because it's such a miserable place to work. If you were a talented designer or developer, would you want to make subpar broken games and design them to manipulate kids into spending money on ancillary content?