EA Forums - Banner

Poke checking needs to be fixed! Way to easy for players!

Prev1
Melon1495
posts New member
Yeah it's very annoying! I'm Constantly being poke checked from behind Which really **** me off! I just lost a game which I should have had a break away but somehow poke checked without tripping and I went to the replay after game and his stick went through my skates and was Nowhere near the puck but still got the poke check! I think it's Ruining the game they need to tone it down a bunch!

Replies

• j0rtsu67
    615 posts Member
    edited March 5
    Forum glitched, double post. Sorry!
  • Video would be nice.
  • EA_Aljo
    2699 posts EA Community Manager
    Melon1495 wrote: »
    Yeah it's very annoying! I'm Constantly being poke checked from behind Which really **** me off! I just lost a game which I should have had a break away but somehow poke checked without tripping and I went to the replay after game and his stick went through my skates and was Nowhere near the puck but still got the poke check! I think it's Ruining the game they need to tone it down a bunch!

As @j0rtsu67 mentioned, video would really help. We need to see what happened so it can be reproduced before it can be addressed. Thank you!
  • You are doing something wrong if you think the pokes are good.. I play forward on lgnhl and I rarely ever get poked as it's so inneffective people don't use it much.
  • Follisimo
    1088 posts Member
    I believe they have weird physics where a poke check out and coming back can disrupt the puck but on it's way coming back it magically won't trip people. Maybe you get that to happen. There are times where so many pokechecks would simply be guarded away by a hand like in real life but not in this game. It's like their way of balancing things. Take the good with the bad and bad with the good.

• Welp, here’s to another year of no offensive accountability. This is the “proof” needed to keep status quo.
  • Sega82mega
    3249 posts Member
    I think average poke checks each game gotta be over 100. It is abit insane how many abuses this defensive tool, but if you don't care of playing defense, a fury of pokes may bail you out.

Just too bad it destroys the game to 50%.

But would be strange to not have pokes in the game, and truth is that poke checks in generally is in a pretty good place.

But it's like you have a ak-47, 75-round drum magazines standing in a dark room and just fire it all up. Why save some bullets.
  • As far as poke checking: all I see is the "magic puck" engine at work. I've gotten good at dislodging the puck without taking a penalty, but the other team usually recovers it instantly.
    I believe my personal record is 7. Meaning I poke checked a player 7 times in a row on a single possession before a shot or pass was made.
  • IceLion68
    1221 posts Member
    I can only infer based on this post, that poke checking effectiveness must be very different in modes other than EASHL...?
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    I can only infer based on this post, that poke checking effectiveness must be very different in modes other than EASHL...?

Of course same conditions(settings) for every mode but I dont think you can compare modes were you only focus on your own player against modes were you have 4 CPU that never throw a poke. In that aspect EASHL must be a totally diffrent experience.

Sounds mushy, with 10 players trying to poke at the same puck at the same time.

But I shouldnt express myself of things I dont know..
  • MdMc11
    41 posts Member
    My favorite is whenever you make a smart, timely, well executed defensive stick play but oh wait! Now you’re out of position and behind the puck carrier who’s now on a breakaway because the puck magically slingshotted right back to his stick. It’s so fun and rewarding to do anything right in this game!!!
  • MdMc11
    41 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

As @j0rtsu67 mentioned, video would really help. We need to see what happened so it can be reproduced before it can be addressed. Thank you!

Asking for video clips is the EA go-to. I agree that they SHOULD be beneficial but nothing has come of the majority of video submissions. It’s not worth the effort truthfully.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1646 posts Member
    edited March 11
    MdMc11 wrote: »

Asking for video clips is the EA go-to. I agree that they SHOULD be beneficial but nothing has come of the majority of video submissions. It’s not worth the effort truthfully.

Maybe that's because most of the video submissions show players doing something wrong and the game playing out the scenario properly.

• Sega82mega
    3249 posts Member
    edited March 11
    I dont know myself what I would think of this.

But cause ive notice it's not that common to play passive defense with help of easy use of L2 and LS.

Thats why I thought it would be good/cool if defenders that actually try to play the righteous way could get something for it...maybe would encourage more to do it.

And I was thinking something with.. If you are holding down L2 it could somehow activate a more powerful/accurate poke check...

But I have no idea how this would work in reality.

• EA_Aljo
    2699 posts EA Community Manager
    MdMc11 wrote: »

There have been many issues resolved from player submitted videos. They absolutely help the dev team reproduce bugs. However, many of the videos we receive claim that something is broken when it's not.
  • MdMc11 wrote: »
    My favorite is whenever you make a smart, timely, well executed defensive stick play but oh wait! Now you’re out of position and behind the puck carrier who’s now on a breakaway because the puck magically slingshotted right back to his stick. It’s so fun and rewarding to do anything right in this game!!!

Oooo yeah that’s my favorite! Watching the forward warp into a puck pickup animation after getting poked which flew up and hit his shin pad which then bounced behind the defender which made the defender go into a seamless puck pickup animation but the forward wins it without any skill involved whatsoever and now gets a breakaway! We have selective physics all over the place but can’t do anything about these scenarios, that’s just physics.
  • I was thinking about poke checks.

And why it's such a common tactic to just hustle towards the puck carrier with a poke check.

I come to the conclusion this way of playing is probebly the only way for alot of people to break loose the puck.

A poke check can never be more effectively then if the player thats about to poke check comes from the opposite direaction of the puck carrier.

The Technical performance you need to master to be able to backskate to follow the puck carriers direaction and at the same time poke loose the puck when both you and the opponent travel in the same speed-direaction is something not many people feels comfy with. So in other words, playing zone coverage or playing defense with gap-control is not a popular phenomenon cause they dont know how to get the puck at the same time there backskate and poke.

But it speak for itself that a poke check that be like a car-collision will most likely break loose the puck, if the poke checking player also run on hustle there will even be a more powerful stick collision.

I dont exactly know what I mean by all this, but of course I wish this way to play wasen't so common, it can really stress the gameplay, and that backskate and poke at the puck carrier could be more manageable for people to do.
  • amxblade
    188 posts Member
    edited March 21
    I think one of the issues is that it's easier to throw and random poke check spam than it is to actually hit someone in this game. All your opponent needs to do is hit LB or hold their stick to the side and magically they're invincible to a hit.
  • What gets spammed more... poke checks or loose puck dekes and ballerina spins?
  • What gets spammed more... poke checks or loose puck dekes and ballerina spins?

Lol they all do, welcome to NHL Fortnite edition, where hockey is just a suggestion.