EA Forums - Banner

When are you going to fix the power play?

2ebnua7gfgpw.jpg
f40jbcpjqour.jpg

Rivals and Champs is a bloody nightmare. You try to drive to the slot or behind the net and opponents don't even try to play defense.

They intentionally take penalties or spam poke check to force you on the outside and the point.

Then when you slap / snap shots from the point through a screen with a deflection. The goalie saves 90% of them. Buuuut gives up weak cross crease shots that literally go infront of the goalie that they can easily just stop with their stick and cover up?

The type of logic on scoring bias is pretty awful.
Any game in the NHL when players bomb the net with point shots will go in when their opponent is collapsing infront of their net and not defending the point.

Not to mention when a goalie makes a save from a point shot. They're slow... when the shot is 90+ Mph.

This needs to be balanced so that players who continually INTENTIONALLY take penalties to avoid getting scored on should have their teams nerfed. If they are incapable of playing proper defense in the first place. Why are you screwing over players who ARE playing a better defensive and offensive game?

Replies

• The first picture. I stopped playing after the second period. It's pointless to play when this happens.
  • EA_Aljo
    2704 posts EA Community Manager
    SturmWolfe wrote: »
    2ebnua7gfgpw.jpg
    f40jbcpjqour.jpg

Rivals and Champs is a bloody nightmare. You try to drive to the slot or behind the net and opponents don't even try to play defense.

They intentionally take penalties or spam poke check to force you on the outside and the point.

Then when you slap / snap shots from the point through a screen with a deflection. The goalie saves 90% of them. Buuuut gives up weak cross crease shots that literally go infront of the goalie that they can easily just stop with their stick and cover up?

Any game in the NHL when players bomb the net with point shots will go in when their opponent is collapsing infront of their net and not defending the point.

Not to mention when a goalie makes a save from a point shot. They're slow... when the shot is 90+ Mph.

This needs to be balanced so that players who continually INTENTIONALLY take penalties to avoid getting scored on should have their teams nerfed. If they are incapable of playing proper defense in the first place. Why are you screwing over players who ARE playing a better defensive and offensive game?

Can you get some video of your power play? It would be good to see what you're struggling with. Personally, I set up in my O zone and work the puck around. I use a lot of one touch passes. One play that works great on the PP for me is to pass from one of the points down to the opposite wing and then back across to the wing on the other side. It usually takes a bit to set this up so there can be a couple of passes between the Ds or passing down the boards and back up. Constantly making very quick and in most cases, one touch passes. This pulls defenders out of position and let's good passing plays develop. However, most people don't seem to have the patience for this and just force cross-crease passes. Which most often result in a turnover.

The lack of patience, in general, is a huge contributor to how the game plays. People complain about the trap, but they don't have the patience to move the puck around in the NZ to create open lanes. They don't cover the puck with their goalie and instead keep fatigued players on the ice. You don't see a lot of people trying to set up a good cycle. If more had this patience, you'd see better plays and a game that plays out more like real hockey.
  • nyi95
    164 posts Member
    Little confused here EAAljo. In the first paragraph u say u have to make really quick passes .
    2nd paragraph u say to have patience. I've tried the patience thing. Don't work. Imo, any relevance to playing"real" hockey in this game is absurd. It's an arcade game. There is no real hockey in it. Let's just stick to calling it an arcade game .
    Funny thing is though, if u look deep enough there is a hockey game just dying to break out.
  • EA_Aljo
    @nyi95

I'm not saying it's one or the other. I'm just saying what helps me be successful on the PP. My comment about patience is in relation to not overly fatiguing your players, which drops their ratings. I was also talking about how gameplay changes when you're more patient with creating open lanes instead of skating as fast as you can and forcing shots/passes.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    SturmWolfe wrote: »
    2ebnua7gfgpw.jpg
    f40jbcpjqour.jpg

Can you get some video of your power play? It would be good to see what you're struggling with. Personally, I set up in my O zone and work the puck around. I use a lot of one touch passes. One play that works great on the PP for me is to pass from one of the points down to the opposite wing and then back across to the wing on the other side. It usually takes a bit to set this up so there can be a couple of passes between the Ds or passing down the boards and back up. Constantly making very quick and in most cases, one touch passes. This pulls defenders out of position and let's good passing plays develop. However, most people don't seem to have the patience for this and just force cross-crease passes. Which most often result in a turnover.

The lack of patience, in general, is a huge contributor to how the game plays. People complain about the trap, but they don't have the patience to move the puck around in the NZ to create open lanes. They don't cover the puck with their goalie and instead keep fatigued players on the ice. You don't see a lot of people trying to set up a good cycle. If more had this patience, you'd see better plays and a game that plays out more like real hockey.

My problem doesn't actually stem from not being able to score on the power play. The problem is players who know how to play the game and exploit scoring opportunities without having to actually play proper defense.

This is more of a matter of players getting away with griefing. In CHEL you get booted from the game for taking 3 penalties in a short period of time. The same should also go for HUT. There's no excuse for laziness.

It's not a man advantage when your opponent is equally skilled defensively but is just looking to cut corners to avoid being scored on without playing actual defense. They're looking to stop the play for a whistle in hopes of gaining back puck possession.

Both screen shots you will notice the time on attack. If the other player was truly more skilled. They wouldn't be ragging the puck in their zone or neutral zone to kill penalties.

Ultimately, it doesn't make for a good player experience and you end up with stand still game play with a million whistles blown until someone gets a lucky bounce.
  • 2jvgj2s98f1d.jpg
    wun4bogmqk3j.jpg
    8elw15bt6690.jpg

Here's an example of how well the power play is balanced and how a game goes on with an opponent who just wants to spam poke check the entire game.

I humored them for the first half and decided to do the very same thing to them. Guess how that ended up? Them on a 5 on 3 and me scoring a short handed goal because the power play is broken.
  • nyi95
    164 posts Member
    EAAljo. Thx for the response. I've done that in the last little while before i stopped playing. In rivals i would sit back and see how my opponent would approach the game. Would he try for cross creases, go full tilt, etc. and i would adjust. U know, if they're going to do it, so am I.

I find playing patiently is quite difficult. The puck will be knocked loose immediately even if im protecting it.

Two things imo would make playing patiently better. U guys have to figure out how to slow the game down. It's just too darn fast. Second, make the puck loose. I've gone into replays a few times and to me it seems like the puck is following a script( sorry for that terminology).

There's other issues as well, don't have to tell you , i know, but just those two things might make it( at least for me) a bit better to cope with. Sega has been posting about this for a while now. I think he's right.

Hope that doesn't
    get to your head Sega ole pal, lol.

• Sega82mega
    3251 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

I'm not saying it's one or the other. I'm just saying what helps me be successful on the PP. My comment about patience is in relation to not overly fatiguing your players, which drops their ratings. I was also talking about how gameplay changes when you're more patient with creating open lanes instead of skating as fast as you can and forcing shots/passes.

It's good tips. No doubt.

What's got to me... That 'proves' how little patience people got with this game.

Is when people got their mic on and comments the way I play.

They seem confused. They even got angry. I bealive they think im a puck ragger, but then after a while when I might try a dump and chase.. I can really feel the question-mark through the mic... It's like I am from another world, out of space...

And all this confusion just beacuse im trying to play more like hockey and less like everyone else.

But you gets taken for being a fool....

🤔
  • Sega82mega
    3251 posts Member
    edited April 7
    nyi95 wrote: »
    EAAljo. Thx for the response. I've done that in the last little while before i stopped playing. In rivals i would sit back and see how my opponent would approach the game. Would he try for cross creases, go full tilt, etc. and i would adjust. U know, if they're going to do it, so am I.

I find playing patiently is quite difficult. The puck will be knocked loose immediately even if im protecting it.

Two things imo would make playing patiently better. U guys have to figure out how to slow the game down. It's just too darn fast. Second, make the puck loose. I've gone into replays a few times and to me it seems like the puck is following a script( sorry for that terminology).

There's other issues as well, don't have to tell you , i know, but just those two things might make it( at least for me) a bit better to cope with. Sega has been posting about this for a while now. I think he's right.

Hope that doesn't

Hehe naah im cool and im with you.. People dont seem to understand how fast we are going, which makes everything... Bad... The easiest way of sayin it.

You are also right... playing patiently is quite difficult... It is... Cause you will get under a furious pressure from the opposite side.. That will force you to play 'fast' hockey.. It takes alot of practice aaaand patience to figure this playstyle out...

And it still makes me frustraded from time to time.. When you loose pucks to these maniacs on the ice.

*offline is a great mode to practice a diffrent style to play other then how everyone plays online. This more patience style seem to fit offline much better.
    Bf1 had some great sliders for NHL20, were he had adjusted the sliders to match a more slow/controlled gameplay/pace.
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • EA_Aljo

Hope that doesn't

You have the option to slow the game down, but said you don't have the patience. In that case, would a slower game be fun for you? It's pretty amazing what can be accomplished when there isn't as much reliance on hustling any chance you get. Again, this also lowers attributes so a lack of patience is going to have a bigger effect on the game. I could see this leading to the feeling of higher-rated teams unfairly losing to lower-rated teams.

I'm not saying the game shouldn't be slowed down, but there are ways to play it slower and that can make for more realistic play. You can also play Online Versus where player ratings aren't inflated.
  • Sega82mega
    3251 posts Member
    Slow down the game speed or not, in generally I think the game speed itself is good. But everyone that play this game needs to be aware of the speed, feel the speed.

What we see in this game isn't always what it is.. That explain alot of the tripping calls we gets and un-controlled poke spamming.

To get it to flow, everyone needs to 'understand' what they see happens on the screen.

Im having a hard time to match up my own speed I set up.. So I can only imagine how hopeless it must be for other's that constantly using the hustle, it must be impossible to play defense and offens for that mather.. The puck must live it's own life..

• nyi95
    164 posts Member
    EAAljo, i think you misunderstood me. I said playing patiently is quite difficult, not that i don't have the patience. I guess I'm referring to old gen. The game then seemed to give you more of a chance at seeing everything happening at a not so frenzied pace. Like Sega mentioned, you slow down and the cpu controlled players attack so fast you don't have time to set up anything.
    Do you have access to play an old gen ps3 version? I can play that on superstar and feel like I have a chance. Win or lose it was fun trying. This game(21) not so much. That's why I stopped playing. Too much frustration, not enough fun. I've never uninstalled this game until this year. I don't know, maybe it's just me. I know there's people out there than can play better than me. It's just that when I sit down and play I want to have fun with it. My old eyes and reflexes can't keep up.

I am going to wait and see what the team brings to next gen. Hope it's fun.
  • Sega82mega
    3251 posts Member
    When it become a contest of who will cross crease first and the 'best' (or the only known way to do it) is by forcing the speed by help of hustle and laser passes.

You wont get a satisfied gameplay.

Cause you also need to take to account that no one plays defense in a way that were 'suppose' to do.

Just a frenzy hunt on the puck carrier, and a puck carrier that try to do everything he can to play 'keep away'.
  • EA_Aljo
    EAAljo, i think you misunderstood me. I said playing patiently is quite difficult, not that i don't have the patience. I guess I'm referring to old gen. The game then seemed to give you more of a chance at seeing everything happening at a not so frenzied pace. Like Sega mentioned, you slow down and the cpu controlled players attack so fast you don't have time to set up anything.
    Do you have access to play an old gen ps3 version? I can play that on superstar and feel like I have a chance. Win or lose it was fun trying. This game(21) not so much. That's why I stopped playing. Too much frustration, not enough fun. I've never uninstalled this game until this year. I don't know, maybe it's just me. I know there's people out there than can play better than me. It's just that when I sit down and play I want to have fun with it. My old eyes and reflexes can't keep up.

I am going to wait and see what the team brings to next gen. Hope it's fun.

Thanks for the additional details. I haven't played the 360/PS3 version since NHL 15 so it's been a while for sure. I know the AI played differently though. If you're talking about the PP/PK in Rivals, AI players won't poke, hit or lift. So, you should be able to pass around them pretty easily. In SB, they will still perform these functions. That said, game speed is another issue and one we've seen mentioned a number of times since 21 was released. The best you can do currently is try to slow things down with your own play, but if you're already doing that and are still frustrated, you might find a better experience playing Online Versus. That way, the lower overall players will naturally slow the game down.
  • 2rsqp13eiuya.jpg
    jvmimvprclrb.jpg

Here's more examples. Except I decided to get penalties. Still out play them but for whatever reason their team plays better. Their team was a 89 ovr. 🥴🥴🥴

Again. I have to try 10 times harder with 95 over team. This game is a joke.