EA Forums - Banner

Penalty shots

Gifto73
126 posts Member
Penalty shots need to be cut down. I have an idea! How about you go to 3v2 and only give a 1 min penalty. If you take another penalty while down 3v2 then the other team gets awarded a penalty shot. Penalty shots a pretty much %98 a goal. Might make for a better overall game experiance

Replies

• IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    or....just stop taking so many penalties? :D
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • You clearly did not play 3's when it was penalties not penalty shots from fouls. People abused the system to hell and back, it was "fun" playing against 3 cpus on a 5v3 when getting dominated in your own end by the bots. And the matches lasted atleast triple the time it should with 4minute periods..

Either learn to get the puck without giving a pen or go play Threes, even harder to get a penalty there than it is in 3's
  • Did you even read what I posted? Did I say anything about playing 5v3? or even 4v3? I don't take many penalties thank you very much. My idea would not have you play bots at all.
  • @Gifto73 isn't advocating to a return to the old system. He clearly wants 3v2 for the first penalty and penalty shots for subsequent ones. No additional AI or time added to the game.

And he has a point. Penalty shots as they are right now are all but a guaranteed goal. Looking at my 3s stats, even a shlub like me is 38 of 42. And two of those misses are due to the black screen bug ( which EA hasn't fixed despite what the patch notes say ). Taking less penalties is all good, but when even average players can score at that pace it really means you can never take a penalty in a game you're not blowing the other team out of the water.

It would be one thing if penalty shots took skill to score on. But every year there's at least one go-to move that fools the goalie every time. This year the "move" is just about the most low-skill/high-reward thing I've seen in an EA NHL game in a long time. At least a 3v2 power play would give you a chance to recover from a mistake. The other option is for EA to fix the game so there isn't such an easy go-to move, but history shows they're unwilling or unable to do so.
  • Sy0ph4 wrote: »
    You clearly did not play 3's when it was penalties not penalty shots from fouls. People abused the system to hell and back, it was "fun" playing against 3 cpus on a 5v3 when getting dominated in your own end by the bots. And the matches lasted atleast triple the time it should with 4minute periods..

Either learn to get the puck without giving a pen or go play Threes, even harder to get a penalty there than it is in 3's

When was it ever like that? Since it was introduced to the series a 3's penalty has always been a penalty shot...at least in 3v3 EASHL club
  • Gifto73
    126 posts Member
    Actually when it was first introduced it was a 2 min penalty so most of the game was 4v3 and 4v4.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4770 posts EA Community Manager
    @Gifto73 isn't advocating to a return to the old system. He clearly wants 3v2 for the first penalty and penalty shots for subsequent ones. No additional AI or time added to the game.

And he has a point. Penalty shots as they are right now are all but a guaranteed goal. Looking at my 3s stats, even a shlub like me is 38 of 42. And two of those misses are due to the black screen bug ( which EA hasn't fixed despite what the patch notes say ). Taking less penalties is all good, but when even average players can score at that pace it really means you can never take a penalty in a game you're not blowing the other team out of the water.

It would be one thing if penalty shots took skill to score on. But every year there's at least one go-to move that fools the goalie every time. This year the "move" is just about the most low-skill/high-reward thing I've seen in an EA NHL game in a long time. At least a 3v2 power play would give you a chance to recover from a mistake. The other option is for EA to fix the game so there isn't such an easy go-to move, but history shows they're unwilling or unable to do so.

Do you think a 3v2 situation would result in the same goal success rate then? If that's the case, would a 3v2 feel like a waste of time where you'd rather just get straight to the penalty shot?
  • @Gifto73 isn't advocating to a return to the old system. He clearly wants 3v2 for the first penalty and penalty shots for subsequent ones. No additional AI or time added to the game.

Do you think a 3v2 situation would result in the same goal success rate then? If that's the case, would a 3v2 feel like a waste of time where you'd rather just get straight to the penalty shot?

I have no reason to believe that 3v2 would result in a goal more than 90% of the time. That's why I said OP had a point. The state of penalty shots right now is that they are nearly a guaranteed goal. 3v2 would at least give you a chance to recover from a mistake.

Ideally penalty shots would trend towards a more realistic success rate ( NHL historically is roughly 33% ). Or at least require a high skill level to pull off at an unrealistic rate. The current problem is that there is currently a no-skill move that has a success rate that is beyond unrealistic to the point of being game breaking. It's been a problem for years, but this year's go-to move is the worst yet.
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    I have no reason to believe that 3v2 would result in a goal more than 90% of the time. That's why I said OP had a point. The state of penalty shots right now is that they are nearly a guaranteed goal. 3v2 would at least give you a chance to recover from a mistake.

Ideally penalty shots would trend towards a more realistic success rate ( NHL historically is roughly 33% ). Or at least require a high skill level to pull off at an unrealistic rate. The current problem is that there is currently a no-skill move that has a success rate that is beyond unrealistic to the point of being game breaking. It's been a problem for years, but this year's go-to move is the worst yet.

What he said - I mean I am a dman and I'm old **** so I got no moves when it comes to penalty shots for the most part... I probably score at about the NHL rate LOL, But ya, most kids are able to pretty much score at will and yes, it's game breaking. The term "glitch goal" comes to mind. Though I know thats a bad word around here...
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • JJKAYLER36
    37 posts Member
    edited May 4
    or have the goalies have adaptive AI and react better to the same shot or pass